Whats Your Audio / Home Cinema Setup?

• Thread starter 2ez2KiLL
  • 866 comments
My audio setup:

Sony Mf400 @ 150 watts
Sherwood Reciever @ 100 watts
Bose Cube Speaker Rear surrounds (i stole from my parents bose system :P)

Total Spent: Speakers 100+ Reciever 100+ Bose Cube Speakers (stolen from parents, but sell for 200 something on ebay)

I know my system is weak.. but it does pretty good for a 200 dollar system :)

Whats ur setup?

Here is mine for my tv.

Sorry I ripped the add right off the website.

I am happy with it. It sounds nice in my room.

I don't have a set up for my computer. Only headphones.
3114550l.jpg

5-DISC DVD/CD/SUPER AUDIO CD RECEIVER AND 6-SPEAKER SYSTEM
You can have it all in one box. Imagine the reality of a 5-disc DVD/CD/Super Audio CD receiver and 6-speaker system with 500 watts of total system power (80 W x 5, 100 W x 1). Enjoy the simplicity of the colour-coded speaker connections for easy, almost instant set-up. Listen to the awesome sound from the Dolby® Digital, DTS™ and Dolby® Prologic decoders. Experience the power of a Dream. System includes: · 5 Disc DVD/Super Audio CD/CD/ · Video CD player/receiver · 5 Matching front, centre and rear speakers · 100W subwoofer Amplifier features: · 80W x 5 power output · 100W x 1 subwoofer output · Dolby® Prologic · Dolby Digital® DTS · Multi-channel Super Audio CD Features: · Digital Cinema Sound · Precision Drive 2 · 10-bit video D/A converter · 1-bit audio D/A converter · CD-R/RW playback · DVD/CD/Super Audio CD text · Disc exchange · Shuffle/program/repeat play modes · Advanced smooth scan · Smooth slow · Digital tuner with 20 FM and 10 AM presets

In the living room (all prices are when-new):
Sony 32" WEGA TV
Sony DVP-S725 DVD Player, £450
Sony STR-DB940 Dolby Digital Receiver, £400
Bose Acoustimass 15 5.1 speaker kit, £1,000

In the study
Marantz CD-65II SE CD Player £?, inherited.
Sony MDS-JE520 Minidisc deck, £130
Marantz PM-7200 Amplifier £235
B&W DM602S3 Speakers, £250
Atacama 6SE Stands, £60

Originally posted by Slick6
The auction. Unless you don't want to show your name or how much you paid or anything. I'm just curious.

Oh right, OK. Here you go.

There's hundreds of them about. And it's a damn fine unit, you just need to feed it a quality signal.

I got pics of mine.. Finally, my mom got me the 5 mp camera :)

Front And Center Channels
Sony SS-MF400 Fronts
JBL Lx-300 Center

546DSC00118.JPG

Rear Surround:

Yamaha NS-6490 (Got these yesterday)

546DSC00119.jpg

And Finally!! My cheaps**t brand reciever/dvd

546DSC00121.JPG

Coming Soon: Dual 1000 Watt Momo Polk Audio 12" Car Subs :)

My Current Audio Set Up Is
- A Camebridge Soundworks 100-125 Watt Sub
- And A Really, And I Mean Really Old Sony Speaker Connected To The Sub
- Also My Guitar Amp Is Connected To The Sub

Yep Very Unconventional

Well, if i do get a new tv, my 6 pack will turn into an 8 pack.. Of jelly rolls of course, but if i save for a bike.. I might be able to get this 6 pack down to a 4..

I've got some KOSS TD.61's and UR15C's.

UR15C
UR15C_lg.jpg

Frequency Response: 25-15,000Hz
Impedance: 32 ohms
Weight: 5.8 w/o cord
Sensitivity: 92 dB SPL/1mW
Distortion: 0.3%
Ear Cushions:
Cord: Straight, Dual Entry, 8ft
Plug: 3.5 mm

TD61
TD61_lg.jpg

Frequency Response: 25-15,000 Hz
Impedance: 38 ohms
Weight: 5.4 oz.
Sensitivity: 93.5 dB SPL/1mW
Distortion: <0.5%
Ear Cushions:
Cord: Straight, Dual Entry, 8ft
Plug: 3.5 mm/6.4 mm

Headphones - good topic. Is anyone using cordless headphones? I'd like to, but I'm afraid the quality and comfort isn't there yet. I could pay $150 for good ones if they were actually that good. Any suggestions?

My friends dad has a pair of either Sony of Pioneer wireless headphones (I don't remember which brand exactly--I'll ask him tonight.) I tried them out a few weeks ago and the sound quality is good, but like you said, the comfort isnt there. The earcup isn't exactly a cup. It more of a flat surface with some squishy material covering it. Not very comfortable at all. They were pretty heavy too. :(

The heaft is going to be a problem, I'm sure. But improved earcups shouldn't be too difficult. Hmmm, guess I need to shop around.

2ez is on the right track, Senneheiser's are great. 👍

I'm actually looking at a pair in advance to go with an ipod (not wireless of course).

Sennheisers are good for private listening, i.e. when you're in your home and you want loud music without anyone else hearing it. However, their open-backed nature (particularly the PXT100 models) means they're appalling for use on public transport, because they let in outside noise and let your noise out.

For iPod use, consider Sony Fontopia-style headphones. They're tiny, and go right into your ears. I have a pair, and they're fantastic.

I've decided that my stereo is better than all of yours put together.

I found a cool techno song that proves it - Come on over, I'll show you. ;)

Originally posted by Burnout
I've decided that my stereo is better than all of yours put together.

I found a cool techno song that proves it - Come on over, I'll show you. ;)

If you like techno, you're likely to prefer your stereo to mine. It's a setup issue.

So, what you got?

Originally posted by GilesGuthrie
If you like techno, you're likely to prefer your stereo to mine. It's a setup issue.

So, what you got?
I'm not one for techno, but this song stretches through a good amount of the audio spectrum.

Want a good song for testing your audio setup? Robert Miles - Children - Dreams Version. Great for that purpose.

Now, as far as 'what I got' goes, not a whole lot in the big name department. What I do have is a great ear and mucho knowledge in audio. I've got a mixture of hand me downs, old components, and ones that were sitting in the attic.

All together, and set right, it sounds increadibly...increadible?

Basically, the highs are crisp as heck, mids are clear and balanced, and the bass is defined like crazy. When turned up it doesn't distort in the least from setting components correctly. If you want the wattage number, it's about a maximum of 700RMS, but the speakers can handle a lot more. I could get it louder, but my amps would start to distort and sound like crap.

A few components worth mentioning are two Polk bookshelf speakers, which were top of the line a few years back, 2x top of the line kenwood car subs in a ported bandpass box with a peak of 2500 watts.

I think you'd agree to it soundnig good in about every type of music you could throw at it. Come on over and I'll show you!

[edit]Oops - I meant 700RMS without the sub amp. Since it's running 4ohm, it's probably around 500 watts in itself.

Well, just got done installing all my speakers for my DTS ES and Dolby Digital EX 7.1 system. Here's a quick brakedown:

Sony Grand VVega 60" LCD
Denon 3805 Receiver
Nikko Sub Amp
Monster HTS 3500 Power supply/digital filter/line conditioner

Rockford Fosgate 12" subs in DIY cabs
Klipsch Reference Series
*Mains - RF-35
*Center - RC-3 II
*Side Surrounds - RS-3 II
*Back Surrounds - RS-3

Running 5.1 analog inputs from my Computer's Audigy 5.1 sound card for some serious 5.1 gaming or computer based media.

Here are some pics I just took tonight:

1 of 4
klipsch_fronts_01.jpg

2 of 4
klipsch_fronts_02.jpg

3 of 4
klipsch_fronts_03.jpg

4 of 4
klipsch_surrounds.jpg

The only addition that I have yet to make is a desent DVD player that will support All video formats, as well as WMP, HDCD, DVD-A, and SACD formats as well.

Oh my lord.. :drool: I think Pako just shut us all up. Now which one of you can top that?

Btw Pako if your planning to sell those when you decide to upgrade I'll buy your center or your surrounds :dopey: .

DODGE the VIPER
2ez is on the right track, Senneheiser's are great. 👍

I'm actually looking at a pair in advance to go with an ipod (not wireless of course).

Senns have excellent audio quality but, as Giles said, they're terrible for public transport. I've got a pair of Sony EX-51's for my mp3 player and they're quite nice. I should have spent the extra 15 bucks on the EX-71's though. Both of these are in-ear headphones which is really REALLY nice for when you're on the subway. I'm looking to invest in a pair of Shure e3cs or Etymotic er4p's

2ez2KiLL
Oh my lord.. :drool: I think Pako just shut us all up. Now which one of you can top that?

Btw Pako if your planning to sell those when you decide to upgrade I'll buy your center or your surrounds :dopey: .

Dang, didn't mean to kill the thread. In all honesty, this is a very humble system once you start seeing some of the other systems out there. I have been building this system for some time. Heck, the subs that are in use are a couple of 12" Rockford Fosgate punch series from about 15 years ago. It's been a very long process of which it will never be done. I'm currently looking into a DVD/SVCD/DVD-A player....

The quest for tone is never ending.... :)

Pako
The quest for tone is never ending.... :)

Ain't that the truth!

The problem I have is that the massive upgrade to the "study" system has made the "living room" system sound a bit rubbish.

The next step for me in the evolutionary chain of "Tone Quest" would be seperate amplification. I have been giving the Aragon 2007 as well as some B&K 200.7 amps serious consideration. I would use the Denon as a preamp for now, but if and when it gets outdated, I'd be looking into a non-powered pre to go with the seperate amp.

At roughly $2000 for the amp, the decision process will be slow.

http://www.klipsch.com/product/product.aspx?Cid=424
http://www.bkcomp.com/ref200_57.asp

Back