wheel or controller ?

• Thread starter Jake0
  • 10 comments
I used to swear by the controller, and that wheels and alternate controls for games were really just gimmicks. My last wheel was some old clumsy thing I had for the Nintendo 64.

Anyway, I picked up GT4P and the logitech EX wheel in a bundle for like $75, rather it was given to me as a gift.

I take back every bad thing I've said about wheels, at least force feedback wheels anyway. When entering into a corner, when the weight shifts in the car, you actually feel it in the wheel as it fights against you the other direction, and can correct it with near pinpoint accuracy since you "feel" how much you need to fight. Whereas in the stick, most actions are in reaction to what you see on the screen, so I chalk up to the wheel being better in that regard.

If not for that, the immersion alone is just amazing. Every little bump, nudge, shift of car, etc. is felt through the wheel. Of course, what you encounter is probably heavily dependent on the quality of the wheel, but I'm having a blast with what most consider logitech's "budget line" wheel, the EX.

This was two days ago I started, and since I've attained the wheel I have a revived love for racers/sims, so for me at least it does make that much of a difference.

I use the wheel.

YEEEEEESSSS! an unbelievable difference. it's more true-to-life, it allows you to make minute adjustments (immediately increased my laptimes by 5-10 seconds in gt4 and gt5p), etc, etc, etc.

If you're considering getting one, it'll be well worth your money. *hugs DFP*

I have both, but it doesn't matter to me. For racing online and time trial the wheel is better. Because you can make turns much smoother and seem to have more control. With the throttle as well. For drifting, personally i don't think it matters. I mean, i think it might be easier with the controller, but with the wheel you can be much smoother...

I don't like using the wheel all the time, because it's inconvenient. I hate putting it together and it's awkward. I play other games, so i don't want a built GT5P wheel setup in my house...Plus, when you bring girls over it makes you look like a loser...lol, i keep that stuff away. Get laid, then bring out the gaming toys when she leaves, lol.

I currently use the controller and definetly feel held back. Once the Driving Force GT comes out, that will be the wheel I get. Until then, it's controller.

I use a g25 wheel. There is a ton of difference. If you searched this topic you would have found ten other treads on the same topic. Some even have surveys.

When I first got GT5P, I was playing it with the sixaxis controller. Then I bought myself the G25 wheel but I didn't have the proper table/desk/playseat to setup the wheel so I got myself the DS3 until I can properly setup the wheel. Last week I've been playing with the wheel and only until I use the professional mode and turn the assist off (both in the wheel setup and the race option), did the wheel setup makes any sense. My lap times becomes slower at first and the cars seem to literally crawl in the corners but perseverance pays after a while. Sure, you can turn the assist on and use the standard mode with the wheel, but it becomes less challenging and immersive. The difference between the cars becomes more discernible: the Ford GT is a bitch to drive whereas the Mitsubishi Evo, grips the track like glue and the GT-R strikes a great balance between raw power, nimbleness and control (although it is twitchier than you might think). Now, using a gamepad is nothing more than a compromise.

I have always used a controller in all GTs until GT5P. At first I used the Sixaxis but it annoyed me a lot not having the rumble function.
So I decided to buy a G25. My chair and table is not perfect environment for it but it works somehow, I just can't play too much as my back starts to hurt after a couple of hours.

Anyway at first it was very difficult to get used to the wheel but now I would never give it back. I learned it the hard way forcing myself to drive Pro without aids and it helped a lot. At first I was almost always off track but now I can even manage TT in a Ford GT LM.

Recently I tried to drive my Viper the same way with the controller as with the wheel and it was completely impossible since I used to drive it with aids. Also funny was that when I tried the wheel in Standard with aids I was actually driving worse and more off track than in Pro without aids :crazy:

I used the controlller on the online time trials and always placed over 500th place. i went and bought the whell and a cofortable seat and stand and now im placing in the top 100th's place. The wheel does make a difference.

Back