Wheelie list

• Thread starter astroman
  • 16 comments
Post here the bikes that you know they can do wheelies or not.. read the previous post and ad whatever is not there.

my short list

CBR600RR
CBR600RR RM
GSXR600
GSXR600 RM
GSXR750
GSXR750 RM
CBR1000RR
R1
R6

Bikes that not wheelie

RG500
RG500 RM (weird but true!!!)
D-Tracker
XR250Supermoto

I think there's a lot of things that factor whether the bike can wheelie. Power is obviously one of them, but it's more in regards to acceleration. And also the weight distribution of the bike, and the center of gravity. If there's too much weight towards the front, it'll be hard to get the front off the ground.

I think they may have limited it more than that, though. Some bikes in real life will wheelie all on their own when you hit the gas. I think they limited that in the game so as to not make people crash so much (hitting the gas coming out of a corner, for instance).

The Ninjas wheelie quite well.

You can force alot of wheelies on some bikes as well. While breaking, shift your weight forward to do raise the rear. As it comes down, apply the gas and shift your weight back. This will cause alot of bikes, that normally can't wheelie, to do so. It'll even allow you to wheelie in the higher gears.

Jedi2016
I think there's a lot of things that factor whether the bike can wheelie. Power is obviously one of them, but it's more in regards to acceleration. And also the weight distribution of the bike, and the center of gravity. If there's too much weight towards the front, it'll be hard to get the front off the ground.

I think they may have limited it more than that, though. Some bikes in real life will wheelie all on their own when you hit the gas. I think they limited that in the game so as to not make people crash so much (hitting the gas coming out of a corner, for instance).

The Ninjas wheelie quite well.

Have you ever rode a bike? Do you think a Racing RG500 cant wheelie? I doubt it.. i rode a stock RG500 and i couldnt keep the front wheel down... Stock Hayabusa... this bike can go trough the gears on one wheel.... Kinda shame that a lot of stock bikes wouldnt wheelie...

i only rode a really bike in my life that cant wheelie easy and that was a goldwing 1500 (if you try you can wheelie that too) everything else from 50cc and above wheelies (exept long wheelbase harley crap!)

I think it turned out like that since Polyphony Digital uses a Physics engine for thier bikes, instead of testing each one. Thats why I think the hayabusa can't wheelie, because it weighs a lot. I know it can wheelie in real life, but compare the level of this game to the first GT. This game is phenominal.

Ive gotten the Hayabusa to wheelie using the what I call "rocker technique" you must shift your weight forward and backwards and use the front brake, as some one earlier has posted.

astroman
Have you ever rode a bike? Do you think a Racing RG500 cant wheelie? I doubt it.. i rode a stock RG500 and i couldnt keep the front wheel down... Stock Hayabusa... this bike can go trough the gears on one wheel.... Kinda shame that a lot of stock bikes wouldnt wheelie...

What are you talking about? My point was that the physics engine that PD created makes bikes that should wheelie not wheelie. It's mathematics, not "which bike does it in real life".

You make an odd post in agreeing with someone while at the same time insulting them.

And to answer your question, no, I don't ride bikes. I prefer the stability of four wheels when I'm driving in real life. However, knowledge of bike riding isn't relevant to this conversation.. it's about the physics programming of the game, not about the way a real bike drives.

They made the same mistakes in GT, remember.. letting the computer automatically do things that make the car totally different from it's real-world counterpart, rather than fine-tuning them specific on a per-car/per-bike basis.

The problem with making everything human controlled is playability. I know there are hardcore people out there that wants a true and real experience, but marketability wise, that's not a good idea. Hardcore players represent a small niche market of the consumers. They so make the game playable for casual players and challenging for hardcore players, they need to make a compromise and make the game a ratio of arcade:realistic.

You say that PD made the same mistake with the GT series and I say they are making great progress. Each game they release seems to define the game even more. Beautiful graphics and more "realistic" handling. Is it truely realistic? No, but honestly that's okay. Having it too realistic takes the fun out of the game. Anyone remember Ferrari 355 Challenge or something similar to that name? Chances are no. ;)

SnyperP
You say that PD made the same mistake with the GT series and I say they are making great progress.

I wasn't referring to the control or realism, which has indeed improved every time. I was simply referring to how they program a single component, and just apply it with those same settings to every single car in the game, regardless of whether that car behaves that way in real life.

A good example is the TVR Speed 12. They give it traction control, which is fine, since a lot of casual gamers wouldn't be able to drive the thing otherwise, despite the fact that TVRs don't have traction control. But it's applied with the same "generic" settings as every other car. Even with TC maxxed out, the car will still spin the tires all the way into fourth gear. That simply isn't realistic, regardless of how much power the car has. The Bugatti Veyron in real life has significantly more power than the TVR, and yet it'll barely bark the tires off the line. It worries me that if that car, or one like it, is in GT5, that I won't be able to actually use any of the car's power, because of the crappy application of generic traction control.

That's the sort of mistake they made there, and it's similar to how they applied the wheelie/stoppie physics to the bikes in TT. The restrictions that they set in place for the casual gamers, and the "generic" settings applied to the bikes causes most of them to be very difficult, or impossible, to wheelie, even though they can do it in real life just by gunning the engine.

I think part of the problem is PD's insistance on including as many vehicles as they can. With so many cars/bikes, they're forced to apply generic settings to all of them, since it would take far too long to actually tweak each car/bike to exactly match it's real-world performance. In most cases, this works, because of how the physics engine reacts to things like power, weight distribution, suspension settings, etc.. but it doesn't work for everything. We saw it in GT, and now we see it in TT. It's a flaw they should pay more attention to for next-gen, and hopefully they can.. the extra space on the disc and the extra computing power of the Cell could allow them to create more individual tweaks and settings.

i figured out how to wheelie by accident.

I didnt relize you could move your rider forward and backward with the left analog stick. I was on the racing modified scooter when i noticed it. I started wheeling with the green 8hr bike. wheelie from 30-180 mph :P Ended up wheeling too mush and the bike went like a top with out my rider on it.

I got my NSR250 to wheelie as well as the small scooters. Actually the NSR wheelies really easy from a standing start, just hold the brake, rev it like crazy, and as you release the brake use the down button on the D-Pad. Just like pulling a proper wheelie by dumping the clutch!

Of the 14 bikes in my garage, I've gotten them all to wheelie from the line, some while in higher gears at speed. My only complaint, is if you are up on one wheel, the bike doesn't turn at all. And I've seen plenty of people up on one, change lanes, turn shallow corners, stuff like that. This game keeps you on the exact line your rear tire was on, the moment the front wheel leaves the ground.

Other than that, wheelies and stoppies are pretty easy. The GSX-R 750 will overrotate backwards, before it ever moves 20 feet.

Rob

Back