When do you quit turning into corners

• Thread starter katpeeler
  • 18 comments
80710A06
katpeeler
Ok....this might sound stupid but here it goes. I play with a Fanatec wheel, all assists off. With that being said, when taking corners in ANY car you get a Force Feed back on the front wheels of when they start to break traction. At this point I normal start to hear them starting to squeel in which I quit turning into the corner and try either to slow down or whip (with E brake) the rear out a little...I would still have wheel left to turn but I wouldnt. BUT I do notice that I can sometime continue to turn and I will some of time keep my line or drift off slightly...But at this point I am past the point of FFB and it just feels funny,...So not trying to get into a "tuning" problem I was just wondering if people turn past the FFB or try to keep on the "bubble":confused:

Are you using throttle manipulation and downshifting? Weight transfer etc? Ever heard of the "Scandinavian flick"? It's done in circuit racing too, but to a much milder degree though.

Sim or normal steering? What about title updates and Fanatec firmware updates? You got all that?

I don't have much experience with a wheel (none with this game) but with a controller I can somehow feel the car, or maybe I'm doing it visually, so I usually correct any slides almost as soon as they start.

Also you can get some telemetry thing up (down on d-pad on controller, not sure for wheel) and if you go through a few tabs there should be one with the tyre friction levels, if they've lost grip it will show red, if they still have grip it will show green and will tell you how much of the available grip you're using, so you can have a look at some of your driving and could find time by seeing where you could use a little more power.

If I figure that I'm not going to make the corner the usual way then I'll turn in as normal and try to scrub off as much speed as I can and hopefully make the corner.

Yeah OP, telemetry might help. And it does seem like you're overturning a bit.

Like 2121 said, visualization helps tremendously. I've always played with a controller. And on instinct, I'm able to correct slides. Of course, manipulating the throttle properly and entering/exiting corners in the right gear plays a pivotal role.

Be very gentle and precise with your steering inputs. It comes with time and practice. :)

Yes, I have all the updates for my Wheel....As far as my steering I think Im using Sim....

Maybe next weekend I will have the time to look at my telementary and see what my tires are doing.. I think you right and that Im over steering but like I said it seems to help and my over steering is still puting me in the right direction. But they are squealing bad.....I guees I need to stay on my bubble....

Yes...

Practice entering corners in the right gear.. and rely on the revs and throttle to steer you out of it.

This should help. Give it a go.

The basis of cornering : before you enter the corner make sure you have the car pointing in the straight line on the outside of the corner towards the apex you want to get around. Press the breaks and break in a straight line. Stop breaking and make sure you have the car in the right gear and start turning in, you can stop turning in and start turning out as soon you can see out of the corner and you can press the throttle again. That means also that you only press the throttle when you don’t have to lift of again (many people make the mistake and go on and off on the gas when exiting a corner because they think it`s faster but it is sent). And remember the exit of the corner is far more important than the entry of the corner. Also try to prepare the cars weight shifting for the corner that is coming up, that means if I try to get left hand corner that I start at the right side of the track pointing the car in a diagonal line towards the apex, then while I am breaking I put the weight of the car at the front and the right side of the car. That means that before I steer in to the corner I have the weight of the car under control, so if I start to turn in the car won’t break out of control. ( see it as follow, If I push you suddenly to the side you will fall. If I push you softly you will lean into it, the car reacts the same.)

The basis of cornering : before you enter the corner make sure you have the car pointing in the straight line on the outside of the corner towards the apex you want to get around. Press the breaks and break in a straight line. Stop breaking and make sure you have the car in the right gear and start turning in, you can stop turning in and start turning out as soon you can see out of the corner and you can press the throttle again. That means also that you only press the throttle when you don’t have to lift of again (many people make the mistake and go on and off on the gas when exiting a corner because they think it`s faster but it is sent). And remember the exit of the corner is far more important than the entry of the corner. Also try to prepare the cars weight shifting for the corner that is coming up, that means if I try to get left hand corner that I start at the right side of the track pointing the car in a diagonal line towards the apex, then while I am breaking I put the weight of the car at the front and the right side of the car. That means that before I steer in to the corner I have the weight of the car under control, so if I start to turn in the car won’t break out of control. ( see it as follow, If I push you suddenly to the side you will fall. If I push you softly you will lean into it, the car reacts the same.)

Although this isnt what I meant on my original question but this helps me out alot..

Another observation I would like to share. I dont have any car racing experience in real life but when I was a little younger I did ALOT of dirt bike racing. And in Motocross I started the habit of looking more in front of my bike wheel than further down the track, This mainly because of ruts/humps/jumps and that the track is constantly changing. I am a firm believer of where you look at is the direction you go. So during my Sim racing I still had my habit of looking only a few yards in front of me in corners. But I started looking way further up the track and my car automaticly would point in that direction. This may or may not make sense but I seem to be going into corners ALOT smoother than I was. ;)

So during my Sim racing I still had my habit of looking only a few yards in front of me in corners. But I started looking way further up the track and my car automaticly would point in that direction. This may or may not make sense but I seem to be going into corners ALOT smoother than I was. ;)

I turned OFF the braking line a few weeks ago, and having it off has really helped me keep my eyes down the track. I doubt it made me faster, but it certainly made me smoother.

The braking line is pretty conservative, it suggests a number of braking spots that just aren't needed. If you're careful you can pass the AI and a lot of players online by flying through while they brake for no reason.

The braking line is pretty conservative, it suggests a number of braking spots that just aren't needed. If you're careful you can pass the AI and a lot of players online by flying through while they brake for no reason.

Braking line is the only assist I have (if you dont call normal driving an assist)...And I have thought of taking it off.....Maybe since Im "looking past" the braking points now I might can.....👍

The braking line assist is a decent start for someone who's just getting into sim racing. Otherwise leave it off, especially since you're looking to improve your driving skills.

And yeah, focusing further down the track, where it almost meets with the horizon is where you want to be focusing, unless there's a lot of overtaking going on. Focusing way wayy down the track like this helps you pick the perfect line and establish good braking points, before entering corners. And like you said, your car points where it should, as you, the driver, is eagerly anticipating where the track leads to.

In car racing you would always look as far ahead as possible. Because you would want to drive the shortlists and straightest line between exiting a corner and the next breaking point. Track knowledge is a another thing you want to have. Learn the track get to know it, take a slow car and slowly go around a track and learn where the breaking points lay, know were the exit points of the corner are. Is the corner flat, is it ‘’on (positive)camber, this type of corner helps you corner with more speed but it also creates over steer or. is the corner of (negative) camber, this makes the corner slower because it creates under steer. Basically you want to have as much track knowledge as possible and learn how a car behaves under Wight shifting since now you have 4 wheels and 4 points were the Wight can go. Instead of 2 on a bike.

Braking line is the only assist I have (if you dont call normal driving an assist)...And I have thought of taking it off.....Maybe since Im "looking past" the braking points now I might can.....👍

So here's how I weaned myself off of the braking line: When I started playing Horizon, I turned the braking line OFF, turned the AI difficulty down to MEDIUM, and left rewind ON. I spent plenty of time overshooting braking points, smashing into walls or other cars, flipping, etc, but with rewind and the forgiving collisions, I was able to progress through the game and get used to having the line off...

I went back to play a little FM4 last week, and left the line OFF, AI difficulty to HARD, and rewind ON. With these settings and racing E, D, and C-class FWD cars, I didn't really have much trouble beating the AI on every race (by the end of the first lap, most times). Rewind was really only used when I overshot a high-speed braking zone badly or smashed up my car. The tracks that I found the most difficult were the ones without "distance to corner" (150, 100, 50m signs) but I was able to figure out other markings to use as braking points.

Good luck! You can do it!

^ Catalunya and Silverstone in particular can be a pain to figure out when to brake. Silverstone is a real troll of a track.

Ive been playing more online when I boot it up and I just would hate to ram someone off the track and get booted out....Ill see how I feel next time I put the game in

Back