which digital camera??

• Thread starter kikkoman
  • 14 comments
hey all,
i think this is the most appropriate place to put this thread, but anyways

im looking for a digital camera to buy but i have no idea what to look for.

all i know is that i want high quality photos
option to record film/video
alot of features
digital zoom
shutter settings
errr..
i think thats all i want.

you guys have any ideas of a decent priced digital camera that have these features and/or more?

if so, could you help me out.

thanks heaps in advance.

Photography and graphics section... :)

Most cameras will record some video, but will have no sound. If you're looking to make videos, buy a camcorder.

Most have a lot of features.

Stay away from digital zoom, focus on optical.

How much do you want to spend?

For my all around camera, I'm thinking about buying the Sony DSC-F717.

http://www.dpreview.com/

umm...you NEVER want to use digital zoom. Photoshop does a good enough job at it. get one with a good lens.

Originally posted by Monster7
Photography and graphics section... :)

Most cameras will record some video, but will have no sound. If you're looking to make videos, buy a camcorder.

Most have a lot of features.

Stay away from digital zoom, focus on optical.

How much do you want to spend?

For my all around camera, I'm thinking about buying the Sony DSC-F717.

http://www.dpreview.com/

whoops, sorry..err...how do i move threads?

ok cool, i think ill stay away from digital zoom then...lol
i would like to spend max $700AU

Originally posted by emad
umm...you NEVER want to use digital zoom. Photoshop does a good enough job at it. get one with a good lens.

ok thanks heaps.

i would like the camera to have movie and sound...
and i do not want to get a digital cam corder because of my cheap-ness...

but anywho - thanks for the replies guys.

To move the thread go to Admin Options: Move / Copy Thread on the bottom right hand corner of this page.

As for the camera, it's a rule of thumb to get a device that does one thing good, rather then two things half-assed. Unless you're going to spend upwards of $1400AU, the movie mode(s) will be very limited.

The camera I mentioned earlier ( Sony DSC-F717 ) has an unlimited 16fps mpeg movie mode, and you can find it for around $7-800AU on eBay.

I recommend a Canon Powershot S50. I have an S45 and it is an incredibly well engineered camera that takes fantastic photos. The manual mode is excellent and allows you to take excellent photos in low light, which is what I wanted when I was looking for a DC.

Video's reasonable, but not great. But I think that a DC should really be used only for taking stills. If you want to make movies, buy a DV-cam.

I have MY eyes on the Canon Powershot G3 and the A80. Both compare about the same. G5 is good too, but more money and not much more features than the G3. Canon cameras use pretty good lenses and image sensors, so quality is good.

Nikon has very good cameras, although cost a lot more. Sony is just... blah...

This was taken with a "blah" Sony. :lol: Medium res.

Monster7-DSC01163.jpg

Originally posted by I6-4-eva
what's wrong with digital zoom? i use it all the time i think

digital zoom, after about 4-5x will make the picture pixelated - it's the worst thing you can do if you are interested in graphic arts. Digital zoom also lowers the max resolution of the images you shoot.

For me, I have a 5 megapixel Nikon Coolpix 5000 (maybe 5100, i forget) with 4x optical zoom and a 256 meg memory card. I'm gonna have TONS of fun with it when the car show hits town :D. So far, with the 4x Optical, we've never once needed the digital zoom for my parent's customers. (It's a print shop and we take our own photos for the graphic work)

Monster7! Did you personally take that picture? Who's the girl? I'll take the whole package! Minus the rims.

I agree with chaser_fan. The Canon S45 is one of the best DC on the market. The S45 is 4 megapixels and the S50 is 5 megapixels.

what you want to do with the camera is more important than anything. I have a cheapass cam (sony dsc-p31) that is only 2.1 megapixels, it serves its purpose perfectly, ie taking snapshots. the only thing i'd want different is a optical zoom (but you know not to pay attention to digi-zoom anyhow).

IMO unless you plan on printing you pics out professionally, you dont need more than 3.0 mega pixel. 3.0 megapixel is fine for anything viewed on your computer.
movie length is determined by the size of avaliable memory. and if you want sound with your movies it'll take up more memory still. you can obtain still immages from digital movie cams.

Originally posted by Viper Zero
Monster7! Did you personally take that picture? Who's the girl? I'll take the whole package! Minus the rims.
I would of liked to take the picture. :) It is from dieseldigital.net

well
the reason why im looking for a digital camera is to use it for my visual arts assessment for my HSC,
i plan to use digital because not many people do - most people rather using manual SLR cameras which i find fun to use, but a pain to develop.
and yeah...
that sony dcs-f717 does have almost everything which is cool, but i think its out of my price range.

but thanks for the help anyway.
:)

Back