Which wheel gives you the best times?

• Thread starter holl01
  • 21 comments

holl01

(Banned)
GTP_D.Holland
I've been using the good old ps1 controller ever since the first gran turismo.
Suprisingly, my times using this controller r quite decent, but I was wondering if using a steering wheel as opposed to an ordinary controller improves your times at all. And if so, which steering wheel is the best one for gran turismo?

I suggest, try a wheel first. If you get supprisingly good lap times, then a wheel is for you.

Which wheel you ask? One that works.... Most are good. Get a Logitech though.

Which version of Gran Turismo are we talking about?

Still, I wouldn't suggest you to buy a wheel just to improve your lap times. That possible improvement alone won't justify the price of the wheel imo. And some people are better with the controller than with the wheel.

However, the wheel will bring a higher depth to the control of the cars in Gran Turismo. If it's this added realism that you're looking for, then buy the wheel. Now!

The best wheel has got to be Logitech's Driving Force Pro.

I've only just splashed out on a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, and was unsure if I'd get on with it or not. I've tried many different steering wheels on the PC and never really got on with them. But the Driving Force Pro is brilliant. I'd given up on some of the lessons in Prologue, but when I tried them again with the Driving Force Pro I was able to get my times down with plenty of practise. It does make the game a lot more enjoyable. So much so that I now play it everyday after work, where before I might only play it once a fortnight.

Cheers

Jamie

j8mie
I've only just splashed out on a Logitech Driving Force Pro wheel, and was unsure if I'd get on with it or not. I've tried many different steering wheels on the PC and never really got on with them. But the Driving Force Pro is brilliant. I'd given up on some of the lessons in Prologue, but when I tried them again with the Driving Force Pro I was able to get my times down with plenty of practise. It does make the game a lot more enjoyable. So much so that I now play it everyday after work, where before I might only play it once a fortnight.

Cheers

Jamie

This from the creator of "Is anyone getting bored of GT4:P yet?". I think that speaks volumes for the wheel itself...

Good work Jamie... now you can try and mop up those golds... I see that your numbers have been changing a bit as you only had about 15 the other day...

C.

Yeti/Toler - Cheers guys. I've completly changed my view of the game. It's so much more fun now. More life like, and more challenging with the DFP. Yes my Golds have been going up and the bronzes are on there way down :D. I'm wanting to play it alot more now.

Cheers

Jamie

I got my wheel 2 weeks ago after major Um-ming and erring. :) It is fabulous. I have mine hooked up to my wifes ironing board. However the other day I accidental flicked the lever on the ironing board and it crashed to the floor with the DFP wheel attached. :( Still the wheel seems to be working ok, but I am so worried I have done damage to it.

When I first used it, it seemed alot harder to turn. However maybe my twiggy arms are becoming stronger ;)

My vote goes to it's own forum area. We could swap cockpit designs and discuss better cornering techniques etc....

I still haven't beaten my times that I held using the Dual shock controller, but my driving style has improved.

I love driving the Ford GT40 around in Prologue. It is awesome, and my current favorite.

L8tr

Jen

j8mie
Yeti/Toler - Cheers guys. I've completly changed my view of the game. It's so much more fun now. More life like, and more challenging with the DFP. Yes my Golds have been going up and the bronzes are on there way down :D. I'm wanting to play it alot more now.

Cheers

Jamie

Good work buddy...

I want to get the DFP but I can't afford it... and as my PS2 resides in my lounge I have nowhere to use it on... I would have to get one of them foldy out playseats!!

I don't think my girlfriend would approve!!

C.

yeti
Good work buddy...

C.

What kind of man are you :scared: :scared: :scared: (What do you see when u look up?)
Its what your into, Enjoy
Dont let her have complete control :ouch:
Just Jesting!

Talk It over, :bowdown: :P
Be cool, :cool: Use your charm, and a little gentle persuasion, You wont no what your missing otherwise!

👍 :cheers:

:D ----V

yeti

C.
Ahahah!

torture.gif

Kidding man. :P

is there any lag with this wheel?? i remeber trying a mates wheel(a cheap one) and it wasn't very responsive, is this as good as you all say??
also if i got one i would like to get one of those racing seat and wheel holder things, has any one seen any good ones on the market or has anyone made one??
cheers

HUDSONJONES
is there any lag with this wheel?? i remeber trying a mates wheel(a cheap one) and it wasn't very responsive, is this as good as you all say??
also if i got one i would like to get one of those racing seat and wheel holder things, has any one seen any good ones on the market or has anyone made one??
cheers

I will admit that is does feel like there is a bit of lag when trying to turn quickly when you are already turning int he opposite direction. If your not sure, then see if any local shops have one set up, failing that, ask if they wouldn't mind setting one up for you to try. The worst they can say is no.

As for racing seat set ups, I found this great site the other day. Hope this is of help.
Ash Design

Cheers

Jamie

j8mie
I will admit that is does feel like there is a bit of lag when trying to turn quickly when you are already turning int he opposite direction. If your not sure, then see if any local shops have one set up, failing that, ask if they wouldn't mind setting one up for you to try. The worst they can say is no.

As for racing seat set ups, I found this great site the other day. Hope this is of help.
Ash Design

Cheers

Jamie

cheers, yeh good idea, as for the gamepod, i have seen this before and i like it, just the price tag of about £400.

^ you won´t have to go the whole way until the wheel actually locks in a racecar. the wheel is different with all the cars. street cars require more turning than the McLaren F1....

Back