Who do you think will be 2007 World Champion?

• Thread starter Ikas90
  • 51 comments
Felipe Massa seems to be going good at this moment, so I reckon he can do it, but Kimi Raikkonen seems to be a good rival so I don't know who to decide.

As for Fernando Alonso, going to McLaren... McLaren should be a competitive car next year.

I'm expecting, and hoping Kimi Raikkonen will take out the championship. Hopefully it'll be a close championship all the way through.

Kimi, assuming the changes at Ferrari don’t destroy them. Otherwise it’s between Kovalainen, Alonso, and Button.

Kimi, assuming the changes at Ferrari don’t destroy them. Otherwise it’s between Kovalainen, Alonso, and Button.

Remembering that there's a single tyre manufacturer in 2007 - from a manufacturer who has, for the last few seasons, been designing a tyre specifically for the single leading team it's attached to.

I know that. I completely expect Ferrari to dominate 2007. But there is still the fear in the back of my mind that over the next 4 or 5 years Ferrari will turn back into the team it was in 1995. :indiff:

And of course they could pull a 2005…

One from Kimi, Alonso, Button or Massa.

Side note, I think the constructors will either be a red whitewash or extremely competitive, we got atleast 3 teams from this season who are looking good for next season, Renault, Ferrari and Honda. McLaren I still reserve judgement on, they have lost some pretty big names behind the scenes, also Red Bull will be racing a car thats been in development for half of this season and designed by Adrian Newey..

Considering the difficulty Kimi Raikkonen has had to deal with in the past season, and doing so without complaint, not to mention a wonderful 2005 season that was not rewarded with reliability, I'd say Kimi is in the strongest position to take the title next year. Hopefully, Scuderia Ferrari isn't built like a house of cards just because their ace has gone.

I'm not sure if Massa will be allowed to race Raikkonen, but I think he'll mature. I don't see him as a champion yet.

Alonso will find himself in a less-reliable, slower car, and in a different sort of environment. Ron Dennis has a far different temperment than Flavio Briatore, and if Lewis Hamilton is the 2nd driver, one tough rookie competitor. Hamilton will have more testing experience with the car.

It's a make-or-break year Fisichella, he's got to blow the doors of Kovalanien (sp?), but even then, he's almost in a no-win situation, unless he wins 75% (or more) of the races and takes the title. Even then, i'm sure he'll be accused of "getting the best car" and "doesn't have to worry about Alonso" and "rookie teammate", so it's almost as if nobody wants him to win. Poor Giancarlo's in a tight spot, and the racing's far from started yet...

So overall, I think Kimi Raikkonen has the best chance of winning the title. But now that I'm weighing it all out, I'm sort of rooting for Giancarlo Fisichella, since he pretty much has no support.

I haven't looked forward to a new season in some time, but there's so many changes at the top, it's going to be quite interesting. Of course, there's the possiblity that Honda gets their act together, and Button just storms away with a title, which would pretty much shock all of us.

Transitions to another team usually mean one year of getting used to the car. This hasn't been the case with Massa. I think that the winner will be driving a red car.

I really want Kimi Raikkonen to win. I thought he deserved in 2005, but anyway. Maybe the bad luck will go away with him at Ferrari. Hopefully..

FormulaNone, you have some good points. I do believe there's going to be an adjustment period for Alonso, a la Schumacher when he left Benneton. But I definitely not count Alonso out of the championship race, as he is an amazing driver.

The Felipe Massa and Kimi Raikkonen inter-team battle will be interest. Felipe Massa has stated that when he joined Ferrari, he knew he'd be a second driver to Schumacher and tried to fill that role. He says now that Kimi has joined, he will not play the role of a second driver and battle Kimi on track.

With the loss of Jean Todt and Ross Brawn, I'm worried about Ferrari's top management - these guys were such crucial members of the team along with Schumacher, but they left a very stable environment.

Button also believes he will be able to contend for the championship, and the end of the season showed he might have the pace.

But its so exciting to wait for the next season, because for the first time in along time, things are so unpredictable!

Despite his moving to Ferrari (and me being a McLaren fan) I could see and part of me certainly hopes Kimi finally gets the world title he deserves. However, I can't see any reason to discount the likes of Alonso and Massa. So it'll be very competative next year

McLaren will still have reliablility problems. Even though Alonso is there, he can't change the car. Massa will be in the hunt but he'll have a season much like this year. IMO Raikkonen is gonna run away with it.

Bee

I don't, I think the car will give him a significant advantage but he has been faster than MS at some races so why not Kimi?

For a start he’s useless in the wet. If he’s challenging Kimi for the title, he can’t afford to have off races because he doesn’t know how to drive quickly on a wet track.

How many wet races were there last season? Not many, so can't you really say that will be a huge problem providing he's able to get the better of Kimi in the dry races

How often was Massa able to keep up with Michael for an entire race distance? Not all that many times, if I recall. I know it took Massa a long time to adapt, and I know he has really matured as a driver, but I think Kimi will consistantly beat Massa throughout the 2007 season.

You know, it could be a very close fight next year between Renault, McLaren, and Ferrari. Renault will decline a little, from losing Alonso's speed. Ferrari will decline a little, losing Schumacher, Brawn, and Todt. McLaren should improve a little, both from having Alonso, and a surely improved car. So, all three might be on equal footing. Of course, we won't know squat until March. Maybe Mark Webber will win?

What about Heikki Kovalainnen? Now he will be a rookie basically so maybe not win the championship, but he should in a good car, so you never know, some good points here and there. Also, should be interesting to see Mark Webber at RB since the car will be designed by Adrian Newey.

Last but not least, hopefully we will see Lewis Hamilton in the 2nd McLaren seat, and those who've been watching GP2 (myself included) know that this guy is capable. 👍

All that said, like I previously said, I really want Kimi to win. Even though I'm a huge McLaren fan and have been one since the Mika Hakkinen days, I'll still be rooting for Kimi even if he's at Ferrari.

This is slightly off topic, but I find it amusing that the Atlas F1 forums, for the high level of activity, is at the moment lacking the level-headedness of reasoning that this post has displayed. Maybe if you don't have an account already there, you should go help bring some reasonable voices to those forums.

How often was Massa able to keep up with Michael for an entire race distance? Not all that many times, if I recall. I know it took Massa a long time to adapt, and I know he has really matured as a driver, but I think Kimi will consistantly beat Massa throughout the 2007 season.

Plus when massa was appearing to keep up with MS, how fast and hard was MS actually pushing?

This is slightly off topic, but I find it amusing that the Atlas F1 forums, for the high level of activity, is at the moment lacking the level-headedness of reasoning that this post has displayed. Maybe if you don't have an account already there, you should go help bring some reasonable voices to those forums.
That's because the mods (thankfully) chase off all the idiots from this site, and they congregate elsewhere.

Well, let's take a look at the teams.

SA, TR, Spyker are, well, themselves. Won't challenge at all.

Williams and Toyota were unimpressive in 06. I don't think 2007 will be very much different. Williams might be able to do something with Rosberg and Wurz, who appear to be good.

Red Bull will probably have a good car, between their new engine and Newey working on the car in the off season. The men controlling the cars might hold them back. At Mclaren, DC was usually pretty far behind Kimi. Webber is pretty old. Not sure what he can do.

BMW Sauber have proven to be very quick in 2006. I would assume them to remain about the same in 2007, consistently finishing in the points, but not being a huge factor in the championship. Expect a challenge, though. May be similar to Honda of 06. A win wouldn't be too suprising.

Insert Toyota here if for 2007 they put thier fatty budget to good use.

Honda have picked up the pace toward the end of 06. However, their last "greatness," 2005 was the result of "cheating." I'd expect a win or two, but not a championshp from these guys. I do feel that the drivers could be very qualified though. Both had a decently qualified season in 2006.

Renault will miss Alonso. Fisi was consistently behind Alonso, although he did have a win. Kovalainen could either be a God or just suck. I'd expect him to follow the finnish tradition of being good from the start. He'll probably give Fisi a run for his $. This team did win the chanpionsip in the 1st half of the season with an illegal mass damper. These guys wil probably pale compared to the big guns at McLaren and Ferrari.

Don't expect McLaren to have a very good season. I don't think the car is very fast, although I am a fan. Personally, I think Kimi was just good enough to make the car competitive. (notice how the 2nd driver was never nearly as good as Kimi?) They will miss Newey, so the car should deteriorate a little further. Alonso's skill, however, sould do similar things compared to Kimi's. With the fate of other teams, Mclaren should be more competitive (maybe a win or two?).

Lastly, I think Ferrari will reassume the top step on the championship. Like other teams, they will miss their big hitters @ the top. I don't think they will fall very fast. (give 'em a few seasons). Kimi and Massa are good drivers. If Massa isn't, then the strength of the Ferrari was proven by his poles and Kimi will be uncontested in 2007. Ferrari's reliability will be key too. Kimi's luck, however, could follow him or it could me Mclaren, in which Alonso would see some bad times.

Here's the bias: I tried to give teams an equalish view in my mind. I am a die hard Mclaren and Kimi fan. It will be tough deciding what manufacturer to go with in 2007 (Kimi's red or Alonso's McLaren.) I also like Button. I honest;y don't really like Ferrari or Alonso, mostly because they are/were Kimi's main rivals at one point.

Error: Expect a lot of error from me. I generally get wierd ideas and follow them passionatly. I think my opinion is good to within +/- 15%. My comparison might also not be the best, going mainly off 06 events. Any team could do an 05 Ferrari or 2006.5 Sauber. As was said earlier, we'll see next spring.

GO KIMI!!!

[Renault] did win the chanpionsip in the 1st half of the season with an illegal mass damper. These guys wil probably pale compared to the big guns at McLaren and Ferrari.
It wasn't illegal. It became illegal mid-season, because of reasons which are still clear only to Charlie Whiting. That's one of the things I hate about F1: randomly banning random parts in the middle of a season. Let's just strip Toyota of that right-rear wheel hub, shall we?

Nevertheless, Renault seemed to struggle without that damper, because it was probably fundamental in how the aerodynamics were designed. It won't be an issue next year, as the car will be designed completely without it. Their driver lineup will be an issue. Fisichella is good, but inconsistent, and Heikki is a rookie, so all bets are off. I'd be surprised to see a World Champion from Renault next year, but they'll have a good car, so it's not out of the question.
philly cheese
Lastly, I think Ferrari will reassume the top step on the championship. Like other teams, they will miss their big hitters @ the top. I don't think they will fall very fast. (give 'em a few seasons).
I think this is a fair assessment. Next year, they'll still have a great car and team, but with only remnants left of their former dominance, a decline is inevitable in the coming years.

All that said, like I previously said, I really want Kimi to win. Even though I'm a huge McLaren fan and have been one since the Mika Hakkinen days, I'll still be rooting for Kimi even if he's at Ferrari.

Glad I'm not the only one, despite being the huge McLaren fan I am, I too will still be rooting for the Iceman despite his deflection(and of course Button, although obviously he doesn't have as big a chance of winning)

Heart says Kimmi and you should always follow your heart. he's come close in the mclaren before Alonso came along. now schuey's gone and kimmi's got his ride underneath him youve got to admit its going to take some beating. with alonso practically down grading in car the path should be clear for Kimmi!

Atlas F1's boards are quite the source, but only for the Nostalgia Forum (I've been there quite a bit) and Technical sections. I've been a member there for over 5 years now, and a reader of the site (when it was free) and forums for even longer.

However, I find the Reader's Comments forum is almost unreadable, as it's mostly fanboys shouting back and forth at each other about who's a better driver.

Here's the bias: I tried to give teams an equalish view in my mind. I am a die hard Mclaren and Kimi fan. It will be tough deciding what manufacturer to go with in 2007 (Kimi's red or Alonso's McLaren.) I also like Button. I honest;y don't really like Ferrari or Alonso, mostly because they are/were Kimi's main rivals at one point.
You sound very much like me. I happen to not like Alonso at all. I do admit he is a very skilled driver (Hungary this year proves that), but I still don't like him, and Kimi is still my favorite driver. I really liked 2006 for the competition between Schumi and Alonso, and it was very exciting seeing Schumacher catch up to him in the later part of the season. I'm still a Kimi fan though. I really hope he'll win next year and hopefully we'll see a battle for the championship too.

Back