Who enjoyed the Endurance Races in GT1?

• Thread starter Resident0
  • 13 comments
I know i did, when i first got the game and found out about them i was like 'Thats impossible!' but then i did the 300km Endurance All Night race, and i was doing 20 laps before school, got back, 20 laps, have lunch 20 laps and then it was done.

I never finished ALL the Endurance races though, but now im unemployed right now, im rectifying that situation as we speak!

Endurance races are great. It tests not only endurance but consistency. I remember my first try of Special Stage Route 11. It seemed very hard but I soon overcame that challenge. I had to in order to get the Gold IA license. And for the course I owe it all to the endurance race.

I'm racing GVS 300 and All night II in my current game. Last night I raced GVS with my Mazda RX7LM, up against a Supra, NSX, GT-R and Imprezza. Yes there is another car but I forget what it was, the usual lame duck. Did a bad qualify, in the sand @ the first corner, so started from the back. Took the lame duck and out braked on the first corner to grab 3rd, chased the NSX up over the hill and until the next lap where I out braked him into a corner and started on the Supra. Couple of more laps and I have caught the Supra, out braked him and got ahead, only to out brake myself into the sand again. Followed him around and was closing fast although the NSX was right behind me, up over the hill and tried to hold my top speed, straight onto the grass and then it's fish tail time to the corner where because I was fish tailing and trying to straighten up I hadn't slowed enough and back into the sand.

This time it was a bad stint and dropped to 5th, my tires were going bad quickly and I couldn't even catch the Imp. Swapped tires and started driving, got some good laps in with consistant 1.37 +- .2 and started to catch the other cars. To cut a long story short I got past them all 1 by 1 and ended up lapping up to 3rd place. It wasn't until I watched the replay that I realised that the NSX had stuffed up in the same place I had and had knocked me into the sand that dropped me to 5th in the race. If I didn't know the track so well I would have struggled to catch the cars up at all.

I don't like the RX7, everytime I went to brake from top speed, around 300KM/h, it would pull either left or right.

TMM
I don't like the RX7, everytime I went to brake from top speed, around 300KM/h, it would pull either left or right.

I think that's a sign of too stiff front stabilizers. Or perhaps ride height dropped too much. Or perhaps just try reducing the brake force.

This is the LM or the Aspec LM?

Either you're still learning, or the PAL version is significantly harder.

What laps did you pit, btw?

In the North American version, the AI NSX tends to nearly always lose control on the first lap on that rolling run between the first two hairpins.

SportWagon
I think that's a sign of too stiff front stabilizers. Or perhaps ride height dropped too much. Or perhaps just try reducing the brake force.

It could be either of the things you've mentioned, I haven't really tried to experiment to get rid of it. In fact this is the frist race I have really noticed it on, maybe when I do all night II I try a differnet setup. Hopefully tonight.

SportWagon
This is the LM or the Aspec LM?

I won the car so it's the A Spec LM.

SportWagon
Either you're still learning, or the PAL version is significantly harder.

Ohh it's the latter, deffinatly the latter. But you're never too old to learn!!!

SportWagon
What laps did you pit, btw?

I pit on laps 15, 30 & 46. I always try to last another lap or so when reaching the end of the race, just in case I have to fight for my place and need my tires to be in better condition. Depending on tire wear I will lap either at 10, 15, 20, 30, 40, 45 & 50, although the last 2 will be a lap or 2 more for the reason above.

SportWagon
In the North American version, the AI NSX tends to nearly always lose control on the first lap on that rolling run between the first two hairpins.

Is that region what I call the up hill section? In the PAL version the NSX did lose it by trying to corner @ full speed and their isn't enough road to compensate for the slide but it was about lap 5 when it happened. I don't think it had done it before then, but it was back in 3rd place.

TMM
It could be either of the things you've mentioned, I haven't really tried to experiment to get rid of it. In fact this is the frist race I have really noticed it on, maybe when I do all night II I try a differnet setup. Hopefully tonight.
That first hairpin at Grand Valley is infamous for this effect, (pulling to the outside,
usually), but I have noticed that softer stabilizers often make it go away.

I won the car so it's the A Spec LM.
Ah. Yes. That car is a little on the mediocre side.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-28.html

The special model RX-7 LM Edition however, is one of the best race-modified cars in the game.

http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-21.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-04-22.html
http://www.geocities.com/gt2toxs/gt/diary/1999-09-03.html

Is that region what I call the up hill section? In the PAL version the NSX did lose it by trying to corner @ full speed and their isn't enough road to compensate for the slide but it was about lap 5 when it happened. I don't think it had done it before then, but it was back in 3rd place.
I think so. I've often wondered if the AI cars dynamically learn from their mistakes. So perhaps in my game it is over-exuberant at the start, and then learns to throttle back, whereas in your game it slowly keeps speeding up until it loses control. I have been told the line in GT1 is pre-determined for each track, but perhaps the speed is learned.

I think my favorite race in GT1 of all was Grand Valley 300. I drove a Viper GTS a bunch of times. Once I used a Cebera LM, too. It's cool cuz there's a noticeable difference in tire wear in the 1st game (unlike GT2), so I'd qualify with soft tires (and get pole position easily!) and then do the race with hard slicks. At the start of the race, the GTS doesn't have very good traction; all the other cars whiz ahead cuz they've got 4WD (Skyline, GTO, etc.) or MR (NSX) so it becomes a challenge to catch up with the others. Plus, it would take me 5 or 6 laps just to fall into a 'groove' and get lower lap times. No matter what, I'd always mess up one of those first few laps, especially the Turn 1 hairpin.

I liked the SS Route 11 track, too, though I never tried it with my Viper. I remember I used an FTO LM car on that one.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
I think my favorite race in gT1 of all was Grand Valley 300. I drove a Viper GTS a bunch of times. Once i used a Cebera LM, too. It's cool cuz there's a noticeable difference in tire wear in the 1st game (unlike GT2), so i'd qualify with soft tires (and get pole position easily!) and then do the race with hard slicks. At the start of hte race, the GTS doesn't have very good traction; all the other cars whiz ahead cuz they've got 4WD (Skyline, GTO, etc.) or MR (NSX) so it becomes a challenge to catch up with the others. Plus, it would take me 5 or 6 laps just to fall into a 'groove' and get lower lap times. No matter what, I'd always mess up one of those first few laps, especially the Turn 1 hairpin.

I liked the SS Route 11 track, too, tho i never tried it with my Viper. I remember i used an FTO LM car on that one.

It can take a lap or 2 to get into the groove and lower the lap times. I'm also glad I'm not the only person who stuffs up on the first corner on lap 1. I also out brake myself sometimes if I'm trying to hard to catch up with the car in front.

TMM
It can take a lap or 2 to get into the groove and lower the lap times. I'm also glad I'm not the only person who stuffs up on the first corner on lap 1. I also out brake myself sometimes if I'm trying to hard to catch up with the car in front.

My only complaint is that enduros don't get recorded in their entirety. When you watch the replay, you only see the first 11 or 12 laps. I think I mentioned this before but I often start doing some magical stuff later on in these races...drift moves, battles with other lead cars..stuff like that. I sure hope GT4 or 5 will show the whole replay. Even a lo-res version would be cool with me.

Last edited:
Parnelli Bone
My only complaint is that enduros don't get recorded in their entirety. When you watch the replay, you only see the first 11 or 12 laps. i think i mentioned this before but i often start doing some magical stuff later on in these races...drift moves, battles with other lead cars..stuff like that. I sure hope GT4 or 5 will show the whole replay. Even a lo-res version would be cool with me.

I didn't know that, I just asumed that the whole race was recorded.

Parnelli Bone
My only complaint is that enduros don't get recorded in their entirety. When you watch the replay, you only see the first 11 or 12 laps. i think i mentioned this before but i often start doing some magical stuff later on in these races...drift moves, battles with other lead cars..stuff like that. I sure hope GT4 or 5 will show the whole replay. Even a lo-res version would be cool with me.
That's because of the PS/1 Not GT1, Try it on your PS/2, It can handle the 60 laps plus ++++++++++++++++++++++++!

HYBRIDLVR
That's because of the PS/1 Not GT1, Try it on your PS/2, It can handle the 60 laps plus ++++++++++++++++++++++++!

REally??? No way! I haven't tried watching a GT1 replay yet on a PS2, but I know the PS2 doesn't show entire GT2 race. But if you're using GT1 it does show the entire race?

Last edited:
Back