Who has the best race tracks?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 46 comments
Canada
Canada
I enjoy wasting time thinking about tracks, imagining "dream calanders", and I've often spent time thinking about who has the best tracks.

My approach to making this list is focused on the the ribbons of tarmac, and not on the facilities, amenities, proximity to an airport, etc. I look specifically at the challenge presented to the drivers, and the racing that the track creates.

I'm also going by current tracks in their current configurations.

U.S.A. - yes, they have an advantage due to size, population...they have more tracks, period. But in my opinion, it's not just the quantity of tracks that puts America at the top, rather it's the quality of the tracks, along with the quantity. Simply put, there are a lot of good race tracks in America. Road America, Road Atlanta, Watkins Glen, Sebring, Daytona, Lime Rock, Atlanta Motorsport Park, Barber, VIR, Mid Ohio, COTA, Leguna Seca, Sonoma, Miller Motorsport Park, Thunderhill, Willow Springs, Buttonwillow, Long Beach, and Pikes Peak as a wildcard.

U.K., Germany - for me it's a tie for second between these two. I think the UK has more quality tracks than Germany, but Germany has the Nordschlief, which is a ringer if there ever was one. But then again there's Isle of Mann, so maybe I give a slight edge to the UK.

Italy, Spain, France - again I can't seperate these three. Similar to above, I'd say Italy and Spain have an edge over France, but then there's Le Mans. Pau does a lot for the French cause in my opinion as well.

Australia - this one moves around for me. Some days I rank it as high as Italy or Spain, other days it's just a little behind. There really is a great selection of tracks in Australia, such as Sydney Motorsport Park, Philip Island, Albert Park, Surfer's, Adelaide, and of course mighty Bathurst.

Japan - I have a bit of a soft spot for the the Japanese tracks, so maybe I rate them a little higher than they really deserve...oh well. I'm a big fan of Sugo, Autopolis, Fuji, and of course Suzuka. Okayama and Motegi are also quite good. Tsukuba is a ringer for sure :P

Portugal, Belgium, Brazil, Netherlands, New Zealand - another five I can't seperate. Belgium is there because of Spa and Zolder, but I don't know too many other tracks from the small country. Portugal has a handful of good tracks, and has the Vila Real street circuit. Holland has Assen, Zandvoort, and a few others. Brazil obviously has Interlagos, but has quite a few other very raw but rather brilliant little race tracks. Sometimes I almost forget about NZ until I actually really think about it, but NZ has a good number of quality circuits: Hampton Downs, Highlands, Christchurch, Pukekohe, Taupo, and Teretonga.

Argentina - I really don't know too much about the tracks here, but the few I know of are quite good. If I did more legwork, I have a feeling Argentina might move up the list.

Canada - only really has three good tracks that I'm aware of, Gille Villeneuve, Mount Tremblant, Mosport (CTMP)....and Molson Indy Toronto, so four I guess. There's also a few others like Shannonville, Trois Rivière, and Mission Raceway, but they're nothing special.

Hungary, Czech Rep - these two only have one track each that I really know of, but I rank both the Hungaroring and Brno quite high in terms of being world class circuits.

Malaysia - I really like the GP track here, one of the few good "new tracks". Singapore is alright for a street circuit.

Russia, China - not many tracks that I know of.

Sweden, Finland - I know I should have these on here somewhere, but I don't know much about either of them :(

Qatar, Dubai, Thailand, Mexico - only one track from each of these that I know of. The track WTCC and Super GT used in Thailand seemed rather simple, but made for some good racing. I've lapped the Dubai circuit in pCARS, and if it weren't for the massive runnoff areas, this is actually a pretty damn challenging track. Only ever seen Moto GP from Qatar, but it seems alright. I like the old Hermano Rodriguez more, but the new one is still pretty decent. I'm curiois to see a wider variety of cars on it...WEC should be interesting.

Bahrain, Abu Dhabi - I don't think much of either of these tracks 👎 :lol:

That's about all I can think of, I'm getting tired. I know I probably forgot something, or got something horribly wrong :lol: How do you guys rank the tracks of the world by country?

Last edited:
Czech Republic has the underrated, underused but fantastic Autodrom Most.

Argentina has the utterly awesome Portrero de los Funes and the best circuit on the Formula E calendar.

Portrero is featured in Ride and I'd really like to try that out in a car game.

I think Germany takes it for me. Of their top tier tracks, you can't beat the variety of Nurb GP, Nordscleife and Hockenheimring.

Sweden, Finland - I know I should have these on here somewhere, but I don't know much about either of them :(
I can't say much about Sweden, but having driven around most of Finland's race tracks at least once, Ahvenisto really stands out. The elevation change is massive for such a short track which makes some of the corners absolutely magnificent, and the walls are almost always near so it has that as well. The track is 'not-just-a-bit' outdated in many ways though, the layout hasn't really changed since it was opened in the late 60s, and most of the off track infrastructure is still as it was in the 80s. Not that any of that makes it less of a magnificent track to drive around.

Czech Republic has the underrated, underused but fantastic Autodrom Most.

Argentina has the utterly awesome Portrero de los Funes and the best circuit on the Formula E calendar.
Ahh the ones I forgot about, starting to surface :lol: I completely forgot about Most, which I shouldn't have, as my father mentions it from time to time (he's Czech :P)

Beautiful!!

Portrero do los Funes is propably one of the coolest tracks there is...I need to see this in a game to one day to give it a go.

And I completely forgot about FE when making my list :lol: it was late :(

VXR
Portrero is featured in Ride and I'd really like to try that out in a car game.

I think Germany takes it for me. Of their top tier tracks, you can't beat the variety of Nurb GP, Nordscleife and Hockenheimring.
Personally I rank Sachsenring and even Oschersleben higher than the new Hockenheim, but that's just me.

FYI Isle Of Man is not actually part of the UK, it's a dependency.
That's too technical for me :P

Despite its simple layout (and the modern version butchered by chicanes), I always have a soft sport for Enna Pergusa in Sicily.

enna_lago_pergusa1_copy.jpg

Despite its simple layout (and the modern version butchered by chicanes), I always have a soft sport for Enna Pergusa in Sicily.

enna_lago_pergusa1_copy.jpg
I really like Enna Pergusa 👍 To me it's almost a "better" version of Monza. I don't find that the chicanes butcher the track at all. They make for some monster breaking zones, and each of the chicanes is quite unique and has it's own character.

My favorite chicane is the one on the backside of the track, seen at 1:15 in this video

I really like Enna Pergusa 👍 To me it's almost a "better" version of Monza. I don't find that the chicanes butcher the track at all. They make for some monster breaking zones, and each of the chicanes is quite unique and has it's own character.

My favorite chicane is the one on the backside of the track, seen at 1:15 in this video

As far as chicaned circuits go, I do think Enna is one of the better ones. I just love the old track for its simplicity. I'm generally not a fan of ovals but going around the perimeter of a lake is just unheard of. First time I saw the track I thought it's fictional :lol: And yes that particular chicane is probably the trickiest of them all. It's an absolute joy to nail it in GTR2.

You know, if you really like exploring all the different tracks in the world, you should get rFactor 👍 It's a pretty old game so you don't need a top of the line gaming PC to run it. My laptop is from 2008 with basic specs and it runs just fine (on the Lowest graphics settings though :lol:). Every single racetrack that has ever existed has probably been made for that game. My track collection is at 350 and counting :crazy: In fact I just added 3 more tracks from this thread.

I do notice each country generally has their own "flavor" of tracks:
Canada - very dynamic tracks with great views (Mont Tremblant, Mosport)
USA - huge variation of tracks. There's a desert type with bumpy surface and awkward off camber turns (Willow Springs, Sonoma) or tracks that are flat but awesome somehow (Road America, Sebring), or roller coaster rides (Watkins, VIR, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta), and of course ovals and numerous city tracks for Indy
Central & South America - hilly tracks or high altitude, with loooong straights and sweeping corners (Interlagos, Hermanos, Buenos Aires)
UK - lots of club tracks, short and narrow but a rollercoaster ride, also usually raining :P (Brands, Oulton, Knockhill, Cadwell Park). Also has lots of ex-airfield tracks (Silverstone, Goodwood)
France - flat technical tracks that are usually pretty boring (Magny Cours, Paul Ricard), bonus points for Charade & La Sarthe though
Germany - besides Nurburgring & old Hockenheim, generally I find the others pretty boring and generic (Norisring, Sachsenring, Lausitzring)
Iberia (Spain + Portugal) - usually have 1 long straight and then lots of technical parts (Barcelona, Estoril, Portimao, Jarama, Valencia)
Benelux - a bit eclectic, I can't find a consistent trend, but generally they have nice flow (Spa, Zolder, Zandvoort)
Italy - with the exception of Monza & Imola, usually very technical with lots of geometric corners that doesn't flow well (Misano, Mugello, Vallelunga)
Scandinavia - mixed again, most tracks are pretty basic but you have a few good rollercoaster ones (Ahnevisto, Anderstorp, and check out the oddball called Roskilde Ring :lol:)
Austria - very foresty, very fast, layout looks deceptively simple but actually fun to drive (Red Bull Ring, Salzburgring)
Eastern Europe - always forgotten, but actually has some nice flowing tracks (Hungaroring, BRNO)
Middle East - mostly Tilkedromes and hence completely uninspiring and generic (Bahrain, Dubai, Yas Marina, Qatar), except Istanbul obviously
Asia (minus Japan) - again, mostly Tilkedromes (Shanghai, India, Singapore), but you have the occasional awesome ones like Macau and Sepang
Japan - besides Suzuka, I find most premier circuits pretty generic (Fuji, Motegi, Autopolis, Okayama), BUT the smaller club circuits are absolute gems (Ebisu, Mine, Maze, Hokkaido Speedpark)
Australia + NZ - has the best street circuits in the world (Adelaide, Melbourne, Bathurst, Surfers, Homebush). The other circuits tend to be pretty generic, but provides good racing for V8 Supercars (Phillip Island, Pukekohe, Barbagallo, Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Symmonds Plains). Expect kangaroos to jump on the track at any time.

I think that covers most of the major countries. There are a few left out, but they only have 1-2 tracks so I can't get a consistent feel for them (Africa's Kyalami, Russia's Moscow & Sochi, and Monaco which is one of my favourites of all time).

I also love massive tracks from the past (Pescara, Targa Florio), and those that are still in use to the present (Isle of Man, Pikes Peak).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I think you can guess I'm a track fanatic :lol: So which is best? I'd say the whole world is best ;)

Last edited:
Russia, China - not many tracks that I know of. I'd say Moscow > Shanghai, Singapore > Sochi. Other than that, I don't know of any others.

I just wanted to point out that Singapore is not in China, unless I got something wrong from your post. So you may want to correct that. ;)

Last edited:
I just wanted to point out that Singapore is not in China, unless I got something wrong from your post. So you may want to correct that. ;)
I don't know why I made that comparison...like I said, it was late :lol: thanks for catching that 👍
As far as chicaned circuits go, I do think Enna is one of the better ones. I just love the old track for its simplicity. I'm generally not a fan of ovals but going around the perimeter of a lake is just unheard of. First time I saw the track I thought it's fictional :lol: And yes that particular chicane is probably the trickiest of them all. It's an absolute joy to nail it in GTR2.

You know, if you really like exploring all the different tracks in the world, you should get rFactor 👍 It's a pretty old game so you don't need a top of the line gaming PC to run it. My laptop is from 2008 with basic specs and it runs just fine (on the Lowest graphics settings though :lol:). Every single racetrack that has ever existed has probably been made for that game. My track collection is at 350 and counting :crazy: In fact I just added 3 more tracks from this thread.

I do notice each country generally has their own "flavor" of tracks:
Canada - very dynamic tracks with great views (Mont Tremblant, Mosport)
USA - huge variation of tracks. There's a desert type with bumpy surface and awkward off camber turns (Willow Springs, Sonoma) or tracks that are flat but awesome somehow (Road America, Sebring), or roller coaster rides (Watkins, VIR, Lime Rock, Road Atlanta), and of course ovals and numerous city tracks for Indy
Central & South America - hilly tracks or high altitude, with loooong straights and sweeping corners (Interlagos, Hermanos, Buenos Aires)
UK - lots of club tracks, short and narrow but a rollercoaster ride, also usually raining :P (Brands, Oulton, Knockhill, Cadwell Park). Also has lots of ex-airfield tracks (Silverstone, Goodwood)
France - flat technical tracks that are usually pretty boring (Magny Cours, Paul Ricard), bonus points for Charade & La Sarthe though
Germany - besides Nurburgring & old Hockenheim, generally I find the others pretty boring and generic (Norisring, Sachsenring, Lausitzring)
Iberia (Spain + Portugal) - usually have 1 long straight and then lots of technical parts (Barcelona, Estoril, Portimao, Jarama, Valencia)
Benelux - a bit eclectic, I can't find a consistent trend, but generally they have nice flow (Spa, Zolder, Zandvoort)
Italy - with the exception of Monza & Imola, usually very technical with lots of geometric corners that doesn't flow well (Misano, Mugello, Vallelunga)
Scandinavia - mixed again, most tracks are pretty basic but you have a few good rollercoaster ones (Ahnevisto, Anderstorp, and check out the oddball called Roskilde Ring :lol:)
Austria - very foresty, very fast, layout looks deceptively simple but actually fun to drive (Red Bull Ring, Salzburgring)
Eastern Europe - always forgotten, but actually has some nice flowing tracks (Hungaroring, BRNO)
Middle East - mostly Tilkedromes and hence completely uninspiring and generic (Bahrain, Dubai, Yas Marina, Qatar), except Istanbul obviously
Asia (minus Japan) - again, mostly Tilkedromes (Shanghai, India, Singapore), but you have the occasional awesome ones like Macau and Sepang
Japan - besides Suzuka, I find most premier circuits pretty generic (Fuji, Motegi, Autopolis, Okayama), BUT the smaller club circuits are absolute gems (Ebisu, Mine, Maze, Hokkaido Speedpark)
Australia + NZ - has the best street circuits in the world (Adelaide, Melbourne, Bathurst, Surfers, Homebush). The other circuits tend to be pretty generic, but provides good racing for V8 Supercars (Phillip Island, Pukekohe, Barbagallo, Eastern Creek, Oran Park, Symmonds Plains). Expect kangaroos to jump on the track at any time.

I think that covers most of the major countries. There are a few left out, but they only have 1-2 tracks so I can't get a consistent feel for them (Africa's Kyalami, Russia's Moscow & Sochi, and Monaco which is one of my favourites of all time).

I also love massive tracks from the past (Pescara, Targa Florio), and those that are still in use to the present (Isle of Man, Pikes Peak).

Sorry for the wall of text, but I think you can guess I'm a track fanatic :lol: So which is best? I'd say the whole world is best ;)
Nice breakdown. I may have to look at a budget PC for rFactor, because I really enjoy track hunting. So far my favorite track from any game is Ruen Les Essart from pCARS...it's such a beast.

I don't see why people say tracks like Pergusa and Monza have been "butchered" by chicanes. All motorsports fans complain when there is no overtaking, and those chicanes are actual overtaking spots. Long straights followed by long braking points are the best places to pass, without those, Pergusa would be very long straights with fast corners at the end, aka a bad oval circuit. Plus, without the chicanes, by now somebody would have been killed at Pergusa due to the ridiculous speeds cars now do and no runoff around the back turns, leading probably to the closure of the circuit as there is no space to increase the runoff. Chicanes aren't always bad guys, open your eyes...

I don't see why people say tracks like Pergusa and Monza have been "butchered" by chicanes. All motorsports fans complain when there is no overtaking, and those chicanes are actual overtaking spots. Long straights followed by long braking points are the best places to pass, without those, Pergusa would be very long straights with fast corners at the end, aka a bad oval circuit. Plus, without the chicanes, by now somebody would have been killed at Pergusa due to the ridiculous speeds cars now do and no runoff around the back turns, leading probably to the closure of the circuit as there is no space to increase the runoff. Chicanes aren't always bad guys, open your eyes...
I fully agree 👍 Also with grip levels in modern race cars so high, most high speed corners are "easy" today, and most driver/car combos take them at the exact same speed.

Chicanes, particularly if they have a curved and/or bumpy brake zone, combined with big curbs and the desire to carry as much speed as possible, can be very tricky and do more to test driver's skills.

The V8SC street courses feature some amazing chicanes. Going completely off games, at a track like Monza or even Imola, nailing the chicanes perfectly is a real challenge, and satisfying when you pull it off. I've heard some people say that for overtaking, "chicanes are easier to defend", but I think that really depends on the particular chicane. Many chicanes offer great opportunities to pass around the outside if the inside is defended. I love doing it to people at the first chicane at Monza (I think someone in F1 did this at Monza in 2015...can't remember who though), and the final chicane at Nurb GP - hang on around the outside, then BAM, steal the apex for the second part of the chicane. Seems to really catch people by surprise :lol:

New Zealand and Japan have some of my favourite tracks and are very underrated as it seems people only care for Suzuka and Pukokoe.

Australia too, there are more amazing tracks than just Bathurst and Albert Park.

I think U.S.A is overrated and underrated at the same time, as most of the tracks that people care about in America I honestly don't see the appeal and think that some of them are rubbish (Road America for example) however there are some real gems hidden behind all the smoke that I enjoy like Road Atlanta.

New Zealand and Japan have some of my favourite tracks and are very underrated as it seems people only care for Suzuka and Pukokoe.

Australia too, there are more amazing tracks than just Bathurst and Albert Park.

I think U.S.A is overrated and underrated at the same time, as most of the tracks that people care about in America I honestly don't see the appeal and think that some of them are rubbish (Road America for example) however there are some real gems hidden behind all the smoke that I enjoy like Road Atlanta.
How is Road America rubbish???

I get that everyone has personal taste, but how on earth is this rubbish?

Last edited:
How is Road America rubbish???

I get that everyone has personal taste, but how on earth is this rubbish?

It feels so off driving in it, the first half is rather dull honestly, it has no character with the 2 straights, when I drive the main straights of Bathurst, Nurburgring and Le Man I get a special sense for each of them which usually comes from the whole design like Nurburgring letting breather with high speeds after such a long journey, Bathurst giving you your last test after going down the mountain while Le Mans feels so out of place with the rest of the track that it feels fantastic and fresh. I don't feel anything through the first half of the track and it looks boring too, it has no character. While the 2nd Half is just NO! not only does it have no character but it is so off putting (for me at least)

Kinda the reason why Oran Park was my favourite race track (until the track had to be torn down for housings :(), the quick figure 8, the first 2 quick and easy corners the hill climb up and down gave it character and something enjoyable to venture through.

It feels so off driving in it, the first half is rather dull honestly, it has no character with the 2 straights, when I drive the main straights of Bathurst, Nurburgring and Le Man I get a special sense for each of them which usually comes from the whole design like Nurburgring letting breather with high speeds after such a long journey, Bathurst giving you your last test after going down the mountain while Le Mans feels so out of place with the rest of the track that it feels fantastic and fresh. I don't feel anything through the first half of the track and it looks boring too, it has no character. While the 2nd Half is just NO! not only does it have no character but it is so off putting (for me at least)

Kinda the reason why Oran Park was my favourite race track (until the track had to be torn down for housings :(), the quick figure 8, the first 2 quick and easy corners the hill climb up and down gave it character and something enjoyable to venture through.
So you compare it to what are perhaps the three greatest tracks left in the world. Since its not god level, it must be rubbish :lol:

We're going to have to agree to disagree...that was perhaps the worst breakdown of a racetrack I've ever read 👎

So you compare it to what are perhaps the three greatest tracks left in the world. Since its not god level, it must be rubbish :lol:

We're going to have to agree to disagree...that was perhaps the worst breakdown of a racetrack I've ever read 👎
Even smaller less known race tracks have fantastic feels and characters IMO, SUGO, that Indonesian Track meant for the Asian Le Mans Series, and remember I mentioned that NZ has my favourite batch of race tracks.

I'm ambivalent towards Road America. Some sections have nice flow, but it's pretty much flat and the scenery looks the same everywhere. I'm normally pretty good at memorising tracks but even after driving so many laps in NFS Shift I still can't remember which way the next corner goes sometimes.

I'm more of a hotlapper than a racer, so the purpose of chicanes for overtaking doesn't enter my consideration at all. In general they ruin the flow and are awkward to drive through. Also, it's pretty difficult to overtake in a chicane because you always end up off the racing line for the second part. They only increase overtaking because they are (usually) a heavy braking zone. I'd rather see a normal corner added than a chicane.

There are some tracks that does chicanes right (Imola, Enna, Monza's 2nd chicane and Ascari), but for many tracks they are better off without it (Barcelona, Yas Marina, Estoril, Fuji). Also there's a tendency to make chicanes slower and tighter nowadays (compare Spa's old and new Bus Stop, Monaco's old and new harbour chicane).

I understand it's for safety, but in terms of pure driving enjoyment I'd rather not have them.

I'm ambivalent towards Road America. Some sections have nice flow, but it's pretty much flat and the scenery looks the same everywhere. I'm normally pretty good at memorising tracks but even after driving so many laps in NFS Shift I still can't remember which way the next corner goes sometimes.

I'm more of a hotlapper than a racer, so the purpose of chicanes for overtaking doesn't enter my consideration at all. In general they ruin the flow and are awkward to drive through. Also, it's pretty difficult to overtake in a chicane because you always end up off the racing line for the second part. They only increase overtaking because they are (usually) a heavy braking zone. I'd rather see a normal corner added than a chicane.

There are some tracks that does chicanes right (Imola, Enna, Monza's 2nd chicane and Ascari), but for many tracks they are better off without it (Barcelona, Yas Marina, Estoril, Fuji). Also there's a tendency to make chicanes slower and tighter nowadays (compare Spa's old and new Bus Stop, Monaco's old and new harbour chicane).

I understand it's for safety, but in terms of pure driving enjoyment I'd rather not have them.
If hotlaping is your thing, I could see how Road America would not be top of your list. For racing though.....oh baby, she's a good one. Other than the front straight, the straights aren't straight, so getting along side someone can be tricky, and it makes defending on the straight possible. Then the massive breaking zones are awesome for completing the overtake. It's a narrow track, but turns 1, 2, I think what they call 5 (after the 2nd big straight), and Canada Corner are all wide enough to go 2 wide, so you can both defend or Attack around the outside.

As far as the chicanes, you can attack around the outside as well, if the inside is defended. This sets you up for the inside of the 2nd half. Again if you're just hotlaping, I can see how it breaks up the flow, but I still like them when they're done right.

If hotlaping is your thing, I could see how Road America would not be top of your list. For racing though.....oh baby, she's a good one. Other than the front straight, the straights aren't straight, so getting along side someone can be tricky, and it makes defending on the straight possible. Then the massive breaking zones are awesome for completing the overtake. It's a narrow track, but turns 1, 2, I think what they call 5 (after the 2nd big straight), and Canada Corner are all wide enough to go 2 wide, so you can both defend or Attack around the outside.

As far as the chicanes, you can attack around the outside as well, if the inside is defended. This sets you up for the inside of the 2nd half. Again if you're just hotlaping, I can see how it breaks up the flow, but I still like them when they're done right.

Yeah my ratio of driving solo to being in a race is probably 90:10 :lol: So I can see why my taste of tracks can be quite odd compared to most people :P Each to their own I suppose.

My ratio is about 70 racing and 30 solo, I still find it cringe worthy whenever I have to race on it in Forza 6 and TOCA 2 but I already gave my reason why, I'd just be repeating myself :lol:.

While my opinions are limited to watching races and a variety of racing games...having only been to a handful in person, it's hard to argue that as a single country, the United States doesn't offer some of the most fantastic tracks.

The United States (thankfully) has a shortage of wide/flat/ultrabland Formula 1 intended tracks (COTA is....a stain). Most of our tracks will never host an F1 event, but they shine in GT racing, and touring cars.

Some of our tracks aren't necessarily "great" but are unique. Sebring for example, not particularly fun but provides a unique challenge. Daytona's track layout for the 24 is unique (not many other countries have ovals w/ infields that I know of). We have a shortage of decent road circuits (Long Beach is too tight, Belle Isle is pretty good - and we've had some great ones in the past like Columbus, Austin etc.).

Our creme of the crop are older in-the-woods roller coasters. Road Atlanta, Virginia International Raceway, Mid-Ohio, Barber Motorsports Park etc. If we could steal Mosport we'd be set! Road America makes absolutely awesome racing...one of the best in the country. Watkins Glen is nothing short of fantastic. Laguna Seca/Sonoma Raceway I'm ambivalent about - but a lot of people seem to like them. Lime Rock is tiny but promotes amusing racing.

Miller Motorsports Park was neat but has been closed recently.

On the whole, the U.S. has a heck of resume for great circuits. If we could establish a handful of really good street circuits I think we'd be in good shape.

Miller was actually saved by a Chinese investor and renamed "Utah Motorsports Campus". Granted the sale has been challenged by some other group so the tea is future is still in the air.

While my opinions are limited to watching races and a variety of racing games...having only been to a handful in person, it's hard to argue that as a single country, the United States doesn't offer some of the most fantastic tracks.

The United States (thankfully) has a shortage of wide/flat/ultrabland Formula 1 intended tracks (COTA is....a stain). Most of our tracks will never host an F1 event, but they shine in GT racing, and touring cars.

Some of our tracks aren't necessarily "great" but are unique. Sebring for example, not particularly fun but provides a unique challenge. Daytona's track layout for the 24 is unique (not many other countries have ovals w/ infields that I know of). We have a shortage of decent road circuits (Long Beach is too tight, Belle Isle is pretty good - and we've had some great ones in the past like Columbus, Austin etc.).

Our creme of the crop are older in-the-woods roller coasters. Road Atlanta, Virginia International Raceway, Mid-Ohio, Barber Motorsports Park etc. If we could steal Mosport we'd be set! Road America makes absolutely awesome racing...one of the best in the country. Watkins Glen is nothing short of fantastic. Laguna Seca/Sonoma Raceway I'm ambivalent about - but a lot of people seem to like them. Lime Rock is tiny but promotes amusing racing.

On the whole, the U.S. has a heck of resume for great circuits. If we could establish a handful of really good street circuits I think we'd be in good shape.
Just for discussion sake, could you expand more on "Long Beach is too tight"? Too tight compared to what? Most other street circuits I can think of are a lot more narrow. Monaco, Macau, Pau, Villa Real, Surfer's, Sydney Olympic Park: I would consider all these to be narrower than Long Beach. Toronto, St Pete, and Adelaide are the only street circuits which I think one could consider "wider" than Long Beach...and I'd say they're only wider in sections.

I rarely see a race at Long Beach which I feel is a good race...it's not nearly as bad as Monaco (a useless nostalgic party event) or some others...but in my opinion it's not a good track. Sadly it's on the docket for PCars2...so we'll see how it is in a video game. :D

I rarely see a race at Long Beach which I feel is a good race...it's not nearly as bad as Monaco (a useless nostalgic party event) or some others...but in my opinion it's not a good track. Sadly it's on the docket for PCars2...so we'll see how it is in a video game. :D
Long Beach is in Forza 6, I don't really care for that track all that much. There is one variation of it where it's just a small ring, that includes the fountain chicane. That variation is kind of fun, it's so small you're almost always in traffic with a 24 car field though. Overall though, I'm not fan of it.

As far as who has the best tracks, to me it's USA. You can say it's a quantity thing, that they have so many. There's a lot of really great ones, as people have mentioned above. Germany has some great tracks, but there's just not enough to compare them to USA.

This is only my opinion, but Japan has the most overrated tracks. Maybe it's because I've driven them to death in the different racing games I've played, I really don't even miss them not being in Forza 6. Suzuka would be the exception. That track is outstanding, and is one of my favorite ones.

Last edited:
Back