Who has the best race tracks?

• Thread starter twitcher
  • 46 comments
I can't say much about Sweden, but having driven around most of Finland's race tracks at least once, Ahvenisto really stands out. The elevation change is massive for such a short track which makes some of the corners absolutely magnificent, and the walls are almost always near so it has that as well. The track is 'not-just-a-bit' outdated in many ways though, the layout hasn't really changed since it was opened in the late 60s, and most of the off track infrastructure is still as it was in the 80s. Not that any of that makes it less of a magnificent track to drive around.

How do you even pass on that track. You would have to have some big kahunas.

Awesome track though.

I'm a bit shocked to see people rate Japan/Germany so highly. To me their tracks are terribly sterile boring affairs. I'm not including the Nurburgring as I don't really compare that to other race-tracks as it's a special kind of place.

Shame on me indeed. I love Albert Park but completely forgot about it.
I must have driven round there for a few thousand laps in the PS1-PS3 F1 games.
One of the worst tracks in Australia, works okay for F1 but everything else is a complete Bore.

I'm a bit shocked to see people rate Japan/Germany so highly. To me their tracks are terribly sterile boring affairs. I'm not including the Nurburgring as I don't really compare that to other race-tracks as it's a special kind of place.
Yeah but like it or not, it is a race track. It's probably the most well known(outside of NASCAR I mean, I have a lot of friends that are die hard NASCAR and they have no idea Nurburgring exists :lol:), impressive race track in the world, its just that damn cool. So you have to include that in Germany.

That would be like saying you couldn't count Le Mans in a discussion about French race tracks. 👍

In South Korea, motorsports has grown a bit in recent years. Although the most well-known track in the country, Korea International Circuit, is as lifeless as they come.

A complete opposite of that track is Inje Speedium, which was built in 2013.

The more I think about it, I might drop Germany down the list....other than the Nordschlief, their tracks aren't that great.

Japan though, I still love. Fuji and Motegi are maybe a littl overrated, but I love the dynamic between the long straight and tight final sector at Fuji - makes for some great racing. To me, Suzuka is a god level track. The combo of the flow, consequences for making a mistake, while still being wide enough (barely) to race wheel to wheel makes it very appealing to me - it can be a bit processional for F1, but it's awesome for other disciplines. It's one of those tracks that I could (and do :P) lap all day long, and no matter how perfect of a lap I do, there's always room to squeeze a little more out. Plus all the top class driver's who rave about it can't all be wrong ;). The other tracks from Japan that I love are Sugo and Autopolis. Also, Japan has so many little club tracks that you don't see too many other places around the world.

Germany don't even have a lot to start with. As far as I know the only major tracks operating today are:

Hockenheimring
Nurburgring
Lausitzring
Oschersleben
Sachsenring
Norisring

Hockenheim and Nurburgring are both butchered shells of their former selves, NRing is ok but nothing particularly interesting. Hockenheim is just flat and boring now, with the Tilke hairpin. Lausitz is your typical speedway road course, pretty bland. Oschersleben I do like although they butchered the first turn. Sachsenring is a bike circuit really, not great for cars. Norisring is pretty good, short street circuit that I also like for the challenge, especially the Schoeller S.

Still yeah overall, not much to shout about if you exclude the unique Nordschliefe.

Autopolis, Suzuka, Motegi, Sugo, Okayama, Fuji etc. Japanese tracks are among the best in the world. I think them, North American like Road America, Road Atlanta, Lime Rock, VIR, Sebring, Laguna, Mosport etc. and Australia are my favorites.

Yeah but like it or not, it is a race track. It's probably the most well known(outside of NASCAR I mean, I have a lot of friends that are die hard NASCAR and they have no idea Nurburgring exists :lol:), impressive race track in the world, its just that damn cool. So you have to include that in Germany.

That would be like saying you couldn't count Le Mans in a discussion about French race tracks. 👍

My point is more that almost no race series goes to the Nordschleife. If you're starting up a racing series, it's likely the Nurburgring (and yes, LeMans, and arguably stuff like the Daytona 24 hour format) wouldn't really be a consideration for a venue you'd be racing on. That's all.

Sachsenring is a bike circuit really
, not great for cars. Norisring is pretty good, short street circuit that I also like for the challenge, especially the Schoeller S.

Still yeah overall, not much to shout about if you exclude the unique Nordschliefe.
I've seen this said before, not just about Sachsenring, but a few different circuits. What does it mean, "it's a bike circuit"? I get that most tracks which host motorcycle events have certain safety measures, like flat curbs, but how is the ribbon of Tarmac bike specific?

I've never lapped Sachsenring, but it seems like it would be a very fun track to hotlap in a production car, or production based racecar.

Maybe a little bit tight for lots of good wheel to wheel, but not every track can have the best of both worlds :P

These ADAC GT3 cars don't seem out of place.
http://burningwhee1s.blogspot.ca/2015/08/adac-gt-masters-2015-round-6-sachsenring.html?m=1

It's just the design of the corners and how they flow. Of course you can drive or ride anything around any track and it'll work, just some are more suited to bikes than cars.

Back