Who loves Brussels Sprouts?

• Thread starter Saidur_Ali
  • 162 comments

Who loves Brussels Sprouts?

• Total voters
United Kingdom
United Kingdom
I was going to post this question last month but procrastinated. I don't see a poll for this important question yet on GTP so thought I'd go ahead and make one.

So who loves Brussels Sprouts? Feel free to discuss what you love or hate about them too.

I can eat them but I detest them, however well they are disguised. Thankfully they are only a 'thing' once a year.

Sounds like this one belongs in The Rumble Strip section but "oh, kalettes" weigh in with my own opinion.

I'm also a rocket man but why eat baby cabbage hearts that you'd throw away if they were full grown vegetables?! :ill:

[EDIT: profanity removed. Sorry mods]

Brussels.jpg

Last edited:
I like them, but they need to be well peeled and with a sprinkling of old Edammer cheese.

My answer:

No, get the sprout out back to Brussels

I tolerate Sprouts. As a matter of fact, I'm going to prepare Sprouts tomorrow. Add a delicious white sauce and the Sprouts taste better.

• Steam cook the Sprouts first.
  • Cut them in half and put the Sprouts in a pan with butter and 1 onion (cut in very small pieces)
  • add a delicious white sauce to it and don't forget potatoes.

TB
Even slow roasted with bacon, absolutely disgusting. :crazy:

Of course! You cooked them too long :)

Cut into the cruciform, one minute in boiling water, into cold water, into hot pan with lardons/bacon and throw around for a minute, add a bit of butter and fresh black pepper for the final 10s. Gorgeous! NOTE: Don't eat them if they've been picked for more than a few days, they go very bitter.

EDIT: I can neither confirm nor deny that our last lot of christmas sprouts were picked from a nearby field in the dead of night :D

I absolutely love brussel sprouts! They are are hands down my all time favourite vegetable. So delicious; love 'em.

:drool:

I'm convinced the name swung some votes for Brexit, they're that disgusting.

@UKMikey "Concentrated Gagoflavin"

:lol:

I enjoy them, but as has been indicated, their quality is heavily influenced by preparation.

I'll just put this here:

With it being holiday season, I thought I'd share a roasted cruciferous vegetable side I've been making for a few years now. It's always a hit and it started as an accident, having evolved over the years.
1 head cauliflower
1 pound fresh brussels sprouts
8 ounces uncooked guanciale*, diced
1 medium shallot, minced
1 tablespoon "Grade B" maple syrup**
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
cayenne pepper
lemon juice
ground cumin
salt

*Guanciale is pork jowl cured with fennel seed and other spices and has more depth of flavor than pancetta, but pancetta can be used in its place. Bacon is not recommended as the smokiness can overpower other flavors.

**Grade B maple syrup is thicker and more robust in flavor than Grade A. It's also less expensive, but the flavor and ability to coat are what's important here.

Start with the head of cauliflower, breaking it down into bite-sized florets and cutting the core into slightly smaller pieces so that they cook at a similar rate. For the brussels sprouts, cut the rough stem end and shell outer leaves before halving. Rinse and allow to dry thoroughly.

In a skillet, preferably not non-stick to develop a flavorful fond, cook guanciale/pancetta over medium-low heat until browned and crispy, then remove solids and fat from pan, reserving both separately.

Reduce heat to low and add the minced shallot to any fat that didn't drip from the pan, cooking until softened and translucent, approximately five minutes, and working any remaining brown bits of pork loose from the pan. Remove and reserve shallots and brown bits.

Preheat oven to 450°F and line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. In a large bowl, toss cauliflower and sprouts in just enough of the reserved pork fat to ensure everything is coated. Any fat that remains is liquid gold (especially if guanciale was used) and can be used in other dishes.

Place coated vegetables onto the baking sheet in a single layer, uncrowded (this is important; do this in batches if your baking sheet isn't big enough) with cut side of sprouts facing up and roast for 20 minutes.

Scrape the inside of the bowl to collect any remaining fat (anything that filmed the bowl during tossing; there's no need to add more of the reserved fat) and add shallots, maple syrup, coriander, cayenne pepper (just a pinch to add a subtle background kick rather than make the dish spicy) and just a splash of lemon juice to thin the syrup slightly and add some brightness, and then wisk to combine.

Return roasted vegetables to bowl and toss with browned guanciale/pancetta so that everything gets treated to the maple-shallot dressing. Transfer to serving platter.

In a dry skillet, toast sliced almonds over medium heat until golden brown and add enough salt and cumin to coat while still hot so that the seasoning sticks, and sprinkle them over the roasted, dressed vegetables and porky goodness.

I hope I addressed everything, since I've never actually written the cooking instructions down.
I also run them through a food processor raw using the slicing blade and make a wonderful substitute for cabbage in a slaw.

Edit: Not sure why the quote got split, but it was supposed to be a one-er.

I really enjoy them! Especially fried and then back in a pan with some honey and bacon similair to the recipe above! Also good in a cheese sauce. I never understood why people dislike brussel sprouts.

Current results:
No - 60%
Yes, if you cook them with lots of other things that have different flavours in order to disguise the fact that they're rank devil's cabbagey testes - 40%

So currently "No" is winning by 100:0.

I like them a bit boiled and served with olive oil or gravy. No shame in liking unpopular vegetables :lol:.

Love em'. But then again, I eat everything so it's not like it's unusual for me to like any particular food. I've eaten them every way imaginable. Steamed, fried, baked, in a dish etc.

Last edited:
Current results:
No - 60%
Yes, if you cook them with lots of other things that have different flavours in order to disguise the fact that they're rank devil's cabbagey testes - 40%

:lol: Lots of things arent really tasty without actually cooking them in a dish.

My palate's changed enough over the last few years that I can stand the flavour (the same goes for swede). I wouldn't complain if some crept into a Sunday Roast.

Roasted parsnips and cauliflower are a far more wretched duo.

I do like them, but don't have them very often.

I've prepared them many different ways. Baked, fried, grilled, and smoked.

What are our thoughts on fennel?

I know I can't stand the fronds and the only way I can tolerate the bulb is if it's treated like caramelized onions, at which point the strong anusy anisey flavor dissipates and the deep, round sweetness dominates, but I may as well caramelize onion.

Fennel seed is fine and an absolute must for many sausages and cured meats.

When in doubt, do as the French do: just cook 'em in a boatload of butter.

Pan frying with some chili flakes, a liberal dash of salt, and then topping on the plate with a shredded sharp cheddar is my go-to, but I'll gladly eat them without cheese now. They need to get a little blackened too. I went from hating them to them being one of my favourite veggies, right behind asparagus.

Current results:
No - 60%

"Even plain steamed sprouts are great" surely qualifies for a yes vote?

I've never eaten a brussel sprout. Sounds like I'm either missing a little, or am better off eating my own fingernails.

Current results:
No - 60%

This is my take on lobster actually (not that it tastes bad, but that people really just like a medium for salted butter).

But if you apply this reasoning to all food, not much survives. Steak (and other land-based meats) would survive, fruit, cheese. Butter doesn't even survive, because butter, while making everything else taste great, doesn't taste all that great by itself. Maybe potatoes are in. Fresh bread makes the cut (but not a store-bought sandwich loaf). There's not a lot of food that tastes great with just heat and no other ingredients.

Sprouts taste good fried with oil, salt, and pepper. That's not a ton needed to make them pop. Potatoes taste better that way too... and steak... Actually I just described a pretty great meal.

This is my take on lobster actually (not that it tastes bad, but that people really just like a medium for salted butter).
Lobster in the hand shoved towards the face, a few seconds after being grabbed from the sea begs to differ with the idea of ever cooking anything ever.

But if you apply this reasoning to all food, not much survives. Steak (and other land-based meats) would survive, fruit, cheese. Butter doesn't even survive, because butter, while making everything else taste great, doesn't taste all that great by itself. Maybe potatoes are in. Fresh bread makes the cut (but not a store-bought sandwich loaf). There's not a lot of food that tastes great with just heat and no other ingredients.

Sprouts taste good fried with oil, salt, and pepper. That's not a ton needed to make them pop. Potatoes taste better that way too... and steak... Actually I just described a pretty great meal.

To be fair, that's how I view most food, as a delivery service for other foods or condiments. :P

You raise an excellent point: few foods really stand completely on their own. I'd never eat a raw brussels sprout, but I would eat a raw carrot. I eat a lot of spring mix with radicchio and spinach, but without at least a bit of balsamic dressing I wouldn't bother. I'd add oysters, and sashimi opens up the option for other meats and even some fish without even cooking it.

I think the texture is key in a lot of cases. Popcorn on its own is airy cardboard: but with a generous sampling of butter and a sprinkle of salt, it's fantastic. Potatoes are pretty bland really — and a rotten one might just be the worst-smelling thing in the world — but fry 'em and I'll use them as little malt vinegar sponges. A plain cooked chicken wing is fine I suppose, but a good hot sauce gives it the full experience.

We just finished watching Salt Fat Acid Heat on Netflix and it was a fascinating reminder of how even just cooking something completely changes the food.

Back