Why am I having so much fun playing TOCA?

• Thread starter larrymags
  • 18 comments
I've been playing TOCA Race Driver 2 for the last week and I have to admit I am having loads of fun at it!

Didn't really expect it to be as good as it is especially since I've been playing GT4 since it came out.

Does anyone think that Toca is as realistic as GT4 as far as physics? I have my own opinion but would like to hear others.

My one gripe is that the damage models is not as realistic as I though it would be (I've won races with all of my warning lights flashing from accidents).

I have the game also & play online. Though I didn't play it for more than 3 weeks...

There's a neat dirty trick I used before online... Use the clutch for the convertible tour & take the AC cobra or the XKR. By using the clutch, it remove the downtime each time you shift up, so it make you way more faster than everybody starting a the 2nd gear :sly: .(Though I find it too easy to beat the people, so I used the DB7)

i think it is one of the best racing games ever, it is a different kind of racing game to GT4 though, i think the damage model is great as well and there is no way the physics are as good as GT4, well, i wouldnt say not as good, id say they are different style to GT4, more arcadey and not only that but i found the storyline enthralling, better than most TV, speciallly when you complete the career and watch them all back to back:P

Toca is a great compromise, sacrificing graphics and physics to have damage and online play.

The physics of course dont come close to the realism of gt4. However, polyphony did a bang up job of making the physics pretty dang unrealistic in areas like power oversteer and unrealistic grip, so toca 2 actually has these more fundamental areas down slightly better than gt4 imo, however overall, gt4 physics are worlds above toca 2. Im discussing driving physics by the way not damage physics or collision physics or anything else.

I finally got to play it but on PC ( portability baby! :mischievous: ) and I've always loved TOCA games. I played the demo when it first came out and thought it was solid! :D

How is the online portion of the game on Playstation 2? Are there still people playing online or is it hard to find enough people online to have a race?

Although I am late to the party my interest in this game is increasing. I had Pro Race Driver and found the game lacking in almost every way. I passed on TOCA 2 when it came out due to my experience with Pro Race Driver. Recently I am starting to get back into driving games with my DFP playing Gran Turismo 4 and Enthusia. I am afraid that I may have overlooked TOCA 2 which sounds like a great game!

Hokie
How is the online portion of the game on Playstation 2? Are there still people playing online or is it hard to find enough people online to have a race?

Although I am late to the party my interest in this game is increasing. I had Pro Race Driver and found the game lacking in almost every way. I passed on TOCA 2 when it came out due to my experience with Pro Race Driver. Recently I am starting to get back into driving games with my DFP playing Gran Turismo 4 and Enthusia. I am afraid that I may have overlooked TOCA 2 which sounds like a great game!

Lol I agree, but TOCA 2 is the only"What we call this.." online sim racing. But I find that most player can only play sim(incredible arcade & unreal with the DFP) & not pro-sim. Some abuse of their advantage by having a better setting than other, cause they can be faster than anyone. Unfair race is too common in TOCA 2 so I stop playing that game.

The option to have all stock settings exists so if your worried about something like that because you dont understand tuning, just join a game with stock settings.
The pro sim setting in toca is very unrealistic in many areas, and while the regular sim mode may offer slightly faster braking and slightly more grip than is found in real life, its nowhere near 'incredibly arcade like'. Mastery of very difficult racing techniques, racing knowledge and quick reactions are all essential to being as fast as possible in this game. In fact throttle modulation in this game has to be even more precise than in many full blown sim games.
Also, to the guy that asked if its difficult to find people playing: not at all, theres allmost allways at least 6 or so rooms up, each with up to 8 people in them. The cool thing is, you play people all over the world and can communicate with the headset. Lag is minimal 90% of the time.
Id agree that the feel with the dfp is not exactly crisp, that would be my main complaint about the game. The friends list, lobby system, and game finding menu is second only to socom 2. The game is 30 bucks new too. Allthough id just buy it used for 10 bucks.

OK, I picked up this game used and I am having a blast! The career mode is longer than I thought it would be and the story is not all that bad. I am enjoying setting up long races in the Formula Fords or Global GT Lights. I like how you can customize the AI to your skill level and I have already raced a bunch of really close races where I am in the middle of the pack the entire time fighting for position. The Formula Fords open wheel races are particulary exciting when you have to watch out not to get your wheels locked up with the car next to you.

I am a little disappointed in the rally racing. I was expecting the game to turn into Colin McRae Rally 3 when racing the rally stages in career mode. Instead the cars are difficult to power-slide and I find myself braking heavily and running in low gears instead of just whipping the back end around during a turn. Oh well.

I have yet to give online racing a shot, I think that I need more practice first. What are the most popular online racing classes?

KurtG
The option to have all stock settings exists so if your worried about something like that because you dont understand tuning, just join a game with stock settings.
The pro sim setting in toca is very unrealistic in many areas, and while the regular sim mode may offer slightly faster braking and slightly more grip than is found in real life, its nowhere near 'incredibly arcade like'. Mastery of very difficult racing techniques, racing knowledge and quick reactions are all essential to being as fast as possible in this game. In fact throttle modulation in this game has to be even more precise than in many full blown sim games.
Also, to the guy that asked if its difficult to find people playing: not at all, theres allmost allways at least 6 or so rooms up, each with up to 8 people in them. The cool thing is, you play people all over the world and can communicate with the headset. Lag is minimal 90% of the time.
Id agree that the feel with the dfp is not exactly crisp, that would be my main complaint about the game. The friends list, lobby system, and game finding menu is second only to socom 2. The game is 30 bucks new too. Allthough id just buy it used for 10 bucks.

I have a rating over than 1100 on MrDeap[GTP]. I said with the DFP the game feel extremely unrealistic. Dang, you can take all the corner with your foot on the floor(Note that it's not faster, the car understeer). Try to get people using the wheel getting the grass? So player who use the wheel can easily push anyone who use the controller off-track without much problem.

Also for fan of DTM, It's impossible to perform against a wheel when you use the controller, cause the DTM car understeer heavily with the controller & the wheel the car feel just balanced. Weird huh?

There's also the clutch that is also extremely unfair cause you can perform trick like eliminate the lag between gear change time & also can make exagerate engine braking. So you accelerate faster than anyone & slower faster than anyone... Interesting huh?

& finally... I really doubt a customized setting can make you win 5 sec over the normal setting per lap in such smalls tracks.

I wasnt quite sure what you were getting at in your first paragraph Mr Deap. Your english wasnt very clear, no offense meant. If you were saying that with the controller you get way too much wheelspin: are you using a dual shock 1? You will have analog control of the throttle if you are using a dual shock 2 and so that should cure the problem unless your just not applying throttle correctly, or you could map the throttle and brake to the right stick which is what i used to do.

Id have to disagree that the wheel is that dominant over controllers. I used the ds2 for a long time with it online before i got a wheel and i would own people with wheels with it.

In fact the default set up of the dfp is more of a disadvantage than advantage compared to a controller as its way too twictchy, but this is easily fixed by turning on the multi turn option in the game and greatly increasing the steering saturation so you have about 270* of steering motion lock to lock.

KurtG
I wasnt quite sure what you were getting at in your first paragraph Mr Deap. Your english wasnt very clear, no offense meant. If you were saying that with the controller you get way too much wheelspin: are you using a dual shock 1? You will have analog control of the throttle if you are using a dual shock 2 and so that should cure the problem unless your just not applying throttle correctly, or you could map the throttle and brake to the right stick which is what i used to do.

Id have to disagree that the wheel is that dominant over controllers. I used the ds2 for a long time with it online before i got a wheel and i would own people with wheels with it.

In fact the default set up of the dfp is more of a disadvantage than advantage compared to a controller as its way too twictchy, but this is easily fixed by turning on the multi turn option in the game and greatly increasing the steering saturation so you have about 270* of steering motion lock to lock.

Darn who the hell are you in the game? You're the first one to tell me that using the wheel is in a disavantage. I use both wheel & DS2.(Started with the DS2 & after the Wheel).

About the first paragraph... I'm explaining that you have to force yourself to get offtrack cause the car slow down by itself when you turn too much with the wheel & you only have to focus on your line differently to the controller that you got to know how fast you can take the corner or you'll smack heavily the wall or end up offtrack! Yeah, some of the series are easier by using the DS2, but you can go as fast with the wheel. In all the races series you can go much faster or equal the DS2 with the wheel because of engine made for the wheel.

Also I can tell you're really biased by the engine of Toca 2, cause it doesn't even compare to GT4 or Enthusia. that game is very Arcade in Sim mode. If never you want to race me online, just PM, take MSN or AIM or whatever.. I bet I can easily beat you unless you're one of the best player online.

lol... uhh.. Take it easy man. I was just stating some opinions. Anyhow.... like i suggested the wheel IS an advantage once you take the steps i mentioned. 9 out of the 10 people ive talked to put the wheel up and used a controller UNTIL they figured out from someone how to configure it correctly so its not so twitchy from the default setup. I was just stating its not such a massively dominant factor that I felt you made it out to be. Again: I felt it was a disadvantage when you leave the settings at default.

You didnt correctly interpret my paragraph about the physics "engine" of toca. I said gt4 and enthusia (<my fav. racing game of all time due to its realism) physics are "worlds above" toca 2. I also said the physics of toca 2 dont come close to the realism of gt4.... I simply said I thought the wheel-spin/ tail slide physics code was slightly better done in toca 2, being as its so difficult to get the back end to whip around realistically in gt4, but that is just one of thousands of different physics parameters... Ease off the confrontiveness and read what ive written a little more thoroughly so i dont have to waste my time clarifying so much next time please. My name is KurtG85 on Toca2 btw. What country are you from and what time do you usually play?

I was just wondering if it was reallly true that this game didn't have the btcc touring cars in it ??? If not then that sucks as toca has always had them and they are one of the best fun racing series

Why are you having so much fun?? BECAUSE TOCA F'ING ROCKS! Seriously though in Pro-Sim handling mode you are so on the edge and pushing so hard to keep up with the very intelegent and fair A.I. and still have a clean race at the same time. The physics are WAY too floaty in my opinion, especially at low speed, but they are soo much fun because of the high speed drifting characteristics that most cars produce. Again, not very realistic, but more fun than a late night drift session in the rain on my Touge run (Signal Mountain Boulevard) in my 300zx.

It sure does rock! I just played a demo of it yesterday and i was blown away. I ordered it tonight off play.com for just £9.99! (that's about 18 dollars)

Back