Why are the Big Three Big Losers?

Although I'm sure there are many factors, the main ones I want to concentrate on are the products themselves and currency exchange rates.

A weak yen benefits companies like Nissan and Toyota by allowing them to sell their products in the US for less making it more difficult for the Big Three to compete. Additionally, when converting profits in US dollars back to an ever-weakening yen, it increases their bottom line.

However, one could argue that the reason why the Big Three are losing market share is because their products are not competitive.

Thoughts? Possible solutions? Questions? Comments?

I'll start... :dopey: What exactly does the Big Three hope to accomplish by bringing issues like exchange rates and their impact on profitability to the President? Are they hoping for some kind of Plaza Accord remix?

I think GM's problem had to do with insurance and benefits for its workers along with having at least three brands per car.

I think it’s a combination of all three of those factors: less competitive products (though they’re on an upswing), money conversions, and the gotcha-by-the-balls agreements they have/had with their labor unions.

I'll start... :dopey: What exactly does the Big Three hope to accomplish by bringing issues like exchange rates and their impact on profitability to the President? Are they hoping for some kind of Plaza Accord remix?

I think the major issues have already been stated, but as far as the USDM complaining about exchange rates: it's a valid complaint, but still a cop-out. If they hadn't gotten their heads so inflated in the short years after WWII, they wouldn't have been caught with their pants down in the early 70's. If they hadn't let their profitability get the better of them, they wouldn't have made the ridiculous deals they did with the unions. If they weren't thinking like the stereotypical geriatric-white-man throughout the 80's and 90's and tried new ideas like the rest of the world did, they could have had this upswing 20 years ago.

"if" - small word, big impact.

the currency issue is a moot point because its currently cheaper to produce here than in other major markets. the yen and euro and british pound are stronger than the dollar. this is why the BMW 1 series is not sold here. it wouldn't be profitable. same with the A class and smart.
they were engineered for world markets but arent sold here because the cost to build wouldnt sustain the cost to sell here while still making a profit. unless you want to buy a 1 series for $30 large plus.

as for the question; arrogance is what it comes down to. they scoffed the japanese, who went about continually improving thier product, observing what worked and what didnt. and instead of improving thier products they dressed em up in new bumpers, fancy trim and sold that as the new model.

the public may be dumb but rarely get fooled over and over again when theres a viable alternative.

Please allow me to rant for a moment:

Living in Michigan, home to the Big Three, and easily the most influenced state by what does or does not happen with the auto industry gives me a bit of a different perspective on why or how things should happen. Sure, I've had more than enough family and friends work for all of them, we for the most part only drive American cars (outside of Mom, Grandma, and myself), and plan on driving only American cars (VW is still okay in my book).

If you want a simple answer, you aren't going to get it here. I could easily give you a quick rundown of things that have lead up to where we are:

- Poor fuel economy of the 1970s
- Lower levels of build quality
- Poor workforce leads to even lower quality
- Reluctance of companies to improve their products
- Overly optimistic sales figures, poor sales overall
- Poor product planning
- Press bias against The Big Three

One of the biggest issues that have come up recently, at least here in Michigan is the question of our state losing out to others for automotive contracts. One of note was Honda's decision to build a new plant in Indiana, despite the fact they were going through talks with our Governor at the time to bring jobs here.

There have been theories that she was too late (probably true) or that Honda was upset over Granholm's dealings with Toyota (probably also true), but the simple fact is that we weren't giving Honda what they want... Tax breaks and an economic plan suitable to their low-cost underpinnings. Fact is, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, and even Hyundai or BMW could pretty much waltz around the "rust belt" states and say they are planning to open a new factory. Whatever state can give them the lowest bid goes the spoils, or so it seems.

Lower taxes mean lower costs for the automakers, and even if that may mean a less-qualified workforce or even a greater risk for disasters, they will go for it. And why not, its all about the bottom line, right? Oh yeah, thats what American automakers have been accused of for decades...

So beyond taxes, why else do the Japanese run south when it comes to building cars? One big deal is that they are as far away from the UAW as possible, as they are arguably one of the greatest achievements of Detroit, and have also been its downfall. Defending poor quality workers who don't get the job done, demanding unrealistic wages and benefits, and otherwise doing immoral things (not accepting on-duty Military vehicles on UAW-owned property if they are foreign, big hubbub about it last year in Detroit).

...But of course, it is all The Big Three's fault. Sure, they deserve their own fair share of the blame. For some reason it has taken all of them this long to realize that it isn't 1950 anymore, and that policies need to change. Wow! Now they listen to the public, plan ahead, and actually have goals in mind no matter what the cost. Hmmm... Sounds like they are thinking like a modern automotive brand!

---

How are we going to fix it? Well the answer is that progress is already underway at GM and Ford. With the Fusion beating-out the Accord and Camry for top-quality marks this year is a HUGE win for American automobiles, and if the rumors and leaked photos mean anything about the new E2-based Malibu, GM is due for its own good fortunes as well.

Added to that, American automakers have seen the light and have realized that it is more practical to align worldwide brands and build the same cars across the planet instead of a few select ones in different places. It lowers production costs, increases efficiency, and therefore should also increase quality and production standards.

However with Chrysler on its last leg, the good days could be over if the next-gen LY models and other new models don't fly. They are still making the mistakes that they should have fixed years and years ago, and basically it comes down too poor management in the wake of the exit of Dr. Z.

---

One thing that will help will indeed be the press covering more American models with a fair view of the car to begin with. When you still have The New York Times writing horribly anti-GM and anti-Ford articles every-other-day, encouraging us all to buy Prius "S-boxes," you aren't going to get anywhere in the market. The public needs to see the American cars compared fairly between the Japanese models, and unfortunately it doesn't always happen. The Fusion and Aura have had their own shots and have only come up slightly short of the competition (mainly the Accord). Its hard to beat arguably the best sedan in the American market, but GM and Ford are closer than they have ever been before...

At least thats a start!

Back