why the slowdown?

dude, no offense, but the original is sooo good. besides, i don't own either of the newer ones yet and probably won't for awhile. so uless anybody has a copy of gt2 they would donate...

I haven't played GT3 yet, though it looks amazing. But then again, so did GT2 (at the time), and it was a steaming pile! Don't get me started on all the little things that piss me off about GT2. Ooh. Anyway, Gran Turismo is still, in my mind, the best game of the two I've played. Maybe when I've got more time, I'll rant on why I hate GT2 so friggin' much. :mad:

Originally posted by dr_oakdale
I haven't played GT3 yet, though it looks amazing. But then again, so did GT2 (at the time), and it was a steaming pile! Don't get me started on all the little things that piss me off about GT2. Ooh. Anyway, Gran Turismo is still, in my mind, the best game of the two I've played. Maybe when I've got more time, I'll rant on why I hate GT2 so friggin' much. :mad:
What's wrong with GT2? It offered so much improvement over the original (in my opinion). :confused:

I own games 1 and 3 in the GT3 series. Tell me, am I missing out by not having ever played GT2? Is it bad how I skipped from 1 to 3?

Originally posted by spaceviper
VC GT2 was so much fun because of the HUGE amount of cars to drive, thats what turned me to it so much, just the **** loads of cars!!!

Exactly. Can't go wrong with all those cars.

Originally posted by Jordan
What's wrong with GT2? It offered so much improvement over the original (in my opinion). :confused:

Hoo kay, here we go. Sure, there is an impressive number of cars on GT2. For me, I found that there were actually FEWER cars that were worth racing with in GT2 than in GT1. (Yeah, I said it.) Don't get me wrong, messing around in that Diahatsu truck or the Mini is pretty fun, but for mebbe five minutes. As for the new tracks, only two or three were both original in their design and fun to race on. Seattle was good, so was Laguna Seca, Rome MAYBE. Perhaps the thing about the new tracks that chapped my butt is the long straights punctuated by 90 degree turns or greater. I know this points to a different, perhaps more realistic driving style, but I don't prefer it. Personal choice. I'm no Cruisin' USA fan, but at the same time, I like to keep the spedometer over 60, know what I'm saying? Also, the little things bother me. The details that Polyphony got sloppy on. Can't get 100%. No drag racing TRACKS, but the useless cars were left in. The game's inability to save lap times (lap times, or was it something else? Please correct me.). Stuff like that is inexcusable given the attention-to-detail nature of the GT series.

Ahhh. Got everything off my chest. :)

Hoo kay, here we go. Sure, there is an impressive number of cars on GT2. For me, I found that there were actually FEWER cars that were worth racing with in GT2 than in GT1. (Yeah, I said it.) Don't get me wrong, messing around in that Diahatsu truck or the Mini is pretty fun, but for mebbe five minutes. As for the new tracks, only two or three were both original in their design and fun to race on. Seattle was good, so was Laguna Seca, Rome MAYBE. Perhaps the thing about the new tracks that chapped my butt is the long straights punctuated by 90 degree turns or greater. I know this points to a different, perhaps more realistic driving style, but I don't prefer it. Personal choice. I'm no Cruisin' USA fan, but at the same time, I like to keep the spedometer over 60, know what I'm saying? Also, the little things bother me. The details that Polyphony got sloppy on. Can't get 100%. No drag racing TRACKS, but the useless cars were left in. The game's inability to save lap times (lap times, or was it something else? Please correct me.). Stuff like that is inexcusable given the attention-to-detail nature of the GT series.

Well, OK, that's your opinion and I'm not going to argue with you, but I hardly think those points should keep you from enjoying the second-best racing game ever made. ;)

Well, OK, that's your opinion and I'm not going to argue with you, but I hardly think those points should keep you from enjoying the second-best racing game ever made. ;)

Hehe, good point. I was playing RR4 today, and the only thing I could think was, "Man, I know GT2 sucks, but at least it beats this." :D

Hehe, good point. I was playing RR4 today, and the only thing I could think was, "Man, I know GT2 sucks, but at least it beats this." :D
LOL, I don't think I even want to get you started on that! :lol:

crappy graphics have put it down 2 notches for my liking...if the graphics were like gt1 then id give it a 10, but for now gt2 stands at an 8

i guess you're not a big F1 fan

i like GT2 and GT3 (GT3 is obviously the best racing game to date) and GT2 was good b/c of the great variety of cars and Rome Night .........GT2 must beat GT1 in every aspect but GT1 is to be remembered for it was the first game of it's kind and totally changed racing video games .......GT2 kinda blows GT1 away....... and GT3, well that kinda of blew them both away with the help of the PS2

geeeez man get the stick outta your ass lol its a game...sony could have done better...but it is only a game

Arrrrr RR4 one of my most hated games, a proper pad throwing job if I saw one

All three games are miles ahead of anything else in the genre. GT1 and GT3 have the best graphics of the three. But I miss Red Rock Valley and Rome Night. I also miss having the variety of cars to start off with like in GT2.
In GT 3 I started with a s***box Trueno. :mad:
In GT 2 I've started with a Skyline, RX-7, and most recently the Spoon S2000. :D
GT2 does have crappy graphics. But it made up for it with exceptional gameplay.

Don't get me wrong, messing around in that Diahatsu truck or the Mini is pretty fun, but for mebbe five minutes.

true, but its so cool to hybrid them and blow away everything with those little things.

hybrids are for people that cant use normal cars to win races. like ****heads using the escudo. its more fun to use something with equal horsepower so you get better replays and a closer finish. well thats what i reckon anyway.

Well, I wouldn't always call hybridding cheating, especially if you've already beat everything else into submission. I don't think people should use hybrids unless they have finished the game; there are so many good cars in GT2 (yeah, yeah, off topic) that hybridding is fun for creating cars that Polyphony hadn't added to the game.

I made a Honda CR-V out of a Civic engine and drivetrain and a Subaru Forester...nothing giant killing, but fun to know you can make one! And who doesn't think the poor Midget could use, say 200hp? That said, making GT1 hybrids is a very, very difficult task. I have not made one successful one yet.

hybrids are for ppl with gamesharks and too much free time.

if you're making hybrids, you need a better hobby. i suggest GTA: Vice City. it does a good job of killing free time.

Supercar Street Racing allows you to make your own custom car. That's just like makin' hybrids.

GT 2 did have bad graphics but have you guys ever heard of bleemcast/bleem for dreamcast. If not its just a cd you put in your Dreamcast and it let you play Gran turismo 2 with little faster load times and better graphics. Kinda sucked playing with a Dreamcast controller but made up for the graphics. But the bad thing was that you can only save one game on a DC memory card(can't save any DC games on to it) bc it had to be formated to PSX format. But I have never had any glitches(that aren't in GT1 already)or freezes with it. And it costs about $10. But bleem is out of business so you can't get it from their web site.
bleemgt2_03.jpg

Back