Wii U Latest News and Discussion

That only adds some saltiness to Nintendo barely promoting XCX as much as they have Ultra Smash. :indiff:

Two weeks to go, and Nintendo still has two more videos left to upload for the "one every month until release" Survival Guide series, people confusing the game for the original Xenoblade or the N3DS port (akin to the confusion over the Wii U vs Wii), almost zero recognition outside of Nintendo circles, and prerelease chatter has been co-opted by a wave of troll-tastic controversy.

I'm still confident it will outperform its predecessor (~1 million), insofar as I care because I want to see a sequel funded and localized. But they're really underselling it. Even if an RPG is not everyone's cup of tea, it's a huge game and the holiday title for Wii U.

splatoonslosherdeco2_thumb.jpg

Last edited:
I thought it might be difficult to acquire, but I nabbed a Shovel Knight amiibo! I wasn't aware of what to expect besides the two-player co-op, but it offers a "Custom Knight" feature that puts a fun twist on the game, with lots of unlockable abilities and aesthetic options as you level up your amiibo by collecting gold. With me and my Custom Knight by her side, @Mrs Wolfe was brave enough to take on seven knights of the Order so far, aided by a code for infinite flare wand blasts and immunity to pits and lava. :D

On a side note, I also scooped up a cheap used copy of NFS Most Wanted U. Since it's old news for everyone else, I'll just say that it's garbage as a racing game, but way better as a free roam sort of game.

Another side note -- Metroid: Zero Mission is a great addition to the Virtual Console library for North America this week (@Benny44). I jumped on that as soon as I heard about it.

Shame it is our only racing game :/.
You owe it to yourself to take a look at FAST Racing Neo if you haven't already. 👍

Another side note -- Metroid: Zero Mission is a great addition to the Virtual Console library for North America this week (@Benny44). I jumped on that as soon as I heard about it.

You owe it to yourself to take a look at FAST Racing Neo if you haven't already. 👍
Still no Wii U unfortunately. BUT.....hopefully soon. My little cleaning business finally got a second contract this week. Maybe living off beans and rice will pay off! :lol:. Been a while since I've checked out this threadthread...there are going to be so many games for me to try!

It makes me really happy the the Wii U supports backwards compatibility, I finally Sonic Colours for the Wii after 2 years of searching :P. I played it on the Wii U and it is a very incredible game this day, it has one of best replay value in any platformer. This is because of the Wisp Mechanic which I think is the best mechanic in Sonic. As you progress through the game, you'll unlock new Wisp abilities on levels that allow it. Which means when you back to older levels that you completed, you can use your new Wisp ability to explore a completely new area in the level. There was this one hidden area in Sweet Mountain Act 3 which you get there after you unlock the Spike Wisp. It felt like I entered and it was actually a real tough challenge, probably the hardest area in the game.

@Benny44 -- Best of luck to you! I'm also self-employed so I empathize on how rewarding yet precarious it can be.

I had only ever played Zero Mission on an emulator years ago, and GBA emulation is still rough to this day. The gameplay is glorious with crisp controls and a fluid framerate, and it looks rather attractive with the VC's optional high-res filter. With my experience renewed, I can see why some rate it above Super Metroid.

@RESHIRAM5 -- I always hear good things about Sonic Colors. I'm naturally cautious on Sonic games, but I really should give that one a try.

It's more slower paced than Unleashed and Generations, as it is more focused on Platforming, Controls and Spectacles but it does really work and there are still running sections and the boost mechanic is also back (though you don't get as much boost this time due to the slower gameolay) to get you in some Sonic Speed.

I'd say this game is perfect for those who don't want a Boost-2-Win Sonic Game.

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue/Red arriving on the virtual console this week on Europe. Really hyped for this, will set me up perfectly for Super Mystery Dungeon 3DS which hits Europe at the end of February.

I keep checking the status of the update for FAST Racing Neo, but Shin'en says it's with Nintendo for certification by this point so they don't know when it will be online. Also, Star Fox Zero is rumored to have encountered development trouble and may be delayed beyond April.

Every one of the upcoming Wii U games I'm looking forward to is on an unknown timeframe...SFZ, '90s Arcade Racer, Rive, Hyper Light Drifter, Kerbal Space Program, A.N.N.E., Dual Core, Poi, The Legend of Zelda...

Fortunately I'm still only at ~58% completion on XCX despite having finished the main story chapters and played for ~160 hours. And there are numerous big indigens that can still kick my ass! I have more collecting and outfitting to do.

I keep checking the status of the update for FAST Racing Neo, but Shin'en says it's with Nintendo for certification by this point so they don't know when it will be online. Also, Star Fox Zero is rumored to have encountered development trouble and may be delayed beyond April.

Every one of the upcoming Wii U games I'm looking forward to is on an unknown timeframe...SFZ, '90s Arcade Racer, Rive, Hyper Light Drifter, Kerbal Space Program, A.N.N.E., Dual Core, Poi, The Legend of Zelda...

Fortunately I'm still only at ~58% completion on XCX despite having finished the main story chapters and played for ~160 hours. And there are numerous big indigens that can still kick my ass! I have more collecting and outfitting to do.
Maybe you've answered this already, but are you enjoying the game? Is it as good as it looked?

Star Fox Zero is fading into obscurity at this rate. :(

Maybe you've answered this already, but are you enjoying the game? Is it as good as it looked?
XCX? Probably the best RPG I've ever played, certainly in terms of gameplay. I love the freedom and versatility, the immersion and customizability with my own character, and the tight combat and surprisingly rewarding platforming that eclipses the repetitiveness inherent to RPGs.

It's not a very accessible game, and I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who might be turned off by lots of stats and variables. It throws a considerable learning curve at you until you're familiar with the gameplay mechanics, and makes full use of just about all of them throughout the game.

XCX? Probably the best RPG I've ever played, certainly in terms of gameplay. I love the freedom and versatility, the immersion and customizability with my own character, and the tight combat and surprisingly rewarding platforming that eclipses the repetitiveness inherent to RPGs.

It's not a very accessible game, and I would hesitate to recommend it to anyone who might be turned off by lots of stats and variables. It throws a considerable learning curve at you until you're familiar with the gameplay mechanics, and makes full use of just about all of them throughout the game.
Thanks! I don't mind games that don't have great accessibility, as long as the core game is good

@Benny44 -- Everything comes together smoothly once you're used to how it all works. The game just goes out of its way to put gameplay first, layering multiple elements together and conveying a lot of information at once. It even de-emphasizes the central plot to reinforce the theme of exploration and discovery (some people really dislike this), and most of the storytelling comes from the many "sidequests" between your character and NPCs. Those quests often include their own little story arcs, which sometimes change dramatically based on choices you make.

I haven't shared any screenshots in a while since my XCX thread didn't take off, so next time I'm on I'll take a few to show you my power-suit-esque armor set and my primary skell. :)

I was meaning to go back to XCX after playing a good bit initially but then I got distracted by Disgaea 5 on PS4.

Add Street Fighter V dropping next week I probably won't get a good go at it for a while. :(

Still need to play Freedom Planet too.

@Benny44 -- I teamed up with @Mrs Wolfe to pose for a photo on the top of BLADE tower. You can recruit other players to your party as AI companions at almost any time. Unfortunately, there's no dedicated "friends" option, presumably to prevent XP boosting. I tried to add @Brend but couldn't get him to show up in the search results.

WiiU_screenshot_TV_01C4D.jpg

The armor I'm wearing is made by one of the special arms manufacturers you unlock as you meet alien races and bring them back to New LA. I'm also currently wielding a photon saber made by the same company, paired with a sniper rifle.

My main skell is a Mastema with its standard issue sniper rifle, one of my favorite skell weapons for its damage, range, and fuel efficiency. Behind me is Mrs Wolfe in another one of my skells, a Lailah model equipped for melee combat.

As much as Pokemon is my favourite Franchise. I'll pass.

The roster represents everything I hate about Smash's involvement with Pokemon but times by 100%. Pure blind fan service.

I forgot how fantastic Twilight Princess is. The HD remaster released on Friday is great. Played around four hours so far and it's definitely my favorite Zelda game. Midna is also the best companion character in my opinion.

I'm building a bit of a backlog on Wii U right now, I've got to get back into Xenoblade Chronicles X, Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker and now Twilight Princess. Not to mention Pokken Tournament next week! I will need to pull myself from Street Fighter V to get stuck in.

Back