Will Forza Horizon 4's Next Expansion Feature LEGO?

• Thread starter mustafur
  • 532 comments
Australia
Western Sydney
mustafur
They are making all kinds of Bungles today, they leaked the photo for the Second expansion for a couple of mins:
FB_IMG_1559832846957.jpg

None of these pics I have gotten are mine, they are from a Discord channel so I can't confirm if it's real but looks likely.

I'm not even sure I would be ready to give LEGO a chance in Forza. Driving around in a brick world or whatever it might be is just too far removed from the immersion factor I get from Forza Horizon as it is. Hot Wheels in FH3 was okay because the aesthetics blended in nicely with the existing universe, adding a somewhat refreshing over the top take on the formula. Well, let's see what this next expansion really is first.

Torches and pitchforks at the ready? (I will try to keep an open mind, after all I did love Hot Wheels in FH3.)

I'm keeping an open mind, since we don't know the full details yet, but the outlook isn't positive. I'm sure the expansion will be non-ivasive to normal gameplay, so that's fine. Still dissapointed if we don't get properly modelled new cars though.

I mean a Lego Expansion would make total sense. Wonder if there are any original designs that could get brought over and done well.

I still maintain that a LEGO expansion, done well, could be really awesome. But I say that as someone who isn't really a motorsport purist that just wants more "real" cars piled up on the existing ones. It'd be one thing if FH4 launched with ~200 cars or something, but we've got a billion cars in the game already, with no doubt more weekly additions coming for the foreseeable future.

Assuming it's real, I'd like to see if there's any destructibility or building elements to it, since that's kinda the essence of what LEGO is. I doubt it'll be as simple as an expansion island with LEGO aesthetics, and calling it a day. Especially with those rumours of people saying it was like a whole new game unto itself, which suggests new mechanics.

I still maintain that a LEGO expansion, done well, could be really awesome.

That's the thing about the Hot Wheels expansion too in FH3. It could have been good. And in fact, in the beginning, it was certainly a good idea. But once you got into the faster races, the lack of grip on the tracks and the way that the AI would essentially spaz out at the situations presented to them really dampened the experience. As someone mentioned up thread, Forza physics simply aren't up to the task of what a Hot Wheels world needs. (Mainly, loads of grip.)

I guess I'll keep an open mind, but considering that looks about 90% real, I'm probably gonna pass on a LEGO expansion. It just feels like it's gonna be Hot Wheels all over again - a cool idea, but certainly lacking in polish and with the gimmicks that usually come with expansion packs, it's just going to feel half baked. Plus, considering the very much trickling stream of negativity from this game (Warranted or not, you be the judge) I wouldn't be surprised if this is the straw that breaks the camel's back for a chunk of people.

That's the thing about the Hot Wheels expansion too in FH3. It could have been good. And in fact, in the beginning, it was certainly a good idea. But once you got into the faster races, the lack of grip on the tracks and the way that the AI would essentially spaz out at the situations presented to them really dampened the experience. As someone mentioned up thread, Forza physics simply aren't up to the task of what a Hot Wheels world needs. (Mainly, loads of grip.)

I guess I'll keep an open mind, but considering that looks about 90% real, I'm probably gonna pass on a LEGO expansion. It just feels like it's gonna be Hot Wheels all over again - a cool idea, but certainly lacking in polish and with the gimmicks that usually come with expansion packs, it's just going to feel half baked. Plus, considering the very much trickling stream of negativity from this game (Warranted or not, you be the judge) I wouldn't be surprised if this is the straw that breaks the camel's back for a chunk of people.

That's a lot of extrapolation from what was basically just a potentially leaked thumbnail image, and we still have no idea what the "cool idea" even entails this time, aside from that it probably involves the LEGO branding, haha.

I didn't find anything terribly "half baked" about the Fortune Island expansion, other than that the discrete, walled-off nature of the expansions inherently makes them feel like they don't quite live up to their full potential because they aren't fully integrated into the rest of the game world - but that's hardly unique to FH4, and sounds more like it's a limitation of the building blocks of the current "Forza Engine" tech.

If the Lego expansion is basically FH3 Hot Wheels but with drivable Lego cars and a Lego themed map, then it probably isn't worth it. If there's actual new elements that bring the Lego experience to FH4, then it could be interesting.

I'm interested but quite skeptical.

Oh no, if it is Lego then we'll have to put up with people who call it Legos for some reason.

On a serious note, I cant see how it fits in. A Lego, sorry LEGO map would surely just consist of straights, 90 degree corners and 4 way junctions. As for the cars, the life size ones just look like regular cars with GT2 anti aliasing.

Also look at how basic the route creator is with regards to starting locations and props, so can we really see PG having a build cars/world/tracks mechanic? I just cant see what it would bring with the usual level on effort PG would use apart from looking like the map hasn't loaded correctly.

They are making all kinds of Bungles today, they leaked the photo for the Second expansion for a couple of mins: View attachment 826028

None of these pics I have gotten are mine, they are from a Discord channel so I can't confirm if it's real but looks likely.

No reputable (or, for that matter, disreputable) source seems to have picked up on this. As a matter of fact, a reverse Google Image search nets zero results...

If the Lego expansion is basically FH3 Hot Wheels but with drivable Lego cars and a Lego themed map, then it probably isn't worth it. If there's actual new elements that bring the Lego experience to FH4, then it could be interesting.

I'm interested but quite skeptical.

If it really is just "more Forza but LEGO aesthetics", then I'd obviously be underwhelmed. But I'm extremely skeptical that they'd get the LEGO branding, just to do nothing with the fundamental concept of what LEGO is.

I'm not anticipating an entirely new game or anything, but I could absolutely see a building aspect to it.

Point is, if they do justice to LEGO, then I'm totally onboard with it - I don't care about the conceptual silliness of it.

The rumours of this expansion being "like a whole new game", and thus taking longer than usual, would seem to support the idea that it's not just Horizon with a new coat of paint. But we will see.

It's also still entirely possible that this LEGO thing is all just smoke, and it's something completely different in the first place. As was noted by someone else, I haven't seen ANY media pick up on this LEGO rumour at all.

No reputable (or, for that matter, disreputable) source seems to have picked up on this. As a matter of fact, a reverse Google Image search nets zero results...

Neither does the current MSoft store listings, so either this was a leak that was quickly pulled, or Photoshop.

Probably this image is fake.
I think that this car is 240SX which remove the rear bumper and installed GT wing.
Perhaps this image is fake using images from websites like Super Street and Speedhunters.

Probably this image is fake.
I think that this car is 240SX which remove the rear bumper and installed GT wing.
Perhaps this image is fake using images from websites like Super Street and Speedhunters.
That's the Technic 911 GT3 RS:
lego-technic-porsche-911-gt3-rs-guk52.jpg

I think i can also see the LEGO Technic logo under the Forza logo.

If it's halfway decent clothing, then I'd approve it.

I'd probably be fine with it too, but you and I both know what the general response would be, haha.

Make the next expansion a Minecraft crossover. You have to spend hours bumping into terrain blocks to collect materials for building routes, and if a creeper explodes your car it's deleted from your garage permanently.

Also you can't drive at night - you have to sit in your garage. And the time passes by in real-time minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lego would be nice if it was its own game. Building your own car with Lego parts would be pretty great, in the style of old arcade racers from the past. But I really don't expect such creativity from Playground... The changeable tracks in Hot Wheels were actually a neat idea but that was it for Hot Wheels, the tires did nothing for example.

Biggest issue I have with Lego is that the normal cars just don't fit within a Lego setting. Hot Wheels was actually immersive since the Hot Wheels cars are just scale models. Lego cars on the other hand are built from Lego pieces, as is the world of Lego. A normal car feels completely out of place over there.

All in all, though, if it's really Lego, it's gonna be stupid. The Lego games are aimed at children (rated E of course but targeted at children). And I expected Playground to use the Xbox One X's horsepower for something other than a world made of Lego bricks. The possible cars introduced in a Lego expansion would not be useful in Forza Motorsport either, much less than the Hot Wheels cars we got last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have come to realization that the expansion theme isn't as important to me as the real cars it might bring with it. Hot Wheels in FH3 came with a few "normal" cars despite the overall theme being a little less serious.

So if some Hello Kitty expansion is all it takes to revive the Gumpert Apollo, then bring on Hello Kitty! :cool:

I have come to realization that the expansion theme isn't as important to me as the real cars it might bring with it. Hot Wheels in FH3 came with a few "normal" cars despite the overall theme being a little less serious.

So if some Hello Kitty expansion is all it takes to revive the Gumpert Apollo, then bring on Hello Kitty! :cool:

Honestly, I'd just be happy if they announced a Car Pass 2.

Back