Will the prologue I got work on my PS2?

• Thread starter Gsir8
  • 19 comments
I heard that the prologue was only available in Japan, so I purchased one on ebay. I have not recieved it yet and was wondering if it will work on my system. It is from hong kong and im in the U.S. Will my system play it?

Dont buy a modchip, if you do not have the required skills and tools for soldering that chips. the more easy thing to do, is to get those "swap magic 3 " disks and the slide tool, this way you only have to take-off the Ps2 cd-tray door.
then you use the slide tool to open the cd-tray without the ps2 "know".
then "swap" the magic disks with the GT Prologue, close the cd-tray manualy too, then LOAD and play.

I cannot give you more details of this, or you can pay a pro for the install of your chip.
good luck.

Thanks guys.

I will probably get the slide card combo, but I will wait to see if the guy ships the game. I guess it will come in handy if I want to play other japanese imports in the future.

And for anyone who has the slide card combo, does it work good? Is it worth the money?

I would recommend using the flip-top cover with the swap magic disks instead of the slide card. I know the slide card works, but if used improperly can easily damage your ps2. Once you install the flip-top cover, there is really no risk after that.

8400RPM
I would recommend using the flip-top cover with the swap magic disks instead of the slide card. I know the slide card works, but if used improperly can easily damage your ps2. Once you install the flip-top cover, there is really no risk after that.
Teh flip top is $50 though. And it has instructions so he should be able to do it...unless he is very stupid.

I would reacon that it would be better to get your PS2 chipped......But that is only my opinion.......I would rather give it to a professional "chipper" rather than mess things up myself with shoving things in the tray!......Im very happy with my mod chip which will play everything and can be turned off.

I ordered the slide card combo.

I have two very good points about the slide card combo which made me buy it.

One being that once I take the disc out, my system is back to normal, and also I don't know how to put the chip in, and I don't want to mess around with my ps2, and if I brought it to someone to put the chip in, I would prolly have to pay him alot to do it.

Can anyone with the slide card combo explain to me how it works, I'm sure it will tell me when I get it, but that won't be for a while.

$145 !!! O_O !!!

i modded it myself with Dms3v9 hehe only 40 USD, shipping included!! hehehe
and years back, i do the same with my ps2 v4 and a Messiah hehehe..

All this to play import games like , silent hill 2, DDR, GT Concept, now GT4 Prologue PAL.

fast explanation of how Swap disks cr4p works:
swap magic discs = SMD

1- the SMD have a program that just stops the disk from spining, and have 2 options "start the game again" = LOAD program, and some other tweaks for change the video mode.
2- once the disk stopped spining, and you have the cd-tray door removed, you can now use the slide card to bring out the cd-tray.
3- the slide cards moves a lock and slides the cdtray out.
4- now .you have the cd-tray opened without pressing the eject button. ( if you presed the eject button, when it closes again the ps2 will try to check if the new disk inside is a valid ps2 disk, from the same region US, Japanese, PAL, etc. . but since you didnt press the eject button the ps2 didnt notice the cd-tray was open, then it will not check again if the cd inside is valid)
5- swap the disk with your original GT4P Japanese.
6- manually close the cd-tray pushing it inside. then move the lock back to its position with the slide card.
7- select on the screen "LOAD PROGRAM" this command make the ps2 runs the current cd from the begginign, but without checking if its a valid disk
8- PLAY!

robin2223
I would reacon that it would be better to get your PS2 chipped......But that is only my opinion.......I would rather give it to a professional "chipper" rather than mess things up myself with shoving things in the tray!......Im very happy with my mod chip which will play everything and can be turned off.

The huge disadvantage to getting a modchip, besides price, is online play. You have to turn off the chip EVERY time you turn ON your playstation, to play online. The swap discs are simple to use with the fliptop. The modchip IS EASIER to use if you use it all the time hands down, but for me (and probably most people with broadband), that does not outweigh the price and the hassle of turing the chip off eveytime you want to play online.

I look at it this way. I don't play near as many imports as I do domestic games, so I would be using the "normal" playstation features MOST of the time i.e. domestic games with at least 50% of that time playing online. Everytime I would want to play online I'd have to hold down the power button and eject/whatever for 8 seconds for it to shut off. Everytime! On the flip side, with a fliptop I would have to swap discs everytime I wanted to play an import. But, for me, I play online games way more than I play imports, especially when GT4 comes out! That would be a MAJOR hassle, as I will be playing GT4 nonstop for ages and ages online, and I would have to disengage the modchip everytime. For me, the choice was easy.

Don't waste your money for mod-chips. They are nice solutions but you can have an almost as good solution for under half the cost. Also avoid the slide-card solution. It works fine but it feels like you are breaking or damaging the PS2 each and everytime you use it. In fact you must be because you are actually wiggling the slide card in the PS2 until you trigger the draw motor, it just feels wrong.

I use the flip-top cover with the Swap Magic discs. Works like it should. The entire deal cost me about $50 US, that includes the discs and the flip-top. It was easy to install in under 10 minutes. Though when you put the flip-top on you void the PS2 warranty, but so does a mod-chipping it. If you are a hardcore gamer who plays many import games or import DVDs you probably should invest in a NTSC or PAL japanese PS2, screw both the mod-chip and flip-top solution for that. I only play GT4P so the flip-top is perfect for me.

Latest Posts

Back