Win a 2018 UK Formula Ford Scholarship With Sim Racing

Thats a good sesh of 'hot lapping' by the suited n booted fella in the photo, Lap171 and counting. :lol:

It gets quite close to me this Tues, might give it a go.

I bet that prize is worth well over £5K. :eek:

£25 per entry for 30mins.

The Blurb.

"The Competition
At any chosen venue, the competitor will have 30 minutes with which to post the fastest laptime possible around the Brands Hatch Indy Circuit, driving the Formula Rookie car, all within the Project Cars software.

Using the Thrustmaster T300 GT RS steering wheel and pedal set with TH8A manual gear selector mounted to the Playseat Evolution Black, the entrant will navigate the famously tight and technical circuit, drawing on every ounce of skill and experience to eke out every last thousandth of a second.

Coupling realistic physics with a lack of driver aids, this is truly a test of driver skill.

The Prize
// Entry fees for all 8 weekends of the national Formula Ford championship

// One test day before each weekend

// Team costs

// Use of a championship winning car

// Fuel, tyres and wear and tear

Included in team costs are professional, championship winning race engineering and session data analysis to improve lap times.

The winner will have the opportunity to cut their teeth in one of the most hotly contested single seater racing categories in UK motor sport. Previous drivers to have excelled in this category include Jenson Button, Mark Webber, Ayrton Senna and many more professional GT and Prototype career drivers.

The prize is one of the biggest and most lucrative prizes in UK motorsport.

Find an Event //

The winner must be 16 or over on the 1st March 2018. There is no age limitation on actually competing. The winner must be able to physically drive the car, this includes being able to operate the car to full ability as well as being able to fit in the car."

"Terms & Conditions
Competition Rules and Regulations
Sporting Regulations

Entrants may be any age. To be eligible to win the scholarship he/she must be over the age of 16 on the 1st March 2018

All competitive laptimes must be set on regulation competition gear at a designated event

Track limits rules are as 2017 MSA rules: ‘a driver will be judged to have left the track if any wheel of the car either goes beyond the outer edge of any kerb or goes beyond the white line where there is no kerb’ Violation of this rule will result in a lap being disallowed. If the violation is perceived to give advantage to the next racing lap then that may be disallowed subject to discretion

Competitors must immediately vacate the competition hardware when their session time has elapsed, failure to do so may result in disqualification

A lap is void if the entrants session time elapses during that lap

The session must consist of entirely whole laps, no resetting of software or track position is permitted unless a technical issue demands it

There is no upper limit on number of sessions driven by a single entrant

All entrants give permission for the scholarship to use their name, photo/video footage of their performance and any subsequent interviews on the promotional website and social media feeds

Any entrant found to be breaking or bending the rules will be disqualified without refund.

Technical Regulations

The driver must compete using the “Project Cars” software

The driver must compete on the Brands Hatch Indy circuit

The driver must compete using the “Formula Rookie” option

No “driving assist” options in the game may be enabled

No changes may be made to the equipment or hardware/software settings provided by the competition

Entrants should proceed on the basis that “If it is not expressly permitted to do something, that they should not do it”

Criteria for winning

The winner will be the entrant who on the regulation equipment provided and within all of the rules of the competition posts the shortest lap time. If there is a tie for first place between two or more entrants, a one-day tie-breaker event will be held after the competition closing date on the same equipment and software. The winner must be 16 or over on the 1st March 2018. There is no age limitation on actually competing. The winner must be able to physically drive the car, this includes being able to operate the car to full ability as well as being able to fit in the car."

Well worth having a stab I reckon.

Last edited:
Need events like this in America. There doesn't even appear to be a entry fee FFS.

I posted 2nd-fastest times on all the simulators on-display at PRI-Indy 2016, running a mix of rFactor, Project CARS, and iRacing - only losing-out to a few seasoned SCCA racers and those running the sims who have far more practice. Gimmie a seat :P

@numbnuts70 its worth around £40k, £5k would just about be enough for 1 weekend racing. :lol:

Anyone set any times? And any idea if tyre wear and fuel use is on or off?

@numbnuts70 its worth around £40k, £5k would just about be enough for 1 weekend racing. :lol:

Anyone set any times? And any idea if tyre wear and fuel use is on or off?

Well, I did say well over. :D

From what I can gather there's a late 47 been posted.

Can't get what they're running exactly, the tyres are going red on some photos but I'm not sure if that indicates tyre wear is on or not.
Plus, I cant work out how they're running nearly 300lap sessions, unless they're booking 2hrs in 1 lump at £100 a throw. :eek:

Default full tank is 33l and majorly changes the handling, with 5l in TT mode 47s are fairly easy to get, a different story for me with the tank brimmed.

Track limits is a question mark for me as I've interpreted it as no part of the tyre (outermost) can go outside of the white line/kerbing edge, whereas I've always taken that as the innermost set of wheels, rather than the outermost set, in TTs and online races before - maybe you can enlighten me @Spurgy 777 as to the MSA rules, whether its all 4 tyres or just 2 within the track.

Also, if you find out how to get the settings they run with eg TT, single race etc, posting those here would be appreciated.

Decided not to go up to Weobly today as I've got other stuff on, there's plenty of time left though.

Last edited:
Can't get what they're running exactly, the tyres are going red on some photos but I'm not sure if that indicates tyre wear is on or not.

I gave them a ring and they said they run in free practice with tyre wear and fuel off.

Plus, I cant work out how they're running nearly 300lap sessions, unless they're booking 2hrs in 1 lump at £200 a throw. :eek:

You can book as many sessions as you want, I've booked 6 myself :lol:

Track limits is a question mark for me as I've interpreted it as no part of the tyre (outermost) can go outside of the white line/kerbing edge, whereas I've always taken that as the innermost set of wheels, rather than the outermost set, in TTs and online races before - maybe you can enlighten me @Spurgy 777 as to the MSA rules, whether its all 4 tyres or just 2 within the track.

From what I understand it's all 4 wheels on track and kerb counts as track. So no wheels beyond the kerbs or white lines.

I gave them a ring and they said they run in free practice with tyre wear and fuel off.

You can book as many sessions as you want, I've booked 6 myself :lol:

From what I understand it's all 4 wheels on track and kerb counts as track. So no wheels beyond the kerbs or white lines.

Can they scrutinise laps for track limit incursions when running in free practice?
If they can't, they're either relying on the game itself to dis-count laps or got some poor bloke with matchsticks between his eyelids, watching every lap(which they can't do if you're driving cockpit view).

6 sessions all in 1 block for 3hrs or spaced out a bit?

Can they scrutinise laps for track limit incursions when running in free practice?
If they can't, they're either relying on the game itself to dis-count laps or got some poor bloke with matchsticks between his eyelids, watching every lap(which they can't do if you're driving cockpit view).

6 sessions all in 1 block for 3hrs or spaced out a bit?

Don't know how they check laps for track limits and I'm doing 2 1.5 hour sessions.

Hmm... This is for sure tempting. I don't see a TH8A shifter being used so that should help make things even closer. Hopefully equipment is kept to a decent standard and settings remain same for all, looks like they are using PS4 version. Probably go down to thousandths the difference between winning and losing given such a short track. Amazing prize and should be easy to be competitive at with little experience.

Wonder what they mean by being able to operate the car to full ability? If as simple as being able to use all functions of car or to be able to drive close to the ragged edge without driver training programme.

Hmm... This is for sure tempting. I don't see a TH8A shifter being used so that should help make things even closer. Hopefully equipment is kept to a decent standard and settings remain same for all, looks like they are using PS4 version. Probably go down to thousandths the difference between winning and losing given such a short track. Amazing prize and should be easy to be competitive at with little experience.

Wonder what they mean by being able to operate the car to full ability? If as simple as being able to use all functions of car or to be able to drive close to the ragged edge without driver training programme.

They probably mean you have to be able to pass an ARDS test without training.

They probably mean you have to be able to pass an ARDS test without training.
I just messaged them now on Twitter, will post back on here once I get a reply.

Is it just me or it all seems a bit too good to be true? Hopefully it's legit but seems dodgy to me looking only a little into it.

I just messaged them now on Twitter, will post back on here once I get a reply.

Is it just me or it all seems a bit too good to be true? Hopefully it's legit but seems dodgy to me looking only a little into it.

I'm pretty sure it's legit, JMR are a FF team and there's too much advertisement of it for it to be fake. Looking at their team though you probably won't be driving in the top class of FF, they seem to have a pre-89 car.

I'm pretty sure it's legit, JMR are a FF team and there's too much advertisement of it for it to be fake. Looking at their team though you probably won't be driving in the top class of FF, they seem to have a pre-89 car.
Got a link to team, didn't know they are a FF team?

Got a link to team, didn't know they are a FF team?

Looking into some more it I might of got myself confused with something else, I'll try and get some more concrete information, I know some people I could ask racing in FF right now.

Looking into some more it I might of got myself confused with something else, I'll try and get some more concrete information, I know some people I could ask racing in FF right now.
Well got some replies from him. Paddle shifting, no TH8A shifter being used at the events. He mentioned about operating the car to full ability means you just need to have full use of all limbs and have good enough eyesight to drive a car. There won't be a driver training programme. Will be funded through his analytical company and ticket sales.

I'm still very sceptical given company was only set up a few months before this event started and office is just a 2 bedroom house he probably lives in. Very generous event if it turns out to be legit, I might still take part just to see where I'd rank.

That tends to be where the UK Formula Ford races happen.

When I said "UK only once again" I was referring to all around racing competitions. North America in general (Including Canada) has been getting left out of things lately, most racing competition for a scholarships, competitions for sim racing, or as of late GT Academy has forgotten about us.

Sorry I wasn't clear enough beforehand..

Last edited:
Off to Camberley for this one tomorrow. Doubt I'll get anywhere but it's worth the shot.

Also it'll be a good test of the T300 & TH8A

@Spurgy 777 @epic_apri_39 How did you guys find it? Get close to first position?

The game he is running has not been patched, so the car was a lot slower than it is in the current version of the game. That meant I went from being 0.5 seconds up on the best time so far to 0.2 slower on Saturday which is annoying because I thought I had a really good chance, but never mind.

The game he is running has not been patched, so the car was a lot slower than it is in the current version of the game. That meant I went from being 0.5 seconds up on the best time so far to 0.2 slower on Saturday which is annoying because I thought I had a really good chance, but never mind.
Are you allowed to say what is the best time? Did you improve much over initial few laps, wonder if an hour and a half will be enough. Can you restart laps or just have to carry on lap after lap?

Are you allowed to say what is the best time? Did you improve much over initial few laps, wonder if an hour and a half will be enough. Can you restart laps or just have to carry on lap after lap?

I'm not allowed to say what the best time is, although you can probably tell me your best time and I will give you a vague indication of how good it is, I image it's not too far off :lol: As for session length, I did 2 1.5 hour stints, and the second stint wasn't really necessary, I just booked it as I didn't know how long it would take to get used to the different wheel, etc. However I was still setting new personal bests towards the end of the first session, so I'd say 1-1.5 hours is probably good, 30 minutes might not be enough, depends on how quickly you adjust and get up to speed.

@Spurgy 777 @epic_apri_39 How did you guys find it? Get close to first position?
The FFB was an absolute nightmare, you couldn't feel anything slip until it was far too late. The wheel also had come loose from the base so sometimes when I went to shift down, it either wouldn't shift or shifted twice. Did a time down from the best (back then) by 0.9 but I ran off at Graham Hill so it didn't matter anyways.
I'm not allowed to say what the best time is, although you can probably tell me your best time and I will give you a vague indication of how good it is, I image it's not too far off :lol: As for session length, I did 2 1.5 hour stints, and the second stint wasn't really necessary, I just booked it as I didn't know how long it would take to get used to the different wheel, etc. However I was still setting new personal bests towards the end of the first session, so I'd say 1-1.5 hours is probably good, 30 minutes might not be enough, depends on how quickly you adjust and get up to speed.
I think I might've seen you there, what times were you on?

Last edited:
My best time is a 46.83(driver aids off)...... would I be in with a shout with that?

Definitely, you won't be able to go that fast on their setup, because their running an unpatched version of the game, so expect to be about 0.7 seconds slower, but assuming you're running with all the correct settings you stand a good chance of setting the fastest time.

Ok thanks........I'll have to see if I can knock a bit more off then. I wasn't sure what set up they would be using so thought best to try it with all aids off (tyre wear and fuel off) .... certainly makes a difference compared to aids on

Back