Work in Progress: TS020

• Thread starter backspace
  • 46 comments
Algeria
Algeria
I've been working on this on and off for about a month. Its nowhere near complete yet :indiff: , but it's slowly starting to resemble a gt-one.

Along with whats in the picture i've completed the tire, rim, rotor, and winshield. The calipers still need some work. I'll post pictures of that later, but since its 2:30 am I need some sleep.

Program: I'm using 3ds Max 7, and polymodeling technique

I'm only modeling 1/2 of the car then copying and mirroring it, and since I just rendered this quickly I didnt copy all the parts over, just the body.

Some critiques or just comments would be nice, its easy to miss mistakes after you've been staring at a screen for hours

I have to thank Roo for posting a bunch of GT-One pictures for me in his goodwood FOS thread, they helped a bunch

More (and better) renders tomorrow 👍

Didn't have any time to work on the car today, but heres the tires.

Wireframe

Wireframe

messiest wireframe evAh :ill:

The mesh needs to be cleaned up under that front scoop in the corners, just ignore that for now :sly:

Back with some new updates. A few small changes here and there; some tweaking and stuff, mostly the rear fenders/engine cover

This time those lazy mechanics decided to mount the wheels :P

Found some time to work on the car. The body is 95% done :)
I only have one render, and its terrible :lol: I'll see If I can update soon with some better renders.
(You have to click the image again once it loads to get the full size.)

This render is still low quality, but slightly better then the last one
The only real update to the car are the front splitters

My poor computer is at its knees trying to render the car. :indiff:

Just a little messing around :)

what type of modeling you doing polygon or nurbs?, also which programme? Im a Maya users, its a very clean model, can we see a wire please. :)

That looks a lot like 3DS. Not bad though, modeling something like that takes a lot of time.

I'm using 3ds Max 7, and polymodeling :ouch: can't beleive I forgot to mention that.

I'm going to add some more renders and wireframes in a few minutes. Thanks for the comments. :)

Im guessing then from you saying that its a poly model that its a box modeling techique your using, and the poly smoothing the mesh afterwards, very nice work. Whats the poly limit or dosnt it have one?. The mesh overall is quite tidy although i did spot at least one 5 sided poly but as its still a work in progress than this is not problem what so ever. please keep us upto date on your progress. :)

sprite
Im guessing then from you saying that its a poly model that its a box modeling techique your using

I started with a single polygon, and dragged out the edges to create new poly's. I've heard this technique being called polymodeling before, but I may be wrong.

and the poly smoothing the mesh afterwards

Yeah, 3ds max smoothes things out using a modifer called "meshsmooth" to subdivide the mesh.

Whats the poly limit or dosnt it have one?

Since it wont be used in a game my only limit is how much my computer can take :indiff: I'd like to also model the interior, and maybe the engine if my puter' can handle it.

The mesh overall is quite tidy although i did spot at least one 5 sided poly

I'm sure theres a few 5 sided poly's and a bunch of 3 sided ones. I'll try to clean up what I can, but if it doesn't affect the look of the smoothed mesh then i'm going to leave them alone ;)

BlazinXtreme
Wow you own my skills after seeing some of the detail.

:lol: Thanks. I'm not out to own anyones skills, just wanted to show some of my hard work. I don't care how crappy anyones skills are, if they're trying to learn 3d modeling/cad they deserve credit.

I remeber a thread I think you made a while back that had some cars and trucks modeled by you and a friend. I was pretty impressed when I saw those. 👍

Magic069: I'm taking auto cad classes my junior and senior year of highschool. I'm going to be doing all my required classes in the morning, leaving at around noon, and then going to votech for the rest of the day to learn CAD. It will get me credits and advanced placement in college courses :)

backspace
I've been working on this on and off for about a month. Its nowhere near complete yet :indiff: , but it's slowly starting to resemble a gt-one.

Along with whats in the picture i've completed the tire, rim, rotor, and winshield. The calipers still need some work. I'll post pictures of that later, but since its 2:30 am I need some sleep.

Program: I'm using 3ds Max 7, and polymodeling technique

I'm only modeling 1/2 of the car then copying and mirroring it, and since I just rendered this quickly I didnt copy all the parts over, just the body.

Some critiques or just comments would be nice, its easy to miss mistakes after you've been staring at a screen for hours

I have to thank Roo for posting a bunch of GT-One pictures for me in his goodwood FOS thread, they helped a bunch

More (and better) renders tomorrow 👍

Didn't have any time to work on the car today, but heres the tires.

Wireframe

Wireframe

messiest wireframe evAh :ill:

The mesh needs to be cleaned up under that front scoop in the corners, just ignore that for now :sly:
Woah! That is awesome! How steep is the learning curve for 3dsmax? I've always wanted to use it :drool:

I must say backspace im very impressed by your work. I found modeling cars quite a hard process, im more into modeling character's. also learning CAD is a task and a half, my flat mate uses CAD, and i was shocked by how hard it is to do. more science than art. anyway i whish you the best of luck getting into collage. and cant wait to see the final render. ive just got Maxwell, its a super rendering engine for MAX, Maya, and other programmes including some CAD ones like Rino and Solidworks. I sugest you take a look it, its alot easier to get good results than Mental Ray.

Link to Maxwell

Yikes! $1000 for a render?

Yep its worth every penny. It puts back the enjoyment in rendering, with MR and other's is that you spend just as much time setting the cammeras up and settings for the rendering engine as you do making the scene you want to render, but Maxwell makes it easier and takes some of the pain out of rendering, one thing i cant get my head round tho, is that with it been still in beta, that most of the rendering is done through a small comand line or a dos programme, i do hope they change it for the release of V.1.

Yeah... the vid was impressive. I wonder how the interface is like? I'd get it just to have if I were to get into cad stuff more.

Silverzone: To be honest, if your learning on your own like I did its pretty steep. Theres three basic things you need to learn 3ds max, tutorials, help files, and patience. :sly: I've been using 3ds for 2 or 3 years, and I'm still reading tutorials and searching through help files. 3ds max has a 30 day free trial on their website (www.discreet.com) and you could use g-max, which is a stripped down version of 3ds max. Don't think 3ds is the only modeling program out there though, theres also Maya, Softimage Xsi, cinema 4d, and a bunch of others you may want to check out.

I think one of the problems I may have is that I've only bothered to learn 3ds max, and there may be a great job opportunity out there that is only accepting people experienced with Maya.

Sprite: Thanks :)

Maxwell looks amazing, I'm suprised I haven't heard more things about it. I use (but am not very good at) Brazil or Final Render. I really don't like Mental Ray much, but 3ds has its own built in scanline renderer which is what I use for most of these test renders.

I'll have some more updates coming soon, I'm working on the rear fenders at the moment.

Thanks for all the comments 👍

I can take a guess at what most of the buttons/menu's do from that c4d gui screenshot. I guess its just that it takes time to get used to a certain program. Another thing that may help is assigining your own keys. In 3ds, i've assigned the keys the way I wan't them. It makes modeling much faster then constantly clicking the "move" button, then the "scale" button etc. Try assigning the keys you use most (like to pan, zoom, and rotate around the viewport) and mesh editing tools to keys you feel comfortable with. If you just can't get comfortable with it, try a demo of another program and see if you like that better.

Well, I've dusted off my copy of c4d and looking at the manual now... I'll probably see if it actually installs and see what I can do with it because I've learned a lot since the last time I used it. :D

Vipfreak, Maxon cinema 4d is very similar to Maya, in the way you navigate and model, To be honest Coadmasters when they came in to teach us they suggested that we used Max all the way, but i had already learnt the basics of Maya and i didnt want to spend more time on learning another 3d package. At the moment im teaching myself Z-brush, its a very good package for making quick organic shapes with, you should check that out. i guess it depends on what your using it for, as ive been told by a few in the industy that when modeling cars Nurb modeling tends to give the best results, but i hate Nurbs, too much faffing about.

backspace
Nurbs and Booleans are terrible to work with in 3ds Max. :ill:

Yeah, I guess that's why I would rather use Rhino, Solidworks or even Alias instead because I know the interface is so much more user friendly. Thanks for the info guys. 👍

What kind of files will Z brush import?

i havent imported anything yet and because i havent got to the part in my book about importing stuff, but i think that it imports anything.

just done a quick check and in the help documents it says this

"For 2D images, the BMP, PSD, PICT and TIFF formats are supported. When exported from the Alpha palette, the TIFF format is a 16 bit image ideal for use with displacement maps. In addition, ZBrush will import the JPG format. Multi-layer PSD images will be flattened on import since ZBrush's layer system is very different from Photoshop's. For 3D objects, ZBrush supports OBJ and DXF. The OBJ format is the most common, since it supports UV mapping (ZBrush will use any UV mapping that's applied to the model, or can assign UV coordinates itself). Additional formats will be possible in the future through plugins."

Back