Working on the "Perfect Game"...

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one crazy enough to try something like this... Here's what I've been doing...

After first falling in love with my friend's GT3 (I still haven't bought my own, and have held this one for longer than he has), I decided to embark on the nerdiest of adventures... the "Perfect" GT3 saved game.

I first had to define it. My first priority was completing the game (100% completion) in the fewest number of days, with no repeated races (including arcade mode professional races). My second priority was to buy as few cars as possible. Next, I wanted to use the fewest number of cars, and put the fewest number of miles on them. And, lastly, I wanted to spend as little as possible.

I've been keeping a diary of my achievements, and might post it sometime (it would have to be a webpage, too big for a post) when I finish it. But as a preview, here are a couple of notes...

I had played GT3 for about 3 months, finishing all races in simulation mode except Formula GT. When I finally looked online, I had discovered all that I was missing. I bought another memory card and wanted to start afresh (it was too late to do some of the things I wanted, and too deep for me to delete).

By Sim Mode day 0 I already had the Panoz Esperante in my garage, with 136 trophies (I raced most of the arcade races from Easy to Pro in the Arta NSX and Ford Focus Rally Car). The Esperante was awarded for completing all golds for the Time Trials.

I used the next 48 Sim Mode days (about 3 weeks real-life) to get all golds for my licenses.

So there are only 2 cars I ABSOLUTELY NEED TO BUY... a TVR Speed 6 and some sort of Mercedes, likely the CL600 (for the Tuscan Challenge and Silver Arrow Series races)... You cannot win an eligible car for either of these races (Mercedes vehicles are awarded for Silver Arrow wins).

As of 7-15-02, I'm on day 141, and here are my numbers... Keep in mind that best lap times and sportsmanship were NOT a priority while racing.
(I'll explain later where I could've spent less)

Day 141: 2,026,000
Complete: 55.7%
Prize Total: 2,206,500
Wins: 125
Races: 125
Win Ratio: 100%
Licenses Acquired: S,R [48,0,0]
Cars Owned: 45
Total Mileage: 2399.8
Tatal Car Value: 17,909,190
Bonus Cars Acquired: 45
Trophies Acquired: 268

Cars with mileage (won as award)...

Viper GTSR Concept (Super License All Gold Award): 1088.3mi
IMPREZA Rally Car Prototype (Rally License All Gold Award): 374.0mi
VITZ RS 1.5 (Beginner/FF Challenge Award): 210.0mi
Xsara Rally Car (Rally/Special Stage Route 5 (Wet) Award): 124.0mi
Spoon Civic Type-R (Professional/FF Challenge Award): 123.6mi
ALTEZZA LM Race Car (Professional/Vitz Race Award): 101.5mi
Miata MX-5 Miata LS (B License All Gold Award): 93.9mi
LANCER Evolution VII Rally Car Prototype (Rally/Rally of Alps II Award): 57.2mi

... NO GAME SHARK!!!

I'll keep you up to date on my progress, but I'm curious as to what others think, or if they're doing similarly...

Hazzard

Originally posted by vat_man
You're insane - good luck.

I second that.

My "perfect game" would be to spend 0cr, or as close to it as is possible. I almost purchased a second memory card just so I could perform the amazing feat without losing my personal game. I guess I could get through it pretty quickly now, though, and have a mess of money and cars by the time I finished.

~LoudMusic

Originally posted by vat_man
You're insane - good luck.
you ARE insane, i bearly beat the s-class with bronze, and you got gold on all of them!!!
i would try a perfect game if i was in prison with nothing eles to do-

Originally posted by 1mic

you ARE insane, i bearly beat the s-class with bronze, and you got gold on all of them!!!
i would try a perfect game if i was in prison with nothing eles to do-

No kidding... either insane determination, or determined insane... I haven't figured it out yet...

But again, I just need to mention that it was NOT EASY getting all S-License golds. My times on many of the license tests were not blow-outs, by any means, but they were enough to satisfy the GT3 programmers. The toughest for me were the R-8 (Evolution @ Tahiti Maze) and S-2 (GT40 @ Seattle) tests.

I didn't even feel like trying to improve on gold times... I went straight to SAVE after getting gold. My thumbs go dead after the first 3023429348329 attempts.

As far as being in prison... You should see my place. LOL!

Hazzard

Originally posted by LoudMusic

My "perfect game" would be to spend 0cr, or as close to it as is possible. I almost purchased a second memory card just so I could perform the amazing feat without losing my personal game...
~LoudMusic

Yeah, I'm trying to spend as little as possible, but it is the lowest of my priorities.. I think I could've spent less upgrading my VITZ, and my Spoon CIVIC, and might've been able to keep the Xsara stock (as given) for the Pro/FF Challenge... Too late now to find out for sure, but I'm keeping track of the money I'm spending, and on what I'm spending it... but NOT buying a car was a huge qualifier. I found out later online that this is impossible (see opening post).

My previous saved game still has more than 350 days on it, and I mainly use it to test vehicles I don't have on my "Perfect" card. It was important to know for sure which of the prize cars were best suited for competition.

Haven't raced yet today... still a few more rough edges to iron out before I proceed.

Have a Great Drive!

Hazzard

Well as for me i have not gone to that extreme. But i am going through the game trying to maintain a 100% win ratio. Plus trying to not repeat any of the other races I have completed just to get extra cash. As of now i think i have about 35% completed, but im not too sure on that number. I dont feel like fireing up my PS2 right now. Anyways good luck with your "Perfect Game" RoadHazzard

Originally posted by LoudMusic

I second that.

My "perfect game" would be to spend 0cr, or as close to it as is possible. I almost purchased a second memory card just so I could perform the amazing feat without losing my personal game. I guess I could get through it pretty quickly now, though, and have a mess of money and cars by the time I finished.

~LoudMusic
I did the same thing

JUST TO MAKE THINGS CLEAR... Obviously, I won't save a game that doesn't comply with my objectives. That is, if I win the wrong car in a multi-award race, I RE-RACE it without saving until I do.

There are some key cars that MUST be won for me to complete this (i.e. a particular path that must be taken), some of which I've already done..

Spoon CIVIC Type-R - Awarded for all golds at the Professional/FF Challenge. It is the only prize car eligible for the Type-R Meeting races (* the Amateur/Type-R Meeting awards an eligible car).
TT 1.8 quattro - Awarded for series win at Amateur/American Championship (the ONLY race that offers this car as a prize (1 of 4)), and is needed for the Beginner/Audi TT Race and Amateur/Tourist Trophy.
Clio Sport Race Car - Awarded for gold at Endurance/Super Speedway 150 Miles (the ONLY race that offers this car as a prize (1 of 4)), and is needed for the Professional/Clio Trophy races.
New Beetle Cup car - Awarded for series win at Amateur/German Touring Car Championship (1 of 4), and for series win at Professional/Clio Trophy. It is needed for the Beginner/Beetle Cup races.
ALTEZZA LM Race Car - Awarded at 2 races other than the Amateur/ALTEZZA Championship.. Professional/Vitz Race (1 of 4 (* I ran the 10th race something like 8 times before I finally won it) and Endurance/Laguna Seca 200 Endurance (1 of 4). It is the only prize car eligible for the ALTEZZA races.
Elise 190 - Awarded for series win at Amateur/European Championship (the ONLY race that offers this car as a prize (1 of 4)), and is needed for the Professional/Elise Trophy races.

All other car type requirements can be satisfied with single-prize award vehicles, except:

Professoinal/Tuscan Challenge
Beginner/Legend of Silver Arrow
Amateur/Legend of Silver Arrow

(Cars MUST BE PURCHASED to satisfy entry requirements for these races)

Hope this helps others on their quest...

Hazzard

I don't understand what's the purpose or fun about having a win percentage of 100%. It doesn't prove that you're good, anyone can do it.

Originally posted by JoniK
I don't understand what's the purpose or fun about having a win percentage of 100%. It doesn't prove that you're good, anyone can do it.

Well, being good was not one of my objectives for MY "perfect" game (fortunately). But if LEGITIMATELY getting all golds for all license tests and time trials says anything about my being good or bad, I will let it speak for itself (again, I readily admit that they I did not run unbeatable times).

Keep in mind that I already have another card with 350+ days on it, that DOES NOT have 100% wins. I had a crapload of fun playing that game, and still do. But I have goals for this other (hopefully, soon-to-be immaculately) saved game...

and being good is not one of those goals.

Besides, just because anyone can do it, doesn't mean anyone's doing it... I am trying. :]

Have a Great Drive

Hazzard

Good luck as you continue your quest. I remember a thread that someone asked could it be done without buying a single car, and they got the same conclusion you have. You must only buy 2 cars, and the rest you can win. This is an interesting situation, I will check back soon to see how things are going. Later!! :burnout:

Not to sound out of place.... but doesn't setting these extreme goals kill the FUN of playing a videogame? It sounds more like goals going into Skip Barber school than time spent in front of the television. But hell, if you do it, thats something.

Road, are you English? :lol:

Only the English are nutty enough to attempt something like this!

Regardless the very best of luck to you! :D

Just when i start to give up on the human race another supremely daft endeavor starts up and i think to myself, what a wonderful world!

:thumbsup:

:lol: Will the you get any sleep in trying to complete the game in the shortest possible time :clock:?

Careful not to have a fit or anything if you play 24/7 :weird:

Very nice!

I as well, have been attempting a similar game. Not quite with the effort you have though. Take a look at your PM, I forwarded a link to my compendium of notes, blow by blow of the game (77+%). (Edit: my mistake, check your e-mail) (edit #2: can't e-mail you, oh well).

For a bit of heads up, I was able to do the silver arrow races in a Kompressor.

Best of luck, welcome aboard, and it's good to have another very knowledgeable person on the forum.

AO

Originally posted by Nachtjager
Not to sound out of place.... but doesn't setting these extreme goals kill the FUN of playing a videogame? It sounds more like goals going into Skip Barber school than time spent in front of the television. But hell, if you do it, thats something.
Well, I kind of thought this at first, too. But he's obviously enjoying the pursuit of perfection, according to the rules he's set for himself. That's cool to me.

We all set our own rules. Mine have changed throughout the game. Originally, I was trying to do it without buying any more cars than I had to, but that led to blowouts like running the Clio racer in the Beginner MR. That wasn't fun to me. Now, instead, my rule has changed. Now I won't use a car that I can put on the pole by more than 2 seconds. And if I have the pole by more than a second, I start from the back of the pack. It's just the way I enjoy it.

More power to you, Hazzard! I'm glad to see it being done without artificial means. Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for all of the encouraging posts, there is little doubt I'll be needing it...

I just wanted to comment on a couple of things before I have to get going again (I just scheduled a hardcore exam for which I MUST study on the 5th of Aug)...

As far as the "fun" thing goes, I can honestly say that this pursuit is, in hindsight, a blast. Don't get me wrong.. I can't tell you in words how frustrating it can be to race a 2 hr endurance, only to NOT get the car you want. I guess what makes it enjoyable is knowing how hard I had to work to achieve my goals. Granted, doing things like running an Escudo in the Beginner/4WD is a bit of an overmatch, but I enjoy finding out by how much I can kill the competition (the game within the game).

As far as THIS PARTICULAR saved game goes, I feel like I've earned the right to enter a vehicle that "outclasses" the field by paying my dues at the license center. Legitimately getting all golds should entitle one to more than just a whetted skill set and numb thumbs... Keep in mind that one of my major priorities is to use the fewest vehicles possible, so outclassing my opponents is a negligible and positive side-effect.

BTW, slip... I'm Foreign-Blooded, American-Hearted! We Yanks can be quite quirky too! ;]

I think I also needed to mention/clarify some issues regarding what I wanted from my "Perfect" game...

If it was unclear in the first post, I wanted 100% wins, with no repeat races. Also, if "shortest amount of time" was implied, It would apply to Sim Mode days (not real life (so I am getting a little sleep, alexy2k... when I'm to tired to think about racing)).

The biggest problems for me ahead are: How much money to spend for upgrades? This, I imagine, will require A HECK OF A LOT of test-runs in many different situations. Before racing the Professional/Vitz Race, I spent a good 3 days trying a bunch of upgrade combos, only to give in to frustration and spend 77000 credits on the "Oinkmobile" (doesn't that pink one look like a little piggy?)!!! Judging by my margins of victory for those races, I know I could've saved money somewhere... The same can be said for my Spoon CIVIC (which I used in the Type-R Meeting races), but I think I spent my money wiser there.

Your posts are great, thanks for all the input!

Hazzard

After studying for that dang test for nearly a month, I didn't get much GT3 playtime in, but I did get a lot of testing (non-saved driving) done, and here's what I found...

As per Der Alta's suggestion, I tried the SLK Kompressor for the Silver Arrow races (Beginner and Amateur), and found that it could win handily with the right upgrades. I also found that the SLK could win the Spider & Roadster races (Beginner and Professional). This was a very welcome surprise, as I was originally intending to use the Griffith 500 to win the S&R.

Using the SLK for the S&R has 2 benefits (as opposed to using the Griffith 500):
- it allows me to use one less car from my garage to complete the game (one of my "perfect game" goals). Since I MUST purchase a Mercedes (for the Silver Arrow races), It may as well be one I can use in multiple races (the SLK).
- it allows for me to use the Tuscan Challenge to acquire the TVR Speed 12, instead of the Griffith 500. The Speed 12 is a much more powerful vehicle, and cannot be purchased. The only other race that offers the Speed 12 is the Polyphony Digital Cup, which I used to acquire the F094/S (after racing the final track about 10 times!!!).

I tried using the Elise 190 to win the S&R, but just couldn't get myself to beat out the Griffith 500 and Motor Sport Elise, even when fully loaded. Maybe I needed more time, but I figured that using the SLK would be more manageable, while still complying with my goals.

So here's the tuning on my SLK, with total cost. Remember, one of my goals was to spend as little money as possible, so I didn't want to overdo the upgrades...

SLK 230 Kompressor (-55310)
+ Suspension/Sports (-3200)
+ Sports Brakes (-4700)
+ Muffler & Air Cleaner/Racing (-4800)
+ Racing Chip (-1500)
+ Port Polish (-5500)
+ Clutch/Triple Plate (-4700)
+ Flywheel/Racing (-1050)
+ Driveshaft/Carbon (-3000)
+ Racing Tires/Super-Slick (-10500)
+ Lightweight/Stage 1 (-1200)
Total cr spent: 137960

This car is tuned to win:
Beginner/Spider & Roadster
Professoinal/Spider & Roadster
Beginner/Silver Arrow
Amateur/Silver Arrow

The most difficult race of all these for me was Professional/Spider & Roadster: 10 LAPS @ Grand Valley. My margin of victory for this one was less than 1 second (vs the Griffith 500). There are very few places to "cheat" on this course, and the Griffith 500 stretched a lead as wide as 12 seconds before it had to pit after 5 laps. Using super slicks prevents the need for the SLK to pit, even at Cote d'Azur (a 15 lap run).

I just finished the Professional/Spider & Roadster and Amateur/Legend of Silver Arrow races, and I'm about to race the Beginner league races for them...

So, on day 147, here are my numbers:

Cr: 1978040
Complete: 56.8%
Prize Total: 2,296,500
Wins: 131
Races: 131
Win Ratio: 100%
Licenses Acquired: S,R [48,0,0]
Cars Owned: 48
Total Mileage: 2584.9
Tatal Car Value: 19,444,500
Bonus Cars Acquired: 47
Trophies Acquired: 274

After this, I'll be working on the Tuscan Challenge, with the Speed 6. I think I might be able to win it with an off-the-shelf version + tires + oil. Once that is done, I plan on never purchasing another car to complete the game.

OK, I'll keep you up on my progress.

Have a great drive,

Hazzard

oh shoot... forgot to mention...

THANKS to Der Alta for your suggestion, that was a great one! Not only do I use fewer vehicles to finish the game, but I also save a crapload from the car price!

Have a great drive, everyone!

Hazzard

SLK 230 Kompressor (-55310)
+ Suspension/Sports (-3200)
+ Sports Brakes (-4700)
+ Muffler & Air Cleaner/Racing (-4800)
+ Racing Chip (-1500)
+ Port Polish (-5500)
+ Clutch/Triple Plate (-4700)
+ Flywheel/Racing (-1050)
+ Driveshaft/Carbon (-3000)

** + Turbo Kit/Stage 3 (-42500

+ Racing Tires/Super-Slick (-10500)
+ Lightweight/Stage 1 (-1200)
Total cr spent: 137960

I had previously omitted the upgrade of the Turbo Kit 3. The total cost figure of 137960 is still correct.

I just finished the Beginner league races for the Silver Arrow and Spider & Roadster. I think I'm gonna test the Tuscan Speed Six again.

Have a great drive!

Hazzard

I hope you are successful in your journey. I am probably doing the total opposite of you by buying ALL the cars I want in real life, racing every single race over and over again (mostly with the rubberband escudo super speedway endurance race), and spending money like...well something. My "Perfect Game" will be to make the %100 mark and tune up all my cars.

Good luck dood, I am personally aiming for nothing but 100%, it's amazing how good some of you people are at this game :)

My goals for GT3 are almost completed.

- Finished the game
- Nearly got 200 cars
- Only have to get all the S Licence gold

After that, i may try to improve my 1/4 Mile times.

Back