Worldwide Economy Cars Super Xtreme Cup Challenge!

• Thread starter Leonidae
  • 3 comments

Leonidae

(Banned)
GTP_Leonidae_MFT
In this Huge and Fun challenge I will drive the most underestimated cars in the world. Cars, that are often seen and ignored, often even hated by men in their white vans. And yet, most of worlds cars consist of these little runabouts, driven by single couples, youngsters, scrooges, environmentalists and busy mothers. They're small, nimble, don't eat too much and insurances don't strain the bank account too much either.

This challenge is..

Leonidae's Worldwide Economy Cars Super Xtreme Cup Challenge!

This is simple. I'll drive every possible new petrol/diesel burning automatic/manual econobox in the game. Restrictions are following:

-No forced induction.
-N2 tyres.
-No aids
-No wing.
-No modifications
-Oil change.
-1500cc maximum displacement.

Test track is Autumn Ring, and you'll see any kind of car from Ford Ka to Yaris RS. Car specifications will also be mentioned before and after oilchange. Short test review will be done as well.
As the Challenge ends, the winning car will be modified to the best possible specifications and put on display into my garage. There might be few surprises, since most of us probably has totally ignoredd the econoboxes and went for the big guns as soon as possible.

Please, be patient because these might take some time. I'll put the first ones up as soon as possible. Comments and suggestions are welcome, but don't suggest using used cars, since this challenge is for new cars only.

And here it starts..

----------------------------------

Car: Opel Corsa Comfort 1.4 '01
Displacement: 1389cc
Type: L4 DOHC
Power:88bhp ( 94bhp after oil change[+6bhp] )
Torque: 125nm (132nm after oil change [+7nm])
Weight: 998kg

Driving impressions: This car is faster than I originally expected. the engine can't be described rev-happy, but it has sufficient power for daily driving. Best area of the engine is between 3700-6000rpms. Under / over that the engine feels lazy and strained. Understeer in corners wasn't too bad, and car responded well to lift-off and tapping the brake. Smashing the brake down was followed by locking wheels and understeering. Proper tyres and some engine tuning will turen this into a very fun car.

Laptime: 1'48.742

---------------------------------------------------------------

Car: Volkswagen Lupo 1.4 '02
Displacement: 1390cc
Power: 98bhp ( 105bhp after oil change[+7bhp])
Torque: 126nm ( 133nm after oil change[+7nm])
Weight: 933kg

Driving impressions:This small car was a pleasant surprise. Engine was rev-happy, and had both torque and power quite high in the powerband. It's also pretty light and nimble. Lupo actually didn't understeer in the actual meaning of the word. It just went bit wider, but maintained traction and turned. This car is very stabile and accelerates well, and turns like it would be running on rails. With small amount of tuning and better tyres this car could give a shock to many bigger cars.

Laptime: 1'46.919

----------------------------------------------------------------

Car: Audi A2 1.4 '02
Displacement:1390cc
Type:-
Power: 73bhp ( 78bhp after oil change[+5bhp])
Torque: 126nm ( 132nm after oil change[+6nm])
Weight: 920kg

Driving impressions: When I saw this cars power/torque figures, I realized that this must be the second dieselpowered car in GT4. A2 is Audi's hypermini, and a very economical one at that. It's also light, tipping scales to 920kg. It also handled superbly, being stabile and eager to turn even with these less grippy N2's. It has plenty of torque ( about as much as Lupo had) but the power was way lower. This and the lazy nature of the engine were felt in the laptime, despite the good handling and lightness. Tuning could possibly save it.

Laptime: 1'49.177

----------------------------------------------------------------

Car: Ford Ka '01
Displacement: 1297cc
Type: L4 OHV
Power: 59bhp ( 65bhp after oil change[+6bhp])
Torque: 104nm ( 110nm after oil change[+6nm])
Weight: 965kg

Driving impressions:*twitch* Oh dear.. It handles decently for a vacuum cleaner.. The resemblance is strong.. But why on earth did Ford have urge to spoil modern-looking car with ancient OHV-engine? WHY?! I want my torque and horsepower served together! In this car, they're in the opposite ends of the powerband.. For Pete's sake, get your act together, Ford..

Laptime: 1'54.283

And there's many more to come, these were mere the European ones..

and now to the first japanese ones!

--------------------------------------------------------------

Car: Nissan MICRA/MARCH '03
Displacement: 1240cc
Power: 88bhp ( 94bhp after oil change[+6bhp])
Torque: 120nm ( 144nm after oil change[+24nm])
Weight: 900kg

Driving impressions:This car was a pleasant surprise after dreadful Ford. I didn't expect too much from the tiny 1.2l engine, but I was gobsmacked when I noticed that it had biggest torque figures this far! Power wasn't too bad either, and this far this car is also lightest of the lot. Cornering was very neutra, and with some guidance from the brake pedal, Micra turned pretty well. Shifting gears was pleasantly quick too, and the tiny engine kept pulling strong. Definitely one of the black horses, since it pulled fastest laptime this far. Tiny engine that could indeed!

Laptime: 1'46.223

----------------------------------------------------------

Car: Nissan Cube EX CVT '02
Displacement: 1386cc
Power: 96bhp ( 103bhp after oil change[+6bhp])
Torque: 137nm ( 144nm after oil change[+7nm])
Weight: 1070kg

Driving impressions:I didn't expect much from this automatic lunchbox, and I wasn't disappointed either. CVT my arse, it was normal 4-ratio automatic. Handling was decent, weight also helped and hindered the cornering. biggest disappointment right after Fix Or Repair Daily.

Laptime:1'51.372

--------------------------------------------------------------

Car:Mitsubishi Colt Sport X '02
Displacement: 1468cc
Power: 96bhp ( 104bhp after oil change[+8bhp])
Torque: 132nm ( 139nm after oil change[+7nm])
Weight: 1030kg

Driving impressions:Now this was a proper car with a proper CVT. I have to say, that it felt odd to see the car accelerating without any shifting. the revs stayed at 5800 and it just kept going with no problems whatsoever. Car turned well despite being heavier than most competitors, and I believe that the CVT helped as well. But wy on earth did they send us a pink one?

Laptime: 1'27.215

A purely excellent idea Leo! I can't wait to see how this ends up! Will you also be using performance versions of econoboxes? (ex. lupo GTi) Either way this is a lovely idea as I have also had a few experiences in econobox racing. Using older econoboxes may also prove to be interesting as there are a lot of older econo-sleepers. Good luck and I can't wait for an update! 👍 +rep (for such an original idea)

peace,
eg6_dude

I'll be using the ones that can be purchased from the dealership. and if the performance model fits within the limits, i'll use it. I have to exclude Yaris/Vitz RS turbo though, it would destroy everything else.

Latest Posts

Back