Worst Sounding Cars in GT6

That's because you really need an extra sound source for Diesels: the combustion noise (auto-ignition) radiating from the block. You're lucky if games model the intake and exhaust separately, externally at least, never mind something that's classically ignored (because it's usually relatively quiet in spark-ignition engines). In this case, you could get away with lumping it with the mechanical noise of the engine (like you can with spark ignition), but that mechanical sound only really changes with engine speed, and only slightly with the torque it's generating - whereas the combustion noise literally follows your right foot. So you really need four sources: mechanical, combustion, intake and exhaust.

It's not that difficult to record it all in action, but mapping all four sources (or more if you're being extra fancy and recording chassis-borne engine noise for internal views) in the right way in-game is a pain, especially if it's difficult to isolate the individual sources from each other in the recordings. That's because all four sources have different dependencies on "throttle" position and rpm.

The other way it can be done is to increase the variation in throttle position recordings; so instead of just on and off throttle recordings, which seem to suffice most of the time, you'd have to introduce several part-throttle recordings to blend between. That might only be necessary for interiors, but separate interior recordings requires more memory or less quality for a given system.

If you were modeling the engine (i.e. a "simulation"), the four sources can be generated separately and the controls can be physically modeled also. It's harder to do it that way, though, especially when it comes to "mixing" the resulting sources in a spatially believable way, but once that work's been done, you'd have a very powerful tool indeed.

You should check out RFactor R15/R18 on YouTube I'm pretty sure they nailed|Almost the sound.

Last edited:
@TheKitten, the sounds from GTR2/RFactor seem to be taken from onboard videos. some of them are very well made, but ive never found a good mod for the R18. that video has the best sound samples for the car, although noboby has used that video yet. i love these diesels, especially at low rpm.

@TheKitten, the sounds from GTR2/RFactor seem to be taken from onboard videos. some of them are very well made, but ive never found a good mod for the R18. that video has the best sound samples for the car, although noboby has used that video yet. i love these diesels, especially at low rpm.

That's what I think to. But the sounds are clean though :embarrassed:

You should check out RFactor R15/R18 on YouTube I'm pretty sure they nailed|Almost the sound.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIIUrYEGH5I

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3nRDnDIt8v0
Good God, no. I would have said, even without watching the videos, that rFactor "mods" typically only sound like recordings. I mean, that's to be expected, but those videos don't even have the Diesel "clack", due to the combustion noise escaping the block, that I just went on (and on) about.

So it turns out I was wrong: it isn't easy to get recordings to contain all the right information; all I can hear is exhaust and then intake at "high" rpm.

Good God, no. I would have said, even without watching the videos, that rFactor "mods" typically only sound like recordings. I mean, that's to be expected, but those videos don't even have the Diesel "clack", due to the combustion noise escaping the block, that I just went on (and on) about.

So it turns out I was wrong: it isn't easy to get recordings to contain all the right information; all I can hear is exhaust and then intake at "high" rpm.

Well atleast its better then GT6...

Lexus IS-F Racing Concept (it sounded exactly the same in GT5 as well, if you are not aware). This has got to be one of the worst sounding cars in all of them of GT6 (much worse than the KTM X-Bow even)! I sounds exactly like a lawnmower! It is an absolutely horrible sound. Simply image an off-road kart/buggy that is being run off an old vacuum cleaner that it driving the wheels that has been thrashed all of it's life and sounds absolutely battered! That would be an absolutely horrible sound wouldn't it? Now that describes the sound of the Lexus IS-F Racing Concept.

Lexus IS-F Racing Concept (it sounded exactly the same in GT5 as well, if you are not aware). This has got to be one of the worst sounding cars in all of them of GT6 (much worse than the KTM X-Bow even)! I sounds exactly like a lawnmower! It is an absolutely horrible sound. Simply image an off-road kart/buggy that is being run off an old vacuum cleaner that it driving the wheels that has been thrashed all of it's life and sounds absolutely battered! That would be an absolutely horrible sound wouldn't it? Now that describes the sound of the Lexus IS-F Racing Concept.
It sounds exactly the same as GT5 2.06 (I think). Before that it sounded like most of the '60s muscle cars in the game.

Not the greatest of footage, but comparing gran turismo's version of the Toyota which is no more than a mild hum against the real life footage, you can see there's alot of work to be done.

Again with the Aventador well, I'll just leave you all with this..

The M3 07 and 04. Sounds like a robot
The 07 sounds like the real thing, but it is lacking in low frequencies which makes it seem high pitched in comparison. Why they changed the sound of the straight six engined '04 model to be the same I'll never know, even using a slightly tweaked sound from the 135i/M Coupe/M4/CSL would've been a lot better...

The 07 sounds like the real thing, but it is lacking in low frequencies which makes it seem high pitched in comparison. Why they changed the sound of the straight six engined '04 model to be the same I'll never know, even using a slightly tweaked sound from the 135i/M Coupe/M4/CSL would've been a lot better...
It's all down to the "engine" samples; they are the mechanical noises the engine makes, which are biased to higher frequencies. The exhaust isn't too bad, but the prominent sound on both cars is that of their intakes (well the E46 has a lot of dry rasp that is actually louder than the exhaust note).

The intakes are configured in a way that accentuates the primary (ignition) frequency, which is actually sub-bass up until about 7 000 rpm (for a four stroke; anything below 2 000 rpm is technically infra-sound). Nice chart here.

GT has never had intake sound.

Last edited:
It might be me but the 04 sounds the same as the 07

I second the Commodore. Even the little blurb says 'Feel the thunderous V8' or something and it still sounds NOTHING like one, even on Sports exhaust you have to keep the revs low to hear any hint of V8 growl. Apart from the racing exhaust on certain V8 cars like the Saleen S7, Spyker C8, Isuzu 4200R, '69 Camaro, I generally keep the stock exhausts on most V8 cars.

Actually, the V8 Jaguars sound like fart cans too. And the exhaust mods just sound like hoovers.

The Audi S1 I was disappointed in as a huge fan of the cars, no savage metallic howl, just a fairly generic sound. The '82 quattro's stock has the proper 5-cylinder thrum, why couldnt they have turned it up for the S1s?

And thanks for putting up the videos of the Sauber Mercs! I've seen the C11 race and it sounds NOTHING like that horrible buzzing mess. Saves me wasting a few million on it.

Back