Worth it to buy GT1?

I own GT2 and 3. I've played GT3 a lot (a few times but never past like 50-60% before). I've played GT2 some, but not too much (I'd say maybe 10% of the entire game). What are your opinions on purchasing the original? Is it worth it... considering it's only $15? Is there enough unique gameplay separate from GT2 and 3 to merit buying it? Are the graphics, sounds, and controls too antiquated to go backwards in the series that far? Just asking opinions. Thanks for your time.

Actually. the graphics in GT are better than the graphics of GT2.
I personally think the car physics are difficult to come to grips with. I have finished the game, save one endurance race ( SSR 11 (reverse). I also haven't finished the Arcade mode. You cannot use any car from your garage in arcade mode. You MUST use the arcade cars.
It is considerably shorter than GT2. However, the lisence process is more difficult, due to poor car physics.
But if you can master GT, you will be able to easily beat any of the following GT games from a driving standpoint.
If you are dedicated to the series, yeah go ahead and get it. For the sake of continuity.
You might consider trying to rent it first to see if you want to have it in your collection.
I almost never break my copy out. I do still enjoy GT2. In fact, I find it almost more challenging and enjoyable than GT3.
I hope that GT4 incorporates the type restrictions that exist in GT3, with the HP restrictions that exist in GT2.

Originally posted by Gil
I also haven't finished the Arcade mode. You cannot use any car from your garage in arcade mode. You MUST use the arcade cars.
It is considerably shorter than GT2. However, the lisence process is more difficult, due to poor car physics.
But if you can master GT, you will be able to easily beat any of the following GT games from a driving standpoint.

For Arcade Mode on GT3 I always just used the arcade cars for that mode anyway. I'm paranoid of too much mileage on my garage cars to compete with them in those pointless races. So using Arcade cars in GT in Arcade Mode wouldn't be a problem for me.

As for the licenses! Grrr! I like it went they're challenging and everything, but damn! You have to constantly repeat the harder ones until your brain can think of nothing else. GT2's licenses I remember were much hard for me than GT3's. If GT's tests are harder that GT2's! I'd never finish the game!

Off-topic sorta, but I noticed (at least to me) that GTA: Vice City's graphics seemed a bit off from GTA3's. Maybe the game writers sacrificed a little graphics for both GTA:VC and GT2 from their predecessors to add more features. You gotta admit, over 500 cars is awesome (especially considering it's just PSOne)!... Just wish the garage could've held them all. :(

GT2's grand total number of cars is actually 600, including some Honda cars you can access only by Game Shark. As for GT1, it may not have much cars but the game-play is way better than GT2...

Well, I'd advise you finish GT2 before going back to GT1. But if you really enjoyed GT2 after playing GT3, then you'll like playing GT1.

GT1 has a far better Arcade mode than GT2. You have to use the Arcade cars, and by winning all the races in Difficult, you unlock more tracks and manufacturers. And the AI gives you a lot more competition (it plays dirty!) than you'll find in the other iterations of the game.

It's also not as easy as GT2 to build a lot of credits. Prize cars don't sell for nearly as much (try 35,000 credits!) so you really have to work hard to build a 100-car garage.

If you find it cheaply, then GT1 is still well worth it. If you can borrow it from someone who doesn't play it anymore, go ahead. It's still a fun game...the original can't be knocked down.

Originally posted by takumi64
It doesn't matter how many cars you have in your garage. What's important is having a car you can win races with.

I guess you're right, but I like the idea of having all the cars at once. I like testing and exploring every aspect of the game. It feels like I don't do 100% of the game without acquiring all the cars.

It's a challenging game well worth getting. It has one feature I espescially liked. You are able to save a cars settings for each individuall track. It comes in handy in like the normal car series where you have to adjust your settings from the Autumn Ring to the High Speed ring, you just load your settings. You'll also find that you may like a car that is in both the games better in GT-1. I like the 7 speed Castrol Supra in GT-1 better than the 6 speed in GT-2( why? because it's a 7 speed lol) and I like the Cerbera LM just a tad more in GT-1 than in GT-2. I like gil have completed the game except for that SS R-11(reverse) endurance race. You also have to qualify( in endurance races you qualify with SS tires and use your other tires for the race)

Originally posted by cerbera
You are able to save a cars settings for each individuall track. It comes in handy in like the normal car series where you have to adjust your settings from the Autumn Ring to the High Speed ring, you just load your settings.
Obviously, cerbera meant the Hard-tuned series, not the Normal.

The Normal is a settings-free zone. :)

I often in my notes refer to Hard-tuned as the Abnormal series, however. :)

And, indeed, it could be said that the cars in the Hard-Tuned series are "normal" in that they cannot be race-modified.

I know the original GT1 fans will hate me for this comment, but I think of GT1 as an "expansion pack" for GT2. (Although the two games don't interact.)

Well, as far as I'm concerned, [size=+1]GT2[/size] is just a prototype of a game, not really a game...

Most of the car restrictions of GT1 should have been placed into GT2. I thought about it the other day, but with almost 600 cars, it would have been difficult to draw up the lines between one class of car and another. It would have been rather arbitrary to define a SuperTouring car from a Luxury Car; a Kei from a Compact.

At least GT1 laid down the law for Small Cars, Normal, US/UK/Japan, etc.

Well, you get the SSR11, the Chaser LM, some cars get at lot more power.

You don't just win a 500,000cr after one race and fully-mod a car. You really have to earn your credits and take time to mod a car.

Yes, I know GT1 is not an expansion pack to GT2. Don't get me wrong.

I, too, play [size=+1]GT1[/size] on a PS2.

I tried some of the extra graphical options, and all it seemed to do was make popup more noticeable.

Okay, I shouldn't really have said "all it seemed to do"; graphics did look somewhat crisper, but not significantly so, and a side-effect did seem to be that popup was more noticeable. E.g. at DFRW trees popped up much more noticeably as you drove down the main straight.

God dangit, GT1's only good for AMAZING drifts. And I mean AMAZING. Watch the replays of you almost spinning out while taking a turn, and VOILA a wicked drift!

I wouldn't get GT1. I tried going back a few ago, I tried to get all the original GT series games of eBay as a collection :rolleyes: but after playing GT1 for 5 minutes I sold it the next day. To me it was impossible to go back to GT1 from GT3.

Just my advice, :)

I bought GT1 today second hand for £4. I own GT2, GT3 and GTconcept, but i think that GT1 is just as good as 2. If you enjoy starting of the game and upgrading your first skip on wheels then i do recommend buying GT1. It's great fun, I love it already and it's the original Gran Turismo, so i had to have the whole collection :)

Back