Would Kylo Ren be a Gran Turismo Sport fan?

• Thread starter SlipZtrEm
  • 12 comments

SlipZtrEm

can't kick this feeling
Staff Emeritus
Canada
Toronto
NewAesthetic
SlipZtrEm
upload_2017-12-21_21-26-7.png

First, I know what you're thinking. Someone needs to take the egg nog away from Kyle.

But hear me out.

Star Wars is a huge cultural phenomenon. Gran Turismo is too — not to the same level mind, but still, it has a certain level of brand recognition. The Last Jedi lightsabered its way into theatres recently, and without getting into spoiler territory, it's a divisive entry in a long-running franchise. It takes a lot of established tropes from a celebrated series, and turns them on their head.

Do you see where this is going?

There's an important line from the The Last Jedi's most recent trailer. Want to guess?

"Let the past die. Kill it, if you have to."

Meanwhile, a few months earlier, Gran Turismo fans were treated to a decidedly different tone in a GT Sport trailer than what had come before. The E3 trailer was more traditional, but this one — this was something new:

"The game became less about competition, and more about collecting cars. Today we say: we want change. Let's burn it to the ground."

Despite being galaxies apart, the sentiment is the same between the two. Kylo's line is felt throughout the movie, much like Sport's trailer informed the final game, at least until today's GT League update.

Speaking of GT League — not to mention the stated plans of adding the traditional variety of cars — does it represent an about-face after that Sport trailer? Is GT Sport softening its stance on abandoning the past? The ultra-nostalgic GT2 menu music certainly suggests as much.

On the eve of the franchise's 20th anniversary, it's a question worth exploring. Some of us have been playing GT since the beginning, but is that attachment obscuring a clear view of the future? Or, to take a page from Star Wars: instead of it being an either-or situation (Light/Dark side), is there a balance to be had?

See the first line! :P

I find it fascinating that two of the biggest franchises in their respective entertainment sectors both eschew simple tribute to the past. Ideally, I'd like to see a conversation about that.

Personally, while I love the classic GT approach of automotive escapism (and that's probably why I enjoy FM7), I respect the dedication to the new direction PD showed with GT Sport leading up to launch. The game has been designed around funnelling players online, and teaching them to race there (relatively) cleanly. It's a big change, but I find it works in a whole new way.

Rather strangely, GT has now become more casual to me. I don't consider the C-word a dirty one, but I know some out there do. But I no longer have to really grind to get the cars I want, and the DR/SR setup means I'm usually paired off against similarly-skilled drivers. I don't win very often, but more often than not, I at least get a close fight out of it. That's its own fun — not better or worse than crafting my ultimate fantasy garage with supercars and custom projects, just different.

I can actually make another Star Wars comparison, too: Battlefront. That's one of the ultimate pick-up-and-play games for me this year. It's a shame EA instituted the awful lootbox crap, because underneath, it's a fun game. It's simple to explain to a newbie, easy to approach, yet hard to master. GT hits those same notes IMO.

If the whole "Let the past die" question had been asked earlier, then the majority answer would have been yes. Now with the about-face in the new update, it calls into question the exact direction of where GTS is heading.

If PD doesn't fully nail down the focus on competitive online and eSports that they were so adamant about at launch, then they risk slipping back into their old CARPG ways which came to a jumbled head on the PS3 with no clear path whatsoever.

See the first line! :P

I gave it a 50/50 of speaking of yourself (couldn't remember if that was your name) or you mispelling Kylo cause you're crazy drinking eggnog.

I find it fascinating that two of the biggest franchises in their respective entertainment sectors both eschew simple tribute to the past. Ideally, I'd like to see a conversation about that.

Personally, while I love the classic GT approach of automotive escapism (and that's probably why I enjoy FM7), I respect the dedication to the new direction PD showed with GT Sport leading up to launch. The game has been designed around funnelling players online, and teaching them to race there (relatively) cleanly. It's a big change, but I find it works in a whole new way.

Rather strangely, GT has now become more casual to me. I don't consider the C-word a dirty one, but I know some out there do. But I no longer have to really grind to get the cars I want, and the DR/SR setup means I'm usually paired off against similarly-skilled drivers. I don't win very often, but more often than not, I at least get a close fight out of it. That's its own fun — not better or worse than crafting my ultimate fantasy garage with supercars and custom projects, just different.

I can actually make another Star Wars comparison, too: Battlefront. That's one of the ultimate pick-up-and-play games for me this year. It's a shame EA instituted the awful lootbox crap, because underneath, it's a fun game. It's simple to explain to a newbie, easy to approach, yet hard to master. GT hits those same notes IMO.

This makes more sense. :D

I think it did have parallels. But the Samba Bus says otherwise... :lol:
I loved the historical cars in the previous GTs because that was what those games were all about. Anyway, it's not a 1 steo forward 2 steps back thing... More like a leap forward and a step back.

Why is this even a thread?, like, what was the thought process that lead to this? :lol:

No, because Kylo is a whiny 🤬🤬

Last edited by a moderator:
The game became less about competition, and more about collecting cars. Today we say: we want change. Let's burn it to the ground
If PD goes from 1200 + cars and down to 500, i would say that is a big step for Kazunori Yamauchi :embarrassed: :lol: and it's very early in GT Sport's lifespan and we don't know if GT League was a already planned feature or something they just had to do to attract more gamers to GT S, but i think giving us single players something to do in GT Sport is a good thing, maybe GT Sport would have survived without single player, but with single player content, the game have even bigger chance to survive.

But I no longer have to really grind to get the cars I want

If you want to grind, sell (i mean delete) all your reward cars and start buying them instead, i'm doing that, or else i would not have the ability or the pleasure to buy my own cars in GT S and i would be stuck on 20 mill for as long as i play it :).

Last edited:
Back