WRC 8 Iconic Cars Trailer Kicks Off Early Access

Be aware that many of these are not in the base game. Pre-orders, deluxe and collectors edition are needed. Can be bought later as DLC though.

#NOSTEAMNOBUY

I wasn't ever overjoyed about being forced to adopt Steam all those years ago, as I was quite happy to buy the game dics.

So - if BigBen or KT Games thinks, that I'm going to add another digital software distribution software to my PC, just so I can buy WRC 8 - then they are sadly mistaken!

On principle I'm also not buying Moto GP now either. I can buy on Steam in one year? Get real! I'd rather see KT Games go bankrupt, that's how peeved I am at this news. They so obviously do not need my investment lol, and guess what, they ain't getting it.

#NOSTEAMNOBUY

I wasn't ever overjoyed about being forced to adopt Steam all those years ago, as I was quite happy to buy the game dics.

So - if BigBen or KT Games thinks, that I'm going to add another digital software distribution software to my PC, just so I can buy WRC 8 - then they are sadly mistaken!

On principle I'm also not buying Moto GP now either. I can buy on Steam in one year? Get real! I'd rather see KT Games go bankrupt, that's how peeved I am at this news. They so obviously do not need my investment lol, and guess what, they ain't getting it.

This whole epic game store thing is quite petty imo. I know it's an issue for another thread but seriously? You'd rather see them go bankrupt? That's pretty ridiculous. Ultimately it's you missing out not them.

This whole epic game store thing is quite petty imo. I know it's an issue for another thread but seriously? You'd rather see them go bankrupt? That's pretty ridiculous. Ultimately it's you missing out not them.
It's absolutely pathetic if you ask me. In fact it's on another level of patheticness even compared to the fanboy console wars. However you load the game, disc, Steam, Epic, Stream, you are getting the same game and same enjoyment. Real first world problem right there.

Last edited:
I don't care either way about the platform, but I think their product launch is looking a bit amateurish and uncoordinated. They don't even have a product page up on the Epic store, and aren't expecting to until release day.

It's absolutely pathetic if you ask me. In fact it's on another level of patheticness even compared to the fanboy console wars. However you load the game, disc, Steam, Epic, Stream, you are getting the same game and same enjoyment. Real first world problem right there.
There are pros and cons across the board, but the user experiences are hardly identical.

Steam has some features that Epic apparently doesn't have...not that it's a saintly service either. I think Epic's involvement with Tencent is a legitimate enough concern; there is a bit more to it than just being another storefront (I do not see similar complaints about GOG). Streaming is awful for my preferences and living situation, but to each their own.

Third-party exclusives aren't exactly a great thing for the industry (1st-/2nd-party exclusives or console-only/PC-only exclusives are more justified, IMO), and it's a shame to see PC gaming split over what amounts to little more than bits of software, as opposed to economies of hardware-specific development or physical distribution like with consoles. I don't have especially strong feelings about Steam versus Epic, but I'm glad I'm not invested into PC gaming so I can mostly watch from a distance.

I don't agree with @w_a_i_n's estimation of Bigben or Kylotonn -- the truth seems to be that Epic simply offers a better deal in these arrangements, and on behalf of developers/publishers it's about as simple as that -- but I can relate to where he's coming from. I already dislike Steam's DRM (in the cases when it's applied), and I dislike spreading my information around any more than necessary with service registrations.

Very coherent and neutral post @Wolfe. I will buy on Epic. Don't care who's selling it. I used to game on PC when the diskettes were my property so all this DRM stuff is new to me.

And I am not worried about privacy. Just by using Android/Windows/Apple/Facebook and all that other social crap your digital footprint is compromised for life. And I highly doubt that a Chinese investor is any less or more nefarious than Google itself.

As a platform EGS is pretty pathetic. But I'm here for WRC 8. The game is what's important to me. I despise Apple but if it was only available through them I would also buy it. #NoSteamNoBuy is equal to #YourProblemNotMine in my book.

Steam,Epic,Xbox,Playstation etc. What's the difference? They all want to know what you ate for breakfast but seeing it's Rally pull up a chair.

And I am not worried about privacy. Just by using Android/Windows/Apple/Facebook and all that other social crap your digital footprint is compromised for life. And I highly doubt that a Chinese investor is any less or more nefarious than Google itself.
In this context I was actually thinking more along the lines of limiting exposure to potential breaches, including credit card information.

In this context I was actually thinking more along the lines of limiting exposure to potential breaches, including credit card information.

And I've been exposed to only one of those in my entire life, and it was on...

PlayStation Network.

[Knocks on wood]

Good for the folks who want to fill their ssds with more DRM crap. Your call anyway. First steam, then uplay, then this then that now is epic. I mean you're very much mistaken if you think it's the user's loss instead of Kiloton's.

It is, to say the least, a curious thing to see those many that celebrate the transformation of the once only free platform, PC, into a full slaved to DRM one. Yeah it's indeed one reason for celebration. Oh well.

Stupidity aside, what actually concerns me of this franchise is no other thing that of course the physics. Will this be the first wrc game since the days of the ps2 I finally buy again?, regardless the epic store bad news which to me is of course another negative factor, I haven't seen much proof in all the videos around about kiloton finally doing their homework in the physics department, because if there's something all wrc tittles since the ps3/360 era share, then that gotta be their truly awful physics, regardless how good the stages may be.

There are pros and cons across the board, but the user experiences are hardly identical.

Steam has some features that Epic apparently doesn't have...not that it's a saintly service either. I think Epic's involvement with Tencent is a legitimate enough concern; there is a bit more to it than just being another storefront (I do not see similar complaints about GOG). Streaming is awful for my preferences and living situation, but to each their own.

Third-party exclusives aren't exactly a great thing for the industry (1st-/2nd-party exclusives or console-only/PC-only exclusives are more justified, IMO), and it's a shame to see PC gaming split over what amounts to little more than bits of software, as opposed to economies of hardware-specific development or physical distribution like with consoles. I don't have especially strong feelings about Steam versus Epic, but I'm glad I'm not invested into PC gaming so I can mostly watch from a distance.

I don't agree with @w_a_i_n's estimation of Bigben or Kylotonn -- the truth seems to be that Epic simply offers a better deal in these arrangements, and on behalf of developers/publishers it's about as simple as that -- but I can relate to where he's coming from. I already dislike Steam's DRM (in the cases when it's applied), and I dislike spreading my information around any more than necessary with service registrations.
The storefront may be different and there may be an extra bit of fluff but the experience of playing the game will be the same no matter how you do it. Sucks that your environment and infrastructure is not conducive to decent streaming but you'd be in the same boat if you had a terrible PC, so that's user specific and moot to my general point.

And you make decent points about privacy and DRM, however, my reply was in response to someone moaning that the game wasn't available on another storefront that has the same DRM and privacy issues. It would be nonsensical to use the privacy and DRM issue as an argument for such a stance however real they are. If a gamer is prepared to sell their soul to one storefront then I don't see the issue with having to use a second or third storefront to play a game.

It seems to me to be an invented problem, another way fanboy mentality has infiltrated gaming. It's sad and unnecessary.

Damn, why couldn't Codemasters use those kid friendly Martini Racing liveries.

WRC-8-Iconic-Cars-800x800.jpeg

Strong review from Eurogamer. Think it was the pc version as he mentions 60fps drops at times

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-04-wrc-8-review-a-new-pretender-to-the-driving-crown
I would have to agree with the EG review, the time taken off from WRC 7 has been well spent and it's an excellent title, and the handling is very solid, on gravel its a match for DR2.0 and on tarmac it's in my view better than DR2.0. The FFB on any surface is better than DR2.0's as well.

I find Eurogamer careful. I think WRC 8 blows Dirt 2 out of the water in terms of stages, career, force feedback and actual value for money. Which is something that should be really mentioned. This game comes packed with stuff while a few cars are left out as DLC, while DR2 is build completely around selling season passes and year passes and so on. I think Kylotonn should deserve a lot of praise here.

Last edited:
I find Eurogamer careful. I think WRC 8 blows Dirt 2 out of the water in terms of stages, career, force feedback and actual value for money. Which is something that should be really mentioned. This game comes packed with stuff while a few cars are left out as DLC, while DR2 is build completely around selling season passes and year passes and so on. I think Kylotonn should deserve a lot of praise here.

Yes indeed. This will hurt sales of their season pass for the 3rd n 4th seasons. I thought my deluxe version covered all that until I saw they wanted another £20. Won't be too long before it sees a discount I reckon.

In the meantime we've got an entirely new Rally game to play instead which seems much better value for money.

...Sucks that your environment and infrastructure is not conducive to decent streaming but you'd be in the same boat if you had a terrible PC, so that's user specific and moot to my general point.
I don't think it's regrettable in the least. :) I want nothing to do with streaming, which is part of the point -- the user/consumer experience is very different, from dreadful latency (Google is lying) to the complete surrender of the rights to play games offline, to keep them on a hard drive after storefront service has ended, or to resell or lend/borrow a physical copy. But that's another topic.

In short, I don't think it's a "first world problem" to decide how you want to play your games or where to spend your money on them. Going so far as to boycott the game...then yeah, it's his loss.

I don't think it's regrettable in the least. :) I want nothing to do with streaming, which is part of the point -- the user/consumer experience is very different, from dreadful latency (Google is lying) to the complete surrender of the rights to play games offline, to keep them on a hard drive after storefront service has ended, or to resell or lend/borrow a physical copy. But that's another topic.

In short, I don't think it's a "first world problem" to decide how you want to play your games or where to spend your money on them. Going so far as to boycott the game...then yeah, it's his loss.
Once again, the comment I was replying to was '#nosteamnobuy'. As I said, your concerns about DRM, privacy, end of service are all legitimate but have no bearing on an individual getting a monk on because it's available on one storefront but not another.

Exactly. The whole ordeal is absurd.

Back