Wreckfest Now Available on PlayStation 5 & Xbox Series

Terrific game. Enormous fun either single or multiplayer. Super competitive online, and be prepared for some rubbing. Had it and completed it on PS4 Pro, and took advantage of the free PSN and have completed it again on PS5.

Struggles in a few places to hold the 60fps, with stutter and screen tearing, mainly on turn ones and when using the mowers (tractors). But 90% of the time, it's solid.

The new Playgrounds circuit is a real hoot. The various mechanical contraptions and ramps geared to created untold damage to your vehicle are impressive.

If you haven't already, new or old gen, it's definitely worth checking out.

Terrific game. Enormous fun either single or multiplayer. Super competitive online, and be prepared for some rubbing. Had it and completed it on PS4 Pro, and took advantage of the free PSN and have completed it again on PS5.

Struggles in a few places to hold the 60fps, with stutter and screen tearing, mainly on turn ones and when using the mowers (tractors). But 90% of the time, it's solid.

The new Playgrounds circuit is a real hoot. The various mechanical contraptions and ramps geared to created untold damage to your vehicle are impressive.

If you haven't already, new or old gen, it's definitely worth checking out.
Can't wait to get a PS5 to play it on. I have a PS4 which I play it on and it plays great there so I can imagine how even better it plays on PS5.

Can't wait to get a PS5 to play it on. I have a PS4 which I play it on and it plays great there so I can imagine how even better it plays on PS5.

To be fair, it's more stable on a PS4 (Pro) running at 30fps, than the PS5 running at 60fps. I never saw a dropped frame or stutter on the 'Pro, whereas I have on the PS5 albeit very rarely. But, when it's solid, it's beautiful. Smoother, higher resolution, mud on vehicles, more detailed damage, and the haptic feedbak from the dual sense pad is amazing. When your vehicle is severely damaged, the triggers are unbearably hard to press.

I still run both versions (PS4 disc Deluxe Edition with all DLC) on my PS5, as I race online with friends who are only on PS4, and solo online on the PS5 version. Both single player campaigns are completed.

Anyone grumbling at the £9.99 upgrade, needs a head wobble. I'd much rather pay a tenner for a Wreckfest upgrade, than a free DiRT 5 upgrade! Or, it's free on PS+

Last edited:
I downloaded it the off the psn when it 1st came out and I have played it once. It was fun and I need to get back to it. It looks lovely on PS5 though

Disappointed that it’s not a free upgrade considering I paid full price and didn’t put much time into it.

Disappointed that it’s not a free upgrade considering I paid full price and didn’t put much time into it.

Don't worry about it, at the moment I consider it to be a downgrade. And graphically to me it looked only slightly better, not worth it at all for the FPS hit.

Anyone else noticed the car launch is different from the PS5 to PS4 version when using the controller... or is it just me with this? In PS4 version using manual without clutch first gear is preselected so you can just take off in first gear and there's no delay with your flat to the floor. The PS5 version starts in neutral so you have to wait until the last second to select first (it won't select at all until then), then hastily try and grab first, then there's a delay before you can take off. The PS5 version, when just manual is selected, is acting like the PS4 version manual with clutch option :confused:

Anyone else noticed the car launch is different from the PS5 to PS4 version when using the controller... or is it just me with this? In PS4 version using manual without clutch first gear is preselected so you can just take off in first gear and there's no delay with your flat to the floor. The PS5 version starts in neutral so you have to wait until the last second to select first (it won't select at all until then), then hastily try and grab first, then there's a delay before you can take off. The PS5 version, when just manual is selected, is acting like the PS4 version manual with clutch option :confused:

I think this is part of an update, it did this when I 'upgraded' to the new gen version on Xbox, but since I've gone back to the previous version it's still doing it, I find it slightly annoying but I suppose it makes you have to fight more as you can't really take off like you could.

I think this is part of an update, it did this when I 'upgraded' to the new gen version on Xbox, but since I've gone back to the previous version it's still doing it, I find it slightly annoying but I suppose it makes you have to fight more as you can't really take off like you could.
That's what I thought because on the PS4 version before the last update 1st gear wasn't preselected like it is now. I got caught out more times than I like to admit to forgetting to select 1st and being left at the start. :embarrassed: Thanks for confirming :cheers:.

I haven't tried cross play yet but if it remains different for the two versions it would be a huge advantage to the PS4 players off the line. I did open a private lobby with both games though and the take off mechanics were definitely different. Possibly a bug? It seems way too much like it's just using the 'manual with clutch' setting.

I have my original PS4 version and the PS5 PS+ free version so I can still play both and compare the two which is pretty handy. Gotta say it's pretty jarring going back to the PS4 version though. Now I know what people are on about when they play these games on decent PC's and then try the same game on a PS4.

That's what I thought because on the PS4 version before the last update 1st gear wasn't preselected like it is now. I got caught out more times than I like to admit to forgetting to select 1st and being left at the start. :embarrassed: Thanks for confirming :cheers:.

I haven't tried cross play yet but if it remains different for the two versions it would be a huge advantage to the PS4 players off the line. I did open a private lobby with both games though and the take off mechanics were definitely different. Possibly a bug? It seems way too much like it's just using the 'manual with clutch' setting.

I have my original PS4 version and the PS5 PS+ free version so I can still play both and compare the two which is pretty handy. Gotta say it's pretty jarring going back to the PS4 version though. Now I know what people are on about when they play these games on decent PC's and then try the same game on a PS4.

I'm finding that with all the driving games. I'm double dipping on many and there all much better on PC. I love consoles but it's true, PC is best, at least for driving games.

Last edited:
To be fair, it's more stable on a PS4 (Pro) running at 30fps, than the PS5 running at 60fps. I never saw a dropped frame or stutter on the 'Pro, whereas I have on the PS5 albeit very rarely. But, when it's solid, it's beautiful. Smoother, higher resolution, mud on vehicles, more detailed damage, and the haptic feedbak from the dual sense pad is amazing. When your vehicle is severely damaged, the triggers are unbearably hard to press.

I still run both versions (PS4 disc Deluxe Edition with all DLC) on my PS5, as I race online with friends who are only on PS4, and solo online on the PS5 version. Both single player campaigns are completed.

Anyone grumbling at the £9.99 upgrade, needs a head wobble. I'd much rather pay a tenner for a Wreckfest upgrade, than a free DiRT 5 upgrade! Or, it's free on PS+
I dont understand making the triggers harder to squeeze. None of the race cars i raced , had the gas pedal or brake pedal harder to press ever , if anything i found you lose brake pressure .

Last edited:
I dont understand making the triggers harder to squeeze. None of the race cars i raced , had the gas pedal or brake pedal harder to press ever , if anything i found you lose brake pressure .
What race cars are you talking about, as the ones I've experienced have had significantly less servo assistance (if any) than just about any road car.

What race cars are you talking about, as the ones I've experienced have had significantly less servo assistance (if any) than just about any road car.
the ones i actualy drove like one in my avatar. no gas pedal or brake pedal getting stiffer in any car that has mechanical lines . for a brake pedal to get harder to press in a line with brake fluid would require the line to be pinched . How many of the cars in Wreckfest has the real life counterpart with servo systems in them ?
Even then i dont recall watching many new gen car races where the driver reports they cant push down on the gas or brake pedals .

Of course i havnt watched every single car race since 2000's

the ones i actualy drove like one in my avatar. no gas pedal or brake pedal getting stiffer in any car that has mechanical lines . for a brake pedal to get harder to press in a line with brake fluid would require the line to be pinched . How many of the cars in Wreckfest has the real life counterpart with servo systems in them ?
Even then i dont recall watching many new gen car races where the driver reports they cant push down on the gas or brake pedals .

Of course i havnt watched every single car race since 2000's
Mine would run to Formula Ford's, Formula Renault, Radical SR3's, Clio V6 Cup, Clio Cup, and a load of different saloon and hot hatches prepped for race series.

Every single one had a significantly stiffer brake pedal than the road cars I've driven (and that lists long), it's also got nothing to do with lines being pinched! Lack of servos, upgraded ilnes and pumps and bigger calipers with more pots will do the job quite well enough.

It's also pretty much common knowledge that F1 cars run around the 95kgs pressure required at the pedal.

Oh and drivers do talk about it, and train specifically for it.

Your right about throttle pressure, but not in regards to the majority of racing brake systems.

Last edited:
Mine would run to Formula Ford's, Formula Renault, Radical SR3's, Clio V6 Cup, Clio Cup, and a load of different saloon and hot hatches prepped for race series.

Every single one had a significantly stiffer brake pedal than the road cars I've driven (and that lists long), it's also got nothing to do with lines being pinched! Lack of servos, upgraded ilnes and pumps and bigger calipers with more pots will do the job quite well enough.

It's also pretty much common knowledge that F1 cars run around the 95kgs pressure required at the pedal.

Oh and drivers do talk about it, and train specifically for it.

Your right about throttle pressure, but not in regards to the majority of racing brake systems.
I could only talk about what i had real use from . My 64 ford half ton with drums in the back were stiff as hell and its only thing i did not like with it . I felt like fred flinstone tryn to stop his car .

Do you like stiff brakes on a race car ?

I could only talk about what i had real use from . My 64 ford half ton with drums in the back were stiff as hell and its only thing i did not like with it . I felt like fred flinstone tryn to stop his car .

Do you like stiff brakes on a race car ?
They are part necessity, without the uprated parts you will never have a system that will survive heavy braking lap after lap without fading on the grippier rubber you find on most track cars, but also as you develop muscle memory with pressure rather than travel, so a shorter travel at the pedal with a strong consistent pressure required is far easier to be consistent with. Keep in mind that these system are heavy underfoot, but they are also far more effective (with the right tyre) that you would find on a road car under repeated stops.

It's ideal on track, but 100% sucks on the road, my father has a few Series Land Rovers that have either no or very ineffective brake servos and they are not much fun at all on the road (and certainly are not something you would take on a track).

They are part necessity, without the uprated parts you will never have a system that will survive heavy braking lap after lap without fading on the grippier rubber you find on most track cars, but also as you develop muscle memory with pressure rather than travel, so a shorter travel at the pedal with a strong consistent pressure required is far easier to be consistent with. Keep in mind that these system are heavy underfoot, but they are also far more effective (with the right tyre) that you would find on a road car under repeated stops.

It's ideal on track, but 100% sucks on the road, my father has a few Series Land Rovers that have either no or very ineffective brake servos and they are not much fun at all on the road (and certainly are not something you would take on a track).
That is interesting . I think where the confusion is here is my fault . I should have been more clear on the more you crash the stiffer the triggers get. 100 percent brakes need some pressure and thats how i hoped they would be used by games . what about the gas pedal on servo cars ? do they have adjustable pressure also ?

if wreckfest is just the pedal back pressure thats great . if it gets stiffer the more you crash im not sure thats great also haha .

if it gets stiffer the more you crash im not sure thats great also haha .
Yeah, I noticed this as well. It's also similar in Dirt 5. I was hoping that there'd be a progressive feel to the brake, but then when you crash the pedal just goes limp, as it would if you snapped a brake line or fitting. Perhaps it's trying to replicate the heaviness of the wheel dragging or something :confused:.

Hopefully the more sim orientated games can do a better job and create a more real feel of a brake pedal like load cell pedals do.

Last edited:
Yeah, I noticed this as well. It's also similar in Dirt 5. I was hoping that there'd be a progressive feel to the brake, but then when you crash the pedal just goes limp, as it would if you snapped a brake line or fitting. Perhaps it's trying to replicate the heaviness of the wheel dragging or something :confused:.

Hopefully the more sim orientated games can do a better job and create a more real feel of a brake pedal like load cell pedals do.

Is it reasonable to comment that these haptic controllers are still new and that may be a part of it? It would be expected, I think, for the use of this to improve as developers get more experienced with using it. In this early new gen period, developers may be taking "easier" options. A more nuanced approach should come over time, regardless of game type.

That is interesting . I think where the confusion is here is my fault . I should have been more clear on the more you crash the stiffer the triggers get. 100 percent brakes need some pressure and thats how i hoped they would be used by games . what about the gas pedal on servo cars ? do they have adjustable pressure also ?

if wreckfest is just the pedal back pressure thats great . if it gets stiffer the more you crash im not sure thats great also haha .
Getting heavier after you crash certainly is a 'game'element rather than anything accuirate.

Gas pedals are mainly connected to the throttle body via cable in older cars, so don't need servos, etc. Modern cars are primarily by wire (i.e. electronic) so any weight you feel is simply the return spring on the pedal itself.

Is it reasonable to comment that these haptic controllers are still new and that may be a part of it? It would be expected, I think, for the use of this to improve as developers get more experienced with using it. In this early new gen period, developers may be taking "easier" options. A more nuanced approach should come over time, regardless of game type.
Yes and I agree... partly. After trying it out on Astro's Playroom it showed a lot of what can be done, and sure, they'll get better and more accustomed to it but so far it's been disappointing. I would think that GT7 will probably have pretty good implementation by the time it comes out but the way it is now on some games I see no point in including at all as it just feels kinda wrong and less immersive.

For me personally, I'd rather the developers wait until they've got a decent handle on the haptics rather than just include something seemingly haphazardly just because it's there.

Back