• 15 comments

Blake

Premium
Australia
NSW, Australia
haswell00
Weekly Track Design Competition
Week 3

This week the challenge is to create a rally stage. It can be any sort of rally stage, on real roads or in real areas, or in imaginary areas. Since this is such an open challenge please include a brief description of the stage.

The challenge
[+] Create a rally stage

Rules
[+] You must give credit for using anyone elses textures etc.
[+] The design itself must be your own work
[+] Please put FINAL ENTRY at the top of your completed work, so there is no confusion when I put up the poll
[+] If your image is larger than 500x500 pixels, please use a thumbnail (no bigger than 500x500) to link to the full sized image
[+] You can post pictures of your unfinished works if you wish
[+] Any imaging editing software may be used, as well as hand drawings
[+] You may provide a short description of the track. Things you may include are:
--Track length
--Description of any standout features of the track
--Description of a lap of the track
--Anything else you feel would add to the design​
Competition ends Tuesday September 13, 2005

Blake

Final Entry

1 - Competitors start with a quick blast up a gravel access road leading in to a sharp left hander on to the road. A long right hand stretch heads in to a double apex corner and brings the cars through the primary school's car park, then turns right on to the dirt and past the school.

2 - Left on to the oval and around a small crop of trees, the cars now face a technical section. The oval's embankment acts as a speedway corner and the surface is bumpy leading off the oval's far side. A couple of tight right handers up a small hill leads cars to the back of the high school, then through the car park.

3 - The front of the high school is a narrow road, so caution will be needed to navigate the kink back to the main road, where a short down hill sprint ends with another right hander in to the sport field car park.

4 - The car park dash ends on dirt where a short complex of medium speed turns puts drivers in to the private school's oval. This oval has another embankment which is used to turn the cars almost 180 degrees before diving through the front car park. A couple of narrow 90 degree turns and a last uphill kink aims competitors at the finish line.

Im liking this, ive done rally stage creation before in my spare time so this will be good.

Seeing Mr. Toad's been hanging around in the Special Conditions area of GT4 lately (Sliding around with Subies) He's up for this one :)

Good one Blake 👍

FINAL ENTRY

A stage of the Fictional Brighton rally within the very Real city of Brighton in the UK.

Length: 10+ miles. (not exactly sure in other words)
Smooth Tarmac: 58%
Abrasvie Tarmac: 40%
Gravel: 2%

Here is a Stage Run onboard with Petter Solberg:D

OK, We start on the flat and slightly cambered Maderia Drive, we head right round the roundabout onto a quick sprint along Old Steine before heading left onto Castle Street which has a fairly steep uphill climb, we then head left again into the tight, narrow and fairly bumpy section known as the lanes, taking care not to hit any of the llarge curbs and barriers, then right out of the lanes briefly onto North Street, then a chance to stretch the cars briefly on New Road, left onto Church road then onto Windsor road. Back onto north street then we head around the Clock tower then past the Ice Rink, up queens road into a complex section of narrow roads as you switch back several times up and down them. We will then come to Tidy Street, a narrow camber ridden street with a couple of bumps which can catch you out, fly out onto Cheapside then left onto a tight narrow gravel complex past the Station, making sure to get speed over a small jump which will lead us onto the tarmac once more, Guildford road takes us down to Buckingham Road the left onto West Hill Street, a short sequence of 3 right handers can be flat out, careful of the small crossing islands in the middle of the road though, a Tight hairpin left followed by a 7 way Junction, round the roundbout, careful not to hit the wrong road as you head onto the curve on Montpellier Street into a double left onto the steep Clifton Hill, careful on the brakes into the kink left at the bottom followed by a right hand hairpin onto Dyke road, nice and wide as you head round into Upper North Street, down onto Western Road, a couple of chicanes and speed bumps to watch out for, then you head into Clarence square, lots of narrow tight turns, as you head down to the Seafront and into and round the Brighton Centre/Hotel drop off point back onto the A259, then left up West street followed by a complex of turns onto Prince ALbert street As you speed back toward the seafront and onto the A259 for a flying finish next to the Pier and opposite where you started.

Standout features: The varying width and camber throughout the stage, the many types of turns and the constant changes from Abrasive to smooth tarmac. Gravel section is the small section that is up around Brighton Station.

Fans: Will be lining the stage on the Pavements and Footpaths alongside the roads.

A long stage running across the Caribbean island of St. John with both tarmac (blue) and dirt (purple) sections. Even the widest parts of the stage are only two lanes. The dirt sections are bicycle trails.

Click for a larger image.

Candidate 2: A tortuous, winding stage running through Stuttgart.

And as a little extra: a city course with almost no 90-degree turns.
scircuit.gif

FINAL ENTRY
This long stage runs across the island of St. John in the US Virgin Islands, passing by beautiful beaches and shore views as it winds from Cruz Bay to Coral Bay. The roads on this stage are extremely narrow. Blue is tarmac, purple is dirt.

Here's my Final Entry on the Rally Stage.

This one was originally designed as a single Stage (Stage 3), but decided to add Stages 1 & 2.

Takes place in the Scottish Highlands, kind of a rolling hills thing. Inclement weather is the norm (Don't tell the Scottish Tourism board).

If I think of anything more to add, I'll drop it in later...

Competition closed .... do we really need a poll this week? :D

Well done Mr. Toad.

Blake

GT_Fan2005
Mr Toad that is freaking awsome! What program are you using to get that! its unbeleivable!

Glad you've enjoyed it GT_Fan2005!

First off I draw some paths for my track (and design) in Illustrator, then I cut & paste the paths (rasterizing some) to Photoshop.

I jump back and forth from Illustrator to Photoshop (for tweaking), then finally paint and highlight in Photoshop. That's pretty well it (in a nutshell). Type work was done in Illustrator.

:cheers:
Mr. Toad.

Blake
Competition closed .... do we really need a poll this week? :D

Well done Mr. Toad.

Blake

Ya don't need to do one if ya don't want too... but where's yours Blake???
The Toad understands time constraints. Oh well, would've liked to see it.

Come up with another track theme! I'm enjoying the challenge 👍

Back