• 15 comments

Blake

Premium
Australia
NSW, Australia
haswell00
Weekly Track Design Competition
Week 4

We're kind of a day off this week, so this weeks challenge will be a little shorter than usual so we can get back on schedule next week.

Anyway, some freedom this week, you must create a track in a figure 8 pattern. That is, it must cross over itself 1 (and only 1) time. The most well known example of this sort of thing is probably Suzuka.

The challenge
[+] Create a track with a figure 8 pattern

Rules
[+] You must give credit for using anyone elses textures etc.
[+] The design itself must be your own work
[+] Please put FINAL ENTRY at the top of your completed work, so there is no confusion when I put up the poll
[+] If your image is larger than 500x500 pixels, please use a thumbnail (no bigger than 500x500) to link to the full sized image
[+] You can post pictures of your unfinished works if you wish
[+] Any imaging editing software may be used, as well as hand drawings
[+] You may provide a short description of the track. Things you may include are:
--Track length
--Description of any standout features of the track
--Description of a lap of the track
--Anything else you feel would add to the design​
Competition ends Tuesday September 20, 2005

Blake

jsut the basic layout so far-

is the layout with the double bridge okay or does it not count as a figure 8?

Dont make me do a triple 8 to commemorate loundes and Mullers win last weekend :dopey:

OMFG! :ouch: Stop with the V8 stuff ;)

No, the rules state that it must cross over itself 1 time. No more, no less.

Blake

FINAL ENTRY.

gpdesign1.GIF

The layout. The circuit is run anti-clockwise.

gpdesignbridgepic1.GIF

An image from the bridge section to give you a good idea of the appearance of the circuit. Not too bad for something that I rushed.

This circuit is based around typical British/European countryside, and has many twisty sections and plenty of elevation changes. I have based the design on older circuits. Imagine a combination of the old Nurburgring and Suzuka, and you get the idea.

The track is designed to test many aspects of car and driver. The uphill sections test a car's ability to navigate steep gradients, and the downhill sections (most particually the section passing under the bridge) will test a driver's bravery. The fast, twisty layout will test a car's stability to the maximum. There's also a blind bend or two thrown in.

Description of a lap:

From the flat start is a quick sprint towards the first hairpin, from here is a short straight with a slight downwards gradient towards The Barns, and the onto a slight upwards gradient towards the third major corner, which takes you to a steep downhill twisty section towards The Fist.

On exit, you then move on to a steadier, uphill section which then takes you over the bridge and then towards a tight left hand bend, followed by a steep uphill, blind chicane. From here, it's a flat, reasonably simple curved section on flat land, and then the tight North Point. From this point you drive along the moderately uphill Church Climb and into a long, rather calm S-bend, followed immediately by the steep downhill East Drop, which sends you towards the bridge at high speed, and the road gets steeper after the bridge.

You then come to a hairpin and them move on to the Cottage Curve. You drive along a fast section with a long curve, on a more modest downhill gradient, which gradually becomes an upwards one, as you head towards the Castle Bend, adn the uphill gradient gradually gets steeper up to the Esses, and from here, the gradient eases off as you race towards the final chicane and onto the flat starting straight.

*Textures based on those from www.racingcircuits.net

Here we go again. This time I've tried to stick to the rules...
Made an attempt at 3D. So here are some pics. of my rudimentary Figure 8 layout.
Final entry

I may add some detail info later.
Toad out.

here's mine.. rally map with water crossings :D [and a 'natural' tunnel--aka a hole in a mountain] my attempt at topography.. lol :

Hey Blake,

What's up? A poll didn't go up for this one (as far as I can see) and no Week 5 and I believe we're one week ahead (into week 7).

Are we going to leave the track compo to die?

Just curious....

I think so, unless there is a show of interest by everyone else to keep it alive. I don't think it has been so successfull :indiff:

Any thoughts anyone?

PS - I'll find time today to download quicktime so I can have a look at your track 👍

Blake

Blake
I think so, unless there is a show of interest by everyone else to keep it alive. I don't think it has been so successfull :indiff:

Any thoughts anyone?

PS - I'll find time today to download quicktime so I can have a look at your track 👍

Blake

No worries mate, it was fun while it lasted... it's no fun flogging a dead horse (unless you're in to that type of thing)...

I'm going to be doing some more track designs in 3D. It was interesting doing that first one, and now I'm itching to do more. Think I'll try to find some 3D people here on the planet, and maybe pass some model designs around.

And it would be great if you could download Quicktime to view the movie. When I get a bit of time, I'll experiment compressing movies as AVI's (or similar).

Cheers! :cheers:
Toad out.

Mr. Toad
Here we go again. This time I've tried to stick to the rules...
Made an attempt at 3D. So here are some pics. of my rudimentary Figure 8 layout.
Final entry

I may add some detail info later.
Toad out.
I have a feeling your going to get the most votes mate.

TVR&Ferrari_Fan
I have a feeling your going to get the most votes mate.

Hey there TVR! Glad you like the 3D stuff... unfortunately this is a dead thread.

Blakes killed it because of lack of interest. I am (on the side) working on some other 3D track maps. I'm really keen on these kind of projects and will continue to play.

I'm working on a GT4 Gallery and when I finally get my poop together will load some of the maps up.

Another offshoot to this I'm trying to develop a 'Flash' car racing game, but (alas) the action script coding is getting the better of me... this may take awhile.

Back