X-Men Origins: Wolverine! May 09

• Thread starter V1P3R
  • 24 comments

V1P3R

(Banned)
It's a bit far off but... They are making X-Men Origins: Wolverine! It's gonna be awesome! They even have Gambit! :drool:

Wolverine_X-Men.jpg

The trailer wasn't that bad, but I thought the way he went from riding th bike to launching himself on the helicopter was just plain stupid.

I cant believe this thread does not have more action. Wolverine is one of my favorite xmen characters and this is looking like a very good movie. Only 4 days away!!!
The game is also looking very good. Some of the cut scenes in the game are extremely violent. :dopey:

Last edited:
I like the trailer seems like it will be a good movie...
My company department is going on a "movie outing" all expenses paid :sly:

The trailer wasn't that bad, but I thought the way he went from riding th bike to launching himself on the helicopter was just plain stupid.
Okay, I've since seen a few extra moments of footage that explain how he was able to do that - a missile hits the truck, which throws him upwards - and I no longer think it looks that stupid.

I saw it today - Australia got it early, probably because Jackman and his prduction company are Australian, and a lot of the film was shot here and in New Zealand - and it's actually pretty good. I'd say it just pips X-MEN 2 as the best in the franchise, and while it's not in the league of BATMAN BEGINS and THE DARK KNIGHT, it's not trying to be. It tells its story, it tells it well, and it's not too concerned with being a slave to continuity at times. It's well-made, its action sequences aren't drawn out even if they do feel like set-pieces at times, and it keeps enough characters in it to ground it in the franchise but without disrupting the continuity (especially the way they handle a teenage version of a certain character from the other films). You know what's going to happen because it's a prequel, but unlike the Jackson cameo and IRON MAN and the Downey Jnr. appearance in THE INCREDIBLE HULK, ORIGINS isn't trying to establish itself as the pilot of a franchise and thus cheapen its overll appeal.

I saw the film earlier tonight, and my initial impression isn't particularly great. On the one hand, I think anything was going to be better than X3, but on the other, I genuinely feel as though the ball had been dropped with this one, big time. Basically, if you're familiar at all with the origins of Wolverine, you've seen the movie. They do some different twists on the story, and throw a few extra things in there for "good taste."

Problem is, I'm just left with a bad taste in my mouth. Its like eating a big cookie with too many fixin's added to it. Way too many fixins. The movie is awash with cameos, both big and small, many that last such a short amount of time that you just end up asking, "was that completely necessary?" Or, "Did I just wait nine years to see Gambit turn up and be a royal tosser?" Possibly, "Hey, that's Deadpool! Wait, what the hell happened... That's not right at all!"

I feel like there was just so much, and yet nothing at all. Give it a shot if you're interested, it isn't a bad way to spend an hour and a half, just don't go in expecting X2.

Oh, IMO:

X2 > X1 > Wolverine > X3

Time for SPOILER Talk

In case you haven't heard, there are secret endings to the movie that will be played randomly in different locations. My understanding is that there are somewhere around two to four, although I've only had two separate ones confirmed so far. The theater I was in, we got to see Commander Stryker being arrested, and then we saw Deadpool coming back to life, looking into the camera and saying "Shhhhh" (A nod to his breaking of the 4th wall in the comics).

The other one, apparently, is Logan at a bar in Japan (alluding to the continued storyline from the comics). Not much there, the basic "Are you drinking to forget?" "No, I'm drinking to remember."

RE: Commander Stryker

They've got this plot line all mixed up, as far as I can tell. Yes, the son is there, yes he hates mutants, but I don't recall the arrest being any part of the story arc from X2 whatsoever.

RE: Deadpool

He is a cool character, lets be honest. Ryan Renolds does him justice. However, not enough time is spent on screen. Furthermore (SPOILER IN A SPOILER!), the ending kills it. Really. Making him the Weapon XI candidate, the one with everyone's powers, that's just dumb. Seriously, because that IS NOT Deadpool. Thanks for destroying what could have been a cool side-movie, kids (lets hope the rumors of that Deadpool being a clone are true).

RE: Gambit

Seriously? I waited nine years for THIS??? I'd rather not have it by comparison to this. Honestly, this does nothing to reflect the wisecracking sonofabitch that he is supposed to be. Not only did he not "look right," the accent wasn't heavy enough, and the badassery was never used. If you've seen the trailers, you've seen everything that Gambit does. Literally. What a waste of space in a movie that was already too crowded with characters.

RE: Cameos

I counted Cyclops, Toad, and Quicksilver pretty easily. I think Ice Man was there, but I couldn't tell. Yeah, Professor Xavier shows up as well. Problem is, I guess I don't get who or what all of that was serving. I'd have rather had maybe one, or two, "special guests," but ultimately, even that fell totally flat.

The problem with Deadpool is that they couldn't have a proper confrontation with Stryker - because he appears in X2 - and they needed Wolverine to have a final confrontation. It would have been so easy to write Wade Wilson in such a way that he became obsessed with acquiring mutant abilities that he commissioned Stryker to help him find a way to do it. Stryker saw this as being far too dangerous - which, combined with his son's mutation made it easy for him to see mutants as the enemy of humanity - but went along with it and created the WEAPONS, eventually hijacking Wilson's body with the intention of using him to eliminate mutant kind.

I'd rate this one as X2>X1>X:Wolverine=X3.

The action scenes were awesome, as was the montage showing the history of Wolverine and Sabretooth... but after that, the movie turned into a mess.

It's not the actors' faulth... Hugh Jackman turns in a commendable performance, but he's playing straight man to Liev Schreiber's psycho. No, it wasn't a Joker-esque performance, but Sabretooth comes across as a more memorable character than the title role. Will.i.am also does a good job in his major film debut, and the girl they got for Silver Fox was perfect.

Of course, having Ryan Reynolds and Hugh Jackman together in one movie brings to the surface latent fears of a Blade-Van Helsing movie... and while Wolverine never quite descends into those levels of stupidity, it's close. Characters enter and exit the story without rhyme or reason, the chronology is extremely jumpy, and the plot is so ridiculously draconian, I'm surprised that Mister Sinister doesn't make a cameo at the end.

I particularly hate that sequence of scenes at the barn. Firstly, X-Men movie canon has you believing Logan lost his memory during/after the operation. Secondly, you introduce two sympathetic characters to kill off, you generally want to have them on-screen long enough for the audience to develop feelings for them... you don't just randomly blow them away after a few minutes, and thirdly, introducing the jacket and the motorcycle is a patently useless piece of lore-building, since he has neither by the end of the movie.

It's understandable that they've somewhat altered Wolverine's history. It'd be impossible to compress decades of X-Men lore into a single feature-length film. But the shame is that they so badly botched the possibilities given to them... with useless cameos and underutilized characters.

So Charles Xavier appears at the end of the film (in make-up so thick, we thought Patrick Stewart was CGI'd in!), but does absolutely nothing. The Blob drops off the plot about halfway through the movie... Gambit's appearances are sporadic... the girl with diamond skin sounds like a great idea, until you realize they mean she's literally encrusted with finely polished, jewel-grade diamonds... and Quicksilver and the other mutants are patently useless... if you were the fastest boy alive, and were let out of your cage, standing behind everyone else and simpering during firefights and escapes probably isn't what you would want to do, right? But this probably continues the fine tradition of X2, where minor characters with powers do absolutely nothing in a time of crisis (mansion invasion scene).

I think the worst part was the ending...

The final battle was epic enough... but what followed was sheer stupidity.

If I were Colonel Stryker, after seeing Logan and Creed finish off the most bad-ass synthetic mutant you could create and causing billions of dollars in property damage, I don't think I'd be thinking... "If I shoot Wolverine with my dinky little revolver, I can wipe his memory!... the perfect revenge! Wahahahaha!"

Not to mention the fact that the mutinous Creed is probably still out there, there's another powerful mutant wandering around (Gambit) as well as those royally pissed-off prisoners who have just escaped and killed all your guards...

The Good: Great fight choreography. Gritty war scenes. Good acting (for an action movie)

The Bad: Jumpy continuity, fast-slow pacing, poor character development, hole-y mole-y plot, ridiculously convoluted, to boot, under-used characters,

The Ugly: Where's Stan Lee? (Seriously... he may have been there, but I didn't see him...)

Overall, I'd give it a 6/10. Rotten Tomatoes was less diplomatic... it got a 37% :lol:

I have never read the comics so I thought the movie was excellent. The only really bad actor of the movie was Will I Am. He played as John Wraith. They really should have left him out of the movie. But other than that character I really enjoyed the movie. The first half was action packed and very enjoyable. Started to wind down after the first half but this movie still answered a lot of my Wolverine questions. While I usually dont like Ryan Renolds very much, I thought he did a good job in this movie. His acting was a lot better in this movie than it was in Blade 3.

I would definetly say this was up there as one of my favorite of the series. I would still put Xmen 3 above Wolverine but its very close. I will buy this movie the day it comes out for sure. I didnt watch the end credits so I have no idea if I missed anything.

niky
But this probably continues the fine tradition of X2, where minor characters with powers do absolutely nothing in a time of crisis (mansion invasion scene).
Mutants they may be, but if you were lost in the midde of a maze-like top secret facility with no idea where you might be, only that your captors used you for genetic experiments, bravery might not be that high on your agenda, especially since -as with X2 - they're pretty much all teenagers at best and primary school students at worst ...

There is one part I was wondering about..
Wolverine meets Cyclops for the first time in X:Wolverine. So why was Cyclops introduced again in X:1 like they never met?

Wolverine and Cyclops never met. Wolverine only saw him in passing when he liberated the caged mutants, and never saw a demonstration of his powers. Cyclops was always wearing a visor - except on the occasion when he blasted the redhisrts away - and so never saw Wolverine. Even if Logan had met Cyclops, his memories were wiped when Stryker shot him with the adamantium bullet.

You guys have pretty much covered all the points, but there's a few I wonder about.

Maybe it's me, but it seemed weird as hell for Logan to be on the table, and then asked, "What do you want on your new tags"? Cue wasted 5 seconds of film. Then, he's back on the table. Seriously? You stop a project so your experiment can have new dog tags?

Did anyone keep track of the number of shots Stryker fired? He had 6 bullets, but it feels like he wasted nearly all of them, and still had 1 left for the girl.

Stryker's overplayed, "Old friend" line. Recruit Logan, old friend, betray Logan, old friend, betray Logan. It seemed so over done.

The Col./whom ever's death. Who didn't see that coming?

Just some things that bugged me. But, I enjoyed it overall. Lot of it just didn't make sense and even my friend got lost. He got the "plot", but didn't understand the points. Regardless, I wouldn't mind seeing it again.

And I agree with niky on 2 points.

1 - Are we sure that was Stewart? :lol:
As soon as I saw him, I thought they must have gotten someone into some heavy makeup to look like Stewart. He just looked so amazingly fake.

2 - Sabretooth as a memorable character. I don't know how they did it, but his character just did everything very well. He convinced me that he was a loyal brother, then a deadly enemy, and at the end, a man who made you forgive him of trying to kill Wolverine. He was just so well done.

Wolverine and Cyclops never met. Wolverine only saw him in passing when he liberated the caged mutants, and never saw a demonstration of his powers. Cyclops was always wearing a visor - except on the occasion when he blasted the redshirts away - and so never saw Wolverine. Even if Logan had met Cyclops, his memories were wiped when Stryker shot him with the adamantium bullet.

Fair enough, but you'd think Cyclops would remember Sabretooth... or Toad would remember Wolverine... or...

:lol: on the red-shirts line... :lol:

-

Personally, if I'd written the movie, I would have had the big bad guy be some Nazi experiment that both Logan and Creed faced in World War II (no spoilerism intended... everybody knows Wolverine fought alongside Captain America!) which they eventually deep-sixed... maybe frozen into a block of ice... then brought back to life in the same facility that creates Wolverine.

Of course, now that I've said that... I guess it is kind of spoilerish saying that there will be no Nazi franken-mutants in the film... :lol:

Personally, if I'd written the movie, I would have had the big bad guy be some Nazi experiment that both Logan and Creed faced in World War II (no spoilerism intended... everybody knows Wolverine fought alongside Captain America!) which they eventually deep-sixed... maybe frozen into a block of ice... then brought back to life in the same facility that creates Wolverine.

But, but, but Wolverine isn't supposed to fight HIM:

92028-red-skull_400.jpg

I guess it all depends on what origin story you follow. It seems like everyone has re-written it recently, which doesn't make the craft of it into a movie any easier. My biggest fears were confirmed with the overall continuity of the franchise, which they did not do a good job of maintaining. Again, I think if this had been a Marvel-controlled property (instead of Fox), things would have been a bit more "tight," and likely a bit more loyal to current storylines, *snikt* although following the Ultimates likely would have been too confusing given the current continuity.

*sigh*

I've forgotten how insane the X-Men universe has been.

Of course, now that I've said that... I guess it is kind of spoilerish saying that there will be no Nazi franken-mutants in the film... :lol:
Now that you mentioned it, I think it would have been badass if the movie showed a cameo of Captain America during their WWII battle.

Yeah... it would have tied it into the Marvel Universe better... sort of like the montage at the beginning of "Watchmen".

Marvel Continuity in the present day... what continuity? I have trouble following anything nowadays, especially as you have to buy several dozen different titles and specials every month just to keep up with what's happening in the Marvel U.

Back