Xbox 2 specs...

Found this online, looks rather interseting, it would deffinatley make xbox a serious console to mess with:

According to a leaked document, credited to Pete Isensee at the Xbox Advanced Technology Group, XBox 2 will be powered by three 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC cores, built onto one silicon die and a 500+ MHz ATI graphics processor. XBox 2 will have 256+ MB of unified memory and run a custom operating system based on Microsoft Windows NT, similar to the Xbox operating system. The graphics interface will be a superset of Microsoft Direct3D version 9.0.

The document itself, emailed to xbox-scene.com, is careful to mention that the speeds of the CPU and GPU cores and the amount of memory are subject to change since it claims Microsoft has not yet settled on those matters. The reason many believe this document may be an official accident, is that it doesn't answer the burning RAM and storage questions. Especially when discussing the existence of a hard drive the document even tries to promote alternatives such as networked PCs, XBox Live and removable devices. It does however state that even if a hard drive is not included with XBox 2, one will be available as an extra.

Whatever the origins of this document experts have confirmed that even if it's not authentic it still, pretty much, describes XBox 2.

CPU

According to the leaked information the CPU was designed by IBM in close consultation with the Xbox team, leading to a number of revolutionary additions, including a dot product instruction for extremely fast vector math and custom security features built directly into the silicon to prevent piracy and hacking. One interesting feature will involve the 1-MB L2 cache which will be shared by the three cores. The L2 cache will be directly readable from the GPU, allowing the GPU to consume geometry and texture data from L2 and main memory simultaneously.

Graphics

The ATI manufactured GPU will share the 256 MB memory with the XBox 2 system but will also have access to 10+ MB of fast embedded dynamic RAM (EDRAM), directly on the GPU die. Along with the extremely fast EDRAM, the GPU will also include hardware instructions for alpha blending, z-test, and antialiasing.
XBox 2 will not only support high-level shading language (HLSL) model 3.0 for vertex and pixel shaders but will also include advanced shader features well beyond model 3.0. XBox 2 shaders will also have the unique ability to directly access main memory, allowing techniques that have never before been possible.

Memmory and Bandwidth

XBox 2 will have 256+ MB of unified memory, equally accessible to both the GPU and CPU. The main memory controller will reside on the GPU (the same as in the Xbox architecture). It will have 22.4+ GB/sec aggregate bandwidth to RAM, distributed between reads and writes. Aggregate means that the bandwidth may be used for all reading or all writing or any combination of the two. Translated into game performance, the GPU can consume a 512×512×32-bpp texture in only 47 microseconds.
The front side bus (FSB) bandwidth peak wil be 10.8 GB/sec for reads and 10.8 GB/sec for writes, over 20 times faster than for Xbox. Note that the 22.4+ GB/sec main memory bandwidth is shared between the CPU and GPU. If, for example, the CPU is using 2 GB/sec for reading and 1 GB/sec for writing on the FSB, the GPU has 19.4+ GB/sec available for accessing RAM.

Storage

Storage

Xenon console (XBox 2) games will have access to a variety of storage devices, including connected devices (memory units, USB storage) and remote devices (networked PCs, Xbox Live). At the time of the document, the decision to include a built-in hard disk in every Xenon console had not been made. If a hard disk is not included in every console, it will certainly be available as an integrated add-on component.
Xenon will support up to two attached memory units (MUs). MUs are connected directly to the console, not to controllers as on Xbox. The initial size of the MUs is 64 MB, although larger MUs may be available in the future. MU throughput is expected to be around 8 MB/sec for reads and 1 MB/sec for writes.
The Xenon game disc drive will be a 12× DVD, with an expected outer edge throughput of 16+ MB/sec. Latency is expected to be in the neighborhood of 100 ms. The media format will be similar to Xbox, with approximately 6 GB of usable space on the disk. As on Xbox, media will be stored on a single side in two 3 GB layers.

Controllers

Xenon will support up to four controllers. The standard Xenon controller will have a look and feel similar to the Xbox controller. The primary changes are the removal of the Black and White buttons and the addition of shoulder buttons. The triggers, thumbsticks, D-pad, and primary buttons are essentially unchanged. The controller will support vibration.

Audio - Input/Output

The document goes on to discuss the amazing audio capabilities of the system and the USB 2.0 ports and the Ethernet 10/100-BaseT port.

I especially like this part
XBox 2 will be powered by three 3.5+ GHz IBM PowerPC cores, built onto one silicon die and a 500+ MHz ATI graphics processor.
:eek:

I heard they're in a lot of trouble, the Xbox developers. They want to have the "first foot" into the market and releasing their system first, but then that leaves the PS2 and Gamecube a chance to adapt better technology..

Aslong as I can play PS2 games on the PS3 I know what I will be buying.
I haven't got anything (much) against the Xbox, just the fact I can't afford a Sony and Microsoft console.

I have both PS2 and XBOX, I love both, so I'll probably end up buying both Xbox 2 and PS3

Giancarlo: I heard the same thing, but if xbox releases first they will have a full year to gain "customer loyalty" and establish a foothold in the market, yes its risky but its not a bad idea at all.

Article regarding xbox 2 release:

Microsoft is faced with an important dilemma concerning its choice of release date for the XBox 2. According to developer reports and to a steady supply of leaked statements, Microsoft's next-gen console is the one that is nearest release and the company now has to decide if it will risk launching it by Christmas 2005.

According to several key industry sources, Microsoft is working towards a Christmas 2005 launch for its next Xbox console in US, with a European release likely to take place in early 2006. If XBox 2 does go down that route it will be a clear indication that Microsoft is attempting to pull a Sony on the next-gen console market by getting a clear lead in store-shelves. As is obvious there is an inherent risk in that strategy since rivals will be able to adapt their console designs in order to claim superiority to XBox 2.

US sources, including a major publisher claiming that Microsoft is definitely targeting Christmas 2005 with its next XBox, have been insisting that MS is willing to take that risk, especially when considering that PS3s launch may be pushed back as far as 2007. The first reports surfaced when developers begun revealing XBox 2 game release dates which were very close to the Christmas 2005 season.

Microsoft has suffered this round of the console wars, largely due to Sony's head start with the PS2 and the news coming from Sony itself can only be seen as encouraging with Sony's European chief David Reeves, already having claimed that the PlayStation 2 is only halfway through its life-cycle. There is also speculation that Sony's insistence to integrate high-end DVD technology into the PS3 may also lead to a delay.

If all these leaks and expert guesses prove right, Microsoft could end up with a one year jump on the PlayStation 3, with Nintendo's offering, currently codenamed Revolution, expected to appear half-way between the two.

:eek: WOW! 3 3.5 GHz PROCESSORS? sounds expensive... Looks Great, but one thing bugs me, HDD will eb extra? noooo! My favorite part of the XBox Hardware (besides supporting bump-mapping) is the HDD! I love listening to custom music! :( I hate memory cards... :(

Event Horizon
:eek: WOW! 3 3.5 GHz PROCESSORS? sounds expensive... Looks Great, but one thing bugs me, HDD will eb extra? noooo! My favorite part of the XBox Hardware (besides supporting bump-mapping) is the HDD! I love listening to custom music! :( I hate memory cards... :(

Dont worry. Microsoft will only lose 3 billion dollars the first year and it will decline some 800million every year after. Xbox2=$299.99. It was never about profit.

But 3.5ghz PowerPC chips? Sounds funny unless they switched to CISC based CPU's which would be odd.

About the HDD, it was never used to its potential. Games that had downloadable content never had much content to down load.

Thats a good point (downloadable content still needs a kick in the pants to really get rolling), but the hard drive is very valuable for streaming data and eliminating load times. It really is a big advantage.

Besides, I still hate memory cards.

Was searching up at any rumors about XBOX 2, and look at what I found.

I don't have a XBOX due to lack of money. I don't see me getting a XBOX 2 either. But its a long time from now, that may all change.

The stats on the XBOX 2 is impressive, but is the PS3 going to be as good? I don't want to start any XBOX vs PS2 feud, but is there any rumors about how fast the PS3 will be compared to the XBOX 2.

My friend think that the PS3 will be as fast as a XBOX. I totally disagree, but of course don't have any proof that it don't. As of now all this are rumors.

Ps3's stats probably wont come off sounding like a new Pc. But rather more information on game's new features and abilities. Stats dont when battles (PS2 vs XBX Vs GCN) games do.

Edit, I dont beleive in the 3x 3.5ghz cpu's. Thats means allot or heat or allot of noise or both, think PS2's fan is anoying?

Back