Xbox Celebrates Its 20 Year Anniversary

It sucks that the round of 70+ games that they added to backwards compatability is going to be the last one they do for the forseeable future, but knocking down Max Payne, FEAR and finally completing the Skate franchise is certainly playing to the crowd, alongside dropping Halo Infinite's multiplayer.

Certainly an incredibly strong showing in that front from Microsoft.

It sucks that the round of 70+ games that they added to backwards compatability is going to be the last one they do for the forseeable future, but knocking down Max Payne, FEAR and finally completing the Skate franchise is certainly playing to the crowd, alongside dropping Halo Infinite's multiplayer.

Certainly an incredibly strong showing in that front from Microsoft.
I guess there goes my hope for Rallisport Challenge 2 being backwards compatible. It's the only game that I use my OG Xbox for, and it can be a little finicky at times.

I guess there goes my hope for Rallisport Challenge 2 being backwards compatible. It's the only game that I use my OG Xbox for, and it can be a little finicky at times.
Even before this point, I seriously doubted that Microsoft would care to actually make their past Xbox racing games backwards compatible. Considering that Rallisport Challenge is probably up in the air in terms of who actually owns the franchise name (I doubt DICE, considering DICE almost never acknowledges their past before Battlefield to begin with) and PGR is, well...completely dead (you can make up your own reasons why Microsoft doesn't acknowledge it) and Forza's trials and tribulations with being delisted are well known.

Still, I really think that for 95% of publishers with racing games, or even games in general with licensed cars or especially music, the benefits of being widely available and preserved by Microsoft's backwards compatibility probably aren't able to outweigh the potential headaches that comes from setting up new deals for said licensed content that will probably have to be renewed in five, ten years time. Which is why you got that quote from the Xbox rep - most developers aren't willing to pay it, and those that do probably see it as a drop in the bucket, but with most upsides instead of down.

I remember seeing a James Bond game on the OG back in 2001 or something and I always wanted one. I finally got an Xbox 360 Christmas 2006 and that made me stop playing on the Playstation platform. If I grew up playing Playstation, my life would have been completely different. I probably would have done more with myself.

PSN didn't hook me as much as Xbox Live because not everyone had a mic to work with PS. It was that extra layer of interaction that blew me away. I was so used to playing console games offline or playing PC without a mic as well.

To Xbox and the thousands of hours of life I've wasted away. :cheers: :cheers: :indiff:

I am super thrilled they added the 2nd and 3rd Timesplitters games as backwards compatible, as those are some very memorable games I played for many hours in my friends basement crowded around a small TV. :lol:

I am also very happy to see the entire F.E.A.R series, as I thought that was never going to happen with all the publishers and developers involved with each game. BUT I can't seem to purchase the first game. Am I missing something, it's not on the marketplace as a digital purchase, is this one only playable with a disc?

Edit: Yes, a disc is required to play the first F.E.A.R. on Xbox One, unfortunately.

Last edited:
Dunno if anyone has caught onto this yet, I have seen nothing spoken about it on the places I frequent, and maybe people might be able to corroborate it:

I'm not getting any sort of music in either Max Payne 3 or Ridge Racer 6. With Max Payne, music is in cut scenes, but it smash cuts to silence when gameplay starts up. With Ridge Racer 6, there's no music in any of the FMV's, nor during gameplay or replays. I'm starting to wonder if this may be the issues about licensing that Xbox mentioned in the press release yesterday, but it doesn't make sense for either of these games considering they're both composed soundtracks (maybe a bit more murky in the case of MP3/HEALTH, but even still) and the rights presumably would be held by the publishers.

For what it's worth, I am playing on Series S and bought both games digitally, and am not playing them through disc.

Even before this point, I seriously doubted that Microsoft would care to actually make their past Xbox racing games backwards compatible. Considering that Rallisport Challenge is probably up in the air in terms of who actually owns the franchise name (I doubt DICE, considering DICE almost never acknowledges their past before Battlefield to begin with) and PGR is, well...completely dead (you can make up your own reasons why Microsoft doesn't acknowledge it) and Forza's trials and tribulations with being delisted are well known.

Still, I really think that for 95% of publishers with racing games, or even games in general with licensed cars or especially music, the benefits of being widely available and preserved by Microsoft's backwards compatibility probably aren't able to outweigh the potential headaches that comes from setting up new deals for said licensed content that will probably have to be renewed in five, ten years time. Which is why you got that quote from the Xbox rep - most developers aren't willing to pay it, and those that do probably see it as a drop in the bucket, but with most upsides instead of down.
Yep.
For a game like Rallisport Challenge 2, which had a relatively small car list compared to modern games, you’re still talking over 20 manufacturers who would need to be brought back to the bargaining table with 15-20 years of price inflation in play. In addition, the status of some of them (cough, Saab) is now murky as to who you are actually dealing with.
The second part of the minefield is music licensing, as alluded to earlier in this thread, and the costs there make the car licensing look reasonable by comparison. Can’t remember if this applies to Rallisport or not, but for any games that used popular contemporary tracks, it’s always the biggest hit to the re-release budget.
Sucks, but the content that made racing games so realistic is what kills any chance of backward compatibility happening.

I remember seeing a James Bond game on the OG back in 2001 or something and I always wanted one. I finally got an Xbox 360 Christmas 2006 and that made me stop playing on the Playstation platform. If I grew up playing Playstation, my life would have been completely different. I probably would have done more with myself.

PSN didn't hook me as much as Xbox Live because not everyone had a mic to work with PS. It was that extra layer of interaction that blew me away. I was so used to playing console games offline or playing PC without a mic as well.

To Xbox and the thousands of hours of life I've wasted away. :cheers: :cheers: :indiff:
The gta 3 and tony hawk versions were better than the ps2 versions on the og xbox, remember my friends being upset about that because they didnt want to buy one

I actually still it in storage with the og games too …too bad game looks horrible on hd tvs

So get yourself a lovely CRT.. :)
Still the best way to play games, setting aside screen size or clarity. :) The virtually zero latency is unbeatable.

I would still keep one hooked up in my gaming space for older games if I had not ensured my HD setup is the next best thing, with a low-latency monitor and low-latency analog connection.

Back