Xbox's Partnership With Samsung Could Shake Up The Gaming Landscape

This is tech Unused to dream about when GameCube came out. I figured consoles would get smaller and smaller. Lo' and behold, Nintendo Switch came out. The perfect concept.

Now, only the controller/joysticks attached to a tablet or phone, that's what I need.

I suppose for some this will be great (particularly if you're stuck on public transport) not for me though, I want my games on a monster TV with high resolution / frame rate and crucially low latency. Each to their own lol
Now imagine you're a consumer who's never played a game on a games console, and you live in a nation with 5G and a whole load of smartphones but either poor or next to no Xbox presence - like Japan, or South Korea. You're now part of the Xbox brand and family.

And think of it from Xbox's perspective. By the time PS5 launches there'll already be 30m 5G Samsung phones out there, and likely 100m by the end of 2021 when the PS5 is racking up its 20 millionth sale.

So now we have the X-Box Series X Samsung xCloud+ wait what... where are we now?
giphy (11).gif

Last edited:
For those who don't play on consoles, with this partnership, lots of samsung users will be able to play xbox games on their samsung devices which means good for the xbox brand. Building up the family even further as we know it.

The more options, the better for the gaming community. When I saw this I was surprised when Samsung announced this during their conference. Imagine the amount of players in games like FM8 and FH5 will get now after this. It'll be insane!

Last edited:
Deals like this really put Spencers comment into perspective. MS, Amazon and Google have the global infrastructure to build an cloud gaming services like this and partner with companies like Samsung.

Sony and Nintendo can do this aswell, but they need another partner (MS, Amazon, Google) to do it, because both don't have an global cloud infrastructure.

In fact PS Now has an capacity of 5 million people, while PSN (not Now) runs on AWS. Really explains why Sony is in talks with Microsoft and why PS Now was never the focus until now.

Probably explains why PS Now on Samsung TV was stopped back then, too. After all being only able to support 5 million players like Sony announced is an issue... You can have all the demand and fanbase you like. But unless you have the infrastructure or an partner with the infrastructure, you won't be able to deal with the demand.

Microsoft will buy literally everything soon. Whole Korea and China first:). Hope they will find a spare dollar to buy gaming studios as well.

Ewww Samsung phones. Stock Android for life.

Still it's pretty cool though and I do think this is the next big thing in gaming. Phones are already catching up (or maybe have passed) to other forms of gaming so it only makes sense. I'm glad Microsoft is furthering to innovate too, the more ways people have to play games the more game companies will continue to produce better and better games to maximize their profits.

Now imagine you're a consumer who's never played a game on a games console, and you live in a nation with 5G and a whole load of smartphones but either poor or next to no Xbox presence - like Japan, or South Korea. You're now part of the Xbox brand and family.

And think of it from Xbox's perspective. By the time PS5 launches there'll already be 30m 5G Samsung phones out there, and likely 100m by the end of 2021 when the PS5 is racking up its 20 millionth sale.

Its a bit pie in the sky thinking that every phone owner will want this service. Games as services is the way its going for sure, but given the competition on mobiles its not going to be such a major game changer is it? Its just another choice in a very saturated market... Its the kind of thing that will appeal to existing xbox owners who want to carry on playing whilst travelling im not sure it will create tons of fresh demand in markets in asia particularly as the preference has been for titles that reflect their culture something the xbox is lacking compared to its rivals... It would be different if they had an exclusive JRPG or pokemon style title...

Last edited:

While you'd have a good point in a country like Brazil (where consoles have some ridiculous import tariff), I don't think this holds water that much in the two countries you mentioned. The problem with X-Box in Korea and Japan isn't availability - it's utter lack of interest. If someone in Japan wants an X-Box, they have just as much access to it as a PlayStation or a Switch.

Its a bit pie in the sky thinking that every phone owner will want this service.
I don't think anybody thinks that...
While you'd have a good point in a country like Brazil (where consoles have some ridiculous import tariff), I don't think this holds water that much in the two countries you mentioned. The problem with X-Box in Korea and Japan isn't availability - it's utter lack of interest.
I didn't say anything about availability, I said poor or next to no presence. That could be for a number of reasons, and ****s given is one of those. If you can capture someone who previously didn't give two short ones about an Xbox by getting them interested in the games on their phone, that's what Professor Hulk will call an absolute win.

I don't think anybody thinks that...

I didn't say anything about availability, I said poor or next to no presence. That could be for a number of reasons, and ****s given is one of those. If you can capture someone who previously didn't give two short ones about an Xbox by getting them interested in the games on their phone, that's what Professor Hulk will call an absolute win.

Ah yes so folks who never play games will now play them because xbox has arrived on mobile, particularly when they offer titles that have appealed so much to that market in asia. This indeed is an absolute win and we should disregard their amazing sales record in that marketplace Hulk Smash lol

Ah yes so folks who never play games will now play them because xbox has arrived on mobile, particularly when they offer titles that have appealed so much to that market in asia. This indeed is an absolute win and we should disregard their amazing sales record in that marketplace Hulk Smash lol
It also means they don't have to go to the effort and costs of making and shipping consoles or games to a market in which they'd otherwise tank, and instead make profits on the games sales and licensing with no additional overheads... while still having Xbox fans in those territories.

Seriously, you mean parents don't have to buy yet another console for their kid(s) at Christmas? This IS an absolute win!

I was thinking of not buying the next XB console. Just waiting to buy PS5 & a new Sony tv. Now, I have an option for less clutter. The thing might blow up in my hands, but hey, it's something cool.

Comparing games console sales to phone sales is like comparing car sales with aircraft sales.

What exactly is the confusing part?

It's a joke, in case it wasn't obvious enough already.
A bad joke of course, but a joke nonetheless.

Comparing games console sales to phone sales is like comparing car sales with aircraft sales.
The entire thrust of xCloud is turning any device into an Xbox, including (and particularly) smartphones.

It also means they don't have to go to the effort and costs of making and shipping consoles or games to a market in which they'd otherwise tank, and instead make profits on the games sales and licensing with no additional overheads... while still having Xbox fans in those territories.

apparently the last word is the most important yes im being ironic lol

someone in Japan wants an X-Box, they have just as much access to it as a PlayStation or a Switch.
Many people in asian countries aren't interested in buying a console and rather play on mobile or similar devices. Japan is an exception to an extend, but it's still a market with home console* sales declining over the last years iirc.

* Switch isn't an home console in this case, because it has an handheld form factor.

South Korea or india are markets with huge potential for cloud games services and analyst expect significant growth for gaming there.

Edit: This link has an forecast and information about cloud gaming in asia.
https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rel...-holds-the-largest-opportunity-300991287.html

Last edited:
A device running xCloud is not "an Xbox" any more than Martian rover operators are the first human explorers on Mars. The experience is not equal to playing on an Xbox and never will be.

And there should be nothing objectionable about that notion for anyone still interested in the tech. Its gimmicks are the point of it...and its consequences are the point of opting to play games on local hardware instead.

A device running xCloud is not "an Xbox" any more than Martian rover operators are the first human explorers on Mars. The experience is not equal to playing on an Xbox and never will be.

And there should be nothing objectionable about that notion for anyone still interested in the tech. Its gimmicks are the point of it...and its consequences are the point of opting to play games on local hardware instead.
In the end....its the market that decides, isnt it?

Its not the exact experience but at least I can see the use case for it, like when you commuting or in a hotel far away.

@Wolfe
All the gaming companies want to grow gaming and make more profit. This is the reason cloud gaming exist and consoles, although the superior experience imo, failed to reach some markets like india with an huge opportunity for gaming companies.

Its not the exact experience but at least I can see the use case for it, like when you commuting or in a hotel far away.
@Wolfe
All the gaming companies want to grow gaming and make more profit. This is the reason cloud gaming exist and consoles, although the superior experience imo, failed to reach some markets like india with an huge opportunity for gaming companies.
Certainly, which is why I don't oppose exploring the idea. But its advocates and the executives behind it have had a tendency to be terribly unrealistic about the whole thing, disregarding the pitfalls of sticking everything into an online streaming account (even over digital purchases on consoles' closed platforms) and practically pretending input latency doesn't exist, or that ping can be "solved".

I'm just saying to call it what it is; enjoy it for what it is.

Last edited:
Many people in asian countries aren't interested in buying a console and rather play on mobile or similar devices. Japan is an exception to an extend, but it's still a market with home console* sales declining over the last years iirc.
You forgot to mention that they also use PCs to play their favorite games as well, especially those who are catered to playing online ones.

I dont think there is anything wrong in Soney sticking to traditional games consoles, ultimately if anyone wants to play games, it's the first thing they think of, a games console.

These are two very different markets now with many aspects of which are incomparable. Just as was said my Microsoft some weeks ago, Soney are not their rival now, due to putting themselves in a different genre alltogether.

Considering it's all entirely service driven, it's like comparing Steam to a Playstation console. In many ways you can of course compare, but in sale's there's not much reason to, considering probably most people who use a computer don't use Steam, can be said the same for those who own Samsung phones perhaps.

Seeing your confusion in other threads, it wasn't that obvious of a joke.

I guess you can't read sarcasm. Joke's don't need to be obvious. It's a British thing.
We don't need to explain our jokes to people over here or be forceably slapstick for anyone to get it.

Last edited:
I have a 5G Samsung already, I also have an Xbox, so can I have this already for taking to work with me?

Latest Posts

Back