Xenos Vs RSX from ATI

• Thread starter cobragt
  • 6 comments
Damn, I hope they stop wasting thier time with this backwards compatibility crap. I dont want it and Id rather see them invest time in other areas of the console's development.

It should be.
But Sony are saying that they have developed (together with nVidia) simillar software to Microsoft's XNA wich should make programming much easier.

Several developers also claim that it's rather easy to program for the PS3 so it's looking good for Sony.

Black95Z28
So is PS3 going to be difficult to program for? :/

Basically yes, because it is not built like in a normal computer setup it makes programming alot harder......this was one of the reasons why Sony cancelled the developers meeting a while ago which was when everyone thought that they would get a glimpse of the PS3. However I believe its now sorted with easier to use development software thanks to Sony.

Funnily enough the PS2 had the same problem.....Sony insist of creating machines which are not of a standard nature, the emotion engine setup was like nothing ever seen before! The Xbox, Gamecube and also the 360 are based on a standard PC setup with a CPU, a GPU and RAM making programming like programming a PC game......the PS2 like the PS3 has an unsual shared nature between the CPU and GPU......

Some more info on the PS2's odd setup......

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/ee.ars/1

I dont think the ps3 will just be hard to develop for but the 360 will be easier. Look at what Epic did with the unreal 3 engine in 2 months on the ps3

I think this is all incredibly funny, actually.

Of course ATI is going to say their chip is better. Do you really think they'll openly admit that their competition has superior technology? Of course not. And naturally, they're going to say that backwards compatibility is going to be easy to accomplish. That's what the XB fanboys want to hear.

I like the excuses they make, though.. while the ATI/NVidia problem is accurate, they're making a far bigger deal about it than it needs to be. I didn't see those problems on the PS2, and it seems the PS3 will be fully compatible right ouf of the box, without having to recode the emulation for individual games. Even though, contrary to what ATI and MS will tell you, Sony has the SAME PROBLEM with backwards compatibility... and yet they've found a way around it.

Back