XSquare's Gallery of (Mostly) Rotaries [Newest: 3/11/20 Countach 25th Anniversary]

Singapore
Singapore
XSquareStickIt
XSquare's Gallery of (Mostly) Rotaries!

Hello all. I shoot photos in GTS as a hobby. Probably nothing too special here, and certainly not very professional. Figured it was better to open my own gallery than to hope for someone to open a "Manufacturer X Photos" thread, heh.

Here are some quick links to jump to a certain collection of photos.

Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A - daily
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R "Sakura FD"
Mazda RX-7 GT-X
RE Amemiya Boost Up 7
Mazda's Gr. 3 Cars Review
Eunos Roadster NA Special Package (NA)
Mazda Roadster S (ND)
Mazda Atenza Gr.3 "Magikarp x Hiroshima Carp Atenza Gr.3"
Honda NSX (NA1, NA2)
Epson NSX Review
Lexus RC F GT3 "Kozukata Yuuri"
Porsche 911 Carrera RS Club Sport (993)
Dodge Viper GTS (SR II)

(coming soon!)
Dodge Viper GT3-R (VX I)
Ford F-150 SVT Raptor "Camo Truck"
Others

Last edited:
Mazda RX-7 Spirit R Type A
Last Update: 17/7/19

My main car in GTS, though severely neutered and crippled with the transition from GT6 to GTS. Most glaringly, it lost its optional 6 speed gearbox, lacks any aero enhancements, and cannot receive chassis strengthening, all of which are the first steps to tuning any RX-7, in my opinion. Nevertheless, it looks nothing short of spectacular in GTS' graphics, and I've slathered mine with decals to set it apart from others while being uniquely "me" (even if it destroys the look of the car shut up!). To date I've clocked over 8000km on it in spite of these flaws, and wistfully await a major update and overhaul to the customisation of GTS to realise this beautiful beast's true potential.

GT Sport's physics are almost like a woman's... monthlies, shall we say. It's impossible to create a tune and have it behavior stick across updates, so I've given up on my "main" blue FD and instead resorted to driving around a stock blue FD... yes, I have multiple. It's Gran Turismo after all, not NFS!

Yikes! This is why I get uneasy even when thinking about lowering a virtual car. This FD is entirely stock, with factory spring rates and ride height. It looks just about ready to kiss the carousel even then. Now if only I could run absurd spring rates like 18kg/mm like real life tuners do......

See, another reason why I dislike Scapes in this game is because the steering wheel doesn't rotate past 180 degrees, which is about 7 degrees of rotation of the front wheels. You can steer the front wheels up to about 25 degrees, so it creates a visual disconnect between the front wheels and the steering wheel. I know it's a minor quip but uuuurgh I can't unsee it once I've seen it, you know?

Used to be that the steering wheel didn't even TURN with the wheels in previous games during Photo Travel, so... progress, I guess?

A family of competitors.

Last edited:
Mazda RX-7 GT-X (FC)
(Updated 17/7/19)

Unpopular opinion: as big a fan of Mazda and their Rotary Sports Cars as I am, I find it very difficult to love the 2nd generation of RX-7s, chassis code "FC3S". It has appalling and downright scary/ dangerous handling characteristics by today's standards, with slim 205mm tyres all four corners, a weak chassis that can even feel overwhelmed by the stock 200HP, a super soft suspension, and more ride height clearance than planes. Aesthetically it borrows heavily from the Porsche 924, which directly contradicts Mazda's usual claim to fame: their creativity and looking at things differently. It has a lopsided 54/46 F/R mass distribution in spite of being a Rotary Engined car which boasts a light engine up front, and for a Rotary Engined car it doesn't even make most of its torque up high. It also has the aerodynamic properties of Swiss cheese.

Here's me trying my darndest best to love the FC.

FC in the snow would be both tranquil and horrifying at the same time.

With the 1.39 update to Scapes introducing a new category of Scapes, this one scene I don't seem to remember being in the game prior to 1.39. Heck, I still can't find it even in the "Snow" Selection. I would've put a normal family car further back partially obscured by the FC, but Scapes being what they are, OF COURSE I couldn't do that. Urgh.

Last edited:
Mazda RX-7 "Sakura FD"
Livery Download Here.

My first, and so far only attempt at a full racing car livery (because I'm lazy and artistically impaired). The design of this livery is heavily based off of Need for Speed World's Sakura livery (because I'm artistically impaired).

The FD RX-7 has been love at first sight for me ever since I played GT1 as a kid, and it arguably shaped the way I see and think about cars, maybe even my personality. I believe sports cars should be selfish, uncompromising, and idealistic. The styling of a sports car should also blend "hard" aggression with "soft" beauty, which is epitomised by the FD RX-7. With all the crazy tuners of Japan taking their RX-7s to setting track records with gigantic, aesthetically destructive aero parts, I wanted to try taking the FD in the opposite direction and experiment with a more feminine approach. As such, I tried very hard in this livery's design to not break, but complement the natural lines and curves of the FD. The FD is one of the very few cars that could get away with pink, and being a Japanese sports car, it just lent itself well to a Sakura (cherry blossom) themed livery. I imagine this could be a car to parade around or be used in public appearances to drum up support for if and when another big disaster hits Japan.

(as you can probably tell I haven't driven this thing much...)

Last edited:
Mazda Roadster S (ND)

My first purchase in GTS at launch - a Soul Red Premium Metallic Mazda Roadster S. It... has been crashed a lot as I struggled to wrap my head around the HORRENDOUS tyre model and force feedback of GTS at launch. As such, in spite of how drop dead gorgeous it looks, looking at it reminds me of a pretty bad time in my life. I've tuned it up to the peak of N100.

Magikarp x Hiroshima Carp Mazda Atenza Gr.3

Livery Download

My profile has :MOST: of the custom decals used in this livery as well. If you see something that isn't there, feel free to request that I share it!

I don't do full racing liveries often, but when I do, HOT DAAAARN am I proud of them or what? This here is perhaps the one I'm the proudest of, even moreso than the Sakura FD I did eons ago: a Magikarp Atenza Gr.3!

Top view.

I initially had a LOT of trouble coming up with a livery of any sort for this car, because while it is a stunning looking car in production guise, in the world of racing cars it's like trying to put makeup and bikinis on pregnant women to try to get them to out appeal full fledged models, you know? A sedan is just never out to out appeal full fledged racecars like the Viper or Huracán, you know?

Front view.

Another reason why I had such difficulty in creating a livery for this car was because I wanted to keep Mazda's flagship colour, Soul Red Premium Metallic, on the car. Being a high contrast, deep colour that is astonishing to behold in real life, it creates a lot of dark areas in the car's body, so small decals tend to get lost in the paint. I... tend to do small decals.

Rear view.

The reason why I suddenly decided to try my hand at a Magikarp themed Atenza was because I was new to online racing and also struggling with this car in races, being a Front Engined, Front Wheel Drive car in production guise, with an optional AWD, and then converted into RWD by Polyphony Digital for Group 3 racing... it's nothing short of a mess. It has no weight over its rear tyres, especially in low speed corners. The engine, being based off a diesel sedan engine, has nothing up top, and somehow even less down low, with torque SPIKING in the mid range, making for some hairy corner exits. Being so front heavy it chews through its front tyres mercilessly, and has no weight over the rear to put power down at all so THOSE burn up with excessive spinning too. Not to mention, you know, it has high drag and cg for being a sedan.

Being new to online racing and trying to drive a rather stupid car, that was when I decided, you know, if I'm going to fail, I am going to put all my commitment and passion into failing! Hence why the idea of a Magikarp livery came to me. I mean, I COULD just go drive something else, but winning is overrated.

Right view. Perhaps it's FIA regulations, but I kinda dislike how the Atenza, in spite of being a Japanese car, has its steering wheel swapped to being a Left Hand Drive car. I'm more used to right, and quite honestly it's not a big deal but LET ME WHINE FOR A BIT OKAY.

While most of my cars are largely symmertrical in design, this one has a few differences from left to right. For now, I just want to point out the Magikarp on this end is actually a Ditto! I traced the Magikarp by hand from Sugimori Ken's official artwork, and then custom made a derpy Ditto face for it JUST for this car.

Bonnet close up. There is a 500 Poké Dollar price tag on it, the price to buy a Magikarp in the Kanto games.

I'm usually terrible with accent stripes or whatever those lines that follow a car body's creases are called, but I'm slowly starting to learn the nooks and crannies of the game's livery editor... you know, more than a full year of playing the game later.

My usual problems with Mazda decals remain: that they don't seem to have high quality pngs of their own darn logos online, so I have to take crappy, lossy, blurry JPEGS and guesstimate from there, and do a lot of painful manual tracing/ editing of the svg file. The MZ Racing one was a particularly painful one because it's oddly obscure for an official Mazda Motorsports arm.

Moving more towards the front is perhaps the most irritating tow hook in the history of motorsports. If you know me, I love to put my own custom "TOW!" decals with an arrow pointing to the tow hook. With the Atenza, the front bumper has been bored out to within a toothpick's width for maximum air intake, which I can't blame PD for doing, but it leaves me NO space to put any decals.

So I made a derpy Magikarp face with what space I had, so now when the car is being towed it looks like a fisherman caught a Magikarp!

Orange accents on the wheels and side mirrors, to mirror Magikarp's colour scheme. It's only when I decided to do a livery based on Pokémon do I realise just how well designed each of them are; even when their general theme is borrowed for something completely unrelated, like racing cars, their basic design elements still find a way to shine and exude personality. For example, how well red and gold go together for that auspicious look, those derpy eyes that are so simple yet work so, SO well, etc..

Showing off a copyright notice by Game Freak even though I had no reason to. For some reason it just adds so much authenticity to the car.

I also custom made a racing number... thing, using Mazda's official font for the "55". It's going to get covered up by the game's auto generated ones in races that require them, but anywhere else I think my custom one looks better :P

A closer look at the winglet, featuring the Pokémon logo, a Poké Ball, and a Pikachu, mirrored on the opposite end.

I have no idea what the heck this is, but it highly irritates me that they go through where the license plate would be in a production car. I'd have loved to put a license plate on my racing car to further highlight the link and similarities between road and race cars, and I could even have done something neat like try a Mazda license plate but NOOOOO this stupid thing had to be there.

So I took the space to credit myself for this livery, and made the license plate into a Nintendo Switch.

While I usually have my own custom "TOW!" decals for my car, they would clash with the Pokémon theme of this car, so I had to make a custom one for Pokémon. Wasn't hard to find a font generator online for the Pokémon font, actually, in contrast to freaking Mazda logos and fonts.

A small detail on the rear diffuser is that the entire diffuser is carbon fibre, but painted white, with the vertical bits in bare carbon, to mimic the colour scheme on the tail fin of Magikarp.

Another annoyance I encountered during design is that the fuel intake was right where the rear right window would be on the road car. This meant that I couldn't mirror my design on the left of the car onto the right because they'd be broken up by the fuel intake, so I had to do an impromptu Google search on what a baseball looks like (hey we Singaporeans aren't big on baseball okay?!) and do a rather poor mock up of a baseball for the Hiroshima Carp logo man to smack.

Top view. The Magikarp is actually traced from the 3D model of Magikarp in the 3DS Pokémon games. In those games, Magikarp usually flops about helplessly on its side, but when rotated it actually looks pretty energetic, as though leaping into the air from underwater!

Also, all 28 Poké Balls, traced from their 2D sprites in the main series games, are featured here! I've always been a Poké Ball collector in the games, not sure why they always fascinate me so, so here's my nerd side spilling out XD

The rear window of the road going car has been swapped out for a solid, opaque piece, presumably for structural rigidity improvements. What's fun/ annoying about this, depending on when you ask me, is that you get a whole new surface to decorate with decals. So I made a waterfall with a Mega Evolving Gyarados with every sprite of Magikarp from Red/Blue/Yellow up to DPPtHGSS exploding away from it.

Front fender view. I had initially wanted to copy my Atenza Gr.4 design over to the Gr.3 car, but the extended fenders of the Gr.3 car kinda makes it impossible. I was spiting this fat, ugly, fender, which somehow gave me the inspiration to make it into the side fins of Magikarp. Interestingly, the daytime running lights on the front fender has a black bit that extends the black lines of the fins!

The chrome bits on the front grille wasn't supposed to be carbon fibre, but I can't make the front lip CF without the decal spilling over to the grille, so I had to make them both CF.

Hey, doesn't ever hurt to have CF on your car, right? Except when they stiffen the crumple zone of a car and end up killing you in a crash, maybe?

Front 3/4 view.

Rear 3/4 view.

A family of competitors.

Gran Turismo - The Real Unblock Me Simulator.

Flipping Scapes. They allow for 3 cars per scene but can barely fit ONE.

Last edited:
Honda NSX (NA1, NA2)
(Updated 17/7/19)

I never thought we'd ever get the "real" NSX in Gran Turismo Sport, let alone two of them! (even though they're both garbage competitively but that aside...) The NSX is a car I always spend most of my time driving instead of shooting because it's just that darn good, but every time I fool around in Scapes, they prove to be surprisingly photogenic as well, and once I get started I end up spending hours on it. Such is the beauty of the original NSX.

My very poor attempt at recreating Estoril Turquoise Pearl on the NA1 NSX. While I love the Type R, I kinda wish we had the 97-00 NSX as well, because I'm a fan of pop up headlights, and the 6 speed, bored out 3.2 V6 is sorely missed. I mean, I wish we had the NA2 Type R as well, AND the NSX-R GT, but I know when I'm asking for too much, *sigh*

I legit CANNOT get enough of the NA howl of the NA2 NSX-R GT. So much so that I'd drive a GT500 car around Bathurst... with GT AI :scared:

Last edited:
Lexus RC-F GT3
(Updated 1/3/19)​

「人生は時にはコーヒー1杯の温かさの問題」
"Life's problems can all be settled with the warmth of a cup of coffee"
-Intersect by Lexus, Toukyo

My first attempt at an "Itasha", or just simply a car design featuring Japanese animation characters. This livery is my first attempt at an "Itasha", a term the Japanese use to describe a car featuring anime characters. The woman I've chosen to feature is Kozukata Yuuri, one of the main protagonists of Fatal Frame 5/ Project Zero 5, a horror title released on the Wii U.

So, okay, hear me out on this, okay? The first time I thought to do a Yuuri livery on a racing car was a few weeks back, when we had this Gr. 4 Race at Bathurst at night as the weekly race. Fumbling through the dark mountain roads with nothing but my own headlights to guide me, and feeling pressure from all around me, it really reminded me of how I felt when I watched a Fatal Frame 5 playthrough. The yellow lights just somehow reminded me of the warmth of Yuuri, and I thought, "you know, wouldn't it be cool if I made a creepy livery on a racing car? Imagine how the guy behind me would feel when he shines his lights on my car!" But for the longest time I didn't act on it, because a) I HATE having to deal with svg files, and b) I'm artistically impaired as should already be evident by now. I didn't even know what car I'd put a Yuuri livery on, given that most racing cars are just so... loud, brash, in your face, which is the exact opposite of Yuuri.

When choosing a race car to attempt a Yuuri livery on, I decided that so much of the game's appeal and "soul" was Japanese, that, on any non Japanese car, Yuuri would look like a fish out of water. Offerings from Nissan, Toyota, Honda, the GT-R, the Supra, and the NSX are so... in your face aggressive, it didn't suit Yuuri at all. I wound up going with Lexus and their RC-F because it's a car I feel that looks comparatively modest, and retains some soft, feminine lines in its design even in race spec. Still, it was somewhat inconceivable to do a Yuuri livery on a racing car, because racing car bodies are real estate, to be drowned in as many sponsorship decals as possible, resulting in rather "shouty" looking cars, which I guess is the point. But what I had in mind was... a quieter livery. I think I managed to make the car "pop" with sponsorship decals while at the same time not being too obnoxious with it.

This one took me about a week to do, and I have never felt like killing myself after looking at a livery design I made, but hey, there's a first for everything, right?

Front view. The orange/ white/ black colour scheme on the front bumper area is meant to recreate Yuuri's clothes when viewed from the front, with the fender vents on the bonnet being her bare shoulders.

Rear view. The writing on the bottom of the wing, 「私は治りました…」, roughly translating to, "I'm cured", or as the English localisation team translates it, "I'm not sick anymore", is a really striking line uttered by Yuuri repeatedly in the game, and I wanted it to be in a rather discreet, yet obvious place to creep people out.

Front 3/4 view. The left side of the car features a (very poor recreation of) Fatal Frame 5's logo, along with Yuri Kozukata written in Romanji.

Rear 3/4 view. The right side of the car features Yuuri's name in both Kanji and Katakana, as featured in the game. I chose the right side because Japanese cars are right hand drive.

Top view, where I've credited myself for the livery.

「人生は時にはコーヒー1杯の温かさの問題」, a rather difficult line to translate, is translated as "Sometimes a cup of coffee can make all the difference." by the localisation team, is one of the very few happier lines by Yuuri in the game. I had originally planned something darker and creepier to take the place of this banner, with multiple creepy, painful lines crossing over and overlapping each other, but in the end, I decided that I like Yuuri way too much to want to see her sad again, so I went with the coffee quote in a happier orange.

A closer look at the rear license plate. This being a racing car of course it didn't come with one, but, happily, the spot where the license plate would be on a road car is completely undisturbed on this race car, making it easy to plop in a decal of a license plate. Here, the view from the Camera Obscura is overlain onto the license plate, which reads "Kurosawa". "Kurosawa" doesn't appear on license plates in Japan, meaning that the font normally used for license plates doesn't have the character set for 「黒澤」. Hence, I've had to substitute it for the game's font. "3xx" is designating the car's size, and the "19" that follows is Yuuri's age when the events of the game takes place. "Ko" is chosen for the Hiragana because "Kurosawa's Antiques" is "Kottou・Kissa Kurosawa" (Antiques, Coffee, Kurosawa) in Japanese. Finally, 02-02 is chosen for the numbers because Yuuri's room is on the second floor of Kurosawa's Antiques, and she sleeps in a room that used to be Kurosawa's.

"Tow" written in the Calligraphic font used in the English versions of the game. The arrow pointing to the tow strap is actually those... things... that appear at the edges of a screen to inform you of an item's location that's offscreen. People who play First Person Shooters know what I'm talking about, right? When these red things appear at the edges of the screen when you get shot from the side or behind?

A ZF logo I took the liberty to modify into the shape of the ZR button on the Wii U. The game displays the ZR button to prompt you to pick things up in the game, though it usually appears on the bottom right of the screen. The bottom left of the rear bumper is already taken up by the Tow decals, so I've had to put this on the left instead.

The Winglet features a SARD decal, long time supplier of Toyota's racing efforts, most famously on their Supras in the early 2000s. The winglet's design mimics that of Yuuri's notebook/ diary, hence the lines and the stenciled "NOTEBOOK" font on the left.

Bonnet view, featuring (most of) the game's Japanese logo. I really could not be bothered to trace the drowning woman that serves as the backdrop to the Kanji character, because every time I use Inkscape I get so frustrated I feel like I could kill somebody, and Gran Turismo Sport's primitive, restrictive requirements for svg files really don't help. Heck, this entire livery is a harsh lesson for the perfectionist me in setting goals, managing expectations, and striking a balance between practicality and lofty dreams. I butchered just about every asset of the game I put on this car because this game's phenomenal art style really doesn't lend itself well to being converted to svg format, not to mention I'm hardly a tech geek myself, which is why it took me so long to convince myself to just be proud that I created something in the first place, and share it.

A very kiddy looking Camera Obscura, one of the two main things that make me ashamed to share this livery. It... looks like something a 3 year old kid put together and UUURGH.

The rounded racing number goes where the lens normally goes, with 19 being the number chosen because Yuuri is 19 when the events of the game takes place. Of course, in actual races, you're almost never going to see this design of racing number applied, nor will I be guaranteed to be 19th in the lobby, but hey, it's a nice detail, RIGHT?

I also love how coincidentally the "F" logo on the RC-F lines up on the top corner of the Camera Obscura, making it look like an F branded camera.

Reason number 2 of why I'm so ashamed of this livery looking at it makes me want to jump off a cliff. With how retarded GTS is with handling svg files, it almost doesn't accept ANY gradients at all, meaning it's hella difficult to shade in characters. Of course, with certain art styles of anime, that's not a terribly huge issue; especially the ones that only have 2 colours, but Fatal Frame is so beautiful and so... not this and... URGH. I WANT TO PUKE.

Front tow hook, this time written in Kanji and utilising a red... reticle? Is that what those things are called? The "Ganbarou Nihon" decal above the Lexus logo is to mimic the red ornament she has at her chest level that holds her orange... clothes... together...?

Also, COINCIDENTALLY, Yuuri's breasts land on the flared side skirts of the car, making her boobs pop out on their own. I DID NOT PLAN THIS. I AM NOT THAT LEWD (okay maybe I am BUT THIS ISN'T WHY I LIKE YUURI OKAY?!)

I brought it out on a quick spin on Suzuka a few weeks back right after completing the design. If you think I'm a horrible artist, wait until you watch me drive!

Last edited:
Eunos Roadster NA Special Package

YES! The NA Roadster is back! Now we just need the NB and NC Roadsters, and the family will be fully assembled! Still feels a little odd to not have a million variants of each generation of Roadsters, but we're slowly getting there, aren't we? ;)

Colour splash! I tried recreating one of my favourite colours that came on the NA Roadster, "Sparkling Green Metallic". With the reintroduction of the NA Roadster to the franchise, I was finally able to accurately match the paint of "Classic Red", and slap it on an ND Roadster, replicating the special edition ND Roadster released by Mazda in 2017 in Classic Red.

Hmm... what to buy...

NA Roadster, FD RX-7.

Story time: while I slapped a license plate on this Titanium Grey Metallic Spirit R RX-7, I never really drove it, or even brought it out for photo shoots until now. The license plate is meant to thank the person with a stock Spirit R RX-7, in Titanium Grey, who was super friendly when I met him all the way back in 2015's RX-7 meet in Daikoku Futou. Back then I didn't even have a driving license, and took a cab into the industrial reclaimed island, with no access by foot. 'course, I wound up stuck there once the time came to leave, since, you know, taxis don't really GO there to pick up passengers, being an industrial area and all. Since I was already all chatty with this RX-7 owner, I asked if there were any other way out of the freaking place... nope. I mean, he did what he could, he wrote down a taxi company's number on a piece of paper and handed it to me, leading to the most awkward phone call in all of recorded human history. But it was a moment I'd never forget for being so amazed, embarrassed, envious, impressed... etc..

The number plate is an exact replica of his, though the last two numbers are swapped out for "39", pronounced "san kyu" in Japanese, which is exactly how "thank you" is also pronounced in Japanese.

Oil pressure gauge, because RACECAR.

I'm happy and angry at the same time to report that the oil pressure gauge functions correctly in the car. Happy because it, well, works, but angry because if they can get the oil pressure gauge to work WHY CAN'T THEY GET THE BOOST PRESSURE GAUGE TO WORK PROPERLY ON THE FD.

17-6-19 Randomness

*Sigh* I don't know if it's typical depression symptoms, or if the game is so genuinely not fun anymore, but I've had a LONG layoff from GTS. Here's a few shots from me re-learning how to drive and shoot again.

I know all of these shots belong in earlier posts but let me bump my topic okay is it so awful to want some attention?!

I legit CANNOT get enough of the NA howl of the NA2 NSX-R GT. So much so that I'd drive a GT500 car around Bathurst... with GT AI :scared:

FC in the snow would be both tranquil and horrifying at the same time.

With the 1.39 update to Scapes introducing a new category of Scapes, this one scene I don't seem to remember being in the game prior to 1.39. Heck, I still can't find it even in the "Snow" Selection. I would've put a normal family car further back partially obscured by the FC, but Scapes being what they are, OF COURSE I couldn't do that. Urgh.

GT Sport's physics are almost like a woman's... monthlies, shall we say. It's impossible to create a tune and have it behavior stick across updates, so I've given up on my "main" blue FD and instead resorted to driving around a stock blue FD... yes, I have multiple. It's Gran Turismo after all, not NFS!

Yikes! This is why I get uneasy even when thinking about lowering a virtual car. This FD is entirely stock, with factory spring rates and ride height. It looks just about ready to kiss the carousel even then. Now if only I could run absurd spring rates like 18kg/mm like real life tuners do......

See, another reason why I dislike Scapes in this game is because the steering wheel doesn't rotate past 180 degrees, which is about 7 degrees of rotation of the front wheels. You can steer the front wheels up to about 25 degrees, so it creates a visual disconnect between the front wheels and the steering wheel. I know it's a minor quip but uuuurgh I can't unsee it once I've seen it, you know?

Used to be that the steering wheel didn't even TURN with the wheels in previous games during Photo Travel, so... progress, I guess?

A family of competitors.

Sardegna

1992 NSX-R at the newly added Sardegna Road Course. Sardegna brought back something to GT Sport that it had been lacking before, yet I can't quite place my finger on what exactly makes this track so beloved by many, myself included.

Interestingly, all 3 layouts of Sardegna Road Course share the same home straight and pits. I dislike pits that dump cars right onto the racing line, though...

Some photos shoot themselves. This one certainly did, but even then, I think I spent like 10 minutes fiddling with sliders to make it look JUUUUST right.

It's truly been a long time ever since I've felt my powerless Japanese crapboxes gain so much speed on a downhill. Perhaps that's what Sardegna brings to GT Sport that it had been missing: bumpy, hilly, tight circuits that I enjoy so much, yet is still wide and smooth enough to run racing cars on.

Man if only all these eco friendly windmills made my gas any cheaper huh.

The last corner of Sardegna Layout A before the slight right kink onto the home straight. This corner almost has a hypnotic way to lull drivers into thinking that the corner is further than it really is, baiting late braking mistakes easily. It's not just me coming up with racing driver excuses, either; one of the competitors in a 3 way battle for the lead on the last lap of the Gran Turismo World Tour braked late and smashed into this wall shown here in one heck of a nail biter race.

At first, I thought this half wrecked wall was put in as a cheeky nod to that race from PD. But, watching that race back, I realised that this wall was already half wrecked in the World Tour premiere of this track, which makes me think PD has a way of playing with our perception and making corners seem farther than they are... okay ignore me and my crappy creepypasta sorry for wasting your time.

Gran Turismo Sport is as annoying as the ocean is wet, but even so, I find myself enchanted by it all the same, perhaps even moreso than the previous titles. The game has a sort of quiet charisma I can't quite put into words, but every time I boot up a GT game, I feel like I'm immersing myself into another world, being taken along for a ride, be it reading about cars from one make that spans 50 years, or even learning how to do SVG files to make my own liveries.

And while I'm still one of the worst drivers in the game to play frequently, I'm glad that even someone like me is catered for, as even I, with my crappy driving, can find close, competitive races and do photo shoots like these. Thank you PD, thank you Kaz.

MIDGET GR.3 RACE CAR MAKE IT HAPPEN KAZ.

So I heard this thing is good at rallying.

Apparently, you need skill to make a good car run well. Here's me attempting to rally a 40-ish year old MR car on factory settings and no ABS.

It didn't go well.

You know what's the good thing about photos? You can make even the worst of driving look cool :)

Is it just me, or are Dirt tyres in GT Sport way too grippy? It's very difficult for me to provoke a slide in any car on corner entry in comparison to the previous titles, and even when I get a car sideways, there just doesn't seem to be any way to hold a slide; the tyres are so grippy that any counter steer corrects the car. There doesn't seem to be a mid-ground at all to hold a slide. Then again, I'm no professional driver, so who knows.

Last edited:
Rain Bull Ring

Rain is here! Rain is here! ...oh, wait, I'm late in posting this, and now everybody's losing their minds over Spa? O-okay...

Wet runway!

And here I thought I was the only one insane enough to race GT500 machines with Real grip settings. I chanced upon a Japanese lobby and had this rather entertaining race.

WHY DON'T BACKFIRES LOOK CORRECT IN SPEEDING SHOTS.

As if these GT500 machines aren't legalised death traps on their own, now we're sliding them around in the wet on a track they weren't made to race on!

My first attempt at a bokeh photo in GTS. Haven't had much bokeh worthy situations in the game thus far, and even calling this shot a bokeh is a bit of a stretch.

I know rain is notoriously difficult to simulate correctly on both the graphical and physics sides of things, but this shot captures two of the most glaring faults of GTS' rain: Normal racing lines, in comparison to the rest of the track, don't become perilously slippery in the wet like they do in real life, since water and oil don't mix, and rainwater brings the oil from the road and floats it above. Not to mention, parts of the course that are the usual racing lines are usually the most worn parts, a feature that was prominently showcased in wet Nurburgring in previous GT titles. On the graphical side, cars do kick up a lot of rainwater behind them as they should, but the spray doesn't collect on the windscreen if you drive right behind another car, making visibility much better than one would expect.

I think YOU'RE the fake NSX around here! You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good en- I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS!

I think I need to readjust my TV settings again... photos are starting to look too washed out on my laptop screen again *sigh*

With rain officially reintroduced to the series, I can finally flex my MSO windshield wiper!

Le Mans machinery is way too scary in the wet, even with Heavy Wet Tyres. I daresay Group 1 is entirely undriveable if the comparatively weaker, 5 speed 787B is anything to go by.

The Moisturising 1.45 Update

1.45 has GOT to be my favourite update in this game's 2 year-ish life thus far. I legitimately could not stop playing the game; and even when I did stop, it was to create more decals, or to think of what else I could do next. The Camaro ZL1 1LE was a rather unexpected addition, and a huge blast to hoon around. One thing kept leading to another as I played on and on, experimenting with the redone tyre models, which I have to say are a HUGE improvement over what is seemingly a joke by comparison, the previous tyre models. For the first time since the game's launch, I finally felt confident in a car. I finally felt like I could trust and know a car. And I had some of the most scenic locations, both race and Scapes, to try them out on.

Aged eyes of the Evolution.

I keep telling myself I'd stop reusing this comp whenever I'm in Toukyo Central Outer Loop, but then these photos keep shooting themselves. It's not my fault, y'all.

Ill intentions snaking through the urban streets.

Toukyo sightseeing express!

I JUST REALISED THAT THE BOOST GAUGE DOESN'T WORK IN THE FC, LIKE, AT ALL. In the FD, it semi worked, because at least it could go between no boost and full boost, but this one in the FC legitimately does NOT move at all!

Help my windshield wipers are stuck lol.

A brief respite.

Industrial Japan.

Uphill braking is usually easier because the hill helps slow your car down. Duh, right? But, in the wet without ABS, braking on the uphill, especially without ABS, poses a significant risk of locking up your front wheels due to the weight of the car being more concentrated on the rear than usual. Of course, you could just not be an idiot and set your brake balance to something less extreme than what I have, or... you know... just drive with ABS like a normal person.

Granted I'm not even AT the uphill section of the braking zone yet but shut up and let me sound smart for a bit.

Toyota: We DoN't WaNt OuR cArS iN gAmEs ThAt PrOmOtE iLlEgAl StReEt RaCiNg

Other manufacturers: lol.

As overjoyed as I am that Toukyo is one of the very few locations blessed with nights and rain from the gods above, I can't help but to lament how odd light reflections look on the wet night roads. I mean, you can't look at this and tell me this looks right. You just can't. At a standstill, they look breathtaking. I think it's something wrong with how the game processes a panning shot at speed that makes the reflected lights look... so... grainy.

Still, hot darn. I love the ZL1 1LE. With the same engine as a C7 Z06 'Vette, I can't help but to lust for an actual C7 Z06, or even a ZR1. Let me tell you, that supercharger isn't shy about expressing its views of FREEDOM!

Cops are human too: the photo.

My lobbies have trouble attracting people. I don't know why. I started a lobby with my own settings so that I can shoot my GT-R Safety Car in the wet Toukyo with other cars, since the Single Player mode is STUPID in this game and won't allow it. So when this guy waited for about five minutes for me to conclude a previous "race" to start a photo shoot, I was so, so happy. He was even a great sport too, maintaining my GT-R's pace even though his supercharged LT4 Camaro would've eaten my GT-R alive, and pulling off spectacular drifts. Zep, hats off to you my man. Thanks for being a sport.

Red hot temper, I refuse to hold back anymore.

Trying to replicate a rather tonally dull shot that got me some measure of recognition back in GT6. Though, with how much GTS' camera lets you do, it's difficult to not get a little overboard, eheh.

This location was introduced in Ver. 1.45, and this handful of Scape scenes actually wet your car to go with the surroundings, in stark contrast to the dirt and snow Scapes scenes that leave your car looking showroom fresh whilst plopped in the middle of a blizzard. Still, I am not without my complaints with these wet Scapes; you can't turn on windshield wipers, and I still think the rain is way too light on the car body. Not to mention, there aren't even any raindrops. Shots taken of cars in motion still don't kick up water, which I realise is quite impossible to do in Scapes, but it still ruins the realism. With all this said, this session will probably be my first and last time I shoot in wet Scapes.

I still find it funny/ awkward how some cars don't come with roofs. Okay, fine, Formula Racers, concept cars, and other such weird oddities get a pass, but the poor ND Roadster that's been in the game since launch has no excuse to not have its soft top up rendered, especially given that later convertibles added in subsequent updates, namely its older brother the NA Roadster and its superior nemesis, the S2000, all come with soft top up and down versions.

During gameplay, and in Scapes, the interior of the ND, along with the driver, miraculously stay dry whilst the exterior gets droplets of water on it as per usual.

A mostly recycled comp and settings from the last Roadster shot. All these wet rocks just made me have a hankering to drive a lifted, souped up pickup truck over them, heh.

I was hoping I could achieve those super sped up photos, you know? Where people walk by at ten times their normal speed and leave blurs and afterimages of themselves before an unmoving camera? The crowd in the background of this scene inspired that, but seeing as I can't make people move in this game, I had to settle for another car instead to provide the blur. The end result isn't what I was going for, but I think it stands on its own merit regardless.

I was really surprised to see Malaysia's inclusion in GTS, seeing as... how do I put this... I don't have a good impression of Malaysia, and if Malaysia was going to be included in a racing game, you'd think the Sepang Circuit would be the first thing anyone would include. But, nope, we got a Scapes scene at the exposed parking area at Kuala Lumpur.

American car meet in Kuala Lumpur?!

Spa and Rain EVERYWHERE!

SPA IS HERE, SPA IS HERE!!!

The evening rain setting of Spa I find is a PERFECT match for the Kozukata Yuuri RCF GT3 I designed some time ago, as the character in her own game does have a very heavy emphasis on... er... how do I put this... getting wet. And the orange sun is as breathtaking as is thematically fitting.

Raidillon Eau Rouge. Oh my dear god, how I've missed you and Spa as a whole. While Spa isn't QUITE my favourite racetrack in the world - Bathrust slightly edges out Spa in that regard - Eau Rouge is, without question, my favourite set of corners in the entire world. Not only is it an intense, adrenaline filled test of both man and machine, but Eau Rouge just MAGICALLY produces great photo opportunities, at ANY TIME, with ANY CAR. I LOVE THIS CORNER TO BITS. I LOVE SPA.

In the rain with wet tyres and GT3 cars, you'll need to brake slightly for the uphill right hander, but even then, only a slight dab. Eau Rouge is so magical, I can't even find the right words for it.

Hard braking zone into Bruxelles. Even in the dry, the downhill entry into Bruxelles is surprisingly steep; provoking overspeeding and understeering, not to mention putting insane stress on the front tyres. In the wet, the problem is exacerbated even more, and really makes the driver struggle to find grip. Do you shift brake bias more to the front in attempt to get the front to bite in more? Or shift it more towards the rear and hope you have enough traction on the downhill to properly slow the car down?

Update 1.47 brought us four new cars: a brand spanking new EV Porsche Taycan, a historic, iconic race car in the Red Pig Merc, a properly insane Aventador SV, and... a DJ Demio. Guess which ONE I actually bought, and bought 3 of.

The interior of the Demio was was actually a really pleasant surprise, and it goes to show how much attention to detail PD continues to put into these cars that they're adding into the game, absolutely free of charge. The Demio actually has a working, real time fuel economy readout on the dash, a working trip odometer, a clock on the centre screen, some type of gear selector readout I can't make much sense of, and even an outside ambient temperature readout! Heck, it even has a fully functional HUD! ON AN ENTRY LEVEL HATCH!

Of course, to make these readouts look believable in real life, I had to use 1x fuel consumption, so, yes, I actually drove over a hundred kilometres in a bone stock Demio just to take this ONE shot.

Which reminds me, I've yet to test of the i-stop works on the Demio. Shoot.

This 650S was actually driven by someone quite competent, but got bunched up with zocker and I due to some butt clown whacking him off at Les Combes. I didn't think much about this car and driver until I went about shooting this set of photos, but I very quickly fell in love with this 650S' design, both the livery and the natural shape of the car in general. This one looks inspired by an old fighter plane of some sort in my estimation, what with its flat olive green paintjob and British flag. The design is so simple and minimalistic, yet it does the job so effectively. With battle scars from having been hit face first into the wall, it only sells its aesthetics better, ironically.

From this angle, it looks like zocker is hitting the 650S into a spin, but it was the dirty tyres from Les Combes that caused the 650S to spin. Heck, in trying to avoid the 650S, zocker actually slowed down suddenly in front of me, causing me to hit him.

Yeah, this was a really messy race. Lobby races tend to be pretty ugly, which is a shame. Perhaps it's not so much an inherent problem with the lobby system, but moreso that Sport Mode has raised the bar so high that lobbies look like cesspools in comparison.

A really aggressive move by the McLaren driver (pilot?) into the inside of zocker at No Name. I take this opportunity and follow through with the McLaren, although the Atenza is so disgustingly slow that I couldn't keep my lead going into Pouhon, so I lifted and let the better driver take the ideal line.

Turn 18 is taken flat out in some GT3 cars on the Racing Soft tyres we're running, but what makes it flat is if you push the track limits like zocker here, barely leaving two wheels on the asphalt, which gives you a wider entry into Turn 18. To be fair, zocker does seem to be forced wide by the McLaren, but if it's legal and faster, it is therefore encouraged in the world of motorsports.

THREE WIDE INTO THE FINAL CORNERRRRR!

You can actually watch the full race here:

One weird thing about GTS' rendition of Spa is that they have multiple bollards at the apexes of corners, which is thoroughly confusing, because the bollards are placed WELL within the track limits; for example, I believe you can have two outside wheels on the green part of the rumble strip and still be within track limits, yet the bollards barely allow the inside wheels to ride the rumble strip. Hitting them doesn't earn a penalty either, so I'm really not sure what purpose these serve. It's not like the bollard on Fuji's Coca Cola corner either, where the turn is blind and the bollard marks the apex of the corner.

Dirt tyres are WAY too grippy in this game; I've had to do whack stuff to my Raptor just so it could start a slide on the dirt. No, no I can't hold a slide.

Dawn of the Delta.

I am SO jealous of people who can make convincing vents/ fake body parts on their cars.

Under pressure from the pocket rocket.

Through the WOODS. Haha, get it...? Nevermind.

PD's rendition of what a rally stage in Colorado Springs might look like is a really tantalising aspect, not just as a stage, but as a place to visit and live.

So we tried to make it rain at Route X. We wanted to shoot high powered street cars. We also forgot to put on wet tyres.

And this moron pulls off a drift at 370+km/h in his Aventador SV.

Even in 6th and 7th respectively for my GT-R and my friend's Aventador, AND AWD, we were actually still spinning our wheels the entire course until we reached the 2nd tunnel in Route X which was sheltered from the rain. The tunnel that houses the Start/ Finish line surprisingly isn't sheltered, so rain falls as per usual there.

You know, I could've sworn that the Special Stages were based on Japanese expressways, but now that GTS tags each course to a country, I'm surprised to learn that SSRX is actually in America.

Chased up Eau Rouge by a Taycan.

I can't get this shot to look right.

DJ Demio, 6 TCR, and Other Random Unrelated Crap

Let's be honest: even a Mazda fanboy like me can't pretend that the Atenza is a good looking car, at least, in the context of Gran Turismo and its GT3 and GT4 focused gameplay. As a sedan, it is one of the most gorgeous, but as a racing machine? It's like trying to stretch a bikini around a pregnant woman to try to get her to look pretty; it's just never gonna work. It's never going to look as appealing as the bona fide supercars, like the Vipers, the 458s, the Corvettes, etc..

For the longest time, I didn't have a Atenza Gr. 4 livery I was happy to show off. Thankfully however, Mazda recently just revealed the Mazda3 TCR, which sports a very basic design. On its own, the design isn't anything special, but being able to say that this livery is a replica of a real life racecar lends it some credence and appeal, don't you think? Funny how our brains work.

I know I didn't shoot many photos of it despite liking it a lot due to my own bias as the creator, but I think a straightforward, simplistic shoot is the best way to represent and show off a straightforward, simplistic, minimalist design, no?

(That's just my marketing gibberish for, "I'm artistically impaired okay leave me alone")

DJ Demio

I'm probably the happiest guy in the player base of GTS when PD introduced the DJ generation of the Mazda Demio into the game. The Demio has heavy sentimental value to me as it was the first, and so far only car I've ever had the privilege of driving in Japan three years ago, albeit that was the prior generation, DE Demio... and it was an automatic... and it was stuck in its Eco mode and I couldn't figu- *cough* ANYWAY, I replicated the number plate of the DE Demio I rented in Japan and slapped it onto a Grey DJ. Did you know that Japanese license plates have special characters set aside to designate rental cars? That way, it's easy for other motorists to tell when someone may be unfamiliar behind the wheel.

I don't know if it's just me being a fanboy, but Mazda's Greys are simply amazing to behold, not just on the cars they were meant to go with, but for other applications as well. Fun fact: Meteor Grey Mica is actually the wheel colour of my FD RX-7 in this game.

I rented the Demio three years ago to attend the annual RX-7 gathering at Daikoku Futou, a reclaimed, industrial island in Yokohama. It's highly distinctive both in its design, what with its endlessly spiraling ribbons of roads with a rest stop/ Parking Area nestled in the middle of it all, and also because it is a well known gathering place for car enthusiasts. I was so elated to find Daikoku Futou's inclusion in GTS, even if just as Scapes, that my first few photos were shot there. Now I have a Demio to plop here as well. I actually love the Demio not just for its striking, distinctive, and beautiful design, but also because it blends in so well in the background as normal traffic in Scapes: something I feel is sorely lacking in this E Sports focused title.

Unrelated Crap:

It would have been two posts in a row without a photo of a Rotary, so this shot is here to preserve my own sanity. I mean, my entire freaking existence is random crap that doesn't relate to anybod- OKAY JUST ENJOY THE PHOTO.

Update 17/2/19: REturning Amemiya
Spoiler alert: I'm a fan of Mazda Rotary sports cars.

A car that has been on my wishlist of cars to appear in Gran Turismo Sport was the RE Amemiya μ過給圧上昇7, or the... uh... *checks Google translate* the Micro Boost Pressure Up 7. This thing.

The FD generation Mazda RX-7 is already on its own one of the finest handling, best looking sports car to ever see mass production, in my obviously biased opinion. However, as with most automotive fairy tales, the legend is only half in the machine, with the other half being in the culture it inspired, the competition it bred, and the memories it created for those lucky enough to be able to own one. That is to say, it's impossible to think of RX-7s without mentioning the still thriving aftermarket support for it; no surprise given how great a base for a performance car it is fresh from the factory: lightweight, low slung, low drag, wide spread 2 door body with a perfect 50/50 mass distribution, and a rev happy, compact engine up front driving the rear wheels.

And if one were to think of Rotary specialists in the aftermarket, most will, for good reason, first think of RE Amemiya. Founded by Isami Amemiya, the living legend has modified and raced his own Rotary Engine powered monstrosities in Yatabe, D1GP, and even GT300, and remains active to this day, still coming up with bespoke designs and wild concepts. The 2006 Micro Boost Pressure Up 7 that was last seen in Gran Turismo 6 however, is still by far my favourite FD ever. It retains the flowing, beautiful, natural curves and evocative shape of the FD, yet sports prominent aero parts that are not only fully functional, but seem to build off and further accentuate the pre-existing lines of the FD, instead of destroying them in the name of performance.

I fully admit I am biased, but I wholly believe that this is the sort of principle all aftermarket cars should aspire to, almost as though this car was some sort of tuning bible. So beautiful and so inextricably intertwined into Japanese car culture is this FD, that it looks equally at home in a bustling metropolitan city as it does an isolated mountain pass.

If I had the means to own an FD, I would spec it out EXACTLY like this one, aside from a few nitpicks. First off, I'd retain the pop up headlights, because, come on man, pop up headlights!

Aside from that, a pet peeve of mine is when cars don't come with a third brake light in the middle, or is somehow removed by the owner when de-winging their cars. Even the rear light cluster cover wasn't spared by RE Amemiya in the modification process, and is also a bespoke part, that's been pulled out to act as a small ducktail spoiler. I'm a massive fan of the part, but I really wish it kept the transparency and the middle brake light the stock FD had.

The in-game description of the Micro Boost Pr- look, can I just call it the Boost Up 7 from here on out? The Boost Up 7's in game description is surprisingly modest about the extensive list of changes this FD underwent to become to "Demon Lord of Mountain Passes", yet, I think it's a car that does all the speaking it needs to when you get behind the wheel. Aside from the visible aerodynamic parts, the car's chassis has been stiffened to confidence inspiring levels. The car's suspension was stiffed to more than three times its stock value, at around 18kg/mm, and visibly lowered. 5th and final gear ratios have been stretched out, though the car still retains a 5 speed manual, resulting in long gearing that is optimal for twisty mountain roads. The already spartan interior of the FD gains a power FC controller, bespoke, larger, more informative boost gauge than the pitiful one in the original that looked like an afterthought, and even a speedometer that doesn't max out mid fourth gear. The smallest details are just as important as the big performance changes: redline has been increased by about 500 to 8,500rpm, and the beeper that reminds drivers to shift up has been recalibrated accordingly to come on at 8,000rpm. It's little things like that that really tell me that this car is designed by and for someone who daily drives these things, which instills confidence beyond words, to me. Though, the last 500rpm has nothing really to offer, and is there moreso for engine braking, or for those pesky situations where you need to upshift, but you're fast approaching a corner. This is the one Rotary Engine car you might actually want to short shift at the stock redline of 8,000rpm, as heretic as it may sound.

Also, real quick: the turbo boost gauge in this car actually works! I am still unbelievably mad that the stock FD RX-7's turbo boost gauge in this game only toggles between full boost and no boost, nothing in between. But, hey, at least the gauge moved. The turbo gauge on the FC DOESN'T EVEN FREAKING WORK. I've lauded PD for their insane attention to detail in their cars, especially in this current generation, but wow, how could you miss something as big as a turbo boost gauge?!

A quick little fun fact: the stock radio unit in the JDM only RX-7 Spirit R is filled with atrocious English, as can be seen below:

Push LOAD buttin
Insert duscs after"IN" is displayed

I was genuinely curious as to whether the Boost Up 7 retained these... er... very charming quirks of the stock FD. The radio in the Boost Up 7 however, appears aftermarket as well. I wonder if Amemiya-san just didn't like the audio quality of the stock radio, or the English? Probably the English. Probably.

Surprisingly to me, this car comes fresh from Brand Central with Sports Hard tyres, down from the Sports Softs in GT6. I'm not sure if grip levels directly correlate from GT6 to GTS, but either way, the car feels most natural with Sport Softs, as though the car was set up with around that grip level in mind. With comfort tyres, um... well...

...you will basically never see your steering wheel straight again, as you adjust counter steering angles several times a second while the car hops over bumps, only to be immediately grounded and find grip again due to the spectacular aero of the car, all while the beefed up turbo tries to break the rear loose and the reinforced chassis struggles to keep all this mayhem in check. As beautiful as this car looks in pictures, I feel it really comes alive when viewed in motion.

I think easily the biggest difference I felt in the transition from 6 to Sport is that torque curves seem to be a lot better simulated now. I've heard journalists mention how, in the stock FD, the secondary turbo coming on mid corner can cause some hairy scenarios, yet I've never really had that problem in the confines of GT. Maybe it's because I'm sitting in my living room couch, isolated from the physical sensations a good sports car delivers. Maybe it's because the secondary turbo comes on at 4,500rpm in the stock car, and you're basically never dipping that low on the track. Maybe it's because the stock FD never did have that much power to begin with. In the Boost Up 7 though, holy HECK is it pronounced and scary. If you're used to driving Rotary Engine cars, you'd be hard wired to mash the throttle when revs are "low", because Rotaries are very peaky by nature, especially the turbocharged ones. When you mash the throttle in the Boost Up 7 however, it will freaking deliver. It won't even sound like much, but it will freaking deliver. Maybe it won't have the burnout in 4th style of torque muscle cars give you, and maybe it won't give you McLaren F1 throttle response, but it will still give you enough to break the rear tyres sideways if you're not careful, which, truth be told, is a hella scary combo. Oh, and have I mentioned? It's a rather thirsty beast, as Rotaries tend to be. Your rear end will be rapidly lightening over the course of an event, which further takes away from rear grip. If it's any saving grace though, the car retains its nimble, able, and willing handling up to and past its limits, which ironically I find makes it a phenomenal drift car, especially given it's willing and able to break its rear out over a wide rpm range. ...don't take my word for it, though. I can't and won't drift.

Sadly, while the car retains its agility and eagerness in corners, I feel that it has lost any and all of its predictability from 6 to Sport, and hence why I cannot consider it "Handling Nirvana" anymore. Don't get me wrong: on the Sports Soft tyres that I believe it should've come with, it's still an absolute joy to hoon around. I just find that its behaviour changes too much with mortality turned on; that is, the car's behaviour changes too much for my liking when tyre wear and fuel depletion comes into play. And, hey, maybe that was never a priority when RE Amemiya was setting this up for Touge runs in Hot Version. Maybe it's this car finally showing its age. Or maybe it's because I've been spoiled silly by all the bona fide racecars that are the main focus of GT Sport. I've even taken what I currently consider "Handling Nirvana", the Porsche Cayman GT4 Clubsport, and slapped Comfort Softs on it. Of course the pace fell, but its behaviour stayed very consistent with how it would usually handle. I'm probably doing something really asinine by downgrading tyres on a car, but as a street legal car you can drive daily if you're crazy enough, it's all the more important to me that its behaviour stays somewhat consistent, even as the pace falls. Of course, I put no other car to this test, but that's only because I expect and want so much more out of this car, because I love it so much.

That said, my ramble of a "review" is finally over! Enjoy the rest of the photos!

It still bugs the crap out of me that backfires don't look correct at all in panning shots. And so, I took it upon myself to masterfully edit both these standstill and speeding versions of the same shot together to form this absolute god tier class of Van Gothic edit... with MS Paint.

I am not exaggerating when I say that I literally just took the free form select tool, and with all the grace and precision of a drunk duck on land, cut out the still flames and pasted it onto the speeding shot. I think you can still see where the incision lines are, but at this moment this is the best I could do. Freaking GT Sport man. It's been a product that's always pushed me to better myself and explore new frontiers, be it competitive FIA races or just opening my eyes to SVGs in general, and here I am using MS PAINT to fix something that's been broken across multiple generations in the GT family.

Can I also complain about how frame by frame doesn't work properly, in that it doesn't produce smoke or water kick-up, let alone backfires? What even is the point of frame by frame?

In terms of sheer cool factor, 1.51 is right up there with the rain updates. I really love the aftermarket tuner vibe it had with the reintroduction of RE Amemiya and RUF.

Replicas

RIP Yamaji Shinichi. You will never be forgotten.

I chanced upon a tragic tale of a brutal accident that took place in 1998 at Fuji Speedway, which you can read more about here. To summarise, Oota Tetsuya crashed his F355 at the start of the race under severely disgusting conditions, and his car caught fire. Yamaji-san, in his Amemiya RX-7, immediately stopped his car to grab a fire extinguisher and put out the fire, saving Oota's life.

I believe the Amemiya GT300 machine Yamaji-san was driving is the same one featured in Gran Turismo 2, of which this livery is a replica of. It seemed too perfect to not bring this car back to Fuji to remember that tragic accident that, while disgusting in nature, has probably saved countless lives due to the changes it brought into motion. Unfortunately, Yamaji-san passed away in 2014 at age 50.

1998 RE Amemiya FD3S GT300 Livery by Not1Name Download Link.
[R] MAZDA RX-7 GT-C LM Livery by Skyline_539 Download Link.

Nostalgia overload time! I've never been a fan of these replica liveries, because the liveries all scream "racecar" while the body sheepishly whimpers "stock". The Boost Up 7 looks almost like a Gr. 4 machine if I dare say so myself, which makes it a way better candidate for these replica liveries.

~Type RZ 姉妹 Sisters~

1992 ɛ̃fini RX-7 Type RZ RE雨宮仕様 Livery by XSquareStickIt Download Link
2000 Mazda RX-7 Type RZ RE雨宮仕様 Livery by XSquareStickIt Download Link

I admittedly had way too much fun with this car, both on and off the track. This car doesn't come with any physical badging at all, only decals. So I had this brilliant idea of, "DUDE! What if I pretended this to be the Type RZ that got tuned by RE Amemiya?!" And so I dug out a rather obscenely traced RZ decal I made ages ago while learning how to do SVGs, and slapped it onto the car, along with period correct badging both front and rear.

Of course, I would be remiss in not mentioning what a great help @Maninashed had been with both the ɛ̃fini logos found on the Brilliant Black Type RZ, since both involve gradients and when it comes to GT Sport and its choosy, half baked support for gradients... :banghead:

In a photo shoot lobby with a friend, a stranger suddenly joined, and brought along a yellow Amemiya FD, clearly inspired by the one in Initial D driven by Takahashi Keisuke. Now, I'm not suuuper big on Initial D or anything, but I WAS driving a black FD, which was too much of a coincidence for me to not impromptu role play a bit. So... *clears throat*

Darling, please! Don't overtake me! I want you to watch me more! I never want you to stop watching me!

Me: omae wa mou shindeiru

Also me: NANI?!

Yes, this alien actually brought his FD back, from a 90 degree slide half off road! People who can drift are proof of extraterrestrial life.

Lastly, enjoy a video of my horrendous driving. Stock settings, default ABS, Comfort Soft Tyres.

Whew! I think I'm actually done with this post now! See you Update 1.53, which is dropping... TOMORROW?! :crazy:

Last edited:
Update 24/12/19: Appreciating Porsches with the 993

It took about 2 laps of the newly added Laguna Seca to fall in love with the... uh... *checks official car list* 993 Carrera Club Sport. It was about as good as I had been expecting it to be awful. So I guess that means I now have to wrap my head around the confusing chassis codes of the 911 and their several tiers of trims. Goddarnit PD I thought I could be cool by hating Porsches but you had to go and do this to me.

While modern Porsches have their appeal in their extreme capability, the 993 contextualises for me what the 911 purists have been saying for decades, and rationalises to me why they exist. This thing felt so able, yet never intimidating. So raw, yet so forgiving. It made me think it was a German NSX for a second with how tactile the driving experience is, and how much I enjoyed it.

I made an old Singaporean plate for the 993, since I have no idea how German plates work yet. Aside from the plate and the rare plate holder I actually bothered with, this car is entirely original from the factory, right down to its chrome thick 5 spoke RS wheels. I'd swap them out, but I figure this car feels more like a museum piece than a hooning tool.

Museum piece.

The last air cooled 911. I'm going to have to give the 996 GT3 a good, hard, firm look after driving this to really understand what Porsche did going forward after this brilliant piece of machinery, and why Porsche fans really didn't take kindly to the 996. It seems hard to go wrong from here.

Sadly, there aren't any Singaporean locations in GT Sport at all, so I had to make do with pretending some urban locations as Singapore to go with my Singapore plated cars.

Not gonna lie, I do find myself gravitating towards older crapboxe- I mean, the more classic automobiles than newer ones, so I repurposed the previous shot with the 993 being the focus.

New safety cars are great and all, but can you imagine the FIELD DAY livery creators would have with an actual bus?! And the one-make races?!

911s naturally do look at home in Europe, and admittedly my lack of matching plates do spoil the shots. BUT I JUST WANTED TO SHOW OFF MY HARD WORK RESEARCHING SINGAPORE PLATES IS THAT REALLY SO AWFUL.

Rest stop.

Not gonna lie, Singapore plates are an unholy pain in the butt to make, despite their simplistic appearance. That's why I don't have many cars with Singapore plates on them. About the only one that looks believable on the street is this poor Atenza I've never shot up till now.

I'm firmly more of a Cayman guy (a Cayman... man? Aha? No?) than a 911 guy. My Porsche of choice is sitting parked in the background here, but while the Cayman offers what I consider to be Handling Nirvana, the 911 GT3 RS is a lot more exhilarating with its extra speed and accompanying hairy feelings.

My poor Atenza can't get a break being backdrop.

Merry Christmas everyone!

A Dump from a Slump

It's been about three whole months since my last update. I guess it also has been about three whole months since a content update came to GTS, after all. During which time, I have been obsessing over Sport mode and improving as a driver, lamenting my own inability and chasing lap times. I haven't been shooting much as a result. It got so frustrating to the point where I was going through some type of existential crisis or something. These shots probably will reflect that aimless, dull period. That's my excuse for these shots not being good. One thing I learned from racing is to always prepare an excuse beforehand!

Under intense pressure from an A+ driver. Everything is fine.

I SAID EVERYTHING IS FINE!

See? I told you everything is fine.

Imagine if PD turned off contact penalties for a month. Crazy, I know!

A Mazda LM55 VGT Gr. 1 based off of the late Furai Concept Car. The Furai had some OBSCURE sponsorship decals I have not seen anywhere else, making them extremely difficult to search for. I did the best I could, but I had to replace the sponsorship decals I couldn't find. This means that, rather than a replica, this LM55 VGT is heavily inspired from the Furai, whose sinister, matte dark theme fits so well into an other worldy looking machine that are VGT cars.

I think I spent more time on the livery of this car than practicing for the actual Nation's Race. It's just one of those things where I thought, "eh, it's a matte black car, how hard can it be", only to become WAY TOO invested in it. That's my excuse for my unfavourable race result, but honestly? The only viable strategy for that race, with the penalties more sensitive than my easily hurt feelings, was just to pray.

The BEST race I have EVER had. 6 of the tightest, closest, overtaking filled, disgustingly clean and respectful racing I have ever had. You can watch the race here.

FIA testing.

I was challenged to a rather weird, but very fun nonetheless, 1v1.

It was just replicating the stock stripes, giving it a plate, and painting the wheels silver, but I replicated Jon Moxley's Ford GT. Shared here.

A little nostalgia.

In previous GT games, I always started simulation mode with a high mileage, second hand FC RX-7, and almost always in red, with the starting 10,000 Cr.. I always get a sweet, inexplicable feeling when I see this hunk of junk sitting on top of a car list of monster racing machines and exotics worth millions of dollars. This thing was here for me when I was a nobody, when nothing else was, you know?

Nowadays when new cars get added into GT Sport, I always think, "...the frick am I supposed to do with a crapbox N class 180SX?" for example. I wonder where that wonder and excitement I used to have for cars went. I wonder where all the mystique and journeys went. In my demotivated slump, I slapped a plate on a red FC with BBS wheels and tried to find it back.

Learning how to park.

Tuner Mazdas

Winning a prize car!

I'm probably never going to be good enough to qualify to even be an Am in the World Tours. I certainly will never be financially able to buy and upkeep my own RX-7, not where I live. My photos are all garbage, too. It really makes me think, "well what am I good for?" I get this really depressive, awful feeling where I feel like I will never be good enough to give back to that which I love. And it sucks.

But hey at least I got a Veyron on my birthday! (...the frick am I supposed to do with a N class crapbox Veyron?)

Last edited:
Dodge Viper SRII

More than a year ago I started this thread, with the "Viper SRII" in the "coming soon" section. Goes to show how much I procrastinate and put off things, huh.

The batch of photos was actually a second round of shooting. A second round was necessitated after I realised I could and should've made the front Viper badge red... and I PROBABLY shouldn't put centre lock wheels on a street car.

The blue Viper has also appeared in an earlier batch of photos, "The Moisturising 1.45 Update"

Last edited:
(crap I knew I shouldn't have spent so much time nitpicking and fine tuning this review thinking things like "I need to test this more" or "I can do a better photo than that to illustrate this point" and now Update 1.57 is out and adjusted how Gr. 2 cars handle urgh oh well I guess now I can take all the time in the world nitpicking and fine tuning this review thinking things like "I need to test this more" and "I can do a better photo than that to illustrate this point")

This review was written prior to the Update 1.57's adjustment to Gr. 2 cars. However, most of what I wrote prior the update still stands in Version 1.57, and I'll include an addendum at the end on my thoughts on the car on Version 1.57.

Review: Epson NSX 2008

crpOPOvl.jpg

"Oh, hey, look. Another guy's writing a review about the original NSX. I'll bet I'll get bored to death within three sentences of unbridled praise for the car", is probably what you're thinking right now. Or maybe you came specifically to hear yet another person be awed by a timeless piece of machinery, looking for a friend perhaps to clutch aching backs together and wave canes at the sky shouting, "they don't make them like they used to anymore!" and "Back in my day...!"

Yes, the original NA1 and NA2 generations of the NSX is an automotive fairy tale that is both quantifiably amazing, yet also has that intangible "it" factor, that sprinkle of magic, that makes cars more than the sum of the parts that make it up, that make cars feel truly alive and unique. It was Honda's first engine to incorporate their now trademark and legendary VTEC technology. It was the first mass produced car to feature an all aluminum chassis. It looked and sounded like nothing else on the road, and was a stellar knockout on both fronts. Even the incomparable Ayrton Senna was stunned by it. This was the car that made Ferrari rethink their entire philosophy with their road cars. This was the car that started the whole "Type R" tradition and craze. Oh, and it has pop up headlights!

Eu2aqgtl.jpg

Now that I've briefly showered the car with some due, albeit clichéd praise onto the road car, I can, with a better conscience, say that the race car version in Gran Turismo Sport is a load of crap.

66p6EtJl.jpg

m6ewxW5l.jpg

The 2008 Epson NSX is a GT500 car that raced in the 2008 season of Super GT. While the production car went out of production in 2005, Honda continued to field the NSX in GT500 until 2009, after which it was replaced by the rather confused looking HSV-010 GT, making this example one of the last, and theoretically most advanced evolution of the original NSX. Being a mid engined car in a category that in theory doesn't allow mid engined cars, every NSX in GT500 is saddled with 50kg of ballast just for being mid engined, and that's even before success ballast comes into play after doing well in a race. This mass increase has been faithfully replicated in GT Sport, with both its contemporary rivals, the 2008 Xanavi Nismo GT-R and the 2008 Petronas Tom's SC430 weighing in at 1,100kg, whereas the Epson NSX weighs in at 1,150kg. It's like the Epson NSX came equipped with the optional air con and stereo of the road going NSX-R.

Bfdwfxcl.jpg

GT500 cars are all lumped under Gr. 2 in GTS, meaning that the Epson NSX is in the same category as the aforementioned 2008 SC430 and GT-R. These three cars share Gr. 2 with their 2016 counterparts, the Raybrig NSX Concept-GT, the Motul Autech GT-R, and the au Tom's RC F.

2008:
VbnykOKl.jpg

2016:
yom03yFl.jpg

While the game does try to balance out the performance between these two distinct groups of cars that clearly shouldn't be in the same category, there has always been a general consensus that the 2008 cars are the more finicky, harder to control, slower cornering cars, with their only saving grace being an insane power bump to get them to roughly the same hot lap times as the 2016 cars, which is about as effective as slapping a bandage on a bullet wound. As of late however, the 2008 Xanavi Nismo GT-R proved to be the car of choice for all Gr. 2 events as the power it had was way too much for even the 2016 cars to compete with, as the latest FIA event to use Gr. 2 cars should nicely demonstrate.

(This isn't shameless self plugging, I swear! This is supporting document for my argument I'm about to make!)

(Come on PD, Gr. 2 consists of only six cars! How difficult can balancing Gr. 2 be?!)

What I'm trying to say with this long winded explanation is, Gr. 2 can be clearly divided into two, the "better cars" and the "worse cars". The Epson NSX is, without question and beyond debate, the worst car in the worse cars class, both on paper and in practice. It weighs the most both before and after BoP. It has the least amount of power in the 2008 class after BoP, despite having the most before. All this, just for the cardinal sin of being mid engined, it would seem. Even as-is without "Balance" of Performance mucking it up, the Epson NSX barely felt like it could handle its own power. The chassis flexes and numbs out on you the moment the rear steps out, making this car an inconsolable beast at and past its limit, requiring a lot of practice and mishaps before you learn where the car's limits are, learn what upsets it, and how exactly to correct a minor mishap. I can only speculate that the original NSX's chassis was already comparatively weak to begin with, what with the rear greenhouse glass panel, and having a roof design that's easy to lop off to make a Targa NSX. Even its younger stable mate, the S2000, a convertible, felt stiffer. To compensate, the suspension is set so tight to give some semblance of precision control, that any slight bump, any slight unevenness in the road will send the car hurtling and screaming in a cloud of smoke into the nearest available barrier. The best example I can give of this is the near flat rumble strips on the exit of the Dunlop Chicane, turn 12, on Fuji Speedway. In every other car, you would try to make the most of the rumble strip to straighten out your exit as much as possible, since the rumble strip is so flat, it's more part of the road than rumble strip.

The Epson NSX is having none of that.

zjyne1Hl.jpg

Pictured: All the road imperfection needed to upset an NSX.

The moment any roll goes through the car, especially on the inside of a turn, the inside rear tyres will spin without warning and spit you off the track. This also means that most rumble strips, the normal ones with some elevation, are to be avoided almost entirely, and only grazingly kissed if you really must. Driving the Epson NSX requires a thorough preemptive understanding of the car, and rewiring some hard racing driver habits, such as "aim for the apex". It's a car that needs the driver to keep it "on rails", so to speak, and as such is not an easy car to drive in an adaptive fashion, be it adjusting your lines mid race due to rain, having to pass someone/ let someone pass, or just getting tapped mid corner.

eNNwItBl.jpg

Now, if I were to be allowed the pleasure of asking you, dear reader, the question of, "what do you think this car needs to be competi-"

You're wrong.

What this car needs to be competitive is...

GpiSubQl.jpg

More power, clearly.

I can't help but to feel that it was perhaps overcompensated just for its mid engined layout. Spa is a circuit that heavily favours a mid engined car, yet no NSX, be it 2008 or 2016, even made it onto the field in a somewhat respectable A/S lobby. Increasing mass and power might average out a car's performance for one lap, but it also makes it a lot more difficult to drive, and causes a long term disadvantage with tyre wear and fuel consumption. With the extremely tail happy nature of this car, one wouldn't be remiss in feeling a need to protect the rear tyres over the course of the event by shifting brake bias to the front. In fact, I find my fastest, and most consistent lap times in the NSX is set with brake balance all the way at -5, the most I can shift braking bias towards the front. -2 to -3 might work for some others for a hot lap, if you're looking to better rotate the rear of the car to point the nose into an apex. At -5 where I like it, the front tyres are audibly cooking even with ABS on default in each heavy braking zone, and you can feel it through your wheel that the car has very little turning capability under trail braking. Signs like that in any other car would result in severely uneven wear front to rear, yet as my video above proves, setting the brake balance all the way up front actually results in the front tyre wear being just ever so slightly worse than the rear, which just goes to show how much stress the rear tyres are constantly under, having to cope with 122% of the power this thing was originally intended to barely cope with. This may also have something to do with the engine being mounted longitudinally as opposed to the transverse mounting in the road car, OR, you know, the excessive mass and power. Take your pick.

ptwYRlHl.jpg

YJq6UJ2l.jpg

And for all the theatrics of the Epson NSX in the corners, it's not like it's any faster in the straights, or that its contemporary rivals are just as difficult to handle in the corners. It just... sucks, for no trade off. For no reason. In fact, I would argue that the 2008 GT-R, for as uncouth and barbaric as GT500 cars are to drive, actually feels somewhat tame and reasonable to drive, with some semblance of predictability. It's a hell of a shock after switching from the NSX. There is zero reason to drive the Epson NSX in Gr. 2. Zero.

And that's just so sad, because I love this thing to death (almost literally).

AiLL8HOl.jpg

dd0PEaIl.jpg

I've always been obsessed with the jet fighter inspired styling of the NSX, believing it to be one of the most timeless and multi purpose styling in all of automotive history. In production guise, it looks distinctly special, yet with a strong flavour of understatement and modesty, especially the earlier models with the pop up headlights. You could proudly take it to a first meeting with your hopeful in-laws. Yet, as a race car, that fighter jet styling is elevated and fully realised. I am irrationally and inexplicably in love with the roof snorkel on the GT500 NSXes, and the fact that Honda was made to sell 5 street legal NSXes with said snorkel still tickles the 10 year old kid inside me. It's such a conspicuous part, jutting out of an otherwise flush and smooth silhouette, yet it's hard to convince myself that the snorkel didn't belong in the design of the car once I laid eyes on it. It gives this car a very rugged, old Formula 1 car vibe, just from that one part alone.

9W9P7lCl.jpg

hlY7gz9l.jpg

The car has an almost enchanting way to lead your eyes through its body, almost as easily as it leads and directs airflow over it as smoothly as possible. Even with all the screaming aero parts and the imposing flared fenders, this NSX still somehow retains a fair bit of the cohesive look and feel of the road car. I am somewhat gutted that this particular NSX has omitted the side air intakes aft the doors however, as those were standard on all road going NSXes and was even specifically pulled further out to be more of a RAM air intake on the homologation NSX-R GT.

VnT9gOfl.jpg

uBRTrJAl.jpg

I've written about how god awful the Epson NSX is to drive in a competitive setting above, but if taken on its own, as-is, the Epson NSX is actually a rather pleasant, and dare I say it - exciting - drive. As a race car, it has unfailing and assuredly planted aero. Even with worn tyres, fast, thrilling corners such as 130R at Suzuka, or Eau Rouge at Spa is taken flat out. It responds wonderfully well to weight shifting, and is always happy to communicate. Despite the switch to a longitudinal engine layout, the car exhibits a very natural ease and impeccable balance into and through a corner, in a way that only a very well refined mid engine racing car could (as long as you avoid rumble strips and other road imperfections). Being a Naturally Aspirated engine that redlines at 8,000rpm, the power delivery is as tactile as it is precise: it has linear, instant power from mid to high rev range, like an attentive instrument. And my god, this engine sings. It howls. It hums along patiently at low speed, relaxed, but already imposing. As revs climb, it slowly turns into an impatient growl, a precursor, a playful tease, to very, very good things happening at the touch of your foot, almost as though the car is waiting for the road to straighten out, almost as if the car is begging you to rag on it more. And then finally, a fully competent and distinct howl as the car gets into its operating range on the track, before the crescendo, the chorus, at the last 2 or 300rpm. That's where everything is assuredly and cohesively screaming, lights flaring on your wheel, scenery falling behind in a blur faster and faster, completing the magical picture that is motorsports. This C32B is a certifiable orchestra from idle to redline. This is a car that sounds so, so irresistibly good that I often bounce off the rev limiter on upshifts, because I just don't ever want that glorious soundtrack to end. It warps the way your mind perceives time and engine notes. Each downshift is an event, almost like getting physically injected with adrenaline, and the car is only way too happy to deliver that sensation hard and fast, with gearing so purposefully close, and the car stopping so fast.

gQapPDbl.jpg

As a nine tenths car, this car is second to none in this game. It might even be a very good ten tenths car, but I honestly can't tell you, because the line between 10.1 and 10 is so blurry and rapidly crossed in this car. But, in spite of all its imperfections and well deserved bad rep, this car is one of the very, very few cars that always puts a smile on my face when I drive it. Each drive is always such an occasion. Such a rush, a blend of reliability and suspense, that excites like nothing else in the game.

888CwJPl.jpg

And you know what's the craziest part about all this? That this spectacle, this insanity, is all based on a production car, unlike the 2016 silhouette cars that have the exact same engine and chassis underneath a skin that resembles a production car. The craziest part here is that I can hear that same engine note if I go out there and buy a NSX right now. I can have that body shape. And while a very, very long shot, I know there will be people out there insane enough to be able to make a profit off of bringing the appearance, sound, and performance of a production NSX close to those levels. Despite how insanely over the top a GT500 body kit is, thanks to Japan's vibrant and flourishing car culture, even the real deal doesn't look horrendously out of place in a parking lot somewhere in Japan.

2BOkdcGl.jpg

XocB4jUl.jpg

Dare I say it, Super GT has lost the plot entirely with the silhouette cars. Why would I, as a fan, be interested in watching three automotive giants race identical cars? What stake have I in the race, what do I stand to gain from it? With the earlier cars, they all sound and perform very differently. You can see bits of yourself, your car, and even those of your friends', in the cars on TV. There is pride and emotional investment.

I get that this is just me nitpicking, but this car suffers from a number of small, yet annoying nonetheless, graphical errors. Enough of them to seriously annoy me. For starters, this is one of those cars whose brake light cover seems to vanish in a lower LOD, meaning that they expose their brake lights if they pull away from you, making it seem like they're applying their brakes from a distance, even when they're not.

High LOD when in close viewing range, and when the game is paused:

HGiqEosl.png

Low LOD when the car pulls away:

9OgxmtAl.png

Secondly, the tachometer on the steering wheel seems to be reading a whole thousand revs more than what the car is actually doing. You can see this disparity between the game supplied tachometer in bumper cam and the rev counter on the steering wheel.

Idle:​

XmnuZkxl.png

ObCdc8ll.png

Top Speed:​

UEr5zn5l.png

TMdIT7Rl.png

For comparison, this is the car at idle and at max revs in Gran Turismo 6:

JeU7wTil.jpg

WPrKJPHl.jpg

Lastly, cockpit view is horrendous in this car. Okay, fine, cockpit view is horrendous in any car, but especially so in this NSX. The A pillar has been thickened with the necessary roll cage for safety reasons, and the flared fenders look wide enough to have about 3 or 4 time zones in them when viewed from the driver's seat. The seat itself is also set so low that you'll have a hard time looking over the fenders. Driving in cockpit view makes some wide open turns completely blind, such as Fuji's T1:

That's a gif of me driving in bumper cam, taking a normal line and hitting the apex, then viewing it back in cockpit view. There is absolutely zero frame of reference and feedback that you have done anything correctly from cockpit view.

Because the rear greenhouse glass panel is completely replaced by an opaque piece (the snorkel would've blocked most of your rear view, anyway), there is no rear view mirror in the cockpit. Instead, rear view is provided by a small monitor, which is standard fare in GT500 cars... except that the monitor itself is mounted to the FAR left of the dash, meaning that, in a best case scenario, you'll have to turn your head a lot and divert your eyes from the road for an unacceptably long period of time just to see what's going on behind you if you have a VR Headset. If, in the worst case scenario, you're like me, using a wheel with no analog stick control and no VR, you simply cannot see what's going on behind you, with only the game supplied radar giving you some sense of situational and spatial awareness.

Oh, and for some doggone reason, the monitor feed itself continuously flickers.

I guess the normally perfectionist folks at PD really didn't expect anyone to end up behind you when you drive the NSX, huh.

It goes like hell and sounds like the apocalypse, yet isn't actually good for anything quantifiable. It may not be a go anywhere, do anything car. In fact, I'd argue it's a go nowhere, do nothing car. Under the pressure of a race and the precision it demands, the NSX falls apart into shambles. But simply as a toy, with no expectations, no pressure, no goal in mind, except just to enjoy a drive, there is simply nothing else that gets driving pleasure as right, on point, or as intensely as the Epson NSX. In a competition focused title like Gran Turismo Sport, the Epson NSX feels very out of place. But I am so glad and happy that it's here, nonetheless. With the game's eponymous Sport Mode being as broken as it is right now, I was struggling to really gleam any enjoyment from it. And then I drove the Epson NSX, for no real reason. And then I started taking photos of it. And then that made me want to share them. But I already have a post on the NA NSXes on my gallery, so I guess I'll write a review as an excuse to post more photos. And then I drove it more and shot it more for the review. And before I knew it, I had spent an obsessive amount of time on the game, when previously, I was ready to put it down.

While this car is largely ignored in a competition focused game like Gran Turismo Sport, I think it still has use through its appeal, and hence why I actually entered my first photo mode competition with this car.

Sunrise
fiWVMbhl.jpg

They truly don't make them like they used to, back in my day. Now if you'll excuse me, my back pain is calling me.

Update 1.57 Thoughts:

Not much has changed with the Epson NSX in Version 1.57. The most glaring and noticeable one is how much more planted the rear end is under braking as compared to before. This however also means that it doesn't rotate into deep apexes as well as it used to, understeering and missing apexes where it used to oversteer into them, but the change is very minor on that front.

This change, while feeling minor, I've found has had a big snowball effect on how I drive the car. Because the rear end now is so planted, I've found that my comfort zone with the car has changed from -5 Brake Bias to -1. -1 seems to emulate how the car behaved best on -5 previously. However, on Ver. 1.57 on BB -1, I feel that trail braking has become a lot more tactile and open to options as compared to the -5 before. With -5 BB pre 1.57, your braking was a very "stop or turn" affair, with very little overlap between the two. Now I feel like I can actually trail brake the car a lot more. I actually feel the car respond a bit more when I modulate the brake pedal, when before, steering under braking was a largely numb and fruitless affair until you've scrubbed off most of your speed in a straight line.

This then got me to wonder how exactly a -1 BB would affect the tyre wear of the NSX over a long race, seeing as I got almost equal front to rear wear rates on my NSX previously, as shown in the above embedded video. I thus reran the entire race in single player, with the same strategy, and this is how the tyres looked like at the end of the race.

1.56:​

xssrdckl.png

1.57:​

FGhGrdGl.png

Track: Spa, noon
Tyre Wear: 10x
Fuel Con: 4x
Grip: Real
Power: 122%
Mass: 100%
Tyre Strategy: 4 laps on Hard tyres, pit for 6 laps of Mediums. Use aggressive engine braking.
Fuel Strategy: Short shift at about 40% of the rev bar for each gear, which is around 6,700rpm. No refuel. Rev out first gear.

As you can see, with -1BB now, one would think that this would put extra stress on the rear tyres, but tyre wear for the NSX seems to have been adjusted in Ver. 1.57 as well. Comparing -5BB previously with -1BB now, the rear tyres are understandably a little worse for wear, though only slightly. However, the front tyres are in a MUCH better shape now. In short, it's a net improvement for roughly the same driving characteristics. Behind the wheel though, the car's grip balance didn't feel thrown off balance at all, as I think this car would sooner understeer than oversteer mid corner, unlike the nightmarish Audi R8 LMS in Gr. 3, which is limited by its rear tyres more than its fronts mid corner and corner exit.

Overall, I think this change is a good one, as it makes these 600+BHP fire breathing monsters just a tad bit easier to drive for both new and old drivers, while giving those already familiar with these cars more realistic options in brake biases to play with. I'm just not very sure if Ver. 1.57 made these cars any faster or slower, because I'm too garbage of a driver to really nail laps with the consistency I'd want for a test. If there's any pace to be had in being more consistent, though, then I suppose one can say that this update made the cars realistically faster for us mere mortals.

The changes seem to apply across the board, as I wasn't able to pull a significant hot lap time advantage in the 2008 Xanavi Nismo GT-R over the Epson NSX; just 0.3 of a second quicker. I am not at all familiar with how the 2008 GT-R drives, however, so realistically speaking the Nismo should be a bit more than 0.3 seconds quicker per lap than the NSX around Spa on Medium Tyres. I also cannot comment on how Update 1.57 has changed every other car in Gr. 2 aside from the Epson NSX as a result.

Mazda's Gr. 3 Cars Review:

Since the game's launch in late 2017, Mazda's war horses in Gran Turismo Sport has been a pair of Atenzas modified by Polyphony Digital for Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 competition, the equivalent of FIA GT3 and GT4, respectively.

While the competition cars are based on an existing road car, the Atenza Sedan XD L Package, Mazda themselves didn't have a hand in the fictional racing car versions of the Atenza. That has recently changed with Mazda's partnership with Gran Turismo, as they've now introduced the RX-Vision GT3 Concept into the game as the headliner of Update 1.59.

This of course immediately begs the question; which of Mazda's two Gr. 3 cars is better?

Well, if you're going by the looks of the machines, then it's not even close: the RX-Vision takes the cake on that front, complete with cherries on top, extra sprinkles, and the whole hundred candles on it. I've said it years ago, but it bears repeating: the Atenza in Gr. 3 and Gr. 4 guises look like trying to stretch a bikini around pregnant women to get them to look attractive; it's just not going to work. As a sedan, it's one of the most attractive in the market, but the sedan Atenza will never look as good as the Bona Fide sports and supercars that are designed and engineered to be evocative, like the Vipers, the 458s, the 650Ses, and so on. One might even make the argument that, on the same grid as these GT3 machines, the Atenza just looks out of its element.

The RX-Vision is a concept car that made its debut in the 2015 Tokyo Auto Show. As a non functioning, showcase concept car, looks are of course the only thing it has, empty promises notwithstanding.

(Photos: Mazda Zoom-Zoom Blog)

Even if it were a one trick pony, though, what a trick it is! It's low, it's wide, it's sleek, it's curvaceous, it's sexy, it's mystical, and it looks like it's going to punch you in your face to soften it up so it could swallow your head whole. Bathed in the company's flagship paint of Soul Red Crystal, the endless curves and crevices of the immaculate concept car each was worth a second, third, and even a fourth look, as different angles of lighting brought out different layers and depth in the car's paint, in a symbiotic symphony for the eyes as the curves and paint both brought the best out of each other. Soul Red Premium Metallic and Soul Red Crystal I maintain are colours you have to see in real life to really appreciate, as I find that camera lenses, computer screens, and my non HDR TV I have GTS on doesn't capture a sort of depth and presence the paint has in real life.

While the RX-Vision is a showcase of the current Mazda vision, theming, and technology, it at the same time feels like a love letter to the fans and its own past glory, as it borrows more than heavily from the FD generation RX-7, so much so it feels like a natural evolution of the FD, instead of its own being. The FD is the car I still consider to be the best looking car to ever have been mass produced, in my very biased opinion. Most obvious of the callbacks to the FD is in its unified rear light cluster, although the front daytime running lights do form a shape reminiscent to the panel gaps formed by pop up headlights, an automotive joy that is sadly no longer with us.

Back in 2015, while I was ecstatic to see the car and Mazda's continued interest in the Rotary Engine, I couldn't help but to feel a little wary about the dimensions of the car. The long nose, short deck theme has produced a bonnet so long that it looked ready to house a longitudinally mounted V10 engine. A Rotary Engine, often praised for its small size and big power output, shouldn't need a nose that long. Even back in December last year, when the GT3 version of the car was announced for Gran Turismo Sport, a lot of us were speculating if it would even come with the fabled dinosaur of an engine, given its less than stellar reputation for reliability, low end torque, heating, and sealing issues. Concept cars are usually just for a shock and awe factor, a lightning in a bottle for marketing purposes kind of thing, and if a concept car were to gain enough popularity and demand, the ensuing production version usually omits a lot of the styling cues and features shown without promises on the concept car. Hopefully you can understand then, where the scepticism, caution, and speculation comes from. This is, after all, a concept car, said to be powered by a dinosaur of an engine, a Rotary Engine of unspoken specifications, that looks long enough to swallow a V12 whole. Other worries, like whether the car will even have a rendered interior stripped for racing in-game, was brought up as well.

(Photo: Mazda Zoom-Zoom Blog)

May 21st, 2020. 2100h Singapore time. Gran Turismo's Facebook page releases a scheduled post advertising a video. The unmistakable silhouette of the RX-Vision GT3 in a dark studio, mostly cloaked by its own high contrast paint, served as the thumbnail. I click on the video. Familiar sights greeted me as the camera is brought around the car in the same dark studio. And, hoo boy, if you thought the RX-Vision as shown in 2015 was a stunner, the GT3 Concept is that same girl, now properly dressed up for business, decked out in flashy accessories, and is looking to ruin the days of many, many people on the track. At the 30 second mark, the heavy atmosphere set by the dramatic music is shattered by the first sounds of the RX-Vision the world has ever heard

It was the unmistakable, inimitable, smooth, high pitched wail of a Rotary Engined racing monster.

Panning shots of the car, including those showcasing the interior of the car, set the community into a frenzy of hype and appreciation. After the RX-8's discontinuation in 2012, Mazda has been without a Rotary Engine car in their lineup for a good 8 years and counting, through the 50th birthday of Mazda's first production Rotary Engined car, the Cosmo Sport, in 2017. With Mazda now showcasing the equally mind blowing SkyActiv-X engine, Rotary Engines seemed for a while to be relegated to range extenders, museum pieces, and hopeful dreams of enthusiasts. Now, even is only virtually, Mazda has come up with a "New RX", and upon hearing a streamer say that, I realised how long I've been longing to hear that phrase unknowingly. I might've shed a tear or two.

Sorry, it's impossible for me to talk about Mazda Rotary cars without getting a bit too personal and emotional.

All driving impressions are formed with BoP On, the cars' default of Racing Hard Tyres, except where otherwise stated. I am a garbage driver with an A/S DR/SR. Here is a link to my KudosPrime page. I've pulled out of Sport Mode entirely due to the broken penalty system, and therefore am very out of practice. I am usually a second per minute slower than the top time in leaderboards when I was playing more frequently. I've never signed with any manufacturer other than Mazda in FIA races, though I do drive other Gr. 3 cars outside Manufacturers' for private races and Nations.

Aside from the fact that they both bear the Mazda badge, are both FR GT3 cars, and come in red, there is very little similarity between the two stable mates. The obvious body style difference aside, I think the biggest difference between the two is the engines, which is of course the defining trait of the RX-Vision. The Atenza uses a familiar 2.5L Inline 4 as the road going car, although now tasked to output 615PS. In the absence of a Hybrid system, insane power figures from small engines is usually achieved with big turbos, and the Atenza Gr. 3 is no different. In contrast, the RX-Vision GT3 achieves its 536PS "'cuz it's a Rotary!" What came genuinely a surprise to me is that the RX-Vision is naturally aspirated, as Rotary Engines aren't traditionally known to produce 600PS levels of power naturally aspirated. The exception to this is of course, the daddy of all Rotary Engines, the R26B in the 787B, which I'll mention again later. For now, just know that the Atenza is powered by a 2.5L* Inline 4 Cylinder Turbo, and the RX-Vision, a 2.6L** Inline 4 Rotor NA.

*not specified in-game. I'm assuming the Gr. 3 Atenza shares the same block and displacement as the road going Atenza.
**not specified in-game. Information taken from Mazda's official blog. The power and torque figures seem a little different from those reported in-game, however.

The Atenza is a mighty quick car in Gr. 3. In fact, I'd even go as far as to say that it's the best all rounder FR car in Gr. 3 alongside the AMG GT3, in a class swarmed by similar FR turbos. Unfortunately, it isn't a top 10 leaderboard darling car because, ultimately, it is an FR car in an MR's game. The only FR cars that dominate Top 10 time leaderboards are the GT-R and the Supra, and those only get the honour because of their disgusting acceleration and top speeds, which gives them the unquestioned advantage in tracks that promote and require that kind of speed, such as Monza, Bathurst, and Suzuka. While the Supra and GT-R are straight line, top end missiles, that of course comes at the cost of cornering and handling. I've always hated how the GT-R GT3 drove in particular. I can't get it to turn, I can't get it to stop, I can't get it to put power down... I can't get it to do anything, basically. The GT-R demands and requires a very specialised style of driving it, and makes the driver adhere to its own rules. It's a necessary evil if you want to succeed in the game.

However, that is not to say that the Atenza doesn't have its own niche even in a niche company. The Atenza is the King of Mid Range: I would say has almost the mid range acceleration of these straight line missiles, but lacks in the top end, while being much better to drive in the bits between the straights. It stops disgustingly quickly as well. With engine braking, you'd almost swear you hit a brick wall every time you stomped on the brakes. While I find it to be the quickest with a front brake bias at -2, it can easily use any brake bias from -3 to +3, to balance out tyre wear, and performs with enough stability under braking even with a rear bias. As I mentioned, it's a niche within a niche, but it always has a shot to do really well in race conditions, and even has an entire racetrack dedicated to its strengths: Interlagos. In the hands of an alien, it's still capable of setting top times, as Kokubun Ryota (Akagi_1942mi) constantly proves in FIA Manufacturers.

I've gotten used to the car, having signed with no company but Mazda ever since I started doing FIA races (I'm a fanboy, shush you!), but that is not to say that the Atenza is an easy drive; it's just a lot more pleasant than the uncouth grossness that are the GT-R and Supra. It is, at the end of the day, an FR sedan shell with an engine boosted to hell and back. There will always be difficulties taming it. While GTS doesn't disclose mass distribution figures, the Atenza feels to me very slightly front biased in mass distribution. It's not unwilling to turn in per se, but compared against MR cars, it's always going to feel like trying to wrestle a pig into biting a corner. With the full 100 litres of fuel on board, it puts down power adequately well, but on low fuel loads in race conditions, the back end always felt too floaty for comfort, especially at low speed corners where its towering, imposing rear wing is basically useless.

Akagi-san on his top Asian leaderboard time trail run in his Atenza Gr. 3, attacking Turn 4 of Red Bull Ring. As you can see, the fastest way to get this thing to put down power is with a slight hint of a slide, and quick jabs of opposite lock of the steering wheel.

It's always difficult to put power down in this car, especially because of how spiked the torque curve is on this heavily boosted engine, and it only gets worse in the low speed, tight corners where the engine is forced into low revs, forced to transition between on and off boost, with no aero to help it. It's an engine that will punch you in the guts with no warning when the mood hits, even with no variance in throttle input, and it'd look you in the eyes and tell you it'd be happy to do it again if you aren't cognizant of the revs it's doing mid corner. The annoying part is that this "punch", this switchover point is well within operating range in a race. Often in the Atenza, you'll be using a gear higher than what the revs and speed allow (see: Turn 4 Interlagos), because a higher gear is more stable, and this is where the engine really punches you out of the blue. Granted, this can be a good thing as the Atenza has healthy mid range torque, but it's frustrating because you never know how much power you're going to get each time you press the gas pedal, especially with GTS' ridiculously mapped throttle pedal. Often in the Atenza, the optimal way to put power down is to mildly spin the rear tyres with a hint of opposite lock to keep it straight, and even then, it is fighting a losing battle with MR cars.

The sort of driving style it demands from the driver to wring the most out of it means that it suffers in longer races that involve tyre wear and fuel depletion. With brake bias optimally towards the front, the slightly front heavy Atenza chews through its tyres at a menacing rate. To share an example of this, I qualified pole at Red Bull Ring for 2020 Series Round 2. I ended up 3rd behind 2 911s as they slowly eroded my lead away. SuperGT in an AMG GT3 also caught the pole Atenza in that very same race. With only Racing Hard tyres on offer and a relatively mild 5x tyre wear rate over 15 laps, the Atenza visibly struggles, so you can imagine what a longer race with worse wear rates and softer compounds will do to the Atenza.

Me in a 911 Sandwich
That all said, I do wholly believe the Atenza is almost the best FR car in Gr. 3, and improvements on an FR platform will be very difficult to achieve. Thus, I was a little annoyed when Mazda announced a new Gr. 3 car, that is still an FR. The Atenza is as good as an FR car is going to be in Gr. 3, so the RX-Vision isn't going to change anything for Mazda, unless it happens to be disgustingly overpowered in some areas due to preferential treatment of an official partner, which would stink even worse than if the car was bad. Then again, Mazda's only rear mid engined production car is the AZ-1, which isn't wowing anyone when listed by its lonesome on a résumé. Mazda knows how to make spectacular front engine cars, from the Demio to the RX-8, so it's hard to fault them for sticking with what they know. In fact, if Mazda attempted a MR car right now, it'd probably end up worse than the FR RX-Vision we currently have. It's just such a waste, because a virtual environment is the perfect place to start learning how to make a stellar MR car. The competitive nature of the game makes me wish they'd at least try it, but Mazda probably can't justify the cost of putting resources into a 2 door, mid engine sports car, even if only in a fantasy setting. I still fantasise and daydream of a transversely mounted 4 Rotor rear mid engine all wheel drive car from Mazda, though. *cough* Sorry, where was I? Oh, right, Atenza vs RX-Vision.

Even without looking at the numbers, the first thing that strikes anyone I'm sure when seeing these two cars together is just how much shorter in height the RX-Vision is. Despite its long hood big enough to swallow Tokyo Skytree sideways, it has a wheelbase visibly shorter than the sedan based Atenza, being a 2 door coupé. These dimensions directly and emphatically translate over behind the wheel; the RX-Vision is a way sharper cornering beast than its stable mate Atenza. The trademark effortless front end turn in of a front mid engined Rotary car is unfettered and undiluted with time, as the RX-Vision is a car whose front end you really can chuck into corners at breakneck, almost comical speeds. It's almost startling how much the front end grips and yanks the car sideways when you tell it to, even on the default Racing Hard tyres. Being naturally aspirated, it doesn't have sudden torque spikes as the Atenza, even if Rotary Engines are peaky by nature. While the SkyActiv-R in the RX-Vision is as mentioned, a peaky engine, the buildup is a lot more linear, and therefore more predictable.

So linear and responsive is the throttle in fact, that, coupled with the car's natural lightness and compact dimensions, this car feels as if it were pivoted dead centre in between your brake and accelerator pedals. Any slight touch or adjustment of either feet, and the car leans accordingly to the front or rear in a proportionate manner instantly. It's a car that is so responsive and tactile, it honestly feels like part of your body sometimes. This, coupled with how tail happy it is, makes for a very exhilarating drive, as you, the driver, is wholly in control, and are given all the tools to make or break a lap, and the car is always looking to break its rear end out.
Another advantage Rotary Engines are known for is their top end performance, as they traditionally rev very smooth, high, and make everything up top. This also means Rotary Engines and turbochargers are a match made in heaven, and why I was so surprised the SkyActiv-R is NA. However, the RX-Vision is a very strong contender in the top end, with a peaky engine in a low drag body, à la FD RX-7. It flirts with 280km/h (~174mph) before having to brake for The Chase at Bathurst. This puts it on equal footing with the pre 1.59 nerf GT-R GT3 (see: Bathurst link above), which you may remember as the King of Straight Line Missiles.

It's lighter than the Atenza. It hits higher speeds than the Atenza. It turns in better than the Atenza. It looks better than the Atenza. It's looking like a complete landslide victory for the RX-Vision in this sibling squabble. But that's not to say that the RX-Vision doesn't have its own set of flaws, either.

The RX-Vision has a claimed mass distribution of 48:52, presumably with a full tank of fuel aft the cockpit, where FRs usually keep their fuel. I was initially very happy to hear the mass distribution, as I had hoped that it would make it handle a little like a MR car. Yes, it does almost have the turn-in capability of an MR, though you have to wring it harder than a MR for it. But therein lies the problem; the mouth of the RX-Vision writes cheques its butt can't cash. The front end is responsive, willing, able, and savage, but the rear simply can't keep up with how well the front end turns. Fully utilising all the front end grip available on turn-in, especially in slow to mid speed corners, usually invites the rear end to swing out. Often, you'll need to roll onto the throttle just a little bit right before hitting an apex, just to get some weight over the rear tyres to settle the rear of the car before the corner exit.

Given the car's tail happy nature, I think most will set the brake bias towards the front much like the Atenza, at about -2. That is not to say however, that the RX-Vision's brake bias is non negotiable; on tracks that favour MR cars like Spa, I've found my best hot lap time to be set with a rear brake bias, at +1, as Spa really necessitates sliding the car into late apexes in braking zones, and don't have many downhill braking zones like Bathurst that kills slidey cars under braking. Unlike the Atenza however, the RX-Vision's Brake Bias choices are purely for handling purposes, instead of being a spiteful compromise for longevity.

Because of how tail happy it is, the RX-Vision is almost the FR equivalent of the Huracán GT3 in the game: both require sliding the car precisely into corner apexes, are difficult to master because of it. They both have very high skill ceilings, but is extremely rewarding to any driver that has the skills to make the most of the car's strengths. The RX-Vision, just by adjusting its brake bias, is a very adaptive, malleable, and tactile tool, with a wide range of behaviour options, and with each setting producing distinct, but not drastic changes. These are traits I absolutely adore in my cars.

In terms of raw stopping power however, the RX-Vision requires a markedly longer distance to scrub off speed for a corner in comparison to the Atenza. That's fine, of course, because that's akin to saying that the brakes on the RX-Vision don't stop the car as well as running the car into a brick wall, which is what stopping the Atenza feels like. The difference is only about a few metres on Hard tyres, but it multiplies on softer compounds. This comparative lack of stopping power and stability under braking means the RX-Vision needs to brake early and carefully, which makes it prone to being passed, and hard to make passes with, especially if it gives a car behind its slipstream for a long straight.

This all makes the RX-Vision a rather tricky car to nail a lap with. However, I find that on Racing Medium tyres and above, the nervousness is somewhat massaged out of the car, and its slides give you more margin for error before biting your head off. This is a very, very strong car on softer compounds of tyres, almost as if it were set up for them instead of its default Hard tyres. In fact, the car's suspension is set so stiff that it absolutely falls apart into shambles on a track like Bathurst, Soft tyres or not. I don't even want to imagine what this thing feels like on the Nordschleife.

Lastly, and this is the one thing that left the strongest impression on me after having driven the RX-Vision, and it's sadly a bad one. I take huge issue with how this thing sounds. I am not kidding you when I say that this car has the EXACT same engine note as the 787B's sound in this game, which in itself is a joke in comparison to the real thing. Please let me indulge you in a slight tangent on the history of the 787B's sound in Gran Turismo Sport:

The 787B debuted in Gran Turismo Sport sounding... distinctly off. Here's a link to a thread I started discussing the 787B. It's so bad that it was immediately addressed in the next patch, the most notable fix being the reintroduction of the "brapping" (the irregular idle sounds bridge ported Rotary Engines are known for) at idle that the real car is synonymous with. Even then, the brapping felt very artificial, as it seemed to just be a sound sample played when the engine was idling, and then stopped when you revved the car. This was in contrast to the earlier GT6's more true to life 787B, whose brapping will increase in frequency with revs until it was so frequent it became a consistent sound, forming the engine's note, and will similarly break from a smooth, constant sound into highly frequent braps when revs decrease.. This, coupled with how starkly different it handles in Sport in comparison to 6, made me doubt the 787B's overall authenticity in Sport.

The kicker came when I chanced upon a Facebook post, shared on my news feed (Mazda fanboy here, remember). It was a post by Defined Autoworks, which stated that the folks at PD approached DA to record sounds from a 4 Rotor RX-7 to be used as the sound for the 787B, and I immediately flew into a rage.

So you're telling me that you have the 787B in the game, but you couldn't even run its engine to record sounds for the game? If the car couldn't even run, how would PD have gotten its performance data to replicate faithfully in the game? The car is sitting in Mazda's HQ in Hiroshima! It's kept in running condition to be occasionally brought out for demo runs in events! And you're telling me it's easier to fly over to America, find a 4 Rotor RX-7, and record that instead? Is the 787B in this game just an aesthetic skin then? That approximates the 787B's performance based on... what, exactly? That thinks any 4 Rotor is a suitable substitute for the King of All Rotary Engines, the R26B? In a game that touts itself as "The Real Driving Simulator"?

2 years later, PD and Mazda jointly advertise a brand new Rotary Engine in the RX-Vision, dubbed the "SkyActiv-R". Bad enough they're the sound isn't even authentic, but they're trying to pass off a 29 year old Group C engine as a brand new SkyActiv-R engine! That's the part that really disappoints me and gets me mad. You're telling me Defined Autoworks have developed the new SkyActiv-R by themselves, and sold it to Mazda out of the sheer goodness in their hearts? You're telling me damn near 30 years later, and Rotary Engine technology hasn't advanced? That you have had no new breakthroughs, no new ideas? Earlier, I said that only the Group C Rotary Engines could make this kind of power in NA trim. Well I guess that sentence still holds true, because the RX-Vision GT3 just has a crippled approximation of a Group C engine in it, producing two thirds of the power and revving 500rpm lower.

Even the torque curve looks almost identical, with the RX-Vision smoothening out the curve a little and chopping off the last 500rpm. Peak power of the 787B comes at 9,000rpm, just 100 above the RX-Vision's 8,900rpm peak power (Mazda's official blog claims the RX-Vision's peak power is at 9,000rpm). Peak torque is produced at exactly the same RPM: 6,500rpm for both cars. This is literally just a 29 year old Group C engine lumped into an FIA GT3 race car that's SUPPOSED to enforce production engines to be used in the race cars. Well, Mazda, you feel like selling a homologation car with a NA Bridge Ported 4 Rotor that does 9,500rpm, does the brap brap brap at idle, while still passing emission laws?

Here is a video comparing the startup sounds of the 787B and the RX-Vision GT3:

I'm not an audiophile, so I'm not sure what exactly are the terms I'm looking for to describe what I'm hearing. The RX-Vision has the exact same engine note as the 787B's, just redlining a bit sooner, so it can't achieve the highest pitch of the 787B, though everything before the last 500rpm sounds identical. The two cars sound the most different in the cockpit, as the 787B seems to have a lot more... ambient? auxiliary? reverb? other mechanical sounds mixed in with the engine, whereas the RX-Vision sounds a lot simpler in comparison, but still uses the exact same engine note. In essence, the RX-Vision seems to have a very simplified, pared back version of the 787B's sound.

For reference (and because everyone SHOULD hear this engine at least once in their lives!), here's what a 787B sounds like in real life:

The main reason why I'm so happy to see the RX-Vision brought back into prominence in 2020 is because it showed me Mazda still has a vested interest in the Rotary Engine. That it was still developing both the engine and a car around it. If Mazda doesn't even have one fantasy Rotary Engine it can supply to Gran Turismo, then I don't want to 🤬 hear it. I don't want to 🤬 see it. This is like showing up to a car workshop only to be told, "Welcome, we can't fix your car, but we have really good coffee in a luxurious waiting room and our receptionist is hot and single". I DON'T CARE, can you fix my car or not? I don't care if the new RX car looks good, I don't care if it's the best car in the game, DOES IT HAVE AN ENGINE? I don't think I'm being unreasonable, either. It's literally advertised as having a brand new Rotary Engine, dubbed the "SkyActiv-R".

8 years since the RX-8 discontinued. 8 years and there still isn't even anything somewhat credible or tangible on Rotary Engine development. 8 years later and I can't even get an approximation of a production Rotary Engine for the near future. This car is basically the same as any other concept or fantasy car: empty promises and ego waving. I feel played. I feel cheated.

OOooooooooh I am so mad. I WANTED to see, hear, and drive a NEW Rotary damnit. Is that really so awful? Is that asking for too much? And if it is, can you stop playing with my feelings, pretending it's not too much to ask, Mazda?

Urgh. I still have a review to wrap up.

Alright, calm down. Diplomacy. Namaste. Zen. Heiwa. Be an adult. Deep breaths.

Given the state of the world right now, it's not difficult to imagine that the development of the RX-Vision, be it for the real world roads or digitally, has been hampered. I therefore can understand the need to reuse an old engine. Having the car right now, I'm really not sure if it would have been better off delayed until it had a proper engine. Still, the car was promised to be in the game by May 25th, before the whole world went into chaos. I applaud PD and Mazda for being able to get the car into the game 3 days early despite that. I love the contests held with the RX-Vision, and how involved Mazda are with them. It's a level of involvement that is unprecedented for a manufacturer in this game, and I'm happy to say that Mazda did it.

Back to the car.

Here are the results of some hot lap and high tyre wear tests I did for both the Atenza and RX-Vision.

Circuit de Spa Francorchamps
12:00h
Grip Loss: Real
Tyre Wear (Time Attack): Off
Fuel Consumption (Time Attack): Off, full tank
Tyre Wear (Wear Test): 10x
Fuel Consumption (Wear Test): 1x, full tank start
Driven with Logitech G29 on Game Version 1.59

Time Attack:

Wear Test:

Atenza was on -2BB, RX-V on +1. The Atenza had its nuts revved off the engine because that's the fastest way to drive it. The RX-Vision was short shifted at about 9,000rpm, as I find that that's the fastest way to drive the RX-Vision. Yes, I'm short shifting a Rotary. Someone tie me to a stake and shoot me.

Possibly because of its lower drag and lighter body, the RX-Vision very slightly edges the Atenza out on fuel consumption. It certainly helped that the RX-Vision was short shifted. Tyre wear however, is a complete annihilation by the RX-Vision. The RX-Vision on the 5th lap alone pulls an advantage of 2.6 seconds over the Atenza, and a total advantage of 8.1 seconds over 5 laps.

I did the same test at Bathurst, a track that nixes the trend that MR cars are the ideal layout for racing, since Bathurst has many steep downhill braking zones that unsettles and slides out MR cars. The following is the result:

Despite the RX-Vision having the clear advantage on the top end, the Atenza sets a faster time than the RX-Vision, and it's probably the only track it'd be able to beat the RX-Vision in. The Atenza is a lot more forgiving and less upset by the imperfections in the road surface that defines Bathurst. It is also frighteningly quick down Brock's Skyline, where the RX-Vision has to tiptoe around it to keep its rear end in check, even with Brake Bias set at -2. Not only is the Atenza a lot faster than the RX-Vision here, it is also a lot easier to drive. I suspect however, that in the hands of an alien, the RX-Vision just might set a better lap time than if he could in an Atenza. There felt like a whole other dimension of untapped potential in the RX-Vision I couldn't, daren't utilise on Bathurst, and there was a freak accident lap where I was suddenly up on my PB by some 7 tenths of a second at Codrod Straight, before choking it away. I have never been able to replicate that.

My personal let down hopes, dreams, and expectations aside, the RX-Vision completely dominates the Atenza Gr. 3 on every front, except for very few exceptional oddities in tracks that men in suits would shudder to even look at, like Bathurst. I want to say that the Atenza is at least an easier drive, but its torque spikes don't make it very beginner friendly. Given the incredibly tail happy nature of the RX-Vision, I'd say the Atenza is still a markedly easier drive than the RX-Vision, and that's even discounting the fact that I'm more used to the Atenza. If the Atenza retained its performance pre 1.59, I'd say that it'd be a dead even heat between the two, as it would be slightly quicker in a hot lap scenario, with an advantage in braking and accelerating, while losing out on longevity, top end, and cornering. In fact, I'm quite sad that the Atenza is seemingly shafted now because of the arrival of the RX-Vision. I've been with the Atenza since the game's launch, and I've many fond memories with it. I wish it had its own niches against the RX-Vision at a competitive level, so we have more open and realistic options, instead of being made to fawn over the new toy. A new toy I'm highly dissatisfied with, that has left a very bitter taste in my mouth despite being clearly the better racing car of the two.

Small visual things:

The RX-Vision is a beautiful car, and I think many in the player feel the same. However, while I find the design language and individual elements of the car beautiful, something about it as a whole just doesn't "click" with me. I still think it's way too long length wise, and I really don't see why it has to have a hood that long. Perhaps it's to harken back to some type of classic coupé or roadster that I'm not aware of. On its own as-is, the proportions make it look almost like a LM GTE racer, stretched out for stability and aerodynamic purposes for high speed runs on Le Sarthe, except with the long part in the wrong end. It makes photo shoots a little awkward for me, as frontal shots are usually dominated by the long front end, with the rear buried away into the back of the shot. To look at in a moving, interactive manner, such as walking around it during paused replays, the car conveys to me more of a Hot Rod and straight line monster on rails feel, rather than a well balanced, corner craving machine that Mazda cars, especially the RX line, are renowned for. Of course, that's not to say it doesn't handle well, or that it shouldn't be a missile in the straights; I'm just saying the styling conveys very mixed and confusing messages to me, personally. It doesn't have the cohesiveness and focus in a package I'm looking for. I personally believe that form should follow function up to a certain point in automotive design, but the RX-Vision feels like a designer's fantasy sketch trying to wrestle physics into submission more than something built from the ground up to perform well.

That said, the view from the interior is really good in this car, the disproportionate hood notwithstanding. The default interior view of this car seems to be designed around the game's HUD elements, such that everything is visible at once, which makes me think the folks at PD are more responsible for this interior than Mazda themselves. I think this is most prominent where the screen showing the rear facing camera's feed is mounted. The game's Multi Function Display (which shows things like brake balance, fuel map, etc.) is right beside the screen, but never overlapping. In VR mode (WARNING: Spoken profanities in the linked YouTube video), your lap times and lap count are shown right above the screen, again, never overlapping. I do wish the screen itself was set higher and possibly larger though, where the VR HUD would be. The bucket seats are also so ridiculously deep in this car that the seat is all you'll see when looking sideways, unless you're playing with VR and can move your head forward. Otherwise, the interior of the RX-Vision GT3 doesn't have much else noteworthy to offer, which is perfectly fine for a stripped out racing car.

The display on the dash accurately displays:

• Revs
  • Fuel used (But not fuel remaining?)
  • Speed
  • High beam use
  • Lap count
  • Last lap time
  • Best lap

Everything else in this display is either irrelevant in this game, or complete bollocks. Tyre pressures at all four corners are displayed, but is completely irrelevant in the context of this game as players can't adjust tyre pressures, or does this game simulate tyre pressure intricacies to my knowledge. Water and oil temperatures are displayed, but serve no function as the game doesn't simulate heat issues. Brake bias, traction control, fuel map, and ABS are entirely bollocks; they're static displays that have no regard for what your car's settings actually are. There are 7 squares lining the bottom of the display, one of which houses the high beam display. I'm not sure what the other 6 can be, as the display doesn't have a handbrake indicator. I can't be too mad at the semi functioning display, since this game has several cars with semi functional displays. Or maybe I can be angry, but am just too tired to be.

Even the rear view on the RX-Vision is excellent. The RX-Vision is one of the very few Gr. 3 cars in the game that has a rear glass panel instead of an opaque piece, so you actually get to look backwards (deep seats notwithstanding). The rear wing's height is set just above your line of sight when looking backwards, which is a very thoughtful and user friendly touch that just somehow oozes Mazda. The RX-Vision GT3 is also one of the very few Gr. 3 cars in the game that uses a more traditional, bottom mount wing stand. Most Gr. 3 cars in the game, real like the R8 and 911, or fictional like the Atenza and NSX, use top mount, swan neck wing stands.

The car has the most comically tiny rear turn signals I HAVE EVER (almost never) SEEN. Take a look!

Hazards are on in the above shot, by the way. Not sure if you noticed.

Pictured: perfectly adequate and legal turn signals in some universe far, far away.

For a car that started life as something that might've seen production, this car doesn't even come with reverse lights, or a third brake light in the middle, which is a personal pet peeve of mine. The microscopic turn signals and complete lack of reverse lights are all consistent with the original 2015 Concept.

Up front, the daytime running lights turn from white to orange and flash on and off. Pretty cool, as I don't think Mazda has used multi function daytime running lights on any car prior. The car comes stock with white lights, which I've changed to yellow on the grey car, because this is supposed to be a GT3 car, is it not? With yellow headlights, the strips of daytime running lights above the headlight also turn yellow.

While it borrows heavily from the FD in terms of styling, I can't help but to find the rear ducts aft the rear tyres almost identical to that of the Atenza Gr. 3's.

Overall, I'm surprisingly bummed out about Update 1.59. The Atenza Gr. 3 was already as good as an FR car could be, so I therefore didn't have much expectations for the RX-Vision, aside from maybe being a pleasant or exciting drive. Even though it out performs the recently nerfed Atenza, the RX-Vision still not a leaderboard darling car; I spent about 20 laps at Spa trying to set a time, and then hopped into the familiar R8 LMS, did 2 laps, and immediately beat my RX-Vision's time by 3 tenths. Despite the wow factor of having a new, stunning looking car added to the game, ostensibly, nothing has really changed for Mazda as a manufacturer, not unless it gets a firm kick in the nuts in Gr. 4, where the Atenza is just about the worst car in the class. Mazda has never qualified for a Gran Turismo World Tour event to date, and I want to say the abysmal Gr. 4 Atenza is to blame for that. As Mazda is now an official partner of Gran Turismo, they're automatically guaranteed a spot in future World Tour events, which comes at the cost of some other manufacturer who has to qualify by merit. And that kinda sucks.

A Very Emotional Tangent:

Mazda is the latest among the Japanese carmakers to captialise on the insatiable thirst for nostalgia that's selling like hotcakes today. Me personally, I find such acts pandering and distasteful. Look, I get it. The FD RX-7 is my childhood dream car. Always is, always will be. I would take an FD RX-7 over any five Ferraris. But those legendary cars of 90s Japan are products of their time, and I understand that. Without an economic boom, how else could Mazda afford to produce something as focused and expensive as the FD RX-7? With today's ever stricter emission and safety laws, we will never have a car as low, sleek, unique, and curvaceous as the FD RX-7 again, and certainly not the pop up headlights. I understand that.

Car manufacturers seem to think that we as car fans just want them to produce sports and supercars that bear their badge. It's more than that. A car means and symbolises more than that. Seeing how badly received the NC1 NSX and A90 Supra have been, I think it's clear that it's very difficult to get a modern car to mean the same thing to us fans, and very difficult for it to stand for the same things as the legendary cars of the 90s did. And that's fine, because this is a very different time and environment from the 90s. What I find distasteful is that automakers feel the need to call these modern sports and supercars the same names as their older legends. When someone mentions "NSX" to me, what immediately comes to mind is the rawest, purest driving experience, an unmistakable, symphonic sound, from a body that's both timeless and classy. A car that pioneered many norms, such as VTEC, and Type Rs. When someone mentions "Supra" to me, I think of a similarly stylish body, with an engine so severely and ridiculously under stressed, 4 figure horsepower numbers are realistically possible. I think of a car that flips the middle finger to what usually comes to mind when people mention "Toyota". I think the only modern take on a classic legend done correctly is, oddly, the one that's the most difficult to pull off: the R35 GT-R. It still has the same insane tuning potential of the original, and it even replicates the original cars' insane success in motorsports, to name just a few things the R35 has done so, so right.

Top Secret Wangan Supra (A80) by bancho666 Download Link.

Neither the NC1 NSX nor the A90 Supra deliver what are synonymous with their names. It's a very different world we now find ourselves in. I'm glad to have been able to enjoy a bit of that immaculate magic that was the 90s Japanese car boom, but I also understand and accept that the past is dead. I'm in the shocking minority in wanting the past to just be left alone to rest in peace, out of respect for my own experiences. Putting these legendary names on cars that share little to nothing in vision, concept, and ideals to the original cars feel to me as disrespectful as telling someone their dead wife is back, and shoving another woman onto him with the same name. It's not what I'm looking for. What I'm looking for can never be here anymore. And it's insulting to insinuate that I could ever have it again.

Yellowhat Supra Replica by The_Dreamer_79 Download Link.

If the day ever comes where Mazda ever releases a new Rotary Sports car, a new "RX", I hope it will be every bit as beautiful to look at, timeless in design, uncompromising in its attitude as the FD RX-7, while offering a driving experience so raw, unfettered, cohesive, and balanced, that could only come from a Rotary Sports car, that can only come from a company that cares as much about driving dynamics as Mazda. I hope it'd be low. I hope it'd be lightweight. I hope it will at least come with the option of a manual. That's all I want. And I think Mazda is up for that task, if the continued success of the Roadster is anything to go by. I know they know beauty and driving dynamics, and I trust that if they ever release another sports car, it'd look and drive great. The only problems I see right now is getting Rotary Engines to meet emission laws, making the low end torque adequate for street driving, and figuring out its comparatively short maintenance intervals. Oh, and, of course, justifying the cost of developing a sports car in a world strangely obsessed with SUVs.

I understand that it will take time. I understand that it will cost a lot of money. I know it's difficult being the only car manufacturer taking the Wankel Engine seriously. I know the accountants and managers and marketing department will probably give the crazy engineers a hard time. And it's okay. I'll wait as long as it takes. Please just make sure that if or when you guys do release a new Rotary Sports car, it is done right, out of respect for your own legacy, and for anyone who's had their lives impacted or changed by the cars you've made, me being just one of them. I hope I can see someone's passion, soul and ideals in it. I just hope it can be as honest and pure as the FD RX-7 is. I hope it will mean as much to the world, and to Mazda themselves, as the FD did. And if it's not looking to be possible, if you guys just want to focus on the equally groundbreaking SkyActiv-X engine, please, just go right ahead with it. Win Car of the Year awards with it. Win Le Mans with it if you can. Part of the reason why I really dislike this pandering to nostalgia in games, in cars, is that the past always feel so much like shackles, preventing newer, better ideas to be born, let alone nature and flourish. Go ahead and make something as impactful and mind blowing as the RX-7 was in the past if you want to, if you can. It doesn't even have to be a Rotary. Just don't call it a "RX" if it isn't.

So, please, there's really no need to tease me with a Rotary revival like that. There's really no need to play with my hopes and feelings by releasing a half baked fantasy car into a dying game. I don't need this sort of anguish; real life is cruel enough to me.

Back