Yellow Bird, goes fast and takes a left

• Thread starter Der Alta
  • 6 comments

Der Alta

Official GTP Bouncer
Staff Emeritus
DerAlta
I jumped in Yellow bird and headed out to Super Speedway endurance race. Nothing exciting, but it can be fun. I de-tuned the car so that the only upgrades were Full suspension, Brake Balancer, Full transmission, Triple plate clutch, Racing flywheel, Full LSD, lightweight 3 and T5 tires. Total HP at 397hp.

I easily qualified in first place, and then switched to Normal tires for the run. I knew my biggest competition would be the other RGT, but was unsure of his set-up. I also knew he'd pit on lap 9.

The question was, could I hold with him, or would my tires burn out first?

6'30+ seconds into the race, I took my first pit on lap 10. 3 tires were roasted, and the 4th wasn't too far behind. Both left side tires went first, then the right rear as it was now carrying the weight around the corners. The AI RGT pitted on lap 9. The final question, is what condition is my oil in. I don't recall when I changed it, and I know that around lap 80 is when I start to lose power. And that's on good oil. I ran 7 qualifying laps, so that means my best case scenario is on lap 73, I'll begin dropping. The tension builds.

I exited the pit in 2nd place, approx. 4.2 seconds down

Pit schedule:
Me, 10, 18, then every 9, except for the lap 99, I went one more.
RGT, every 9 laps
Ruf 3400s every 7 laps
Nismo skyline lap 9
Celica TRD 27
Spoon S2000 28 laps

On lap 16 the Celica TRD was the first to fall off the lead lap

My pit on lap 18 brought me out just a hairs breath in front of the other RGT. It looks like he's got buckets more acceleration than I. My only chance is to beat him in the corners. Which isn't that hard. I'm just wondering who I'm chasing, as the AI RGT is on my rear bumper, and the 1st place is a ½ lap out in front.

Coming into the latter portion of the first corner on lap 17, the AI RGT and I have a serious incident. He takes a very sharp left and caves in my right side door. Knocked me clean up onto the grass. My pit chief was shortly ejected from the track after his "polite" discussion with the Other RGT's crew.

At that point, I began slowly creeping away from the AI RGT, and chasing down first place. By lap 25, I managed to catch the Spoon S2000 that was leading the pack. He's due to pit soon, as am I in another two laps. I'm certain that I'll win this day out, but not by much. If my oil goes bad, I'm in real trouble.

At the end of lap 27, I exited the pit trailing the S2000 by about 2.4 seconds. He dropped into the pit on the next lap, and I regained the lead. Come lap 36, I was out in front by about 5.8 seconds on the AI RGT. Enough to keep me comfortable, but I'm wondering how far back the S2000 is.

At pit exit, The S2000 didn't catch me, so I'm now far enough ahead that I need'nt worry about him. The AI RGT is only 2.7 seconds backs, so I'll have to keep attention to my lines through the corners.

Lap 40, I had a controller malfunction which cost me the lead. I have extensions on my controller, so that I can sit back far enough from the 47" screen. It came loose, and I had to jump up and correct it. All total cost me about 11 seconds, so I'm now 7.1+ out of 1st, and trailing the S2000 who's holding second.

Lap 42, the Nismo took out my passenger rear quarter with a ridiculous attempt at blocking me. My assistant crew chief was shortly ejected for having a similar "discussion" with the Nismo's pit crew. He's now waiting on the bus. I'm running out of crew members and am likely to have to change my own tires if this keeps up.

Pit stop 5 (lap 45) was quick enough, and I'm now trailing the S2000 (leader ahead of the AI RGT) by a mere 18.3 seconds. He's not due to pit until lap 56, and I've got another pit before then. Ouch... It's now getting tough.

I managed to catch the S2000, but not the RGT. He's still leading me by 3.2 seconds when we hit pit stop number 6. At pit exit, I'm not far off the AI RGT, but the S2000 has certainly stepped way out in front. The AI RGT and I pit on a 9 lap schedule, the S2000 doesn't. However, he's due to pit in 2 laps, so I'm not excessively worried.

Lap 63 pit stop found me 1.4 seconds off 1st, and stalking closer. In the next few laps, I should be able to catch him. Lap 70, I passed into the lead, and by the time I fubar'd and pitted on lap 71, I was 1.6 seconds out in front. This forced me into running 10 laps next time to set-up a 9 lap stint to my last pit stop.

I held the lead until lap 81 when , 2.8 seconds leading, I pitted in. The S2000 took the lead by 4.4 seconds. He's due to pit shortly, and that should hopefully drop him from the running. I had demolished that lead when he did take his scheduled 3rd stop on lap 84.

Lap 90 was my final pit stop. I was leading by about 4 seconds, and began to slowly stretch that lead out. Little by little, that lead grew to 7.7 seconds. That's when the frustration and aggravation set in. I had worked very diligently to win this race. Knowing that the AI RGT had me on the straights and on acceleration, I was worried that with my oil situation, I might not have a win in hand. When looking in my rearview mirror, with 1 lap to go I saw the AI RGT head for the pit. It didn't make a big difference, as the S2000 was already a lap down, and therefore, couldn't take second place.

Final Standings:
Yellow Bird: 1:11'23.863
RGT: +37.247
Spoon S2000: +1 lap
Ruf 3400s: + 4laps
Celica TRD: + 5 laps
Nismo Skyline R32: + 9 laps.

Average Lap:42.839
Fast lap: (qualifying on T5's) 37.865
Most laps were in the 38 second range, with "pit in" lap being 58-59 seconds, and pit out being 53-54 seconds.

200,000cr and a Clio Cup Car. Dumped that and kept the cash. My oil had dropped from 397HP to 390hp. So the next attempt will have to be with less car.

Thanks

AO

Nice write up.

[picky mode]
The Yellowbird was a CTR2, was it not?
[/picky mode]

[super-pedant mode]
A CTR2 Sport, in fact.
[/super-pedant mode]

Although what's not sporty about a standard 500hp CTR2 I don't know...

Ye-llow bird, high up in banana tree...

No hang on. It's a banana.

First things I thought, almost simoteneously, when I heard 'yellow bird' was:

a:.) How did a Wing Car (Plymouth Superbird) get into GT4, and how did I miss it?
gn70_015.jpg

b:.) Did somebody manage to import The Pit's (a nr2003 site) '88 T-bird Aero War model into GT3?
CitgoTbirdNB.jpg

c:.) What the hell is he talking about?

Latest Posts

Back