Yet *another* Model of 360

That's right! MS is kind enough to render all 9 million 360's on the market nearly obsolete for users with HDTV's that are HDMI capable!

If you want HDMI, you better shell out more cheddar cheese for this bad boy!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/01/05/the-second-xbox-360-revealed-codename-zephyr

I shudder to even think what the HDD is going to cost as a stand alone, seeing as how the 20GB is a "mere" $99.

It's like they're finally carrying over their Windows business model into their gaming division...only without the upgrades.

On one hand, this'll give the PS3 a run for it's money if the price remains the same.

On the other hand, if it's the same price, I'd feel cheated. I only had a 360 for less than a year for crying out loud!

And I'd laugh my butt off if the HDD as a stand-alone is more than $120.

All I know is that if I get shafted on new, exciting features in the future because I have the original HDD and not the jumbo sized one, they can say bye-bye to my support.

The larger hard drive makes sense, especially with their new service to "rent" HD movies from the marketplace. I'll probably end up buying one eventually because knowing MS, the new HDD won't be compatible with the older 360s.

Good news! I bet it'll be the same price too.. no doubt. So, no worries here.

edit: however, I'm sure the HDD may add to the price.

The HDMI setting will not make the Xbox 360 games look better, since the PS3 dev software is only running at half the power of the PS3. But I hope Microsoft will do a trade in scheme with are original Xbox 360's so we can get some money off Xbox 360 V2.0.

However since there is no news on the official Xbox 360 website, this could still not be true.

The HDMI setting will not make the Xbox 360 games look better, since the PS3 dev software is only running at half the power of the PS3. But I hope Microsoft will do a trade in scheme with are original Xbox 360's so we can get some money off Xbox 360 V2.0.

However since there is no news on the official Xbox 360 website, this could still not be true.

1. HDMI is digital, component is analog. Digital looks better than analog, and so games being output on HDMI will look better than being output at component.

2. This is a rumor, though it'll most likely be true. Of course it won't be on the official website. :dunce:

Duċk;2532468
1. HDMI is digital, component is analog. Digital looks better than analog, and so games being output on HDMI will look better than being output at component.

2. This is a rumor, though it'll most likely be true. Of course it won't be on the official website. :dunce:
Even with the HDMI cable being digital, the Xbox 360 will not be able to top the looks of the PS3's full power, once the developers get the full power software for making games.

Also HDMI will not look good on 1080i, since the Xbox 360 was mainly designed for 720p games tops. But the graphics for the Xbox 360 was mainly designed for component.

I don't see the big deal. So long as Microsoft isn't stupid enough to price it the same as the current 360, it can be viewed as just another console update. It is a longstanding tradition, after all.

Even with the HDMI cable being digital, the Xbox 360 will not be able to top the looks of the PS3's full power, once the developers get the full power software for making games.

Yeah, well, we'll see when that happens. I've heard from many places that the Cell is hard to work with and develop for.

And give the PS3 a run for its money? Like it's not doing that already?

I question the "yet another" part of the thread title. That makes, what.. TWO versions of the X360? Unlike the PS3, the two "packages" of 360 actually have the exact same hardware. This "new" one is actually the only different one out there.

I also question the "MS is kind enough to render all 9 million 360's on the market nearly obsolete for users with HDTV's that are HDMI capable" bit. My TV has HDMI. And I don't need to upgrade my console. Why, you ask? Because I'm already playing games and watching movies in 1080p. Contrary to popular belief, Jeremy, there ARE other ways of getting a 1080p signal than just HDMI.

So it basically boils down to "Why should I care?" There's no benefit to me in this new machine. Nothing would change.

Yeah, well, we'll see when that happens. I've heard from many places that the Cell is hard to work with and develop for.

And give the PS3 a run for its money? Like it's not doing that already?
But Epic said it is easy to work on, but the main winners of this generation of consoles are the gamers. However if this news is true, then I cannot decide if I should upgrade, because it's like 50/50 for me.

If it gets released, I'll buy it... although my TV is totally awesome, it can't display 1080P from the 360... but over HDMI, it does !

Is there a chance this is photoshopped BS? Hard to tell, but done well many things look real even though it's photoshopped.

Assuming it is real I can't see it selling at the same price as the current 360 Premium did on release. It has to be more expensive. Maybe $500? So that would make three 360 SKU's, Core, Premium and...whatever they'll call it!
And though it is possible to get 1080p via VGA and even component most HDTV's are not compatible with either @1080p, at least here in the UK they're not.
Thing is a lot of 360 owners want HDMI. But will they pay for a new one that may cost $500?
If it's real then I can see the Core being stopped and the Premium being reduced in price. But if (and this is a big if) this "new" 360 is launched it will annoy a lot of people. Not all obviously, but a very vocal number will be..

It's not going to render current 360's even nearly obsolete, but it is a tad irritating. Multiple versions of consoles are always being released, though - DS / DS Lite, anyone?

Hopefully some kind of adapter is released. I wouldn't buy a whole new 360 for it, though.

It's not going to render current 360's even nearly obsolete, but it is a tad irritating. Multiple versions of consoles are always being released, though - DS / DS Lite, anyone?

At least with the DS Lite it costs $130 to upgrade, instead of a potential $400-$500.

I question the "yet another" part of the thread title. That makes, what.. TWO versions of the X360? Unlike the PS3, the two "packages" of 360 actually have the exact same hardware. This "new" one is actually the only different one out there.

I also question the "MS is kind enough to render all 9 million 360's on the market nearly obsolete for users with HDTV's that are HDMI capable" bit. My TV has HDMI. And I don't need to upgrade my console. Why, you ask? Because I'm already playing games and watching movies in 1080p. Contrary to popular belief, Jeremy, there ARE other ways of getting a 1080p signal than just HDMI.

So it basically boils down to "Why should I care?" There's no benefit to me in this new machine. Nothing would change.

Really? I had no idea the $300 X360 came with a hard drive.

Who are you trying to fool?

Since when is a missing HDD the exact same hardware? And since when is wired and wireless controllers the same thing?

The PS3 lacks Wi-Fi and Card Readers in one model, however both are upgradeable via USB, easily enough, like the 360's.

Anyway, my thing is, they're just screwing a lot of people who already own a 360 that could possibly want HDMI. Basically MS trashed HDMI, trashed 1080p, and said it wasn't worth it, and now they're shooting for both. In the process, they're telling 9 million people that they weren't important enough to think about in the process, and that only new adopters should benefit from these afterthoughts.

Hah, come on. They're telling 9 million people they weren't important enough to think about in the process? Hint: the 9 million people didn't have to buy the damn system.

I did, and I'm glad. It looks great even without HDMI.

Who are you trying to fool?

Since when is a missing HDD the exact same hardware? And since when is wired and wireless controllers the same thing?

I'm talking about the system itself, not its peripherals. A Core 360 can be upgraded to a Premium. A 20GB PS3 cannot. Things are built-in to the 60GB that cannot be built-in to the 20GB.

Example: I can unhook the HDD from my 360, plug in a wired controller, and bam.. instant Core. You can't do that with a PS3. Hence, different hardware.

So tell me this, then. Why is my Xbox360 going to be "obsolete"? I'm already playing in 1080p. What possible advantage could HDMI provide? Is there ANY reason for me to upgrade AT ALL? No, there isn't. So my system isn't quite so obsolete, is it? Fact is, a lot of folks out there with 1080p TVs are currently playing 360 in 1080p.

You'd be singing a different tune if Sony went with their original plan and left HDMI out of the 20GB.

Fact is, HDMI isn't needed near as bad as you seem to think it is. It's turning into one of those "Wow, I've got to have that" things. Most people don't even know what the hell HDMI is, or what it's for, but dammit, they want it, and they'll pay out the nose for it. And they won't even know why.

Well, I DO know what HDMI is, and what it's for. And my Xbox360 does NOT need it.

Anyway, my thing is, they're just screwing a lot of people who already own a 360 that could possibly want HDMI. Basically MS trashed HDMI, trashed 1080p, and said it wasn't worth it, and now they're shooting for both. In the process, they're telling 9 million people that they weren't important enough to think about in the process, and that only new adopters should benefit from these afterthoughts.
That being said, that is the case everytime hardware is redesigned. For example, the PS2 needed a seperate add-on for online play. The SCPH-7000 came with it out of the box.
The original GBA lacked a backlight. The GBA SP had one.
The original Intellivision had controllers hard-wired into the console, so if they broke you needed a new console. The Intellivision II had controllers that could be taken off of the console.
The original Genny only had stereo output through the headphone jack and/or Sega CD. The Genny II had full stereo support.
I'm sure the PS3 will be redesigned some time in the future, as well.

And the thing is, though, that image quality hit or not, component cables can do 1080p. Hell, this new 360 is worth it just for the 65nm processor. This 360 is hardly making the old one obselete.

Dude, I had an original Genesis. It's the only one I've ever seen.

If they made a good, true remake of Altered Beast for the 360 I'd be in heaven.

Zrow
Dude, I had an original Genesis. It's the only one I've ever seen.

Here you go.
Original Genny.
250px-Sega_Genesis_original_model.jpg

Genny II
250px-Sega_Genesis_second_model.jpg

One day I will own all of them...

Shut up. I don't have one of those yet.
I do, however, have this:
200px-Genesis_Nomad.jpg

beat that one, I dare ya (No one better dare bring out a JVC X' Eye or Laseractive, or I'll cry.).

While I do find it somewhat disheartening that an update could come so quickly, I really do not see a need to "upgrade" any time soon. Being that I have yet to purchase an HDTV (fixing the car comes first, then books for school, then food, then HDTV...), it really doesn't effect me directly. Now given that in current form, the 360 can pump-out 1080p, HDMI is only there for that copy-protected crap, and maybe a few extra oohs and aahs from techies.

...I'm not too worried. I'll be happy when I buy my $500 HDTV, run her at 720p, and just enjoy the damn game or the damn movie instead of worrying how pretty it is, or isn't. Because as we all know, unless you are really, really paying attention, most average people aren't going to see the difference between 720p, 1080i, 1080p, etc.

...And added to that, all of this is irrelevant anyway. Now that there will be 2160p LCD screens on the market (LINKY), 1080p is simply worthless... NOW I NEEDZA PSFOOOORRRR!!!

JR
The PS3 lacks Wi-Fi and Card Readers in one model, however both are upgradeable via USB, easily enough, like the 360's.
To be fair, card readers are hit and miss, and I'm pretty sure the Wi-Fi is too (unless someone can clarify).

Example: I can unhook the HDD from my 360, plug in a wired controller, and bam.. instant Core. You can't do that with a PS3. Hence, different hardware.
Well, there is the chrome on the disc tray... ;)

And the thing is, though, that image quality hit or not, component cables can do 1080p. Hell, this new 360 is worth it just for the 65nm processor. This 360 is hardly making the old one obselete.

I don't understand this "obsolete" thing either. Unless the Zephyr can play games that the original can't, the definition of "obsolete" simply doesn't apply. This is a hardware update, similar to the Playstation2 and PS2. Moving to 65nm was enough to entice me to buy one, since it should solve a lot of heat issues. The other rumors (faster CPU, HDMI, built-in HD-DVD) are icing on the cake. I'd love to see even one of those rumors come true.

Almost forgot:
Wondermega%20par%20JVC%20le%20X-Eye.jpg
pioneer_laseractive.jpg

Just kidding, I don't have one. Never seen one either. I am similarly fascinated by old tech, though. The older the better.

While I do find it somewhat disheartening that an update could come so quickly, I really do not see a need to "upgrade" any time soon. Being that I have yet to purchase an HDTV (fixing the car comes first, then books for school, then food, then HDTV...), it really doesn't effect me directly. Now given that in current form, the 360 can pump-out 1080p, HDMI is only there for that copy-protected crap, and maybe a few extra oohs and aahs from techies.

I think the addition of HDMI -- if true -- is mostly marketing. There is the possibility that it would help with HD-DVD playback by allowing the HD flag crap, but the image quality improvement are debateable at best. It's a game console: the video processing is supplied by whoever could supply large volumes for the cheapest price. A good Toshiba unit (a company not exactly known for hi-fi video) should outperform it.

YSSMAN
...And added to that, all of this is irrelevant anyway. Now that there will be 2160p LCD screens on the market (LINKY), 1080p is simply worthless... NOW I NEEDZA PSFOOOORRRR!!!

I'd give that half a look if it wasn't from Westinghouse. :yuck: This is 2K.

Almost forgot:
Wondermega%20par%20JVC%20le%20X-Eye.jpg
pioneer_laseractive.jpg

Just kidding, I don't have one. Never seen one either. I am similarly fascinated by old tech, though.
You nearly gave me a damned hear attack. I've dreamed of a Laseractive for over 2 years now (I can't justify a JVC X 'Eye, as I already own 2 Sega CDs, but the Laseractive plays Laserdiscs. Laserdiscs!).

Back