You Can Explore Gran Turismo Sport's Scapes in VR with Hacked PS4

This is so very PD. Lets put vast amount of work into things the end user will never notice or get to access even if it means missing a every deadline and pushing out release date after release date. Here's a list of all the amazing stuff tbat's coming - place your bets now on which will never see the light of day!

Sweet! There's an article on this :gtpflag:

This is so very PD. Lets put vast amount of work into things the end user will never notice or get to access even if it means missing a every deadline and pushing out release date after release date. Here's a list of all the amazing stuff tbat's coming - place your bets now on which will never see the light of day!

People should check out the videos thread if they havent been recently and check out all the cool things WhistleSnap has found possible so far.

One of my favs is the debug cameras, that alone will no doubt give me a hundred extra hours of playing GTS. Especially since GT7 is out of 2021. I probably spend too much time looking at the trackside stuff in photomode on the regular game. But the debug camera is awesome and too fun to explore with. It lets you move wherever you want while in replay or live.

You can just toggle a camera mode that you can fly around anywhere and have camera controls like exposure and focus, you can control the focus strength and position too. It can feel like you're recording a track day or controlling a drone and chasing a car, its super fun and will probably never be a feature..

What a waste of development time, PD need a proper leader this guy is an idiot, they could be making much higher quality games and also a new one every 2 years, but instead he gets fixated on stupid stuff like this and wastes months on it, when the cars all sound like vacum cleaners still in 2021.

Last edited:
What a waste of development time, PD need a proper leader this guy is an idiot, they could be making much higher quality games and also a new one every 2 years, but instead he gets fixated on stupid stuff like this and wastes months on it, when the cars all sound like vacum cleaners still in 2021.
Do you think that the visual artists who knit together the Scapes scenes are the same people who do not only the sound but literally everything else on the game, so that by doing this they're not able to do the magical things you want... and are also at the same time all Kazunori Yamauchi? I can't think of any other reason why you'd think creating 3D environments affects the rest of the game in such a manner.

Incidentally, if you think "the cars all sound like vacum cleaners" (sic) you've not been paying a great deal of attention. I do hope the trip through time from 2013 wasn't too rough.

Last edited:
Like car damage he promised for part 4, 5, 6 and then gave up on it blaming hardware not powerful enough. Meanwhile we had games from codemasters and etc that do damage just fine. He adds these stupid features all the time and wastes development time. Like the HD mode in part 2 that you could drive on 1 track and alone on. And then half assed stuff as well like the track editor he promised for years and then turns out was just a rubbish random generator slapped together. Or my favourite 6 years for Gt5 , the only reason he made GT sport was because he couldn't make a full game as he is unable to lead his team to make any real progress so he makes a stripped down game and says it's on purpose because we want to focus on online.

Do you think that the visual artists who knit together the Scapes scenes are the same people who do not only the sound but literally everything else on the game, so that by doing this they're not able to do the magical things you want... and are also at the same time all Kazunori Yamauchi? I can't think of any other reason why you'd think creating 3D environments affects the rest of the game in such a manner.

Incidentally, if you think "the cars all sound like vacum cleaners" (sic) you've not been paying a great deal of attention. I do hope the trip through time from 2013 wasn't too rough.
Mate I understand your fandom for gt, I'm a fan as well. But if you think the cars sound good in gt sport you are on drugs. Play a modern game like dirt rally 2, ACC, I racing or etc and you will hear what a car in game should sound like.
This blind fandom people have is what is the issue that lets these Devs get away with poor quality work.
My point was that he is an idiot as he wastes time on stuff like this and photo mode when the game wasn't even finished on release and was missing a lot of content. Normally a team would prioritise getting core aspects of the game done first then work on nice to haves.

Last edited by a moderator:
your fandom
No.
you are on drugs
No.
blind fandom people have
No.
he is an idiot
No. If you cannot converse politely, don't bother conversing at all.

And don't double post.

he wastes time on stuff like this and photo mode when the game wasn't even finished on release
And to repeat myself, this is the work of someone on the Scapes modelling team, who apparently had the data and opportunity to make five of the thousand Scapes more interactive, and then buried it - you can only get at it by nefarious means. It could, for all we know, be a testbed for VR capability in Scapes which was shelved early in development.

It's not the work of the team that does sounds. It's not the work of the team that does "higher quality games" (whatever that means), and it's not the individual work of Kazunori Yamauchi.

Someone doing this does not take resources from someone else doing something else, or from the game in general.

Last edited:
Did anybody else get serious Project Gotham nostalgia from seeing those garage shots up close?

The scapes on GTS are beautiful but a bit too rigid compared to the old photo mode locations, hopefully these hacks are a sign of what is to come from GT7. I'm sure they have modeled more in 3D since some of the 'view car' scenes are more dynamic than others and after each update the new cars are demoed on a country road if you leave the menu on.

This is depressing as much as it's awesome. Why waste development time and resources in something that never reach players? I will never understand honestly.

Like car damage he promised for part 4, 5, 6 and then gave up on it blaming hardware not powerful enough. Meanwhile we had games from codemasters and etc that do damage just fine. He adds these stupid features all the time and wastes development time. Like the HD mode in part 2 that you could drive on 1 track and alone on. And then half assed stuff as well like the track editor he promised for years and then turns out was just a rubbish random generator slapped together. Or my favourite 6 years for Gt5 , the only reason he made GT sport was because he couldn't make a full game as he is unable to lead his team to make any real progress so he makes a stripped down game and says it's on purpose because we want to focus on online.

Mate I understand your fandom for gt, I'm a fan as well. But if you think the cars sound good in gt sport you are on drugs. Play a modern game like dirt rally 2, ACC, I racing or etc and you will hear what a car in game should sound like.
This blind fandom people have is what is the issue that lets these Devs get away with poor quality work.
My point was that he is an idiot as he wastes time on stuff like this and photo mode when the game wasn't even finished on release and was missing a lot of content. Normally a team would prioritise getting core aspects of the game done first then work on nice to haves.
To be honest and i too am a big fan but i cannot ignore that PD is developing gt from an ivory tower,take for example as you mentioned the sound of the cars in games like AC,i'll even throw in driveclub that to this day sounds superior to gt sport and that came out in 2014,dare i say it,even forza does a better job imo,especially on the car selection for example the koenigsegg jesko i'd be thrilled/excited to see that in gt but like you said and sadly there is some truth to that,they spend way too much time on stuff that is not important instead of focusing on a decent up to date car lineup that includes a jesko and hopefully soundwise gt7 nails it across the board,so many things i want to mention but then i'd be writing all day xD

Rjo
they spend way too much time on stuff that is not important instead of focusing on
This is such a bizarre mindset.

Firstly, you're deciding that what's important to you is the only thing that's important. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the Koenigsegg Jesko, but you don't see me kicking off that [developer A] spent way too much time (and licensing money) on that and not something I would care about.

More importantly though, it catastrophically misunderstands what the processes actually are here. The guys who did this are 3D environment modellers. This is what they work on at PD. It's all that they work on at PD. They don't get involved in manufacturer licensing (which is what's needed to get Koenigsegg to agree to having its cars in the game), or the vehicle capture process (which is what's needed to get the models of the car). It's possible that they might work on the vehicle models at some point, if it's required, but that's the upper limit of where their work crosses over with the car list.

Basically doing [this] thing that you don't care about doesn't impact on [that] thing that you do care about at all, so complaining that they've spent "way too much time" on it "instead of focusing on" something else that isn't their job is ridiculous.
This is depressing as much as it's awesome. Why waste development time and resources in something that never reach players? I will never understand honestly.
Really? Lots of things take up development time and resources and never reach players, in all games. There's ideas and projects that never progress far enough in every game everywhere. At some point in the process, the relevant project heads will report to the relevant department heads, who will report to whoever is their line manager (in this case that's probably Kazunori Yamauchi), and they'll decide which projects to continue with and which not to continue with. This will have been the latter.

The fact that there's only five of these Scapes speaks volumes for how this came to pass. Someone in the Scapes project modelled a small number of environments for VR as a proof of concept, and then that project was canned for whatever reason (probably time/resources to do a significant number of them, or the decision to scale back VR to only what we see in the game) and left. Quite why it was left in the code I don't know, though I'd guess it was to do with the space and lighting data being tied together for the scenes and it wasn't particularly important to undo all that.

It also suggests that VR Scapes was a idea they have already had and may revisit if there's a more powerful console (such as PS5) and time (such as being pushed back a year) allows...

This is such a bizarre mindset.

Firstly, you're deciding that what's important to you is the only thing that's important. I couldn't give a rat's ass about the Koenigsegg Jesko, but you don't see me kicking off that [developer A] spent way too much time (and licensing money) on that and not something I would care about.

More importantly though, it catastrophically misunderstands what the processes actually are here. The guys who did this are 3D environment modellers. This is what they work on at PD. It's all that they work on at PD. They don't get involved in manufacturer licensing (which is what's needed to get Koenigsegg to agree to having its cars in the game), or the vehicle capture process (which is what's needed to get the models of the car). It's possible that they might work on the vehicle models at some point, if it's required, but that's the upper limit of where their work crosses over with the car list.

Basically doing [this] thing that you don't care about doesn't impact on [that] thing that you do care about at all, so complaining that they've spent "way too much time" on it "instead of focusing on" something else that isn't their job is ridiculous.
Really? Lots of things take up development time and resources and never reach players, in all games. There's ideas and projects that never progress far enough in every game everywhere. At some point in the process, the relevant project heads will report to the relevant department heads, who will report to whoever is their line manager (in this case that's probably Kazunori Yamauchi), and they'll decide which projects to continue with and which not to continue with. This will have been the latter.

The fact that there's only five of these Scapes speaks volumes for how this came to pass. Someone in the Scapes project modelled a small number of environments for VR as a proof of concept, and then that project was canned for whatever reason (probably time/resources to do a significant number of them, or the decision to scale back VR to only what we see in the game) and left. Quite why it was left in the code I don't know, though I'd guess it was to do with the space and lighting data being tied together for the scenes and it wasn't particularly important to undo all that.

It also suggests that VR Scapes was a idea they have already had and may revisit if there's a more powerful console (such as PS5) and time (such as being pushed back a year) allows...

So from what i seen sofar from the showcase trailer when they revealed gt 7,it didn't look like they had new cars to show outside from the porsche that i see battling with the mazda on trial mountain,to me it looked like the same list of cars they re-using from gt sport,correct me if i'm wrong,but that's an area where forza seems to surprise on a regular basis with a new vehicle not present in other racing games but that's just from my pov!!

I don't see what any of that has to do with anything I said or anything else in this thread, but...
Rjo
to me it looked like the same list of cars they re-using from gt sport,correct me if i'm wrong
GT7_Trailer_A_Legal_Revised.jpg

Rjo
Outside of the bac mono what else is going to be part of the line up of cars then?
Yes, apart from the thing that proves you wrong and you specifically asked for, what else is there?

GT7_Trailer_E_Legal_Revised.jpg

GT7_Trailer_C_Legal_Revised.jpg

And the answer is nobody knows; we only have one video to go on and we've put all the cars in that - which wasn't many - into our Guide.

And this still has nothing to do with the 3D modelling work done for VR Scapes.

Last edited:
Yes, apart from the thing that proves you wrong and you specifically asked for, what else is there?

And the answer is nobody knows; we only have one video to go on and we've put all the cars in that - which wasn't many - into our Guide.

we'll just wait for when it releases in 2022 then,hopefully no more delays or they'll be going head to head with forza motorsport on the series x!

I always love the "No, you play the game so you're biased" response. Especially on a forum specific to that topic.

Really makes me reflect on myself. Maybe I am biased towards this game I play and against games I know little about?

That's some insightful stuff. I should go share this on the other games forums so they know where I stand. :D

I have a feeling PD started making some of these photomode locations in the 3D style of previous games, and then they discovered the Scapes method halfway thru development and that's why the rest of the locations are only 2D. Because it would look silly having a fraction of locations 3D while 90% are 2D, they decided to just make all Scapes 2D.

I wouldn't mind having a mix of 3D and 2D in GT7 personally. Scapes are very powerful but I find myself being limited by the angle of the shot and lack of freedom of movement sometimes. Even if they just touch up old locations and bring it up to the level of PS5, that's enough for me.

6600 RPM and no oil pressure...

I’m a big fan of the scrapes I usually spend an hour or so after I race and futz around with scenes and other peoples pics...would be dope to see this with better quality version headset.

the VR tour of the cars itself isn’t that bad I enjoy it. Only complaint is really the quality of the VR headset...

Figure I'd put this here, the regular scape scenes with car animations still look pretty cool even though they are not full 360 environments. You can see how it is meant only for that particular camera perspective. Though the cubemap on the car seems to have the whole environment.

Also interesting analytic from the first vid

NVmTTMt.png

Last edited:
Back