Your drifting strategies...

• Thread starter 90crxfreak
  • 123 comments
wat r ur stratagies for drifting?... how do u set up ur car & when driving, how do u hit ur marks?

my cars are usually set up w/ power & weight, usually i would only have a level 1 weight reduction & most of it would be stock cept the motor... since i dont have the money for a steering wheel, i use the controle(duhhh) & (in the fist person veiw "in the car") i try to line up the corner of my screan w/ the turn of the track... yea it sounds weird, but hey... it works really really well

I tune my cars to shoot for the distance. also i aim for lap times with driving. no limit potential grip or drift don't matter to me. do what it takes, thats all that matters.

theres different ways you can get the car to hold its drift and i've nailed pretty much just about all of them. but yeah.

well....Mr. Akina, can u drop by Carroll 106, The Commons on Rivanna Ln. on the George Mason Campus in Fairfax Va. and teach me how to hold my drifts better? i'm decent and i do a pretty good job but a private lesson in GT drifting would come in quite handy....what u say lol?

it is funny to read this thread. drifting any car real or simulated takes practice. i don't care what your setup is, without practice you will never hold a drift or more important you will never control a drift. it is one thing to actually start a drift but getting it to work for you and not against you is the art. practice. there are great videos on the web that show easy methods of car control search and practice.

joe_neutron
it is funny to read this thread. drifting any car real or simulated takes practice. i don't care what your setup is, without practice you will never hold a drift or more important you will never control a drift. it is one thing to actually start a drift but getting it to work for you and not against you is the art. practice. there are great videos on the web that show easy methods of car control search and practice.

ok well thats all good and dandy but drifting in a game that doesnt even support that kind of stuff (since it thinks ur just losing control and sliding around....doesnt realize what u r actually trying to do) is very hard, especially with a D-pad and X button. ive mastered grip driving using only the pad and very well times X button-mashing but driftin gis a whole different ball game....it dont work that easy. i am decent at it and can hold my own but i wanna learn how to be even better....like little things that i could do to improve....idk....i wanna see what other people do and their strategies....as for videos.....sure they r helpful and i have the Drift Bible and tons of other real world as well as GT vids saved on my comp but watching is a lot different than doing.... :dopey:

Izanagi
ok well thats all good and dandy but drifting in a game that doesnt even support that kind of stuff (since it thinks ur just losing control and sliding around....doesnt realize what u r actually trying to do) is very hard, especially with a D-pad and X button. ive mastered grip driving using only the pad and very well times X button-mashing but driftin gis a whole different ball game....it dont work that easy. i am decent at it and can hold my own but i wanna learn how to be even better....like little things that i could do to improve....idk....i wanna see what other people do and their strategies....as for videos.....sure they r helpful and i have the Drift Bible and tons of other real world as well as GT vids saved on my comp but watching is a lot different than doing.... :dopey:

there's your first problem - the D-Pad
Try cozying up to the analog stick, far more precise.

Secondly, everything joe_neutron said is absolutely true.
Moreover, who cares what the game thinks the you are trying to do? or whether or not the game was designed specifically to allow drifting?
Of course it is not going to pick up on the fact that you're trying to drift, its not intelligent - at best all it can do its give you a blank stare from across the room and go "00111010101110100011101011..." or something like that.
You have to tell it that you are drifting. Its the same as a regular car. A production car is not engineered to drive sideways with smoke billowing off the tires, yet it can be done (albeit with much complaining from the tie-rods and ball joints).
Drifting is all about car balance, and your ability to modulate inputs to control the established equilibrium between the rear wheels slipping, and the front wheels tracing out the corner. You have to allow for the steering and throttle to work in harmony to execute a drift, they should never be used to counteract each other (as is the more typical way of viewing them). This is the biggest fact that i try to nail into people. As a bit of an appendix to that point, the smoother you can make your inputs, the more likely you are to have a nice smooth drift. Impulsive inputs, and/or extreme inputs cause extreme changes in the dynamics of the car, and will almost undoubtedly lead to a chat with the sand and/or tire barriers. I've done all the physics and explained it fully in some very specific (and incredibly boring) terms in the GT3 drifting forum. I avoid doing that now for readability, but the point remains the same.

Watching is different than doing, as you say. So does it not seem natural to just do more and better more consistent drifting should follow?
Practice is what the whole post boils down to. I've spent better than a year drifting in GT3, and I know there are still flaws in my technique. The only way for me to iron them out is by running some laps, observing, and noting any possible improvements. It may not happen fast, but it will happen eventually.
👍

keep at it! :)

once you get anything you wish to share (if you have the means of uploading a vid) dont hesitate to do so. There are some incredibly skilled drifters that lurk around here that are usually quite anxious to give constructive criticism. You will most likely find that it is a definite way to clamber up that learning curve a bit more quickly.

Some good points there Tankspanker, I was also wondering does anyone use the Scandinavian Flick to execute their drift, which counters your smooth input point, but to get sidways, it works 99% of the time.

axel

good points....ty very much....ive been a little frustrated lately....i guess ive been trying to use the countersteer and accel too much instead of using the cars inertia and weight transfer.....i guess i am just getting a little antsy.....ill keep at it tho....didnt get as good a grip driver as i am by getting up one morning and miraculously kickin butt.....i never realized how much college is wearing on me....its starting to show in my GTP posts.....impatience with technque, people, threads, etc......damn i can't wait for the summer to take a break....and concentrate on some serious GTing.....again, thanx for your patience and advice and sorry for all this ranting. cya!

axel
Some good points there Tankspanker, I was also wondering does anyone use the Scandinavian Flick to execute their drift, which counters your smooth input point, but to get sidways, it works 99% of the time.

axel
?

axel

axel

Perhaps i should have clarified that a bit better
Without meaning to contradict myself, extreme actions are possible when you do want to get an extreme reaction from the car. But the more fluid you make everything, the better it generally looks on replay, and the easier it is to manage (in my experience).

I do use the flick technique where tracks permit it, or to a greater degree some feinting. So long as the throttle is managed properly and not used to oppose the steering input it is a very effective method of generating slip.

In mid-drift, as you notice slight changes in your cars behavior, you cannot generally throw huge changes in steering or throttle at it all at once. A dramatic change in steering angle will either cause a spin, or the loss of slip depending on which way you take it. The very same applies to throttle.
Learn to make the smallest possible adjustment to correct problems as they occur. Also, get into the knack of knowing what your car's next move will be in response to that adjustment.

hey Tank, i just watched ur vid.....nice vid.....some of the drifts seem a bit cut short....the one at the final chicane when u exit and head uphill....thats always a pain in the butt to nail down.....even the quick left-right-left flick coming out of the big corner thru the chicane and out toward the final corner can be a biotch if ur going to fast.....came a bit wide on the first corner....on the second apex.....hit the grass there :) .....otherwise pretty clean.....might wanna try to slide the whole way from the second corner into the uphill s-curves which level out and lead to the really big corner that looks really easy but is a pain cuz its sooooo damn long.....i can nail it in my 515HP supra and my 277HP Trueno S.S. but not 100%.....i wish i could capture my replays.....i never invested in capture cards and usb stuff.....never got that techy. hey get some more vids out if u can....i'd love to watch ur style some and see how u set up the car and ur throttle control.....next time on ur replays, add the Throttle and Steering displays so people can reference steering and B&A points along the track.....your style seems to be a lot like mine.....a little more consistent but not too much different.....this could be interesting to watch and see how i will progress....i think i feel some renewed drift energy so i will be spending some time tonite practicing.....then grippin a little with my Evo VII ^_^.....cool down laps hehehe

Izanagi
hey Tank, i just watched ur vid.....nice vid.....some of the drifts seem a bit cut short....the one at the final chicane when u exit and head uphill....thats always a pain in the butt to nail down.....even the quick left-right-left flick coming out of the big corner thru the chicane and out toward the final corner can be a biotch if ur going to fast.....came a bit wide on the first corner....on the second apex.....hit the grass there :) .....otherwise pretty clean.....might wanna try to slide the whole way from the second corner into the uphill s-curves which level out and lead to the really big corner that looks really easy but is a pain cuz its sooooo damn long.....i can nail it in my 515HP supra and my 277HP Trueno S.S. but not 100%.....i wish i could capture my replays.....i never invested in capture cards and usb stuff.....never got that techy. hey get some more vids out if u can....i'd love to watch ur style some and see how u set up the car and ur throttle control.....next time on ur replays, add the Throttle and Steering displays so people can reference steering and B&A points along the track.....your style seems to be a lot like mine.....a little more consistent but not too much different.....this could be interesting to watch and see how i will progress....i think i feel some renewed drift energy so i will be spending some time tonite practicing.....then grippin a little with my Evo VII ^_^.....cool down laps hehehe

Thanks for the comments
When I posted that vid for the first time I knew it wasnt a perfect lap, and never claimed that it was. I've wrote this all before in the GT3 forum, so I'm not going to go into it again in much length here. But yes, I blew the link from 1+2 into 3 because I got into a wide line, and the haipin was also a little bit messy. Aside from those two areas that I know I can and have done better, I was pretty happy with that lap. Anyways, I've made some improvements and small changes to my technique and setups since then that have made me smoother in general and able to enter drifts considerably sooner.

I'll be sure to release more vids when I have GT4, no plans to do anything else with GT3 though - there's lots abailable as it is if you wish to study some. The GT3 drift forum has been saturated with vids for the last 2 weeks, with new members posting their first vids. I dont find it necessary to add to that congestion.

good call....hahaha straight man...i just figured id talk a little to make this thread longer lol. as for the GT3 drifting forum....i havent visited in a while....i guess i got sick of people never adding anything new so i gave up looking at it....i'll go straight there after my next class and check out some hot laps. ill be very happy to see ur GT4 vids when u get ur hands on it...anything from a superior drifter is much appreciated. :)

Izanagi
anything from a superior drifter is much appreciated. :)

heh heh, I just got a kick out of that. TS is good, no doubt. I enjoyed that term superior though. :lol:

Izanagi
ill be very happy to see ur GT4 vids when u get ur hands on it...anything from a superior drifter is much appreciated. :)

indeed, i was just saying to Swift that this phrase gave me a good laugh
thanks though :)

lol well as much as i dont wanna admit it u guys r better than me so until one day when (prolly in GT5) we can hopefully have online drift matches, i guess i'll just have to keep practicin' :lol:

Izanagi
lol well as much as i dont wanna admit it u guys r better than me so until one day when (prolly in GT5) we can hopefully have online drift matches, i guess i'll just have to keep practicin' :lol:

It doesn't take as much as you think to become a good drifter. It's more dedication and practice then anything. Just keep practicing. Inside or two months, with dedication, you'll be a contender.

:cool:

Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

My strategy for drifting is the old "Trial and Error" stuff. I am not a good drifter, but you can say a beginner who needs help. :indiff: :embarrassed: I can get the car to drift around a few corners, an then I would lose it all of a sudden...making the video bad! 👎 I am hoping I will correct my mistakes on GT4 and hopefully start showing some of my drift videos! :embarrassed: Although people at school keep on telling me to stop trying to drift with a Supra and a Corvette for their "heavyness", :odd: I will still try to drift those two cars! :embarrassed:

By the way, TankSpanker, I like your Centrifuge video! :embarrassed: Its such an inspiration to me to try harder to learn how to drift in GT! :embarrassed:

Swift
It doesn't take as much as you think to become a good drifter. It's more dedication and practice then anything. Just keep practicing. Inside or two months, with dedication, you'll be a contender.

:cool:
that is so true!!
if you want more vids, go check out the gt3 drift fourm, and search around for all the GTPDC drift comps. as usually they are great vids.

McLaren'sAngel
Hiya! :D :embarrassed: :lol: Meow! (='.'=)

My strategy for drifting is the old "Trial and Error" stuff. I am not a good drifter, but you can say a beginner who needs help. :indiff: :embarrassed: I can get the car to drift around a few corners, an then I would lose it all of a sudden...making the video bad! :tud: I am hoping I will correct my mistakes on GT4 and hopefully start showing some of my drift videos! :embarrassed: Although people at school keep on telling me to stop trying to drift with a Supra and a Corvette for their "heavyness", :odd: I will still try to drift those two cars! :embarrassed:

By the way, TankSpanker, I like your Centrifuge video! :embarrassed: Its such an inspiration to me to try harder to learn how to drift in GT! :embarrassed:
ALot of drifters are like that, im like that ..me need to practice....

Well, since I spent some of the day talking about drifting and technique...I just got done with a hardcore drift session in my Trueno S.S. and man did I improve! I was amazed at how well some of my drifts came out, even with my D-pad. (I tried to use the analog but it DID NOT work lol) Definatly, some of the tips I read on this thread as well as others have helped me dramatically! Trial Mountain definatly has a few new sets of skid marks!

90crxfreak
i actually like the vett Z06... i dont reallt think it is that "heavy" i guess u can say... it does have alot of power though

The Z06 is an incredible car. But like the S2000, it's built with one thing in mind, Stick to the road! So to get it to drift well takes some clever tuning, but yep it can be done! :cool:

Pretty much the same thing.. But drifting is done on purpose and lasts longer. A powerslide is incedental and usually used to get out of a tight spot. I thinks :confused:

i thought a powerslide was when you start to oversteer from too much throttle either right near the apex, or sometime after. i dont consider a slide a drift unless you slide from intrance to exit. I mean sidwayz at good angle from entrance to exit. 👍

if you want to setup for the perfect drift car, know your preferences as to how long you would like to hold a drift. Once you get that down, start drifting with stock suspension settings. if you want more understeer, make it harder in the front or add camber to the front or stiffen stabilizers or stuff like that. Same goes for the rear tires; if you think you have too much understeer, balance it out by adding oversteer/stiffening rears/adding negative camber to the rear tires. Not only will this help out balance the understeering versus oversteering, your car should slide longer. Or if you do have too much understeer, soften it up in the front/add positive camber.

think of the settings this way, the whole suspension setting system is a just a way to add more or less understeer/oversteer to your car. stabilizer and camber (and etc...) settings have more of an impact on your cars nature whereas height settings (and etc...) are just very small increments in the suspension algorithm. if you can finely tune each setting, you should be able get your desired settings.

btw, i figure that the less viscosity your car has, the more wheelspin, especially when you play with alot of negative camber so off the line, start off a gear higher (or dont even rev off the line). also, settings should not reflect a specific way you initiate a drift because if you have a 'slidey' car, feinting or brake drifting, you'll get the desired results that you've made youre settings adhere to.

Back