Your pick to win Lord Stanley's Cup?

• Thread starter '85fierogt
  • 176 comments
United States
Anderson, SC
smart_fortwo
Well obviously my pick is Philadelphia (me being a Philly fan my whole NHL fan career).

What is everyones take on how much of a difference the addition of Forsberg will make? Will the huge all-star roster defencemen make up for the lack of experienced wings?

I can't really pick a team for the West. I would have to go with Calgary again for now. They are still a very solid team.

Why not discuss roster changes on your picks also?

Also i would like to hear everyones opinion on Scott Stevens' retirement.

blink68gy.gif
Forsberg went to the Flyers?? wow, I'm so out of the loop. Scotts Stevens is retiring??

I have to root for my Sharks but I don't know how well they'll do since I already know of some players not playing or that have left the team. :grumpy:

Either way I can wait for this damn hockey to get off it's as and get going! :mischievous:

It is any teams game this year. With so many veteran players being tossed around to unlikely teams is going to even out the playing field. The real question is are these players going to be able to click with their new teams. Most of them have been playing on a single team for 4 or 5+ years.

I think the Flames have a really good shot this year. Basically the same team as last year, with a lot of added new skill. Should be fun to watch.

I'm a Maple Leafs fan, but I see the Pittsburgh Penguins going all the way this year.

Their roster now includes

Sidney Crosby
Mario Lemieux
Ziggy Pallfy
John LeClair
Sergei Gonchar
Mark Recchi
Jocelyn Thiebault
Marc-Andre Fleury

They went from last place to absolutely stacked.

Max Powers
I'm a Maple Leafs fan, but I see the Pittsburgh Penguins going all the way this year.

Their roster now includes

Sidney Crosby
Mario Lemieux
Ziggy Pallfy
John LeClair
Sergei Gonchar
Mark Recchi
Jocelyn Thiebault
Marc-Andre Fleury

They went from last place to absolutely stacked.
You call that stacked? I see a bunch of washed up has-beens, haha. Crosby (I hate him) and Fleury are clearly the future of that team, but I'm not too sure how the rest of those "veterans" will do.

Saleen Man
You call that stacked? I see a bunch of washed up has-beens, haha. Crosby (I hate him) and Fleury are clearly the future of that team, but I'm not too sure how the rest of those "veterans" will do.

You could make a case for LeClair and Recchi (But I might just be saying that since they're from Philadelphia :yuck: ), but I wouldn't consider any of the others to be "has beens". Gonchar is still among the best offensive defensemen in the game, Palffy averaged well over 1 point-per game in his last two seasons, and alghough Lemieux doesn't have some of the speed and strength that he used to, he can still set up plays like nobody else.

Plus the Penguins have their share of young stars, and a great farm system, just look at Dick Tarnstrom or Ryan Malone.

Older teams can still win championships, you know, just look at Detroit's old championship teams.

On another note, what do you guys think about the NHL moving from ESPN to OLN? I for one am very disappointed about it, since I don't have comcast, I can't get OLN without paying extra every month. I was going to shell out the cash for it, until I realized that they will not broadcast one Maple Leafs game, which means the only hockey I'll see is the Penguins on the local channel.

Max Powers
You could make a case for LeClair and Recchi (But I might just be saying that since they're from Philadelphia :yuck: ), but I wouldn't consider any of the others to be "has beens". Gonchar is still among the best offensive defensemen in the game, Palffy averaged well over 1 point-per game in his last two seasons, and alghough Lemieux doesn't have some of the speed and strength that he used to, he can still set up plays like nobody else.
What you said about Gonchar and Lemieux was true. Remember, two years have passed since these guys last played an NHL game. Really, I don't think anyone can say who is "the best" anything in the NHL right now. We'll have to wait and see. All I know, is that I'm not buying into the Pittsburgh hype right now.

Max Powers
On another note, what do you guys think about the NHL moving from ESPN to OLN? I for one am very disappointed about it, since I don't have comcast, I can't get OLN without paying extra every month. I was going to shell out the cash for it, until I realized that they will not broadcast one Maple Leafs game, which means the only hockey I'll see is the Penguins on the local channel.
In Canada it means that I'll get even more games than usual I guess. I don't get either ESPN (really friggin' sucks for NFL), but do get OLN.

Saleen Man
The one thing every Canadiens fan always has as ammo. :grumpy: Too bad you've only been around to see 2 of them though. :P

two beautiful years my friend, two beautiful years....How are the jets doing btw :dopey:

TwinTurboJay
two beautiful years my friend, two beautiful years....How are the jets doing btw :dopey:
:eek: I'm shocked that you would stoop so low. :nervous: The Jets were great. We invented the "white-out" that every team has now adopted. Sigh, I miss my team. :(

TwinTurboJay
I know, It was low and I apologize...I just ran out of ammo after "all the stanleys we got "
Yeah, well it's all you Montreal fans have left to use. ;) One question though: You live in Ontario and are a Canadiens fan?! :eek:

Pittsburg has made some great free agent signings.
The last season Recci lead Philadelphia in points with 75 and LeClair was 3rd with 55. How's that for washed-up has-beens.

Al MacInnis retired. No more "big shot" to look forward to in the all-star skills competition!! Messier calls it quits also.

Why do they have to get old. :(

I'm sure every NHL players shins are going to be happier this season.

powripper
Calgary all the way!

Iginla and Amonte and gonna be wicked together...just you wait and see!
QFT(quoted for truth)
Flames better get a good run going. We need another sea of red.
*EDIT* If not the Flames, I'd be happy with a New Jersey win. Only because Brodeur is my favourite goalie by far. He might not be showy, but he's got the fundamentals down pat. I'd say he's probably the best goalie out there right now. [/biased]

[QUOTE='85fierogt]Pittsburg has made some great free agent signings.
The last season Recci lead Philadelphia in points with 75 and LeClair was 3rd with 55. How's that for washed-up has-beens.[/quote]
...And like I said, they're both 2 years older now. ;) Nah, I believe Pittsburgh will do well, but not anywhere near a Stanley Cup. :)

[quote='85fierogt]I'm sure every NHL players shins are going to be happier this season.[/QUOTE]
Haha, hopefully all the players will get use to the rule changes in time for the regular season. Every game in preseason so far has had 20+ penalties. :scared:

Wow, how can you say that and **** all over your country and great sport. I'd kill to see a pre-season game. :grumpy: Once again... Hockey gets shafted.

VIPFREAK
Wow, how can you say that and **** all over your country and great sport. I'd kill to see a pre-season game. :grumpy: Once again... Hockey gets shafted.
Haha, that's not *****ing on anything. I don't think I'm interested in watching everybody's farm team players play each other. Besides, the only game they probably would show here would be Toronto/Ottawa or something stupid like that. I can't stand either one of those teams.

Hockey is most definitely not getting shafted, at least here. Every time I tune into to see sports highlights lately, I have to watch 20 minutes of "Training Camp/Pre-Season Updates" first. :dunce:

Saleen Man
Hockey is most definitely not getting shafted, at least here. Every time I tune into to see sports highlights lately, I have to watch 20 minutes of "Training Camp/Pre-Season Updates" first. :dunce:

Not here... not even on ESPN or ESPN 2. :grumpy:

Back