Your Tips and Tricks to Drifting.

• Thread starter eastley
  • 15 comments
eastley
Hey all, I was wondering how everyone did thier drifting? I am hopeless at it, infact I don't think I can drift. So how does everyone else do it?

On all of my RWD vehicles I set the brake balance in the rear from 4 to 6 times stronger than the front, this lets me start braking drifts easily. 👍

nightkids4ever
Practice!!!!!!!!!

That and check my sig. Honestly, it's all about practice and understand what your cars limits are. If you don't understand what makes a car drift, you'll NEVER be able to drift well. I'm not saying you have to be a genius in physics, but you need to have a good fundamental understanding. How do you get that understanding? Practice and a few reference points.

Have a look and good luck!

in a single word:

"smoothly"

practice is of paramount importance, but remind yourself while you're doing it that you have to keep your inputs as fluid as possible, and dont overdo it

too much throttle and too much countersteer = lots of.... not good stuff and a few sleepless nights
two wrongs dont make a right, right?

~TankSpanker says "Two wrongs are only the beginning..."
I find that to be the truest of Murphy's laws, and it seems to have some meaning here

TankSpanker
in a single word:

"smoothly"

practice is of paramount importance, but remind yourself while you're doing it that you have to keep your inputs as fluid as possible, and dont overdo it

too much throttle and too much countersteer = lots of.... not good stuff and a few sleepless nights

~TankSpanker says "Two wrongs are only the beginning..."
I find that to be the truest of Murphy's laws, and it seems to have some meaning here

Very good advice. A very good race car driver I once knew used to tell me "Don't OVER drive the car. If you're physically tired from driving, you're pushing too hard, and that's how you make mistakes."

TankSpanker

Now I've gotta put THAT ONE in my signature:sly:👍

Now I would try to give good advice but I can't, so I'll just stick to the things I've seen: if your having problems with countersteer and countering the snap-back AWD drifting REALLY helps (check out the thread: how to drift U turns or something like it, then look at the vid. posted there:D it's great) I probably give some OLD advice but you should REALLY try it, so don't qoute on this advice for saying it's already known to all of you. Keep praciticing, I'm gonna change my sig. now:sly:

Edit: I changed my mind putting it into my sig.; nobody would know about what I'm talking or quoting about......

Understand your universal set of parts for which to buy for your newly/used bought drift car. I personally go for the 2-Way LSD, R3 (or R2 if the car is low powered), and a semi-racing suspension package. Don't forget the oil tune-up.

Usually, if you just turn off all driving aids and have the aforementioned items installed, you should drift just fine (take the Mazda RX-7 RD for example). Minor adjustments here & there could be made if necessary.

Try drifting w/ stock suspension settings. If you feel like the back isn't coming out enough to fit your style*, lower the car a couple and that should reduce the stroke of the suspension, making the roll a bit shorter with the plus of a lower center of gravity. Then, if you really want to harden the back, decrease the (spring rate) length between each spiral which would further reduce the stroke of the suspension (front or rear respectively) to make it harder.

If you need more control during turning, or in your case, drifting, increase front camber. If you followed my parts guide and if you car doesn't have heavy understeer, go ahead and increase the camber by two-three. Also, you could soften up the front a bit if you don't want to adjust your camber after increasing it if you still experience unwanted understeer.

Keep in mind to develop your own reference for settings, or else you'll wind up too dependent on other (including myself) peoples settings. There is a style you must develop. My reference is that drift cars only need little adjustment to do just opposite of what the manufacturer intended it to do.

Also, stick to Standard Tires. If you use really hard Standard tires (N1), you won't be able to use your cars full potential otherwise known as power to the wheels. The Road tires (the third one from the left/N3) should suffice because first of all they're soft enough to transfer your car's power to the wheels and second, they're Standard tires afterall so they should allow the car to exceed it's grip with sports driving/drifting/feinting.

I've played long enough to develop a wierd button combo to drift. Coupled with feinting, you could easily simulate the effects of a clutch kick on a car by doing this in quick sequential order;
1) Downshift
2) Tap e-brake
3) Tap (or hold to stay under rev limiter so RPM's don't keep bouncing) the brakes
4) Tap accelerator and then floor it or floor it altogether

BTW, get to know what suspension does to your car because that will be your best friend over power when you tackle drifting.

By increasing (softening) the spring rate in the front of your car, what you're really doing is allowing the springs to bounce more by enlarging the space between each spiral of the spring. This in turn allows the springs to compress more under the transfer of weight. To compress means allowing the car tip over to the side opposite of the direction your turning to. More weight on one side puts more pressure on the two tires effected by the tipping car. This pressure makes the tires grip better on the road.
Vice versa (hardening) keeps the car from tipping and those two tires on the side that should be getting the heavy end of the weight transfer (when turning) would slip because there's not enough weight holding them down to grip hard enough. Applied to the front of thecar only and you'll get heavy understeer. Try not hardening the front too much.
The effect of a sliding rear on the other hand, could allow you to drift, only if you can control the sliding rear by a dominant front. When you want the front to grip in the middle of a drift (determines length and stability of a drift), it's up to you to adjust the front suspension (camber/height/spring rate/etc...) accordingly.

s0nny80y
Understand your universal set of parts for which to buy for your newly/used bought drift car. I personally go for the 2-Way LSD, R3 (or R2 if the car is low powered), and a semi-racing suspension package. Don't forget the oil tune-up.

Usually, if you just turn off all driving aids and have the aforementioned items installed, you should drift just fine (take the Mazda RX-7 RD for example). Minor adjustments here & there could be made if necessary.

Try drifting w/ stock suspension settings. If you feel like the back isn't coming out enough to fit your style*, lower the car a couple and that should reduce the stroke of the suspension, making the roll a bit shorter with the plus of a lower center of gravity. Then, if you really want to harden the back, decrease the (spring rate) length between each spiral which would further reduce the stroke of the suspension (front or rear respectively) to make it harder.

If you need more control during turning, or in your case, drifting, increase front camber. If you followed my parts guide and if you car doesn't have heavy understeer, go ahead and increase the camber by two-three. Also, you could soften up the front a bit if you don't want to adjust your camber after increasing it if you still experience unwanted understeer.

Keep in mind to develop your own reference for settings, or else you'll wind up too dependent on other (including myself) peoples settings. There is a style you must develop. My reference is that drift cars only need little adjustment to do just opposite of what the manufacturer intended it to do.

Also, stick to Standard Tires. If you use really hard Standard tires (R1), you won't be able to use your cars full potential otherwise known as power to the wheels. The Road tires (the third one from the left) should suffice because first of all they're soft enough to transfer your car's power to the wheels and second, they're Standard tires afterall so they should allow the car to exceed it's grip with sports driving/drifting/feinting.

I've played long enough to develop a wierd button combo to drift. Coupled with feinting, you could easily simulate the effects of a clutch kick on a car by doing this in quick sequential order;
1) Downshift
2) Tap e-brake
3) Tap (or hold to stay under rev limiter so RPM's don't keep bouncing) the brakes
4) Tap accelerator and then floor it or floor it altogether

BTW, get to know what suspension does to your car because that will be your best friend over power when you tackle drifting.

By increasing (softening) the spring rate in the front of your car, what you're really doing is allowing the springs to bounce more by enlarging the space between each spiral of the spring. This in turn allows the springs to compress more under the transfer of weight. To compress means allowing the car tip over to the side opposite of the direction your turning to. More weight on one side puts more pressure on the two tires effected by the tipping car. This pressure makes the tires grip better on the road.
Vice versa (hardening) keeps the car from tipping and those two tires on the side that should be getting the heavy end of the weight transfer (when turning) would slip because there's not enough weight holding them down to grip hard enough. Applied to the front of thecar only and you'll get heavy understeer. Try not hardening the front too much.
The effect of a sliding rear on the other hand, could allow you to drift, only if you can control the sliding rear by a dominant front. When you want the front to grip in the middle of a drift (determines length and stability of a drift), it's up to you to adjust the front suspension (camber/height/spring rate/etc...) accordingly.

Finally the answer I was waiting for. Thank you.

Also a few useful links in my signature, very helpful when your car is not behaving how you would like it to. I also condone use of N class tires, S tires are not really necessary but thats just a preference.

Swift
That and check my sig. Honestly, it's all about practice and understand what your cars limits are. If you don't understand what makes a car drift, you'll NEVER be able to drift well. I'm not saying you have to be a genius in physics, but you need to have a good fundamental understanding. How do you get that understanding? Practice and a few reference points.

Have a look and good luck!

OMG I absolutely agree. Couldn't have said it any better.

flip_kc79
OMG I absolutely agree. Couldn't have said it any better.

Glad you agree! What Tankspanker said was also true.

one tip is to do a search on overdrift on google, look up the page. its a japanese page but if you browse in the links section you'll see this one link blue suns i think. they have a good tutorial and some improvements you can make to your ds2 so that its less sensitive and it actually works i can pretty much drift with an ae86, not smoothly but im getting the hanging of drifting turns, all i need to do is link them all together

Feint drift, weight transfer using the bounce from the suspension to loosen the grip of the tires..... good technique to initiate the drift. And what everybody else said, all good things. Just gotta feel it out :) .

Back