Zero Cup: zero tuning (PS4) - STOPPEDPS4 

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
WarriusZero
EDIT:

I've now moved on to PC and am no longer hosting races on PS4.

----------

Why?

The Zero Cup was born out of the determination that the lack of private lobbies on consoles should not stop us from having some good online racing.

What?
  • Online races every Wednesday at 7:30pm GMT (show me in my timezone)
  • Clean and respectful racing
  • Tuning prohibited except for brake balance and turbo boost
  • Gentleman's Yellow Flag (what is the GYF?)
  • No uninvited participants

But how?
The idea is that the PSN can do a lot of the heavy lifting to compensate for the lack of online features in Assetto Corsa.
'Zero Cup on AC' is therefore a PS4 community with formal events set up in advance.
When the event starts, we join the corresponding party for the audio chat.
Then I pick a lobby in game and invite the others from there (using the □ button). If someone is late, a quick search usually does the trick.
We no longer let anyone join our lobby for the first qualifying session and race.
For any following races, we skip qualifying and kick out anyone not invited (sorry, dear lurkers, if you want to play with us, contact us in advance or face the votes).
Whenever I ask for a vote (skip a session, kick a player...), please vote 'Yes' (usually R3 on a wheel).
We also suggest you record each race from your point of view. To do so, when the race is about to start, double tap the Share button. When the race finishes, double tap the Share button again. At the end of the evening, you can then upload your races to Youtube.
Please read the Rule Book for more information.

How can I join?
Send me (WarriusZero) a PSN friend request and I'll invite you to the community and upcoming events.
If the event is happening right now and you don't want to get kicked out, send me a message. It's too late for tonight but maybe not for next week...

25 Jan.: MX5 Cup at Brands Hatch GP
Mazda MX5 Cup

1 Feb.: Exige at Silverstone International
Lotus Exige V6 Cup

8 Feb.: GT3 at Monza
Audi R8 LMS Ultra
BMW Z4 GT3
(Lamborghini Huracan GT3)
McLaren 650S GT3
Mercedes-Benz AMG GT3
Nissan GT-R GT3
SCG 003C
Mercedes SLS AMG GT3
McLaren MP4-12C GT3

*Subject to change depending on the host(s)

Registered drivers list:
Bonio71 (@Bonio71)
Carlos_Fandango (@C Fandango)
Darth-Vadder1 (@Heiko Vater)
Georgeagea (@Georgeagea)
GTRP_Ave_46 (@?)
GTRP_HeLmZoR (@?)
HeyZeusss666 (@pretend racer)
krsht3 (@krsht3)
Madcat--- (@madcat78)
Nemesis-Reaper (@hobbsy)
Pyromaniak666 (@SpaceBreed)
Rostovic (@?)
Rostafer007 (@?)
Standard_control (@Moloko)
Voofx (@Orayani)
WarriusZero (@WarriusZero)
Xeronima (@xeronima)

But kicking clean racers who just found your lobby is quite uncool. How can you do that?
Until a better solution is available, this is the only way to have 'private' lobbies and definitely clean races. I don't enjoy kicking other players out of lobbies. OK, sometimes I do...

I like this but the day/time doesn't suit my circumstances. Any ideas?
Here are some details on how to organise your own races.

Last edited:
Hey Warrius, I'm game... although my actual game is still in the post! :grumpy: so i'll not make tonight's outing.

you can put me on the reserve list for now, but i'd certainly love to get racing again.

Today is more about working out a way of making things run as smoothly as possible. I might have to be the bad guy and kick people who come without knowing and cause an issue unconsciously... I'm planning on sending apology messages if needed!

Today is more about working out a way of making things run as smoothly as possible. I might have to be the bad guy and kick people who come without knowing and cause an issue unconsciously... I'm planning on sending apology messages if needed!

Ok with me:tup:

Let's go!
If anyone else sees this in the next few minutes, feel free to join us but first reply here so I don't kick you unnecessarily!! :D

So here's what we've been able to establish (#6 is a favourite):

1. Create a party. It's limited to 8 but the audio makes everything a lot easier to set up
2. It's really easy to find each other in game if everyone's ready: one person picks a lobby then invites the others with the Square button (just before actually joining the lobby). All the others have to do is open the 'game alert' they will receive and follow from there (I was the inviter so I haven't seen exactly what it looks like)
3. The organiser can skip or restart sessions at will, as long as the others don't forget to vote. It looks like one abstention is enough to veto the decision
4. We believe it's easy to kick someone, as long as one of us goes to the menu (therefore crashes and/or stops..) and the others can vote by a quick press. We didn't kick anyone tonight, instead we raced with them, it was quite nice, globally
5. If you have a few people in your lobby it will quickly get noticed so we'll probably have to live with it
6. Provided we're all on the same page, it's very easy to set up a custom starting grid, e.g. a reverse grid: all you have to do is reset the qualifying session and get everyone to get out on track and get in the correct order by the time we complete the out-lap and cross the finish line, then skip to the race
7. You can obviously also have people who don't even have the game yet to come along for a nice chat and a bit of entertainment... :D

That's all I can think about at the minute, feel free to add to this.

Of course, there's no way to replicate the Zero Cup as it was on Gran Turismo, but it's still possible to have fun. And so far, most of the people I've seen online in AC are there for the same thing: driving, not ramming. Which is quite pleasant.

Edit:

One more thing, online on AC is SOLID.
Imagine GT6 online through WiFi with audio enabled... I'll say no more.

2nd edit!

And I was streaming my party!

Last edited:
Hey Warrius Thanks for allowing me to be a spectator tonight.
Did you notice any lag or slow down with me connecting in?
I had a few bits of lag and delay, but I was expecting to have some with the video stream plus party chat. I'm currently using my phone for connectivity so it's not the best option.
Hopefully the connection for gaming will be less demanding than the video.

Cheers

I'd like to try to introduce a few concepts to next week's event (unless a few of us are able and willing to meet up again before then). Please look at the Rule Book as I'd reuse the procedure and details we had in GT6:

- formal points attribution (but it's for the fun, still!)
- reverse grid
- gentleman's yellow flag (which is always optional, unless perhaps there's a trouble maker in the lobby)

Here's a plan of how we would try to do it (this is very much a check list for me more than anything else). Feedback requested!
Note: we will certainly fine tune these steps as we learn.

1. (all) meet up online at the agreed time (e.g. Monday at 8pm BST or any other agreed day/time)
2. (me) start a party with audio chat
3. (me) pick up a lobby that matches the theme we would have previously agreed about
4. (me) send invitation to the party from the chosen lobby, in the game
5. (you) join the lobby via the notification
6. (all) practice for 10/15 min
7. (me) reset qualifying session
8. (me) issue grid order for next race
9. (all) go on track and do a formation lap to set up the grid
10. (me) skip session to force beginning of race
11. (all) enjoy the race
12. back to #7 until we are sick of it

Notes (each bullet point is about the corresponsing bullet point above):
1. Or any other agreed day/time, the 'me' parts don't have to be me either if I'm not around
2. I don't think I need to send game invites at this point, because of step 4. We'll find out...
3. Is there a risk that a certain car/track combination would not always be available? Also I need to build up a list of possible combinations. There isn't already a list somewhere, is there?
4. Nothing special to say there
5. If someone turns up later than 8pm, he should also be able to find us via a search
6. This would also help anyone a bit late to not miss the 1st race
7. Requires all to vote 'Yes'. Kick required if a stranger vetoes the decision
8. Nothing special to say there
9. If someone turns up then, they may be able to join the race at the back, if they accept to start the race straightaway
10. Requires all to vote 'Yes'. Kick required if a stranger vetoes the decision
11. If someone has joined the race and starts messing about, a yellow flag would be needed in order to issue a kick without ruining someone's race. They would hopefully understand something is up if we all stop racing and proceed into a very slow queue

Sorry, all of this sounds very complicated. I don't think it actually is in practice, is it? ok, maybe the manual grid part... again, feel free to tell me if you think it's not a good idea or if I'm missing something.

My guess is that we need to complete the out lap to record a time and that's what counts. But it'd be safer to then also stay in the same order.

My guess is that we need to complete the out lap to record a time and that's what counts. But it'd be safer to then also stay in the same order.

So force reset quali (so all personal timers start @ same time) drive out of pits in issued grid position, complete 1 lap maintaining position all stop then force skip session.

Well I must say, after a quick 30mins (followed later by 3hrs!!!) i am very impressed, and now looking forward to some online racing amongst friends. :cheers:
For some reason though, i keep thinking back to a game i played for a while on the Xbox, called RacePro. not sure what it is that's reminding me of this game mind :odd:.

I did experience some behaviour that i didn't understand. When running in quali the car felt very planted (for the record I was running the Fiat 500 AC @ Mugello), and stable. But as soon as I was in the race, that all disappeared! The car became very skittish and quite a lot more prone to lift of over steer. Which in itself is no problem, i would expect the car to behave this way, but why the difference between the two sessions?

Also I managed to run a couple of races online through my phone, it seemed to hold up OK, however i'm not sure how i appeared at the other end of the line.. I could have been bouncy around like a Yorkshire terrier on speed! :lol:
@WarriusZero please can you give me some feedback on my connection performance, next time we are on together 👍

Anyway, here's hoping for the patch to arrive soon and fix up the game a little more.

Well I must say, after a quick 30mins (followed later by 3hrs!!!) i am very impressed, and now looking forward to some online racing amongst friends. :cheers:
For some reason though, i keep thinking back to a game i played for a while on the Xbox, called RacePro. not sure what it is that's reminding me of this game mind :odd:.

I did experience some behaviour that i didn't understand. When running in quali the car felt very planted (for the record I was running the Fiat 500 AC @ Mugello), and stable. But as soon as I was in the race, that all disappeared! The car became very skittish and quite a lot more prone to lift of over steer. Which in itself is no problem, i would expect the car to behave this way, but why the difference between the two sessions?

Also I managed to run a couple of races online through my phone, it seemed to hold up OK, however i'm not sure how i appeared at the other end of the line.. I could have been bouncy around like a Yorkshire terrier on speed! :lol:
@WarriusZero please can you give me some feedback on my connection performance, next time we are on together 👍

Anyway, here's hoping for the patch to arrive soon and fix up the game a little more.
Was that stock? brake balanced from wheel?

Back