ZZII Vs CTR2

Mike Rotch

Aluminium Overcast
Staff Emeritus
Australia
Down under
I forgot what an amazing car the ZZII was till recently. It is just a fantastically flexible car in terms of handling. Powerslides are as easy as scaring a mouse and man does it crack on the pace. 325kph at the end of the midfield straight? In my opinion, head and shoulders above the mighty CTR2

Very good car indeed, I use it mostly for endurance races. I'm not sure it's much above the CTR2 but anyway, I'd pick the ZZ rather than the Ruf simply because it handles so well once you tweak the tyres.

Despite how powerslidy he may be that one really needs grip to be at his best. Of course a bit of tailwaving is fine :D
Then you compare it to a tottaly different drive, the ctr2 (sport, I hope).
This car has to be one of the few where non-grip driving can be equally or - dare I say - ,in some cases, even more effective than regular driving. I´ve had corners where the understeer kept me at low speeds then out of frustration in the following pass I would turn while slamming the brakes - we all now where that gets us - then accel hard and countersteer. The speed would be much better.
The thing is that there is great understeer in the car, even when you´re not going for grip drive. The ctr2 exibits a different slidy kind of driving. While most cars tend to point to the inside of the corner and getting really tailhappy when loosing grip the ctr2 (or turbo r for that matter) tend to go sideways instead. All this to say they are very different.

The driving of the zzII requires some attention and can´t be so reckless but it is a fast car. Other aspects concern the hp. This is one of them overachivers. With only 588 this car sends the dust to most high-powerd cars. In that area the ctr2 is a no go.

My conclusions:
zzII - good cornering abilities. Slow turns and hard long braking distances require some skill and care and excessive non-grip driving will be punished. Excels at speed.
ctr2 - good yet different cornering abilities. Hairpins and junkyard-friendly manouvers are welcome, while faster longer corners can be a problem due to understeer issues. Good speed but not as good. The off the line start however will leave the zzII miles behind.

All in all mentaly reviewing the vehicles I´d say it´s a good battle with maybe some advantage to the zzII but that requires some testing.

Originally posted by bla
Hairpins and junkyard-friendly manouvers are welcome

:lol:

I agree with you that the ctr2 sport is a different drifter altogether. I think cos it has so much power that it slides forward more before the tires bite. I remember i got sideways in that bend just after sector 2 at midfield and ended up travelling sideways down that hill till i eventually hit the barriers on the left 2/3 of the way down.

Yip, sure does leave the zzII in the dust at the start, but in a straight line - its no contest :D

Back