SCC -Old Timer Event - 250 Testa Rossa - October 17th, 2009 *New! Results Posted*

• Thread starter jjaisli
  • 87 comments
Unfortunately, I can't join you guys tonight due to a family do. It's a pity, I was looking forward to it and just getting used to the extended braking distances! Nuvolari once said when he was asked about his car's brakes "They only slow me down!"

Sorry to hear that. Your participation (and speed) would have been very welcome. Hopefully we'll see you at the next one, Del.

Thanks Jeff. You guys have fun now y'hear!

By the way, I have an American friend I met racing Ferrari Challenge and he was in touch because he couldn't download the DLC. Is it not available in the States? He also told me that he couldn't find SCC. Where did you get it?

I'm looking forward to this now. Especially after my beloved Liverpool have just suffered their 4th defeat of this season already :slitwristssmilie: I could do with something to take my mind off it, though no doubt I'll be thinking of it during the oval race when i've nothing to do other than hold my right foot down for 20 laps :lol:

I dunno, i'll join the lobby and see what's happening.

EDIT: Jeff was right, it's 19:00 BST now, which is different to GMT, it's another hour to go.

Last edited:
54 minutes from this post guys...

(I think it's going to go down to the wire with qualifying)

OK Guys. According to my TV, it's now 25 minutes before the 250TR event is supposed to start and F1 qualifying is stopped at Q2. I think at this point I will start the event as planned as I don't want to delay it at this late date. But so much for getting any last minute practice in. LOL

Hope to see you soon!

Last edited:
I wish you all a good racing tonight!

As I've said, I bought the game yesterday and spent quite long time driving the 250GTO (I'm in love with that car) offline and the Testarossa online at Monza. If I'd ever consider being improving with 2'32'' / 2'35'' consistent laps on the testarossa, a brief online race there with Hun200kmh was all it needs to 'put me back in my hole' - I've only notice those reddish lips on the back of his car because he waited for me about half-minute at the main straight. Otherwise I wouldn't see his car at all!

Oh well, seems that I still have a lot to practice! So here I go.

Just to say that I'm loving the game. It's quite challenging and I think that here correct braking (when and how much) its more fulcral than in any other game. And how much you'd brake and when on the same track depends and varies immensly from car to car - as it should.

Have I told yet that I'm loving the 250GTO!? My favorite, definetly!! I have to dominate Monza with it - 2'29''01 already!

Cheers and have some nice races! I'll join you as soon as I'm worthy!

Although I missed the first race due to the delayed qualifying I thoroughly enjoyed the remaining three races. Good clean stuff.

Just incase jj, these were my results:
1. Riviera = N/A
2. Oval = 5th
3. Infineon = 4th (or 3rd if you don't count the non-GTP members)
4. Spa = 6th (or 4th if you don't count the non-GTP members)

Looking forward to the next meeting.

Very enjoyable racing guys. Especially the oval race - seriously smart-clean racing. Hopefully we can do some again soon, maybe the 250LM or 250GTO, maybe next weekend, anyone?

Not sure if you need the results posted here, but here's mine anyway.

Riveriera - DNF
Other 3 races were 1st.

Very enjoyable racing guys. Especially the oval race - seriously smart-clean racing. Hopefully we can do some again soon, maybe the 250LM or 250GTO, maybe next weekend, anyone?

Not sure if you need the results posted here, but here's mine anyway.

Riveriera - DNF
Other 3 races were 1st.

You were incredible tonight Al 👍

Ireland's finest :gtpflag:

Between yourself, turnupdaheat and gtptheewar I think Ireland would be finalists in a SCC world cup event :)

Cheers Guys!

:scared: Phew! That was pretty intense. I'm glad you all had a good time and enjoyed the racing. I did too, although I have to say, some of the lag issues were a major PITA. Granted, that may simply be because I'm in North America and everybody else playing was in Europe. Before the event started, I was doing bandwidth and ping tests from my PS3 to various places and I was getting ping speeds between 85ms and 215 ms for most places and never had below 2.5Mbs download and 1.5Mbs upload so I don't think it's such a big issue. So from THAT perspective the result was 👍👎 I'll have plenty to write to Eutechnyx tomorrow. :grumpy:

But as far as the gaming itself goes, :) needless to say, I had a great time and hope to put another race like this together in 1-2 weeks time.

But for now, I need your help. I need (if you have it):

- Who scored fastest lap at SPA. I believe it was Alan but I'm not sure.

- If somebody could confirm if GTP_Theewar was 2nd at Infineon and who scored fastest lap.

Due to the connection issues, I'll add the points two ways:
1. Each event individually.
2. All added together
As I don't think it's particularly fair to those who had connection issues.

Great fun tonight guys:tup: I only done two races and Monza:dopey:

Riviera: I got First :) Got Away from the pack in the first few laps,then I just had to hope no one caught me :D

Oval: I got second Place and Alan G got first,Which I knew was going to happen 2laps before the End as I could see Alan didnt want the first spot,even after I slowed down :lol:

Thanks jjaisli for putting this Event together:tup:

- Who scored fastest lap at SPA. I believe it was Alan but I'm not sure.

- If somebody could confirm if GTP_Theewar was 2nd at Infineon and who scored fastest lap.

I had the fastest lap at Infineon (1.39 something) and Spa (3.03.19).

Last edited:
Supercar Challenge 250TR Event Race Recap

First of all, I want to thank each of you for participating in this event. I had a great time both putting this together as well as taking part in the races. And judging from the positive responses so far, I think I will continue to put more of them together. There are obviously some short comings with this game and the fact that several people were dropped from the lobby is somewhat troubling. But at least the lobby didn't collapse as we saw sometimes with Ferrari Challenge. As I mentioned above, the fact that I'm sitting across an ocean from most of you may be a contributing factor. I can only comment that I have a very fast and reliable internet connection with bandwidth and ping speed rivaling my T3 line at work. And as this game gains in popularity, we will inevitable have people connecting over long distances and it's something we have to live with. What I hope CAN change are some of the rather annoying bugs. And in particluar:

(a) inconsistent contact between cars, where two people may view the same incident differently.
(b) the "hug" bug where cars become intertwined and push each other into a wall, and suddenly disappear and reappear 5 seconds down the road.

I experienced both of these issues several times and the later effectively ruined my race at Infineon and (nearly) ruined my race at Spa. I hope it's something that Eutechnyx will continue to patch and adjust as it can potentially destroy good clean racing and may result in some misunderstandings if players don't know each other.

So, enough with the technicalites. Let's get to the results.

1) Monza - 3 Laps - Dry - Practice Run

I said Monza wouldn't count for points but I'll list them here just for the record. Especially considering this car's rather unique physics and limited braking abiltiies, I figured it was a good idea to have one 'practice' run. And I'm glad everybody braked early at the first chicane. :lol: Cars suddenly appeared everywhere and then I was hit with the infamous 'hug' bug when Shaggy's car put me into the wall and then disappeared into the distance. (No hard feelings Shaggy--you probably didn't even touch me from your view). :) I figured I would probably fade into the distance but another lag related issue cropped up on the back straight heading toward the parabolica. Clouds of smoke appeared and cars were skidding everywhere. LOL As AlanG184 later related, this was the result of lag where another car suddenly appeared inside of his. :ill: And it caused a rather nasty chain reaction.

The Final results:
1) MHailwood (I don't have the laptime) - 10 points
2) jjaisli - 2:30.13 :ill: - 8 points
3) AlanG184 - 2:22.72* 6 + 1 = 7 points
4) Edoardo85 - 2:33.75 - 4 points
5) mhm66 - 2:26.13 - 3 points
6) GTP_Theewar - 2:25.76 - 2 points
7) Shaggy_Alonso - 2:30.85 - 1 point
8) Arvore - RTD - 0 points

Total Race time: 7 min 46.48 seconds

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rrZ_PhPKMoI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rrZ_PhPKMoI&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

* I apologize of the poor quality of the video(s). This was taken with a 7 year old mini-camcorder on a tri-pod, over my shoulder using 7 year old DV tape that had probably been recorded over 50 times. And I have my PS3 in my basement so the lighting and sound (and color) is pretty poor. But at least it's a fun recap. And you guys can see the race from my perspective. Also note, this should serve as a general disclaimer for all videos in my post. :)

2) Riviera Circuit - 15 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

:boggled::dunce::embarrassed: Ahem! Well...ahh...much to my embarrassment, I didn't realize the game doesn't allow you to create an on-line race for 12 laps as was planned. So we made it for 15. At the start of this race Alan experienced the 'controller-config' bug, he couldn't move off the grid and I slammed right into the back of him. :ouch: (Sorry Alan). He then started to move. But only just. I hit the gas and promptly hit him again. :lol: By the time we both got started in earnest we were a good 12 seconds behind the rest of the field. My own race was marred by several mistakes, I suppose my frustration at the start having gotten the better of me, it was at least 5 laps in before I started putting down decent lap times. At one point I was able to get around MHailwood but an error when following another car too closely put us both into the wall and allowed him to get by again. From that point, our lap times were similar (when I wasn't making mistakes). But no hope of catching him and Alan's retirement meant I finished the race in 3rd. I really like this track, although I personally think there should be bigger penalties for making contact with the armco, both in time and car damage.

The Final Results:
1) GTP_Theewar (no time) - 10 points
2) MHailwood - 2:15.55 - 8 points
3) jjaisli - 2:15.14* - 6 + 1 = 7 points
4) mhm66 - 2:16.95 - 6 points
5) Shaggy_Alonso - 2:20.52 - 4 points
6) AlanG - RTD - 3 points
7) Arove - RTD (did not complete 70% but awarded 2 points)

Total Race Time: 34 min 37.27 seconds

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLhRMVp1HwE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BLhRMVp1HwE&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

3) Autoclub Speedway Oval - 20 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

Oval racing is a new dimension and it was quite interesting. You realize very quickly how important it is to draft your opponents and take a proper line. I thought I would have this race down but I lost touch with the 2 leaders on lap 13 when hit with the 'hug bug' again. And I thought I'd be a shoe in for 3rd when an overzealous drafting move put me way out of contention. :lol: that's how it goes. Congratulations to Alan who REALLY nailed this one and played it smart. Better luck and lesson learned for Shaggy who lost touch with the leaders and without the benefit of the draft, fell further and further adrift. (Just keep your foot planted and steer, indeed). ;)

The Final Results:
1) AlanG184 - no time - 10 points
2) GTP_Theewar - 0.54.02 - 8 points
3) MHailwood - 0.54.34 - 6 points
4) mhm66 - 0.54.77 - 5 points
5) Cooldawn - 0.54.77 - 4 points
6) jjaisli - 0.53.97* - 3 + 1 = 4 points
7) Shaggy_Alonso - 0.55.15 - 2 points
8) Avore - RTD 1 point

Total Race Time: 18 min 35.12 seconds

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/MhyernUo5ds&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/MhyernUo5ds&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

4) Infineon Sprint Course - 9 Laps - Wet - Random Grid

:ouch: Yes, once again, the race wasn't as planned but 1 revolution short at 9 laps was a blessing for me. Some serious lag had deadly consequences for me at this track: twice connecting with MHailwood and once sent bouncing across the track and another hard hit from behind by newcomer edoardo85 pretty much ruined my million dollar classic. ;) But my lap times even when running in 'clean air' were nothing to write home about. This car under these conditions was a handful. An absolutely stellar lap by Alan, nearly 4 seconds clear of the field should have awarded him a "wet" Grid Girl kiss at least. ;)

The Final Results:
1) AlanG184 - 1.39 "something" - 10 + 1 = 11 points
2) mhm66 - 1.44.xx - 8 points
3) bobby54 - 1.44.04 - 6 points
4) cooldawn - 1.43.02 - 5 points
5) MHailwood - 1:43.16 - 4 points
6) Shaggy_Alonso - 1:44.31 - 3 points
7) jjaisli - 1:42.47 - 2 points
8) edoardo85 - RTD - 1 point (but I'll deduct 1/2 a point for knocking me off the track. Twice) :lol:

Total Race Time: 16 min 3.20 seconds (and not a second too soon). ;)

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/2FqtwvpMelk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/2FqtwvpMelk&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

5) Spa-Francorchamps - 9 Laps - Dry - Random Grid

:dunce: I know. Spa was supposed to be 12 Laps. But it was either 9 or 15 and 15 laps would have dragged this race on for another ~ 48 minutes (give or take). So we slashed it to 9 and let the chips fall. And the chips fell quite nicely until the end of the Kemmel straight. And then (at least for me) it all went wrong. I had a coming together with another car that was rather sidewise. I probably should have backed off but I figured I could squeeze through. Uh-uh. It put me into the wall at Les Combs, took me a while to recover and headed toward the next corner in last place. :dunce: From that point on, Spa became the most exciting race for me and great fun as I was able to charge through the field and finally finish in 3rd. 👍 Whoo-hoo! I was maybe making a little ground on MHailwood but I doubt I would have caught him even if the race had gone another 6 laps. And Alan with the fastest lap by over 2 full seconds was way out of touch. Class run guys.

The Final Results:
1) AlanG184 - 3:03.19* - 10 + 1 = 11 points
2) MHailwood - no time - 8 points
3) jjaisli - 3:05.32 - 6 points
4) bobby54 - 3:09.99 - 5 points
5) akaten - 3:10.60 - 4 points
6) cooldawn - 3:08.01 - 3 points
7) frawe - 3:14.30 - 2 points
8) Shaggy_Alonso - 3:13.09 - 1 point
9) Redgate - 3:12.32 - 0 points
10) mhm66 - 3:07.98 (retired) - 0 points **
11) edouardo85 - retired - 0 points (beat it :lol:)
** It's a shame that mhm66 was kicked form the lobby as he was set for a high points finish for certain.

Total Race Time: 28 min 31.15 seconds

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLRkOyqx6Co&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NLRkOyqx6Co&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4co2pyd-lM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/t4co2pyd-lM&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

[YOUTUBEhd]<object width="660" height="405"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYGP7MjPcVs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JYGP7MjPcVs&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&border=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="660" height="405"></embed></object>[/YOUTUBEhd]

EVENT RESULTS:
1) AlanG84 - 33 points (and that's with missing 1 race - outstanding)
2) MHailwood - 26 points
3) GTP_Theewar, mhm66, jjaisli - 18 points - 3 way tie
5) Cooldawn - 12 points
6) bobby54 - 11 points
7) Shaggy_Alonso - 10 points
8) Akaten - 4 points
9) Arvore - 2 points
10) Frawe - 1 point
11) Eduardo85 - 0 points
12) Redgate - 0 points[

In general, aside from the lag (and Edoardo85) everybody at least tried to run clean and respectful races and it was quite enjoyable. I particularly enjoyed Spa and aside from the lamentable start at Riviera, had great fun at most of the other races as well.

Hope to see you again soon!

P.S. No, it's not me. :drool: But I really think they 'captured' this car in the game. 👍

Good night!

Last edited:
1) AlanG84 - 33 points (and that's with missing 1 race - outstanding)

Well, you did award me some points for the Riviera DNF! Sorry for not keeping all the laptimes - I must have missed when you said to do so.

Great fun anyway. Was watching your Monza Youtube video - hilarious seeing that back straight crash again! 👍

Last edited:
hi jeff
I think it was a great event,despite the lag and connection problem.they really have to
step up at eutechnyx to sort this out.I saw you missed some of my times.I only got
infinion sprint and spa,but lost connection on spa with ½ a lap to go:crazy:
infinion 1:42:xx
spa 3:07:98
hope we do it again:tup:

Thanks Henrik. Your times have been added to the post. YouTube is just processing the last video (Part III from Spa) although I don't think it's really interesting. I edited a lot out of Riviera to make YouTube's <10 min requirement but the majority of what I edited out was simply free running with no other cars in view. (And I didn't think anybody really wanted to see the two of us hit the wall--and then each other. :scared::crazy::nervous::lol:)

One additional comment I wanted to make about this event. Frawe made a statement in the lobby at the end of the race that he checked the ping before entering my lobby and there were 2 orange dots. I'm not an expert on this but I do know the relationship is a complex one. That Frawe saw two orange dots does not necessarily mean everybody else would. I regularly see 4 green dots when scanning lobbies. But sometimes single red dots on others. I suspect, for example, Arvore would have seen a single red dot before entering my lobby as he had a lot of connection problems. And it can happen that he may have a problem and other people are fine. And vice versa.

It all has to do with the pathway between your PS3, the router, your internet connection, how your local ISP connects to the web, how things are resolved by DNS servers and everything in between. And how everybody in the lobby interacts is also reflective of their ping speed relative both to the host and to each other. I don't envy programmers and developers who have to account for these things and are forced to write 'adaptive' code to compensate for lag and pocket losses. But when I consider how smooth and lag free the private lobbies seem to be in NFS:Shift (:crazy:), I'm sure Eutechnyx can do better. And perhaps it's time to send them a letter of...encouragement. :mischievous: Hopefully these videos will help to illustrate the point.

I'll post details of the next event sometime later this week. But I'm probably shooting for Sunday, November 1st. Around the same time or perhaps a bit earlier.

Not that I know of. (And as for edouardo, he can bugger off. :lol:) But I left the lobby open for whoever wanted to take part. I had really hoped to have 16 people in the lobby and I didn't see any harm in having other people join (except for edouardo ;))

I'm not sure what happened to Blitz187 (I know he was on-line). And I'm guessing Hereward was just Chicken. ;)

Not that I know of. (And as for edouardo, he can bugger off. :lol:) But I left the lobby open for whoever wanted to take part. I had really hoped to have 16 people in the lobby and I didn't see any harm in having other people join (except for edouardo ;))
So does that mean players from here should get more points...moved up the final positions in each race if non-members are above?

Just wondering...don't mind either way as long as I know.

I hadn't really thought about it. But I don't think so. Everybody has a fair chance. And if GTPlanet members want to show real cojones, they should be finishing races ahead of people just coming in for a look-see. ;)

That said, if enough people really think it's better to have a 'closed' lobby than I can always make it private in the future and have only GTPlanet or Eutechnyx members or both. Until now, I thought it was beneficial to run open lobbies. This game is still in it's infancy and more people will be joining. If the lag issues can be cleaned up and we garner enough interest, in these races, we'll probably have to go down that road by default.

But for now, I'd prefer to leave it as is.

I'm not sure what happened to Blitz187 (I know he was on-line).

I chickened out too :P Had some friends over for dinner in the evening and couldnt join you guys. Hope you had a good time though :) Those old cars are tricky in this game.

sadly:nervous::ouch::indiff:,connection issues kicked me out of last stday oldtimer's TR 250 Competition,as i've already said to jjaisli his ping was a red dot display in the chosing online lobby menu,despite he has a good connection. I think mine has it's one issues altought the 10mls latency the 3.2 upload and the 50 mg download allows me to play shift and other games-fc-for example-free of these anoying bugs.Never the less i'm ready to give it another go next sunday and hope online bugs to choose another victim this time:):):)see ya all there

Back