2 local(Charleston, SC) R-34 Skylines

• Thread starter Josh
  • 31 comments

Josh

Silent Army
Staff Emeritus
United States
South Carolina
The purple-ish one is owned by a guy named Colin. He's a total dick. Also owns a Silver Sti with supposedly somewhere around 600hp, but it's slow as balls and he says he'll only race for $40k... which is beyond retarted.

The blue one is owned by a 22 or 23 year old. He has the White Sti in the background of Colin's Skyline. He races Porsche GT3 Cup cars professionally. Name's Leh Keen. Another kid around here has a black R-32, but I've only seen him racing it at the local 8th mile strip - never got pictures.

No, I don't know where, or how, they got them, or who they got them through. All I know is they are both legal, and neither Colin or Leh paid over $70,000. Colin's is stock, and Leh's just recently dyno'ed 530hp with a few mods. Both draw bigger crowds than Jesus himself could.

colinskyline0029tx.jpg

colinskyline0033zi.jpg

colinskyline0284sg.jpg

colinskyline0068ey.jpg

colinskyline0111pk.jpg

colinskyline0124ri.jpg

colinskyline0173hd.jpg

colinskyline0194ml.jpg

colinskyline0238hf.jpg

r34dyno1qy9.jpg

skylinehere142sis8.jpg

skylinehere012saa5.jpg

skylinehere051sjz8.jpg

skylinehere052scw1.jpg

skylinehere053sis2.jpg

skylinehere055sep7.jpg

skylinehere063sjp2.jpg

skylinehere065skn5.jpg

skylinehere069sez3.jpg

skylinehere067sze4.jpg

skylinehere071sun3.jpg

skylinehere113snt4.jpg

skylinehere128sxr3.jpg

gtrzr0.jpg

Damn, those are hot as hell. You should ask how they got them in, I'm curious as hell!

Both Skyline are hot, but those gold rims match the blue perfectly!

Btw, can anyone tell me why R34's in the US are hard to import? I live in the EU and you can buy one at the dealer if the dealer imported them.. But since Nissan stopt building them in 2002 they are hard to get..

It's nice to see a stock Skyline, especially in purple. The blue/gold is so overdone.

Btw, can anyone tell me why R34's in the US are hard to import?

They don't meet crash or emissions standards in the US.

I prefer the stock body kit rather than that one on the blue one.

They don't meet crash or emissions standards in the US.

It's not that they don't meet the US standards, it's that they have to be tested and proven to meet the standards but from what I know the US government makes that a very hard and expensive excerise.

All imports must also meet Australian standards also but our government is much much easier (less red tape not referring to the standard itself) and cheaper to do that so once the car gets passed we got tons of them and well priced.

I thought places like RB Motoring (and that other place, can't think of the name off the top of my head) had to do something to the bumpers and the exhaust before they could sell them? Maybe it was just California laws or something.

I thought places like RB Motoring (and that other place, can't think of the name off the top of my head) had to do something to the bumpers and the exhaust before they could sell them? Maybe it was just California laws or something.

Yeah probably, most/many countrys require some modifications (including Australia) but thats not a proper reason the high price and red tape. I feel the US just wants to keep these imports coming in only under a very small rate, I may be wrong as I don't know the specifics.

The real reason is t3h US are scared of t3h GTR! :lol:

Honestly though that blue one is very nice. Reminds me of "Kismo's" GTR that is on the interweb.

RB from what I hear is gone.

I think I remember an article where he reported that the R32s and R34s meet the same crash safety standard as the R33 which landed him in some fines.
Now, from that, the R34s and R32s are said to be illegal from here-out.

I've read about a "work around" where you can have the engine and the rest of the car shipped over seperatly and then assemble it over here and it is considered a kit car.

I didn't take the photo's. Leh - owner of blue R-34 - took them. I believe he has a Rebel XT, but not sure. He takes some nice ass pics, though.

i think i know where the blue one came from, odd as it may seem. I will give a location of the car
the two car are right below and above eachother. http://unreal-imports.com/id30.html Apparently both paid about 55k and the blue one came with 480hp.
Don't ask how i knew where that was:dopey: lucky guys
anyways, thats where the cars came from:tup:
Might i also be so bold as to say that the black one you saw might be up there too?

PS: the cars are 3rd and 4th down

Now how much extra did it cost them to get them legal road registered in the US?

i dont know if they are. My brother found a site about a fellow that did the legalizing himself. I will see if i can't get a link and provide.

i think i know where the blue one came from, odd as it may seem. I will give a location of the car
the two car are right below and above eachother. http://unreal-imports.com/id30.html Apparently both paid about 55k and the blue one came with 480hp.
Don't ask how i knew where that was:dopey: lucky guys
anyways, thats where the cars came from:tup:
Might i also be so bold as to say that the black one you saw might be up there too?

PS: the cars are 3rd and 4th down

Josh's black R-32 wasn't on that page, but yes the 3rd and 4th down are the same one's. The Show Zone(place behind the purple one) is actually a local place which sucks ass.

RB from what I hear is gone.

I think I remember an article where he reported that the R32s and R34s meet the same crash safety standard as the R33 which landed him in some fines.
Now, from that, the R34s and R32s are said to be illegal from here-out.

This is correct. The R33 is the only "modern" Skyline that is elegible to be imported and legalized to run in the USA. You COULD ship the drivetrain and car body seperate and use the Kit Car bypass...but I wouldn't trust anyone to put it back together again.

I love Skylines so much I'd love to have the normal non turbo automatic R33 Skyline. Such a beautiful car.

...but I wouldn't trust anyone to put it back together again.

I would be much more concerned about who and how someone pulled it apart, thats much the key to how it is put back together. I don't let anyone but myself work on my car.

i wish i had the income to buy a skyline, but i found a link to a .gov site that provides a full explanation on how cars can be imported, with okay's from the cars manufacturer and so forth. There is also a list of pre certified list of cars that only have to go through so much to get here (safety equipment, EPA and so forth), me having an mr2 i would be more than happy with a JDM mr2 turbo.:dopey: In any case, i shall provide the links to all you fellas that may be interested in an import car.
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import/graymarket_RI_list01092006.html
http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/rules/import (list of cars already eligible for US import)
^ also provided are the registered importers for a car one may want
the links were taken from mr2oc.com , an mr2 owners club i am part of:)
enjoy guys

I'm glad you guys liked the cars that Colin and Leh bought from us.
You should see Mike's car, he owns the HKS Kansais Vspec2 NUR, it took us less than a week to find that car for him.
But all in all they are all happy.
We have shipped 70 or so cars to the US, mostly Nissan Skylines, some Silvia's, GTiR's and EVO's as well.
And most of these cars are not pulled apart nor stripped and shipped without engines and tranny.
They are all shipped as complete cars, and usually the buyers have to deal with the customs issues, and titling of these cars.
They just buy the cars from us and we ship it to wherever its going.
Nowadays, you'd be lucky to get cars in the US that are not stripped, customs are very hot on these cars.
But some people that know other people, that know other people, they can facilitate in getting them in, but with a big price tag.
And like I said, we do not like to deal with those issues.

Anyways guys.....good luck with whatever you do

Lehman is an active poster on Supraforums, a great driver, well respected amongst autocrossers 'n road racers, and I'm pretty sure he still owns his '94 Supra, too! He's always posting sweet pictures and videos from his track events, great stuff to watch!

Back