G27 Vs. G25

• Thread starter capt_aaa
  • 62 comments
Few differences I've noticed between G25 and G27 after a few weeks of ownership.

1. Although G25 is already pretty quiet, G27 is almost dead silent when turning the wheel. But because of how quiet it is, there is a very unusual "clunk" sound when force feedback motors change direction. On the contrary, G25 does not have such sound when force feedback motors are fighting the wheel, but has very consistent gear whine.

Force feedback on both wheels feel identical.

2. G27's steering wheel is slightly thicker, there is almost no difference in (gameplay) feel unless directly compared side by side.

3. G25's and G27's leather are different, G25's is kind of glossy while G27's is matte. Not sure if it's just my wheel, but G27's leather doesn't wrap around the wheel as well the G25's. G25's leather wraps almost perfectly without winkles around tight corners, same can't be said for my G27.

4. G27's shifter not only has more positive "click" feel but is also much quieter. Though G25's shifter can be easily modded for same amount or heavier resistance.

5. Besides the added plastic spacer on G27's pedals, they appear to be exactly identical. At the same time, G25's stock pedal arrange was never an issue for me.

6. Shifter paddles and shift lights do not work in GT5P as of now, so no sequential mode.

In my opinion,
- If you already own a G25 there is no reason to "upgrade" to a G27.
- If price difference was taken out of the equation, I'd probably get a G27 (assuming sequential support gets added by GT5 later). Even with some shortcomings, it just feels slightly nicer right out of the box. (only very slightly)

Other interesting bits:

- G25/G27 pedals are interchangeable and functional 100%

- G25/G27 shifters are NOT interchangeable, the connector plugs are the same, but they don't work.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I just ordered a G27 for 289.99 $ CAD. This is my christmas gift so I'll only be able to play with it after christmas.
Anyway I can't wait to play with my new G27...25 days still a long time. :lol:

then again if you have an awesome wife have her watch insidesimracing and bug her a little.

Does your wife consult you about her shoe purchases? So next time just get the money you earned hard and buy something for you and do not ask your wife :) (unless of course wife holds the coin chest key and buying a game controller is the least of your worries)

5. Besides the added plastic spacer on G27's pedals, they appear to be exactly identical. At the same time, G25's stock pedal arrange was never an issue for me.
not exactly indentical, G27's pedals got optical sensors instead of G25's regular potentiometers
4. G27's shifter not only has more positive "click" feel but is also much quieter. Though G25's shifter can be easily modded for same amount or heavier resistance.
modding can cause you a loss of rear gear

anyways I'm getting G27 in few weeks (warranty replacement of my G25) so I will see a difference myself

Thanks for the opinions guys! I found a G25 for $250 Canadian and i think i'll go with that. I'm currently using a DFGT, which does work incredibly well with GT5P in my opinion.

One thing i noticed with it though (DFGT) is that when i play GTR EVO (my other current sim, soon to get LFS) is that the pedals seem to have a bit of lag when pressure is applied, which doesn't happen in GT5P. The pedals react perfectly in the control options but during gameplay it seems i have to push my brake pedal down about 1/4-1/2 of the way down to get it to kick in which really mucks me up at times.

My question is does the G25 have this (minor) problem? I know its primarily a PC wheel so i would assume no.

Last edited:
not exactly indentical, G27's pedals got optical sensors instead of G25's regular potentiometers

I'm not sure where you've heard about G27 having optical sensors, but it is definitely not true. Optical sensors would need a powered circuit to function, as you can see in the pictures of my G27 pedals taken apart below, it definitely has the same analogue potentiometers as my G25's. On top of that both pedals are completely interchangeable and function 100%.

G27:
IMG_7584.jpg

G25:
IMG_7582.jpg

modding can cause you a loss of rear gear
I've had the no-reverse problem and it was caused by loose connection on the push down trigger and was easily repaired. Modding has absolutely nothing to do with the issue, if anything you'd have to take the shifter apart to fix the problem.

I also snapped this picture for you guys, the horizontal pedal adjust-ability on all three G27's pedal.
IMG_7586.jpg

Brandon

Thanks for the opinions guys! I found a G25 for $250 Canadian and i think i'll go with that. I'm currently using a DFGT, which does work incredibly well with GT5P in my opinion.

I hate to tell you this, but I paid $225 CDN for my G25 more than 2 years ago. It seems like you ought to be able to get a better deal than that now.

Ah so this is where my thread got moved too, i couldn't find it :D

Thanks for the advice guys. But due to a recent price hike in the price of G25s i am now considering the less expensive DFGT. I iwll be using it primarily for GT5, but i know the DFGT is compatible with PC too.

I hate to tell you this, but I paid $225 CDN for my G25 more than 2 years ago. It seems like you ought to be able to get a better deal than that now.

On the internet easily but not at a retail store. Plus i can only find one in my city at retail.

A couple years ago I got my G25 from $299AUD (back then our dollar was much weaker also) but I haven't seen it that price for a long time, seems about 2 years ago prices were lowest for G25. though now with the G27 they should drop again if they haven't already.

Yeah, it's a little weird how the price for speciality electronics like the G25 fluctuates, while the price for mass-market items like HDTVS drops consistently month after month.

Jay
A couple years ago I got my G25 from $299AUD (back then our dollar was much weaker also) but I haven't seen it that price for a long time, seems about 2 years ago prices were lowest for G25. though now with the G27 they should drop again if they haven't already.

Serious? I scowered the internet the other day to find a local gaming store that did it for $399! Earlier in the day though, I found a G25 on a website for $265.65, only they imported their stock from the U S of A and were still awaiting arrival. I will hit the local store tomorrow and quote the online price. What price do you think I should try and get it for? (considering the wait until onine stock could get in + Everyone knows how long shipping takes in Aus...)

I didn't realize the G27 had no compatibility for sequential shifting in GT5p.
This being the case, the H pattern is only way to change gears......so you must use the clutch??
This would make any GT5p race events, official or unofficial a disqualification, under the current rules.
I understand that the wheel is used for other games, primarily PC- (rfactor, LFS), but a fair chunck of the sales would go to GT uses surely.
I am wheel user on GT for 11 years and have always used the paddles. I wouldn't think I was a minority in doing this.

I didn't realize the G27 had no compatibility for sequential shifting in GT5p.
This being the case, the H pattern is only way to change gears......so you must use the clutch??
Clutch can be disabled/enabled by pressing triangle during race when using H pattern shifter.

Yep, infact it was someone here at GTP that pointed out Dick Smith Electronics had it for $299 I snapped it up immediately, then a few months later the sale came back but I haven't seen it since. Always seems to be $399 now (was $449 normally back in those days too).

IMO: using the H-shifter is a definite disadvantage in GT5P (or any other game) as it is possible to mess up your gear shifts. For the first few months I did this on a fairly regular basis, gradually I got used to the feel of the shifter & feel perfectly comfortable with it now. However, I still miss-shift once every two or three laps, & this can be enough to lose you a close race.

The clutch in GT5P is very difficult to use, because there is no feel to it & the point of engagement is rather precise. I can't imagine using the clutch really offers an advantage in GT5P overall, but it might help in setting a single fast lap time. I don't generally use the clutch in GT5P because it is so finicky & just doesn't "feel" satisfying to use. I like using the clutch in Shift however, where it is more forgiving & feels more "responsive", even though it's still an "on-/off" switch basically.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of using a wheel.

For myself, GT allows me to "drive" different cars that I don't have the opportunity to in real life, if the car I'm driving has a clutch then I should be using it when racing in GT. Disadvantage or not in terms of winning a race or setting lap time records make absolutely no difference to me, the enjoyment of simulating the driving experience does.

I guess it depends on what you are looking for out of using a wheel.

For myself, GT allows me to "drive" different cars that I don't have the opportunity to in real life, if the car I'm driving has a clutch then I should be using it when racing in GT. Disadvantage or not in terms of winning a race or setting lap time records make absolutely no difference to me, the enjoyment of simulating the driving experience does.

The point I was trying to make is pretty much the same one: the reason for not using the G25 paddles on a manual shift car has nothing to do with being faster, it has to do with making the driving feeling more authentic. However, I do not generally use the clutch with GT5P because the implementation of the clutch is so poor, that I find it at annoying to use, as well as a hindrance to better lap times. On the other hand, in Shift I DO use the clutch because it is less finicky to use, which shows me that potentially the G25 clutch is quite usable.

So my old G25 broke down and I'm looking to get a new one but I can't seem to find any new G25's anywhere. I prefer not to buy online but if its the only way to get a new one I'll do it.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, a Canadian retailer would be great if possible.

If anyone can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it, a Canadian retailer would be great if possible.

www.directcanada.com

G25 for 275 $ and G27 for 285 $. Lowest price around and free shipping over 300 $ so just order a small item and you will save on shipping. I just got mine tonight, everything is fine, well wrapped and shipped fast.

If you want a sequential shifter and don't want to buy the G25, take a look at thsi. It's from somenone on racesimcentral.

[FONT=&quot]I want to show you how I`ve build my sequential-shifter nice & easy:

Get yourself a BMW automatic transmition shifter which features "Steptronic", mine I`ve got on german Ebay for round about 10,-€, it`s from an E39 but other Bimmers have the same type... they`re always cheap because normally they will never break!
Get rid of all parts that have to do with mechanical shifting, here´s a picture, everything marked with a red arrow has to be stripped off:

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]After that cut up the internal wiring, lengthen the single wires and connect in parallel to your shifting paddles or to your separate USB-controler. I`ve also rotated the single switch on the right so that it closes when I smack the shifter to the right (away from me)- that way I engage neutral gear! After pulling the shifter back to left in it`s normal operating level I can shift gears up and down again...[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]

[/FONT] [FONT=&quot]Finally I cut away a lot of excess material of the bottom plate and installed everything on my raceframe. Went to the local car parts dealer and got me a nice leather bag and an aluminium shift knob which were by far the most expensive components- finished!

It`s an absolutly rugged design and I doubt that anybody could built a shifter which can stand more abuse on such a small budget! It has a "true" and very precise feeling while using it and needs quite some force to shift gears. The shiftrod itself is hollow so you could also use a knob with built-in buttons...

I`m using this device now for some month without the slightest problems and can highly recommend it-
if somebody out there wants to do build his own and has questions: Just ask me!
[/FONT]

It seems that RSC is offline due to server problems.

For the G25 and G27 owners, take a look at this:

http://www.perfectpedal.com/

http://www.apelectrix.com/index.html

just got my G27 today from Amazon for 250 total. It was really nice, lack of paddle shifter in GT5P is a bummer but I'll get over it. It was a lot more quieter than my old DFP that when I plug it in, I thought there is something wrong with the wheel.

One thing i noticed with it though (DFGT) is that when i play GTR EVO (my other current sim, soon to get LFS) is that the pedals seem to have a bit of lag when pressure is applied, which doesn't happen in GT5P. The pedals react perfectly in the control options but during gameplay it seems i have to push my brake pedal down about 1/4-1/2 of the way down to get it to kick in which really mucks me up at times.

My question is does the G25 have this (minor) problem? I know its primarily a PC wheel so i would assume no.

Just to pick up on this: I suspect you're having the old known GMotor sim engine bug. Try recalibrating both the brake and accelerator pedal in your controller profile, but do the brake first then the accelerator. That *should* cure your problem of the brake not reacting to the first part of travel.

I had this issue quite a lot with my old FFGP wheel, and maybe right at the start with the G25 (mine is well over 2 years old now and going strong). Not had it with the G25 in ages, come to think of it.

One more thing: The DFGT runs best with the newest Logitech 5.08 profiler drivers. Maybe you're running earlier ones?

1. Although G25 is already pretty quiet, G27 is almost dead silent when turning the wheel. But because of how quiet it is, there is a very unusual "clunk" sound when force feedback motors change direction. On the contrary, G25 does not have such sound when force feedback motors are fighting the wheel, but has very consistent gear whine.

Mine also has this clunk and it may be in my head but it already seems to be happening more often, can anyone else attest to this noise and if so does it happen quite often? This and the red piece on the throttle pedal seems to be loose compared to the other two pedals are my only concern with the G27. Aside from those two things it is a awesome wheel... compared to my DFP :)

Back