Will GT5 and the G27 (wheel)?

• Thread starter lokness
  • 177 comments
BWX
Oh, and if the clutch works in GT5 w/ the G25- but not with the G27? Damn.. people will RIOT in the streets. Plus both my G25s will instantly become much more valuable.

Not gonna happen the G27 is basically the same wheel only better made.

if bougght a G25 just coz it had a clutch and was built with proper materials...

Very nice choice.

the GT wheel, although nice seems like some sorta cheap plastic version, but still costs quite a lot for what it is.

This wheel was good but when you get your (upper G model) :) You never regret it. Screw that little red dial and the horn button.

However, in GT5P i never tried this neutral stuff you guys mention with thr triangle.
I usually use the paddle shifters behind the wheel anyways, mostly coz i have a crappy chair ect. no "real" driving position like one of those race seats with proper placing for the wheel and pedals. :(
(hard to use the cluth if you get a cramp if your ankle :P)

Umm how the hell are you using your paddles? GT5P doesn't support the paddles.

The G25's paddles work in Prologue. The G27's do not. There are more differences between them than one just being "better made". ;)

The G25's paddles work in Prologue. The G27's do not. There are more differences between them than one just being "better made". ;)

Oh wow I didn't know that.

Touche! :) The only reason I even got the G27 is because I heard that the guts had been upgraded and it was quieter.

I really don't want to complane but after the letdown of not to be able to change the wheels on standard cars this whole clutch/H shifter thing is driving me mad. I received my G27 and WSPro just a few weeks ago. I payed around 400 euros for them and now it may not be supported. If this is thue PD or Logitech are really have to do something about it in the first weeks after release or will have big problems with guys like me or their retailers that get real upset. This is one of those things that just can't be true. If thue then I will be very very dissapointed.

My understanding of what was quoted and the current situation is as follows:

- It is a fact that for GT5 Prologue, the paddle shifters and the clutch work on the G25, and for the G27 the paddles do NOT work but the clutch does. So, both have functional clutches.

- It is a fact that the button assignment for the G25 and G27 took place under the DFP menu in GT5 Prologue.

- It is a fact that for the later-released GT5 Academy TT at Indianapolis in the 370Z, the paddles on the G27 worked. For this demo TT the clutch was disabled for G25 and G27. Button assignment for G25 and G27 still took place under the DFP menu.

- It is a fact that through certain modifications, in GT5P with the use of the G25 (and I assume the G27) there was a way to flat-shift using the clutch. This is most obvious in the online time trial leaderboards from users |_|AmiR|_| and |_|UfuK|_| who modified their equipment to allow shifting up without the loss of any power, hence massively better time trial times. This was also possible in races. This in my opinion, is the unfair advantage that they are referring to.

- In the first GT Academy, clutch use was allowed. In the GT5 Academy TT the clutch was disabled, possibly due to the above advantage the modification brings to the G25/27 user's upshifting.

My interpretation is that as a result of this modification's massive advantage over other wheels in regards to the G25 and G27, Polyphony Digital cannot "Officially" support these wheels as Logitech have not created firmware to eliminate the advantage of this modification. I therefore believe that you will still be able to use your clutch on your G25 and G27 in Gran Turismo 5, and maybe the modification to allow flatshifting will still work.

However, if PD go so far as to actually completely disable the clutch for G25, and you have purchased a G27 or G25, the paddles will still work, the pedals and build quality will still be superior to that of a DFGT.

It's my opinion that the clutch will work in GT5, they just cannot officially support the wheels due to the unfair advantage of the modification.

All the best
Maz

Not gonna happen the G27 is basically the same wheel only better made.
Not any "better made" just different. Quieter, but mechanically not "better". It's not as if the G27 is of higher quality parts.. it is not.

Uhh.. wrong again.

regardless of official support, as long as the G27 is fully functional (paddle works, and ability to activate clutch) I'm happy.

the G27 is pretty much useless in GT5P if u wanted to drive manual in a 7 speed car, since only the shifter worked

Nice work Synwraith. I really hope GT5/PD will support the G27 for the whole game but take away this called advantage in clutch ussage for leaderboardracing by only allowing shiftpedal gearchanges. I really hope so.

- It is a fact that for GT5 Prologue, the paddle shifters and the clutch work on the G25, and for the G27 the paddles do NOT work but the clutch does. So, both have functional clutches.

- It is a fact that the button assignment for the G25 and G27 took place under the DFP menu in GT5 Prologue.

- It is a fact that for the later-released GT5 Academy TT at Indianapolis in the 370Z, the paddles on the G27 worked. For this demo TT the clutch was disabled for G25 and G27. Button assignment for G25 and G27 still took place under the DFP menu.

- It is a fact that through certain modifications, in GT5P with the use of the G25 (and I assume the G27) there was a way to flat-shift using the clutch. This is most obvious in the online time trial leaderboards from users |_|AmiR|_| and |_|UfuK|_| who modified their equipment to allow shifting up without the loss of any power, hence massively better time trial times. This was also possible in races. This in my opinion, is the unfair advantage that they are referring to.

- In the first GT Academy, clutch use was allowed. In the GT5 Academy TT the clutch was disabled, possibly due to the above advantage the modification brings to the G25/27 user's upshifting.

My interpretation is that as a result of this modification's massive advantage over other wheels in regards to the G25 and G27, Polyphony Digital cannot "Officially" support these wheels as Logitech have not created firmware to eliminate the advantage of this modification. I therefore believe that you will still be able to use your clutch on your G25 and G27 in Gran Turismo 5, and maybe the modification to allow flatshifting will still work.

However, if PD go so far as to actually completely disable the clutch for G25, and you have purchased a G27 or G25, the paddles will still work, the pedals and build quality will still be superior to that of a DFGT.

It's my opinion that the clutch will work in GT5, they just cannot officially support the wheels due to the unfair advantage of the modification.

All the best
Maz

I hope you are right, but everything always worked on the G25 in GT5p, and here- http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=24399741&postcount=3560 --he only mentions the G27, and the unfair advantage, not G25. Of course that doesn't mean it wouldn't also pertain to the G25 like you said.

Still this cannot be the reason the G series wheels aren't officially supported with their own setup screens etc.. it may be true, but I bet it's still just an excuse.

It always comes down to money. They couldn't come to an agreement and we all suffer. Owners of G wheels anyway.

regardless of official support, as long as the G27 is fully functional (paddle works, and ability to activate clutch) I'm happy.

the G27 is pretty much useless in GT5P if u wanted to drive manual in a 7 speed car, since only the shifter worked

Of course it will work to steer and shift, it's the clutch pedal that may be a problem.. BIG maybe... or I suppose the paddle shifters but I connot imagin that happening.

All we know really is that it is not listed in the setup screen, so anything is possible. Nothing about the G25 or G27 is guaranteed to work in GT5 at this point, especially the clutch pedals.

I think they don´t support the G25/27-Fanatec because of money! When Logitec and Fanatec would pay, they would support even when you could cheat with it...

How can we approach Sony or PD with question on this topic? It can't be too much work add configuration screen for G25/27 and disable clutch only for time trials. I will even pay for it like $5 or so if it comes in form of DLC.

BWX
Of course it will work to steer and shift, it's the clutch pedal that may be a problem.. BIG maybe... or I suppose the paddle shifters but I connot imagin that happening.

All we know really is that it is not listed in the setup screen, so anything is possible. Nothing about the G25 or G27 is guaranteed to work in GT5 at this point, especially the clutch pedals.

if paddles don't work like the G27 on GT5P then its not fully functional.

having the clutch to work in GT5 is just icing on the cake. especially when PD never promised support on it.

I too also paid $300 a few months ago to prepare for GT5's release. I would be highly disappointed if this was true. The only reason I bought the G27 was to have a realistic driving experience since it has the gearbox and clutch. I'm seriously hoping that the clutch, shift led's and paddles will all function in GT5 next week when I receive my copy. If not, I would like to form together with all the g25/g27 owners and speak out to Logitech, Sony or PD about this issue so that they can know that we owners are very upset that we paid a lot of money for this wheel in readiness for GT5 only to find out that certain functions do not work. I really hope that this isn't the case.

Hope one of the guys with an early leaked copy of the game has either wheel and can confirm all of this for us.

I have no steering wheel / pedals here, I havn't got much of a clue on how a clutch controller works, but PD's excuse "well Logitech didn't fix their firmware" sounds ridiculous. I imagine that the controller just relays the position of a certain button/pedal, and the game decides what's happening with your virtual car. Correct?

Unless the pedal controller is not accurate enough in communicating it's position (to tell if it is on point of engaging / slipping) what could hold PD from writing software to circumvent any trickery?
Or do clutch-pedal-controllers not bother at all with the engagement-point and just need to be fully pressed to disengage / unpressed to engage (regardless of the gas pedal)

All the best
Maz

Very well explained. Thank you.

Back