GTP & GTS EXCLUSIVE Gran Turismo 5 Retail Overview (SIXTH final Update)

• Thread starter amar212
  • 1,904 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
The more I read about this game, the less I want it... Right now, there are a few make or break features involved; mainly Race modification - will it be for all cars, or just a few premium models? And I can´t stress enough on the importance of mechanical damage. Of course visual damage has some immersive relevance, but mechanical is what counts.

I must say again that I feel loke PD have been focusing on the wrong things for a few years. I could´ve easilty done without the track editor and had more Premium cars instead. And I must ad that some included Premium cars are questionable at best... A VW Scwimmwagen is Premium, but the Veyron is not? I fail to see the logic.
However, if I´m able to racemodify the majority of the Standard cars I´m interested in, that´s a saviour. Otherwise I think I´m actually going to skip GT5 and wait for 6 instead. What is 6 more years in that perspective? :)

What if a car ran you over in a month's time and you died not having played GT5? :)

Live life to the fullest my friend! The money you save won't serve you much when your dead...

No not at all. Its really pathetic that people are whinging about the lack of rim changes on standard cars. Absolute joke.

No its an absolute joke how you cannot change the rims

IRL if you have ever drove a car or been into tuning/racing cars you would understand one of the first modifications to help a car accelerate/turn/decelerate (anything that affects its rotational mass) can be changed.

Wheels usually being the biggest/heaviest are the 1st thing to be changed to a lighter/wider/stronger/asthetically pleasing wheel.

You would have thought the great "Polyphony Digital" would maybe have taken this into consideration considering how much they spend making this the game to the level they do esp since they love tuner cars and track days.

Many thanks for the in depth review Amar 👍

Just one question for you. I know it's what everyone has really been waiting to hear confirmed. Do standard cars have reverse lights?

i dont give a crap about damage in the chasis of the car , just want to have damage in the car systems , thats essential , if you go 170kmh against wall , your car stalls and dont start again , or if starts you couldnt make it go to the track again. if i want no damage ill play nfs hot persuit , ( oh my bad) even nfs arcade game , no doubt , have damage.

Anything about the AI? Hopefully they're not totally stupid like they have been in past GT games.

Also....how come you can't drive without ABS? I've never had a problem with brake lockup in any racing sim with my G27. Makes me question the whole physics write-up when you can't even slow the car without the game holding your hand.

It's to do with grip levels and the poor travel and feel of spring pedals.
Low grip tyres lock up much quicker, combined with spring pedals and it doesn't feel so good. I get the same problem in iRacing with the DFGT and that's with slick shod race cars.

GT5 also doesn't allow you to change the pedal curves

Thanks for the brilliant review Amar.

Just one question, sorry if I've missed it before but can you upgrade anything on a standard car at all?

Not really bothered if you can't, there's still 200 premiums on offer which is more than enough. The 800+ standard cars are just a side-dish. :D

Dear Amar ;)

although your writing on the physics was quite extensive (thanks for that!), I still have one question.

- Are you able to catch a slide (oversteer) using your G25 and actually perform a drift?

Because in Prologue and especially the TT demo I found it nearly impossible to do :nervous: And the times I did pull it off, the counterslide was killing me...

I would be pleased to hear your opinion on this regarding GT5. Thanks in advance, and keep up the good work 👍👍

Ahhhhh Gran Turismo 5 The Real Driving Simulator.
The clue is in the title.

This is the fifth iteration of a driving simulator for a home console.
The four that came before it had more cars chronologically; as the hardware they were produced to run on grew, and could cope with a greater number of polygons, etc.

The object of the series has always been the same; to try to recreate the feeling of driving a car on different surfaces, using different types of cars, with different drive-trains, tyres, engine sizes, etc, and attempt to capture that feeling of controlling said cars.
The fact that there are so many of you on this forum reading Amar's comments, infact the fact that this forum exists and is home to so many friends, enemies and associates is testament to how well the series is liked around the world, or if not liked, then respected or maybe even just heard of.
It must be doing something right, right? :dopey:

What it isn't claiming to be is: The Real Damage Simulator.
What it isn't claiming to be is: The Real 1000 Cars Accurately Modelled Simulator.
What it isn't claiming to be is: The Real Alloy Wheel Swap Simulator.
What it isn't claiming to be is: The Real Fit Fibreglass To Your Pimped Ride Yo Simulator.

We are all waiting for a game to arrive sometime in the next 7 days that we have been looking forward to for 3 years or so, after our love of GT4 waned, and if you are not looking forward to this game, then why are you here?

Because we are waiting; we haven't sampled it's physics for ourselves, so we can't accurately comment on how it feels, and therefore the most important thing about the game, the true reason why the franchise even exists, the only fact that is central to its success, still eludes us.
Amar, on the other hand, can tell us what it feels like, in his best English, which I might add, being Croatian, is not as easy for him as speaking in his native tongue, yet he takes the criticisms and the constant questioning from ourselves, in his stride, and takes the time to even quote us and provide information to the most burning issues, including whether or not he's a clown. :ouch:
He doesn't have to do any of it. He doesn't have to tell us anything. He doesn't like us to miss out. He knows that to most of us around here, he is a bit of a celebrity, someone the community has grown to rely on for upcoming information, which is always accurate, informative and in most cases, exciting to read.
What we shouldn't do is take the opportunity to fill this thread with the same old arguments that are recreated in other threads around the world about 1000 premium cars, or damage, or bodykit attachments or whether or not flip paint is included ZOMG IZ NOT !!!!1111!!!???
What Amar has focused on, is the driving, the feeling of the driving, the simulation of the driving, and how close to real it is.
Funny coincidence, that.

Don't you think we should just thank him, enjoy what he tells us, thank him some more and then discover the joy of the game next week? If you don't that's fine, everyone has their own opinion, but really, if that is how you feel, then why are you in a Gran Turismo forum, reading about Gran Turismo 5, if you don't really care for it?

It's trying to be, on a console, for everyone's home;
The Real Driving Simulator.

Excuse me.

:irked:👍

Last edited:
Can I get confirmation that it is possible to have either

A) 2 seperate savegames, so i can have a save alone, and my wife can have a save.
B) can install and save, on 2 different profiles: so i can play off+online, and she can play offline.
C) No chance we can use 1 game only, and need to buy 2 games?

ps: Thanks for taking the time away from the game to answer questions, in all honesty i dont know if i could :)

I think everyone should take the time to read VEXD's comment above, as he has summed up very well, the mess that this thread has turned into.

Amar, you have made some very big comments about the handling/physics of GT5.
Surprisingly very early on with limited gameplay or usage of FWD, RWD, 4WD cars.

While I do not doubt your experience with the GT games I am wondering if that's partially from having "New Toy Syndrome" fuelled by the excitment of playing the game?

Your impression seems to point to how this instantly feels improved and unique.
So I hope it is as good as you make it out to be.

I dont think this thread should be titled as a review, however more of a first, "On Hand / Experienced" look at the game.
Such a huge game would require much deeper time/gameplay used to form an analysis.
It should also be more subjective if being called or looked upon as a review. However thats just my own opinion.

* Jordan / Front Page

Last edited:
amar212
Have you already raced in changeable weather condition?
The transition between dry and wet is something I am keen to know about.
Especially I want to know if a dry line appears on the track when it stops raining.

Holy crap. Nice answer man.

I saw a doco on military flight simulators a while back. The graphics on these things were terrible. They showed aircraft being shot down and they kind of flew into the ground and broke in the middle and little 8 bit flames came out, sort of looked like an animated gif.

But of course the cockpits were all exact replicas of the aircraft, and every control, communications and weapon was modeled incredibly accurately. The thing ran on a server cluster that filled a room.

Some compromises will have to be made on gt5. But the game should be judged on it's merits as a whole.

Our reviewer doesn't seem to be worried about damage modelling. His writing conveys nothing so clearly as the urge to stop writing and get back to playing the game, that's what I love about his review the most!

This thing you like about his review the most is the clearest sign for his involvement in some sort of viral marketing activity.
And once again: GT5 should not simulate the driving preparation process in a simulator, but the driving experience in a real racing car. Thats a difference and that is the reason why Fogerty_Jr's comparison is wrong.

amar said that it is probably not possible to transfer credits and cars from GT5p to GT5.

Amar, please can you check if you can race against the AI on created tracks?

It will take 10minutes to check and it's very important. If you cannot race against the AI on your created tracks, the mode is useless

Can I get confirmation that it is possible to have either

A) 2 seperate savegames, so i can have a save alone, and my wife can have a save.
B) can install and save, on 2 different profiles: so i can play off+online, and she can play offline.
C) No chance we can use 1 game only, and need to buy 2 games?

ps: Thanks for taking the time away from the game to answer questions, in all honesty i dont know if i could :)

You have to have 2 profiles in your PS3 and enter the gaem with which you like. 1instalation process, 2 separate savegames and both playing online not at the same time obviously.

I do so with my brother ;) I still can remember my brother erasing my PS2 savegames... god bless ps3 xD

Ahhhhh Gran Turismo 5 The Real Driving Simulator.

....cut to reduce space...

Don't you think we should just thank him, enjoy what he tells us, thank him some more and then discover the joy of the game next week? If you don't that's fine, everyone has their own opinion, but really, if that is how you feel, then why are you in a Gran Turismo forum, reading about Gran Tursimo 5, if you don't really care for it?

It's trying to be, on a console, for everyone's home;
The Real Driving Simulator.

Excuse me.

:irked:👍

Amen to that! That's all I can say.

Hey Amar, just delving a little deeper into the AI thing, I was wondering how FAST are the AI? I have always found them far too slow to be any fun to race against. Ive always had to use cars that are in completely different classes to make the race close (or in GT5:P what I did was give them R2 tyres and myself S3, this made it even in the corners and braking). Are they still atleast 10Kph slower through the corners than you?

If there are no surprises left, the game (and particularly GTmode) is going to be much less exciting.

Exactly the reason why I do not talk about actual content, GT Life mode details and I agree with you 100% 👍

Notice how Amar damage-control like a fanboy after every flaw he notices :dopey: Ok we heard about the 256mb video ram can you tell us again please for the 5th times ?

This review is ridiculousely biased but it gives a nice insight of the game so thanks anyway ....

Quote of the year :

I am aware that many people will find their complaints, but while they complain about this or that, they could better improve their driving skills instead of counting frames.

by amar212 :D

This thing you like about his review the most is the clearest sign for his involvement in some sort of viral marketing activity.
And once again: GT5 should not simulate the driving preparation process in a simulator, but the driving experience in a real racing car. Thats a difference and that is the reason why Fogerty_Jr's comparison is wrong.

Yes yes. Sony's keystone software title to their entire PS3 market strategy is being guerilla marketed to the GTPLANET website audience. Brilliant.

I dont think this thread should be titled as a review, however more of a first, "On Hand / Experienced" look at the game.
Such a huge game would require much deeper time/gameplay used to form an analysis.
It should also be more subjective but thats just my own opinion.

It doesn't say "review" but "overview", great difference :)

As for physics, I really find them exactly as described. Of course, it is purely subjective matter, but I also said that in more than few places. It is my personal overview, based on my purely subjective feel.

Somebody could find it oppositely different, and as always in life, we will both be right :)

Notice how Amar damage-control like a fanboy after every flaw he notices :dopey: Ok we heard about the 256mb video ram can you tell us again please for the 5th times ?

This review is ridiculousely biased but it gives a nice insight of the game so thanks anyway ....

Thank you for your psychological and professional expertise of my person, it has been noted ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back