PD should at least give us an inkling of whats on the horizon for GT5

• Thread starter loki993
  • 26 comments
Really now, I think we can all tell, or at least Im sure hoping that this game is going to recoeve some massive updates over its life.

Right now were all probally sitting here thinking wow, some of this stuff just wow.

I would like to think that if PD at least came clean and told us what was not finished or at least not like they wanted and what they planned on releasing in to future that would probally satisfy a lot of us.

For example, the wheel changing on the standards, sure it cant be done now, but IF PD came out tomorrow and said youll be able to do it eventually you just have to waid for a patch, I would probally be ok with that.

I just think that telling us what they were going to be addressing it would be a lot better than keeping everything secretive until its released.

I know the gamer hasnt been out a week yet, but I gotta think there are already plans to fix some of the stuff. Becasue I gotta think they knew it was broke before they put the game out.

I dont even want timeframes, just come out and acknowledge that the game was released before it was done and say were going to fix it would probally satisfy me.

Any other company would not keep its fans in the dark until the final copy of the game was ready. I dont think PD will spill the beans until days before the release.

We have no clue on what to except other than "online" features and enhancements.

The wheel patch for standards would be the first thing they should do with them. It seems the easiest.

Never going to happen. Japanese game developers have this way of doing things where they have 0 communication with the fans. They do things their own way and screw anyone else.

Look at PD, NO community interaction AT ALL during the 6 years of development. Square Enix is the same, Kojima is the same, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up that they'll come out and tell us anything.

It's true, Japanese are awful at keeping their fans in the loop. It would be nice, and to me it's necessary. We know, they know that a lot of things are half ass'd and they need to address some of the problems they are working on. This will also help sales as people will know they don't intend to leave us hanging. An I agree, I don't care about time frames either. I just want to know a couple things they are working on to meet our expectations. Cause lets face it, if everyone loved it, there would be no updates (except for DLC, but that's for money). Japanese developers just have a different mind set, they like to do what they like to do, and they get trapped in their world and I think they forget to share some of their hard work. They (Japanese) need to be more fan/consumer oriented.

PD communication has been atrocious. Compare this to devs that update their blogs and post on forums... The news section in Gt5 said "an update was released", with no info . pathetic. I love Gt5, but the communication has been as bad as any major game i have ever seen.

PD communication has been atrocious. Compare this to devs that update their blogs and post on forums... The news section in Gt5 said "an update was released", with no info . pathetic. I love Gt5, but the communication has been as bad as any major game i have ever seen.

If there's one thing I love the Forza devs for, besides having the balls to put out a Gran Turismo competitor, is their community updates.

They have weekly blogs, competitions, twitter trivia, their community involvement is phenomenal. A+++ and many kudos for being so involved with the people that put so many hours into their game

Never going to happen. Japanese game developers have this way of doing things where they have 0 communication with the fans. They do things their own way and screw anyone else.

Look at PD, NO community interaction AT ALL during the 6 years of development. Square Enix is the same, Kojima is the same, etc.

What I'm saying is, don't get your hopes up that they'll come out and tell us anything.

^^
He hit the nail on the head. This is the way those companies have done things for years. The gaming industry is growing so fast you think they would know they have a huge amount of fans waiting for there every word, but still silence.

^^
He hit the nail on the head. This is the way those companies have done things for years. The gaming industry is growing so fast you think they would know they have a huge amount of fans waiting for there every word, but still silence.

Yes indeed.

Gran turismos official site has a blog.. it has 1 entry that is: Gran turismo for PSP is out.. (sometime in 2009)

Thats the most pathetic blog i've ever seen!

Patch notes? none

Upcomming updates? Barely none

Any info regarding anything at all? none...

Millions of dissapointed fans: tons !

I think PD is not sure what they can do... they bit off more than they can chew this round and are frantically trying to do what they can going forward. They can't tell us because they aren't sure themselves.

I think PD is not sure what they can do... they bit off more than they can chew this round and are frantically trying to do what they can going forward. They can't tell us because they aren't sure themselves.

That is what I'm afraid of. :nervous:

Welcome to the world of Japanese developers. If you're shocked by this, don't be. This is par for the course.

Japan and the rest of the world have two very different development outlooks and "community interaction" isn't high on Japanese developer's lists. Maybe it's a language thing, maybe they just don't know how to approach it, but the fact is, you're going to get very little from PD.

I've been saying it for years now, Sony needs to do something about Gran Turismo and it's future. How can it compete if it doesn't even try? If EA had the guts to do a GT killer they would just copy Forza's community aspec and not GT's legacy. Even EA keeps up with its fans and community. Codemasters does this too, they have a suggestion section on their official forum. Test Drive also has a suggestion forum.

Someone thought I was crazy for wanting to ask Kaz if he would consider a North American and European division for the game. To collaborate as one globally, the current system is not going to succeed in the future and Sony arrogance will make it worse.

I've been saying it for years now, Sony needs to do something about Gran Turismo and it's future. How can it compete if it doesn't even try? If EA had the guts to do a GT killer they would just copy Forza's community aspec and not GT's legacy. Even EA keeps up with its fans and community. Codemasters does this too, they have a suggestion section on their official forum. Test Drive also has a suggestion forum.

Someone thought I was crazy for wanting to ask Kaz if he would consider a North American and European division for the game. To collaborate as one globally, the current system is not going to succeed in the future and Sony arrogance will make it worse.

It's not Sony's fault that PD won't deal with the community. Bare in mind, Sony also own Naughty Dog, one of the most active community focused developers out there, and Media Molecule, who built their game around community.

Then look at Polyphony and Team ICO. Nothing.

And no one is going to split a game across three developers worldwide. Gran Turismo may be that important to you, but not to Sony.

It's not Sony's fault that PD won't deal with the community. Bare in mind, Sony also own Naughty Dog, one of the most active community focused developers out there, and Media Molecule, who built their game around community.

Then look at Polyphony and Team ICO. Nothing.

And no one is going to split a game across three developers worldwide. Gran Turismo may be that important to you, but not to Sony.

I did not say its Sony's fault. Sony gives full control of GT to PD, Microsoft gives Turn 10 less than 2 years to finish their games. MS outsourced their modeling. By having NA, EU teams all they would do is model cars based on the local demand, not much. Sony is a Japanese company, however they do take global surveys for future products. And its just my opinion as it will never happen.

If there's one thing I love the Forza devs for, besides having the balls to put out a Gran Turismo competitor, is their community updates.

They have weekly blogs, competitions, twitter trivia, their community involvement is phenomenal. A+++ and many kudos for being so involved with the people that put so many hours into their game

That only holds true if you take away the "Che Chou" era.

My not so kosher opinion is that even a untrained Circus Monkey can see that the whole out-of-date secretive way of doing things when it goes for hyped up driving sims undoubtedly ended in a disaster for GT5`s initial release, I don`t see the sim anywhere on Norwegian game hit lists, so at least PD can now conclude that keeping their fans completely in the dark in terms of info on development process and future plans as well as not even once asking them what they want in a sim, is not the best trick in the industry..

Unless they can fix GT5`s immediate faults/complete lacks thereof, obligatory features and things like: Official logitech g2x support, adjust deadzones and sensivities and button settings, streamline the game interface so we wont have to click 20 buttons and go through 3 mins of loading just to access regular stuff, fix gear shifts while drifting, and at the very least add dlc content like cockpits for some of the inarguably uttermost popular cars like ae86, 240z, 280z, supra mkiv, s13 instead of cockpits for stupid concept cars that are not even in production, add ability to change rim size and width and add fender flares.. Unless, as I said, they dont do all this, Me and a lot of others are not even touching GT6 with fireproof gloves, since Forza 3 will then have surpassed GT5 in all ways except G2x support.

A lot of real life motorsports enthusiasts (Drifters mainly but also Grip drivers) that I know, decided not to buy the game based on my hours of playing the game to find answers for their questions about the games functions and features (Due to me receiving it a tad early) and the reason they didnt buy it was due to these above faults in the game, coming straight from them, being mostly the main core of ppl that wanted GT5, PD had better take it seriously imho.

And yes I know some fanb.. enthusiasts might tell me the game is already perfect, you wont mind if someone asks for it to be even better then would you :P Thats my pre-argument on that matter, Try to beat that! xD

Last edited:
I dont evenc are about DLC at this point. There are some glaring things in the game, IMO, that need to be fixed at some point, if not as soon as possible.

Like I said the biggest thing is the huge gap between standards and premiums. Im not even talking about cockpit views, even though those are incosistant, why they have different views aside from the cockpit view is anybodys guess.

But the lack of customization with the standards, almost makes me feel like why did they even bother. All I can think of is they just threw them in to say look we have a thousand cars.

I didnt even think about the lack of g2x support. That pretty unsatisfactory, they had 6 years to make this gameand the can get it to work completly with the wheel that was made for the last game. Then all they can say is "uhh well we really hope they make a new wheel for this game"

Have you seen the gtplanet News? It isn't much, per se, but at least it is a step in the right direction; which I think some individual members of PD should make themselves heard in that regard too.

I think I said this before but I really REALLY REALLY.... um, REALLY hope they patch in online Time Trial global leaderboards for the tracks. GT5:P had me addicted for the longest time trying different cars & comparing times, downloading ghosts & replays of the top times. How in the world could GT5 launch 3 years later and not even include this great feature? Did they forget?? :ill: Makes me so sad, there was some major lack of focus when they built this game.

Yeah, I love the game to bits, but if you sit and think about all the basic stuff missing such as online leaderboards...it does make you wonder if all they concentrated on was getting over 1000 cars. I would rather the game had 200 premiums, to be honest, you really only need about 20 cars.

I think in GT1 I pretty much started with a Toyota Supra and was still using that same car at the end but fully souped up with custom decals etc. I would rather they focused more on fewer cars but with more customisation.

I think they should make a patch that adds a standard to premium conversion for a select few cars. Like the best of the standards. They could neatly put it in GT Auto under racing modification.

I think they should make a patch that adds a standard to premium conversion for a select few cars. Like the best of the standards. They could neatly put it in GT Auto under racing modification.

Are you joking? Hell no, the ideal way to convert them would be to install a patch that includes newly modeled premium cars and hide the corresponding standard cars completely in the game, before we boot it up, like an update/patch.

This (fake)story has been around the web the past few hours. I found it on the Car Lounge. Link doesn't work, it's all fake anyways so if you see it, fake.

TheCarLounge
http://www.mx5nutz.com/forum/index.p...=32193&st=1170

For those too lazy to follow the link:

We were personally actually quite surprised by the raitings it got, we expected lower! We know the game doesn't show all the dev time we've put in to it, but we're working on that.

We did have a near finished product when we released prolouge, we were looking at a period of about 8 months before release.

Then Sony demanded the entire game be 1080p, 60FPS. We had it coded at 720p, 30FPS.

Sadly no more space for the systems we developed, so they're on the sideline. They'll be released as DLC eventually, but Sony pushed for a release now (PS3 sales need a boost for Christmas).

We ARE working on feedback though, and things like this keep coming up (along with DRM on saves, crappy menu design etc) and they will be improved through DLC if everything goes according to plan.

As for Premium/Standard, Kaz wanted over 1000 fully modeled car, but as I said before Sony rushed the release so we had to import the low poly GT4 models and upscale them a bit.

It was ambitious, but it would've worked. We had just enough power to work with to get everything in (including 3D crowds/trees and all cars as premiums).

The Yaris will appear in the used car dealership.

The Vitz is a new car and a premium model, it's a Yaris by another name.

Yes, there are more model specific races this time round. New events will be added via DLC, the first ones will be races with bhp limits (250, 350, 500).

-Standards upgraded to premiums (higher poly models, dash view, changeable rims etc).
-Brake tuning will be added
-New tracks are being worked on
-New races/championships will be released that are BHP limited, not manufacturer limited.
-There will be an as yet unnanounced update to online play (I can't say more than this).
-B Spec and replays will get fast forward buttons.
-Some more stuff I can't say yet

It's a common complaint, and it's being worked on. Priority for audio just now is to give the user their own BGM on menus as well as in race, to equalize the volume of in-race user BGM and to give a more seemless transition of audio when you change screens.
Some new engine sounds are being worked on too.

Sorry nothing I can do there. We are in the process of setting up dedicated race series though (this is the next stage in online development) to allow users to run their own series, just like those in A-Spec. Some of these will have rewards for the best racers.

There will be some old favourites brought back from earlier in the series, but I can't say which yet - it's a surprise!
We didn't want to just offer upscaled tracks so we're redesigning them from scratch. They look fantastic so far!

Exiting the menus is awkward right now, I agree. It's planned to make the "O" button take you right out of a menu and not have to press "X" to confirm every time, but it's not a high priority at the moment. There's always the "My home" button for when you're in A-Spec/B-Spec.

-Load times can't be fixed, it's due to the amount of data that has to be loaded from the disk, and we can't speed that up. If it's REALLY slow, disconnect from PSN. Equally if you have a slow internet connection menus will lag, since we've programmed online integration in both since and multiplayer.

-There's plans to release several new "Home Screens" and allow the user to choose the layout that suits them best. Not a priority though, we want to sort out the gameplay first.

-Jazz music, might not be everyones tastes but it was chosen at team meetings. As I said earlier, soon you'll be able to replace the background BGM with user BGM so it won't be an issue.

-Delievered cars are being worked on as a priority. Chances are the fuction will stay but the cutscene will be skippable.

-As for loving your own music, it'll be equalized in volume across all tracks soon, and you'll be able to change tracks in game, so it should get even better!

The conformation pop-ups are there because of Sony. Apparently people get all pissy if we don't warn them they're about to do something, so we don't really have a choice on all of them, but some will go. We did try though.

Everything will be released sequentially, bit by bit in different patches for those on slower internet connections (each patch will be no bigger than 150Mb).

As I said above, we had to import the AI system from GT4 with a few tweaks. We have a whole new system almost ready to go but Sony's requirements for 1080p/60FPS means we couldn't get it done on time. It'll be available in patch in due course.

DLC won't be announced until it's up and online. This way if it's delayed a bit we don't get people moaning again. We want it perfect, especially after the criticism the game has got.

Wait and see. New cars will be available via DLC *eventually*. Most likely these will cost.

We were pressured in to a release by Sony who really need to boost PS3 sales this Christmas. This title is a console seller, hence the rush.

All standard car sounds were imported from GT4 (with a bit of tweaking on some).
When they become premium cars the engine sounds will be updated too.
As for the engine sounds on premium cars, they were recorded specifically for GT5. If they don't sound good, get a new setup because in the test labs here they sound fantastic

NASCAR sounds were taken from the cars themselves. If they sound bad get a better speaker setup. As far as we're aware there's no EQ issues with engine noises but we're looking out for them in case they do crop up.

Can't change the rims on standards because they're completely different models to the premiums. High poly wheels on a low poly car would look crap. When they're upgraded to premium you'll be able to change wheels.

Phototravel isn't available for standard cars because the low poly count means they look bad if I'm honest. Jagged door frames, poor shadows, low quality textures.... we don't really want people taking pictures of those and spreading them round the net when we're working on making all cars premium, would give a false impression.
Photo travel will be available to all cars when upgraded to premium.

3D was a Sony requirement, to show off their new Bravia TVs (there will be bundle deals with TV/PS3/GT5 soon). Because of that we had to up it to 60FPS and Sony want the 1080p, again to show off the new Bravia TVs.

Go Karts were planned from the start for a bit of fun, I quite like them personally. They may have more use later on, just wait.

8 months after prolouge we would have had a finished game (at a much higher quality than the current release) but Sony gave their demands so we had to agree, hence almost 3 years of working our asses of to try and get what they wanted.

If it doesn't it'll be EQ or compression issues, and we'll certainly want to know about it. We check all the community boards daily so if it's posted on there we'll see it. Like I said they're all genuine recordings and no major issues reported so far.

GT3 was the last one really designed for users without a wheel in the high spec races. Wheels have become much more commonplace now, so it made sense to start catering development towards them.
GT5 is so much better with a wheel but only once we get the update out.

Like I said, wait and see what tracks are coming Who knows, there might be quite a nice collection of classics.

It'll be easier when everything is premium and you have the option of buying each car used or new (Lupo will be listed under the VW dealer).
The used car dealership will be getting a makeover with new "Sort By" options (Manufacturer/Price/Age/BHP etc). It'll still update just as often though, so it'll be no easier to get a second hand Lupo, but you'll be able to buy a new one (at a premium of course).

-Kaz likes the Skyline. He's not going to budge on that. Ever. His choice.

We can't say because they'll get flooded with comments of people wanting to contact us.
Lets just say if it's well known, we check it.
I can say we check the GT5 forum on the PS3 boards, but not and 3rd party ones (if it's a big community, we watch it).

t was debated, but Kaz sees GT5 as his own baby, he wants to nurture it for a long time, so waiting out until GT6 would mean several years of waiting. Sony wanted 1080p NOW for the new Bravia series, so we had to give in.
GT6 isn't even being worked on just now, we're probably looking at future gen consoles for it.

Back