• Thread starter yonis
  • 20 comments

yonis

The Innernette!
Premium
United States
Silicon Valley
yonis
The 10-lap Daytona race was driving me up a wall, but I finally got the gold. And so can you!

TIPS:
  • Turn off all driving assists except for the driving line. Disable ABS, Active Steering, etc. I know it's been said elsewhere, but it *does* help. Turning off ABS actually speeds up your car slightly even though you don't actually brake.
  • Start out by drafting to the front of the pack. It won't take more than a lap to get out in front. Staying there is the hard part.
  • The AI will slow down for each turn, but they'll catch up to you on the straights by drafting. To stay out in front, you'll need to stick to a specific driving line. You should have the driving line turned on in the assists but you don't want to follow it exactly. Most of the time the cars will try to overtake you on the straights on the left.

To block their attempts, on the long straight, you want to stay just a *smidge* to the right of the center of the straight, but to the left of the driving line. On the curve going past the finish line, go center ->near inside -> center. Most of the time they'll just bash into the rear of your car.
  • Don't panic if someone passes you on the straight. It'll happen every now and then, but you can draft and pass 'em. Remember that they slow slightly for turns as well.
  • Starting at around lap 9, the AI will start trying to overtake much more aggressively. Keep an eye on your rear view mirror so you can pull in front of them. If two cars are coming at you at the same time, block the one on the inside and let them push you past the one on the outside.
  • If you're using a SIXAXIS (like I was) you want to push left on the analog stick as smoothly as possible. This will let you carry more speed into the turn.
  • If the AI tries to pit you, let off the accelerator so you can regain traction. Much less frustrating to fall back a place than to have to start over again.
  • I had soft tires on my car, so I never had to let go of the accelerator. I may have scrubbed off a bit too much speed in the turns as a result.
  • I tuned my car to have a slightly lower ride height on the suspension and I reinforced the chassis. Don't know if it helped, just sharing what I did!

Hope this is helpful. :) Speedway racing is much more irritating than normal circuit racing!

Last edited:
I won this on Sunday after struggling quite a bit. I always managed to stay in front, but the AI always managed to do the PIT manouver. I got my race destroyed on lap 9 two times, lap 7 one time and lap 5 one time. On all occasions I lost to much time to re-group. Heck, I even managed to destroy my race on the opening straight on one of the races, but that was mostly my own fault:P

Took the lead on lap 1, lead em all. Downforce low, gear ratios set to a bit more acceleration, and hug the yellow line. You get a few bumps though so hold that wheel straight! I actually got my human stopwatch trophy here, ran a 42.331 two laps in a row.

I'll give all you GTP-Memebers/Guests/Nascar-Fans my knowledge in Nascar car set up as i have been to the race tracks for 6 years and stepped inside these loud machines lots of times...(Note that Nascar is all about suspension set up since you can not modify the cars)

For GT5 automobile setup for Nascar @ Daytona:
-First off, if you drove your new car (NascarStockCar) before changing the oil first, you have screwed up already, because now, your car will always have 850HP instead of 891HP boost.
(Also note that all of the toyotas get more HP boost than chevys or fords)

-Raise the front end all the way up in height (To avoid losing speed from bottoming out) (Plus, in real life, front height rules of the official nascar rule book state that all cars have a front height limit due to everyone wanting to raise the front end because the splitter does not allow you lower the car without it bottoming out)
-Lower the rear end to -15 in height (To lose drag)
-Camber is unfortunatelly useless in GT5 Oval racing as you can not adjust each tire individually and so one side will not grip and will wear out very rapidly...the other bad thing to camber in one side acting negatively is that it destroys your car set up on ovals if set up higher than 3.9 degrees.
-Spring pressure to 18.5
-Dampers to 8-4F 8-4R
-Set your gear ratios to higher than 336mph if your planing to draft, or 224mph if your going by yourself (Ex. Qualifing).
-ABS set to off
-No traction control.
-Downforce of 35front and 55rear. (funny how in real life, Nascar does not allow any team to adjust the rear spoiler at daytona, but in GT5, you can)
-Set the brake bias to 2front 2rear as youll probably only need a tiny bit.
-And most importantly, Set the LSD Acceleration&InitialTorque to 60 if you dont want to spin out at high speeds on corner exits...Its better than traction control because you dont lose power, but you do lose acceleration on exits of roadcourses with tight turns.

If you have followed this car set up, winning at daytona should be easy because your car/driver can now run 217mph full throttle right next to the yellow line and get away from the pack for easy carrier/online wins. Oh, and dont forget smooth driving when you turn, it really matters.

Last edited:
I'll give all you GTP-Memebers/Guests/Nascar-Fans my knowledge in Nascar car set up...(Note that Nascar is all about suspension set up since you can not modify the cars)

For GT5 automobile setup for Nascar @ Daytona:
-First off, if you drove your new car (NascarStockCar) before changing the oil first, you have screwed up already, because now, your car will always have 850HP instead of 891HP boost.
(Also note that all of the toyotas get more HP boost than chevys or fords)

-Raise the front end all the way up in height (To avoid losing speed from bottoming out)
-Lower the rear end to -15 in height (To lose drag)
-Camber is unfortunatelly useless in GT5 Oval racing as you can not adjust each tire individually and so one side will not grip and will wear out very rapidly...the other bad thing to camber in one side acting negatively is that it destroys your car set up on ovals if set up higher than 3.9 degrees.
-Spring pressure to 18.5
-Dampers to 8-4F 8-4R
-Set your gear ratios to higher than 336mph if your planing to draft, or 224mph if your going by yourself (Ex. Qualifing).
-ABS set to off
-No traction control.
-Downforce of 35front and 55rear.
-Set the brake bias to 2front 2rear as youll probably only need a tiny bit.
-And most importantly, Set the LSD Acceleration to 60 if you dont want to spin out at high speeds on corner exits...Its better than traction control because you dont lose power, but you do lose acceleration on exits of roadcourses with tight turns.

If you have followed this car set up, winning at daytona should be easy because your car can now run 217mph full throttle right next to the yellow line and get away from the pack for easy carrier/online wins. Oh, and dont forget smooth driving when you turn, it really matters.

You sir are a ****in CHAMPION ;) just changed to your exact setup as advised (224mph gearing) was infront by end of straight on 1st lap am on 6th lap now just got human stopwatch and am confident will go onto win..

Thanks man ;)

bah got pitted on start line lap @ start of lap 10 *groans* but i flipped and got the rollover trophy LOL so not a complete loss..

And this setup WILL work for sure...

that's what you get for pausing midrace to post hehe

Awesome set up man, I did it on the 3rd try with 370 gears. Thank you so much. What a tough race, that was harder than Indy in Like the wind.

Do we really need another thread on this ? Please use the search function before creating your own topics then it help everyone.

I'm glad you said before I.

Do we really need another thread on this ? Please use the search function before creating your own topics then it help everyone.

1. I just typed "nascar daytona" into the search and saw nothing helpful in all 4 pages. The only way I found this thread was through Google. But thanks for the pro tip!

2. Even if there are other threads like this, this one is just one line of text on the index page and the idea that you could be even slightly upset by this defies logic and makes me lose faith in the human race.

I recommend not leading the whole race, just in case you dont have the nascar skills some of us do. On the las lap, just get the draft down the back stretch and pass them getting into turn three. If youre like me, though, you will just have a blast tandem racing with different guys and pass them at the end.

Okay, I've searched the internet for help on this race. Eventually I got it, and I would like to share with you how I did it, to help anyone else who's having problems out of this race.

First off, you need a NASCAR vehicle. It really doesn't matter which one you pick, so just go with the one you think looks the coolest (I chose one of the Toyota Camry cars, #11).

Next, give it an oil change, even though you just bought it. I'm sure most of you know this trick, but it gives a boost to horsepower. You can buy the chassis rod things from the tuning shop, but I did it just fine without them.

Next up, start clearing races. I won all of the other races with at least a four-second gap.

Okay, now that Daytona is your only one left, here's the guide. As soon as the race starts, draft all opponents until you're in second place. Stay in second place and draft the guy ahead of you until the last second. Overpass him in time, and you'll win with a small gap (Mine was a whopping 0.025 seconds).

Good luck, and I'm not saying this a solid way to win every time, but it's what worked for me.:)

Back