CHEAP Cockpit Alternatives ONLY

• Thread starter mnarciso
  • 1,923 comments
^ Where did you find that seat? I've been looking for something similar but haven't found one cheap enough...I don't need a proper racing seat for a video game, though it would be nice. Just can't justify paying for it :)

^ Where did you find that seat? I've been looking for something similar but haven't found one cheap enough...I don't need a proper racing seat for a video game, though it would be nice. Just can't justify paying for it :)

He mentioned in his build thread he found it at Jegs, you can find it on their website.

GT4-Setup-01.jpg

You asked, we answered! :crazy: What a difference an AK Rocker makes.

GT4-Setup-02.jpg

GT4-Setup-04.jpg

Brake/Accelerator is now elevated. :D

http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/GT4-Setup-03.jpg

http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/GT4-Setup-05.jpg

http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/GT4-Setup-06.jpg

http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/GT4-Setup-07.jpg

http://www.feldoncentral.com/forumpics/GT4-Setup-08.jpg

I noticed you both drive with your left foot on the floor. Is this out of necessity to keep the "Rocker" from rocking? I highly doubt it would work for me as both of my feet are pressing at the same time quite often. I left foot brake.

Here's my design idea. The base is 2'x2'. The bottom legs are stationary with leg supports and the upper legs are adjustable. The table for the wheel is also adjustable. It all folds flat and there will be straps to keep the legs attached to the base when folded. Handles on the sides can be used for transport... with wheel and pedals attached. :D

wheelstand.jpg

IMAG0335.jpg

IMAG0334.jpg

IMAG0337.jpg

IMAG0338.jpg

Working out pretty well so far.
Only glued the base under the seat, debating which joints to leave unglued for transport.

Had the DFGT before and it was nice, but dang the G27 is sweet!

it wasnt the cheapest thing but i guess thats a relative thing. full tube chassis, motion effects generated platform. approx 250pcs went into it and its nerve wracking the closer you get to the end, flash solvent welding means if you screw up it cant be undone, it can be cut out and ya better hope its in a good spot. 3 yrs of work has paid off. it is ABS pipe and a 2x4 foot plywood floor, now using modified DFGT with Logi MoMo wheel, APC 4point seat, functioning DOOR and flip up wheel mount plus a roof. BenQ mp522 DLP projector @1280x768 sitting 6 feet away from screen which is a 1/8" piece of melamite 66"W and 41"H. Chassis has independant front coil over shoks can tilt approx 10 degrees and rotate about 10 degrees (+5,-5 from neutral) as well. Next frame is a 787B Mazda with functional Gull Wing Doors. i gotta say its cool to see how we all have the desire to build something that enhances the experience. my little project put me down about $500.00cdn for chair-wheel and chassis- not including my time lol. but i know have an effects generated simulator- no its not a motion platform it uses a second DFGT motor and gearbox assy run in parallel with the DFGT wheel to duplicate the effects. we all know what if feels like when the wheel goes 'LIMP' say on a crest or understeering, well it feels really cool when the chassis does it :) Well heres a few pics of it hope it insires ya.

From what was already in my living room, (i.e. roman-style backless senators chair), I took a board and covered it with a black pillowcase. I then lashed that to the chair with two ratcheting lock-down straps through the arms of the chair. get orange straps and I think the colors work well. What do you think?

From what was already in my living room, (i.e. roman-style backless senators chair), I took a board and covered it with a black pillowcase. I then lashed that to the chair with two ratcheting lock-down straps through the arms of the chair. get orange straps and I think the colors work well. What do you think?
I think you should post a photo! ;)

imag02271.jpg

I've been at this for 3 hours, can't get the picture to be correct size. I've reduced it, cropped it, scaled it, rediced file size, uploded, downloaded stood on my head, restarted the internet, the entire internet, I don't know why, I even have photo shop elements. :grumpy:

I can't even find instructions on this website so if anyone has a clue, shoot me a message. thanks

$50 for the honda seat at junkyard, the rest is construction leftovers.

I call it the Unistrut cockpit MARK-1

Last edited:
Big pictures on my small 19 inch monitor :ill:. I had to zoom in 5x to be able to see your photo. :D

I don't have enough space for dedicated cockpit, so I must move some furniture in order to play with G27 and I found quite annoying setting up whole wheel together everytime I want to play.

So I made board from 10mm PVC-CAW http://www.simona-america.com/msds/PVC-CAW.pdf. This material si sturdy and doesn't bend. I bolted up wheel and shifter to the board, power supply is also connected to the wheel. Manipulation with whole board is easy and everything is ready to use, just pedals needs to be attached to the wheel.

Images are better than words, so here they come
cockpit0.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit3.jpg

cockpit4.jpg

cockpit5.jpg

Modified mine a bit. I started off with the Ridgid Fliptop which I got at Home Depot for 30 bucks (see my post earlier in the thread). Worked well but I had two issues with it. First, the plastic piece had a bit of wiggle since it's meant to be adjustable which I found annoying. Second, it was a little too far way from me when sitting on my couch which caused my arms to cramp up after playing for a while.

I unbolted the top piece and removed it and then cut the brackets off (since the they prevented the wheel from fitting on the T piece) and mounted the wheel directly to the metal T piece (along with some foam tape to cushion it). I found that if I leave the back leg locked into place I can pull the wheel closer to my couch and luckily the angle is just about perfect with it mounted on the metal T piece. I throw a zip tie to keep the back leg locked into place.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Works well and is nice and solid and most importantly I can stow it in my coat closet in about 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Just built this last week with a buddy. I was inspired by the Racing otttoman guy from overclockers.au. I wanted a solution that was significant other approved so I built a huge storage chest/racing coffin. Also, I don't like a racing chair setup sitting in the living room either.

Original setup.
IMG_0024.JPG

3/4 inch MDF
2' wide x 5' long x 20" high.

Built
70KUhvQyBmOo.jpg

Finish in black vynil
r7r6kE6CbKHr.jpg

In front of the TV
YxY7R9YOkAkK.jpg

Stowed away when finished
5iBKqbVntBp9.jpg

Bean bag is good enough till I source a folding racing chair like the playseat does. If I can find a used one I'll pick it up.

Total cost is $180 for the box. ? for a folding seat...

Actually, if I didn't special order quick release hinges for the top and I only used half of the upholstry I bought, the cost comes down to $130

Last edited:
I used an old dresser from wal-mart! All i did was take the drawers out, and dremeled a hole for the pedal input wires. Its feels just like my M3's cockpit, which is cool. All i really have to do is raise the pedals about 4 inches to get a more realistic cockpit feel.

Ill be buying a cheap car seat soon, and ill just modify the spinny chair to house the seat. It will be ghetto rigged to the max!

2yz0euq.jpg

Ok, the chair I used for mine is now on sale 7.99 euros on Ikea in Portugal, so I thought I'd finally share my rig:

The front is just a wooden shelf. The connecting bit, is a part of a chair I also got from Ikea for 4 euros, without legs. It was a one piece back/seat, so I just took advantage of the pre curved wood and cut 2 slices of it.

Will (eventually):
- make it even more rigid by connecting all 6 feet
- make it a bit lower so it can hide behind the couch you can see in the background
- cover the sides in plywood and paint it all black
- make holes/slots in the top for: a) beer holder, b) cables, c) tv remote

Hope it's useful!

edit:
The hole to the left of the wheel is there to make it easier to get in/out. I was always scraping my chin on the edge :ouch:

My setup didn't really come out cheap in the end cause I didn't have any wood or hardware. I at least had all the tools used.

5189177703_7c8785f03e_z.jpg

-G

Last edited:
I had a sort of different problem for my cockpit needs. I needed a setup that was to be given to my six year old, it was the "condition" from the CFO to have it in our TV room. Myself I wanted a super cheap solution since I had never really done any video game racing and wanted to "test it" before investing in a more professional solution. On top of this I also wanted a second setup for an old $20 Logitech wheel I had purchased but never used.

A visit to Home Depot showed that it was going to be too expensive and too complicated (I never used any power tools and consider myself extremely novice in DIY projects).

My solution was IKEA.I knew that they very often had discontinued boards/doors very cheap at their outlet corner. Sure enough they were discontinuing some black cabinet doors in tons of sizes. I bought a couple of doors at $3 each and togehter with my neighbours jigsaw I made the below solution. It is actually very sturdy (I used a ton of 90 degree angel metal brackets).

The measurements I made based on the height and width of my IKEA Poang chair.

Cost: $39
Cabinet doors $15 (5x$3) IKEA Outlet
Angle brackets $6.70 Home Depot
Screws $4 Home Depot
Caster wheels for easy removal to storage room $1 (2x$0.50) IKEA Outlet
Handles $0.50 IKEA Outlet
LED lights $5 IKEA outlet
Stickers $7 Internet
Rearview mirror (to attach my PS3 eye to later on) $0 (junk in my garage)
Extenion cable for power strip $0 (garage junk)
Car door mat $0 (garage junk)
Spray paint for accents $0 (garage junk)

IMG_9756.JPG

IMG_9763.JPG

IMG_9757.JPG

IMG_9754.JPG

For USB and power cord cables:
IMG_9760.JPG

This small one I made for the old Logitech wheel I had
IMG_9767.JPG

Back